Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy

Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ever wanted an insight into counseling? Or wished you could be a 'fly-on-the-wall' in a psychotherapy session? Couch Fiction allows you to peep through the key-hole of the therapy room door and, more than that, read the minds of the protagonists...

Based on a case study of Pat (our sandal-wearing, cat-loving psychotherapist) and her new client, James (an ambitious barrister...more
Published June 15th 2010 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published 2010)

Paul
Psychotherapy gives me the creeps. But – wait a moment – why did I say CREEPS? Was it because I was going to write that it gives me the WILLIES but I didn't want to write the word WILLY because I don't want to draw attention to my WILLY which as you see I have now done? How rancidly ironic. I see I have subverted myself – again.

You can't win with psychotherapists. But wait – who said there was anything to "win"? is that how I look at life? As an eternal struggle of winning and losing?

Aaargh.

I pr...more
Louise
Rather interesting - good for anyone with an interest, shallow or deep in psychotherapy.
Sam Quixote
The book is a graphic depiction of a psychotherapy case of a man "James" who is a successful barrister who begins to steal for no reason. His kleptomania is explored by his therapist "Pat". Revelations occur and James is cured.

I read this thinking it would be an interesting comic and, as a comics fan of both popular and indie varieties, gave this a try. Unfortunately it's not very interesting or well drawn.

First off, the "characters" never seem real but just cyphers for the author to put into...more
Wes
If you start this book you'll finish it quickly because once you're granted fly-on-the-wall access to an uber-realistic psychotherapy session it's not something you tend to walk away from in a hurry. I was engaged, entertained and left feeling like I learned a thing or two, Couch Fiction was well worth the read.

A graphic novel that explores the months-long encounter between London psychotherapist Pat and her client/patient/co-lead James, a successful barrister with an unhealthy compulsive addic...more
Elodie Ladlow
erm this was okay but I was expecting better, the client and counsellor scenario and the counsellors ideas felt abit to simplistic in the message that "we talk and thus everything falls into place with a happily ever after and we never again have that same problem" it doesnt so much acknowledge the fluency of the change and the chance that the presenting issues may come back and there is not always a permanent cure but rather a continous battle where we may have off days. Having said that I did...more
Monica
It's like one big insider joke for psychology grad students. Love love love it. Excerpts will make it into all future graduate classes I teach!
chris tervit
Having previously read Susie Orbach's 'The Impossibility of sex' years ago when I was working in psychiatry/psychotherapy I was really keen to read this after an interview I read about the author. She is married to Grayson Perry the artist who likes to dress up in his female alter-ego & did some amazing vases that won the Turner prize few yrs ago.

Loved all the explanations of the psychotherapy terms in simple fun language. Great cartoon drawings too. A fun afternoon read. Will pass on- I th...more
Kate
Jun 11, 2012 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This was an interesting read. It works both on the level of the narrative of a man's therapeutic intervention and on the level of describing the process of therapy from a clinical perspective. Interesting ideas that I hadn't considered before. I think the narrative element alone is not quite enough to make a whole book, but together they work. I want to recommend this to my friend who is about to start a counseling psychology program.
Sue Black
Excellent book. Easy to read and understand and really gets over the process of psychotherapy by showing what the therapist and patient are thinking during their sessions. I'm not a massive fan of graphic format, but it really works here.
Deborah
Very enlightening and entertaining ...and applicable to one's life - read through first without commentary, then re-read with, as the graphic novel portion is an easy read.
Hannah Wingfield
Reviewed here, at my book blog.
Judith
I've never read a book like this....it's like meta-psychotherapy! Very insightful and funny narrator....sometimes at odd moments. Ha!
Gemma
May 17, 2012 Gemma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Such a smart way to introduce people to how psychotherapy works. Funny, smart, insightful.
Andrew (Ace)
Interesting for a random pick-up from the library. :-)
Mitch Donaberger
very strange storytelling style.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mahesh Balaji
Mahesh Balaji marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kelly Long
Kelly Long marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Geraldine
Geraldine marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
MelonSamba
MelonSamba marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Rick Schultz
Rick Schultz marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Philippa Perry, author of How to Stay Sane, is a psychotherapist and writer who has written pieces for The Guardian, The Observer, Time Out, and Healthy Living magazine and has a column in Psychologies Magazine. In 2010, she wrote the graphic novel Couch Fiction, in an attempt to demystify psychotherapy. She lives in London and Sussex with her husband, the artist Grayson Perry, and enjoys gardenin...more
More about Philippa Perry...
How to Stay Sane Tabitha Miggins, Ship's Cat (on the PIll Ferry) Mega Machines (Young Telegraph Books) Wie man den Verstand behält: Kleine Philosophie der Lebenskunst