Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts (Llewellyn's High Magick)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Modern Magick is the most popular, most complete, step-by-step instruction manual on how to do real magick that has ever been published. Already over 100,000 people are using it.

Author Donald Michael Kraig wrote this after teaching the information in classes for ten years. It is refined, tested, and easy to understand. It is filled with exercises, techniques, and rituals

Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Magick

Chris
Nov 16, 2007 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: initiates
DMK does a decent job of laying out a survey of the basic theory of the "High Magickal Arts". Be careful, though, much of his information is incorrect, and his pronunciations for the Hebrew is abysmal.

However, this is an excellent starter and resource book. It lays out several important rituals in a (relatively) straightforward and easy-to-understand manner.

DMK tends to give you the theory (most of it borrowed, and badly) for each chapter, then tags a useful ritual at the end.

This book rides som...more
Deb
A solid textbook for ceremonial magick with an extensive annotated bibliography for further study. Donald Michael Craig gives not just the words of the rituals, but how to perform them -- what to visualize, gestures, tools, a daily practice.

I'll be rereading and continuing with further studies, but I am very happy with where the book has allowed me to accomplish thus far.
Neueziel
This is the go to book for anyone with a genuine interest in the real occult. Kraig is very down to earth, dispels a lot of myths and superstitions surrounding the occult and is very factual..given the subject. The book is split up into lessons but it has a wealth of information and experience if you're simply curious.
Dave/Maggie Bean
This review will be of interest only to Christians -- especially complacent, lukewarm, "Sunday Morning" Christians.

I'm not here to proselytize, but rather to clean my own house. My hard-shell, *sola scriptura* Protestantism notwithstanding, I must concede that many of my unsaved atheist friends are, in practice, more decent and upstanding than many of my co-religionists. Despite the fact that they don't profess my faith (and thusly can't be expected to practice it), they often observe the Golde...more
Bad Tim
somebody recommended this book after i specifically said i wasn't interested in something that relied on judeo-christian concepts.

this book is exclusively about working with the kabalah, with small amounts of eastern philosophy that are generally taken out of context and are only cursorily explored, and one patronizing section on earth-based magic.

kraig's writing style is redundant and dogmatic. he attempts to prove everything from reincarnation to the existence of the jewish god using logical...more
David
I couldn't put this book down. I fell in love with this overly simplified foray into high magick. It gives you a clear course on where to start and how long to spend training on given techniques. Will you come out of it on top of the world, with the power to put your enemies on their knees? Well, no. But will you come away with a deep seated sense of understanding the mysteries of the universe? I'm betting "no" again. However, you can feel free to hang as much personal meaning on completing this...more
Kevin
Though I do not agree with a lot of the ways that Kraig approaches the material, he has greater shoulders than his that he is standing on and this work is a phenomenal introduction to the magickal arts. I can give no more credit to any other single work for getting me up, off my butt in the early years and getting me doing actual practical magickal work.

I recommend this book very highly for anyone looking to get into a routine of daily practical magick.
Erisson
I read this a LONG time ago (16 or 18 years), and it was really the first occult/new age book I picked up. I remember enjoying it, but I also remember it being a bit more structure than I was comfortable with. But there were techniques in it I've internalized, and it was an effective introduction to the whole arena.
Eishexe
The first book on Ceremonial Magick I ever picked up. It's a great practical primer, filled with exercises and practices the practitioner can immediately begin performing. Don't be surprised if it takes you a few years to work through this one the way it's meant to be done.
T.J. Perkins
Nov 28, 2010 T.J. Perkins rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pagans, Wiccans & anyone looking for the truth
Recommended to T.J. by: My High Priestess Gwen
This book is direct and to-the-point. I loved it! I've implemented many of the techniques and found them to be most useful and they actually worked! Modern Magick covers everything a new magician would need, and it's great for the modern Witch also.
Layo
This book really got me motivated when I was a beginner, but later when I had a handle on the Hebrew alphabet I wanted to bonk the guy. There are several techniques in the book I've never tried and am not likely to.
Jalice
Sep 10, 2011 Jalice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It takes itself a bit too seriously. But it was very interesting. I didn't finish it because I had to return it, but I will finish it if I can ever get my hands on it again. :)
Aaron Meyer
One of those foundational books that one gets a hold of for Ceremonial Magick. Still a useful book.
Marianne Staveley
I started reading this book a couple years ago. Must get around to finishing it one of these days...
Carvedwood
Not terribly useful for my needs, really, but a very interesting read.
Brian Lambert
Still scan from time to time. Easy explanations, well written.
Joshua
This is the book I keep coming back to.
Carolina Dean

Decent overview of ceremonial magic.
Stacy Curro
Interesting if you're a Wiccan.
Arctica
A solid occult must-read.
Anita
May 06, 2009 Anita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any serious student of the occult
Very comprehensive, clear, informative. No fooling around. An important book.
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
May Que
May Que marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Nataleigh Stevens
Nataleigh Stevens marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Dya N
Dya N marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings
  • The Book of Ceremonial Magic
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Instant Magick: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Spellcraft
  • The Witches' God
Modern Sex Magick: Secrets of Erotic Spirituality Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts Tarot & Magic Using Modern Magick The Magical Life of Scott Cunningham