Start by marking “Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts (Llewellyn's High Magick)” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,015 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Modern Magick is the most popular, most complete, step-by-step instruction manual on how to do real magick that has ever been published. Already over 100,000 people are using it.

Author Donald Michael Kraig wrote this after teaching the information in classes for ten years. It is refined, tested, and easy to understand. It is filled with exercises, techniques, and rituals

Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Magick, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

The Elves
Jul 28, 2015 The Elves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some people have called Donald Michael Kraig’s Modern Magick a classic, but we think that is rather like calling some object that is fifty years old an antique. Time, and readers, will determine if it is really a classic of occult lore or not. It is, however, a good study course in ceremonial magic, particularly if you like to use the Kabbalah in your workings.
While we didn’t agree with everything he said in the book, we found more often than not that we had independently arrived at the same c
Nov 16, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: initiates
DMK does a decent job of laying out a survey of the basic theory of the "High Magickal Arts". Be careful, though, much of his information is incorrect, and his pronunciations for the Hebrew is abysmal.

However, this is an excellent starter and resource book. It lays out several important rituals in a (relatively) straightforward and easy-to-understand manner.

DMK tends to give you the theory (most of it borrowed, and badly) for each chapter, then tags a useful ritual at the end.

This book rides som
Aug 08, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid textbook for ceremonial magick with an extensive annotated bibliography for further study. Donald Michael Craig gives not just the words of the rituals, but how to perform them -- what to visualize, gestures, tools, a daily practice.

I'll be rereading and continuing with further studies, but I am very happy with where the book has allowed me to accomplish thus far.
Jun 28, 2012 Neueziel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the go to book for anyone with a genuine interest in the real occult. Kraig is very down to earth, dispels a lot of myths and superstitions surrounding the occult and is very factual..given the subject. The book is split up into lessons but it has a wealth of information and experience if you're simply curious.
Dave/Maggie Bean
This review will be of interest only to Christians -- especially complacent, lukewarm, "Sunday Morning" Christians.

I'm not here to proselytize, but rather to clean my own house. My hard-shell, *sola scriptura* Protestantism notwithstanding, I must concede that many of my unsaved atheist friends are, in practice, more decent and upstanding than many of my co-religionists. Despite the fact that they don't profess my faith (and thusly can't be expected to practice it), they often observe the Golde
Bad Tim
Sep 07, 2008 Bad Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan
somebody recommended this book after i specifically said i wasn't interested in something that relied on judeo-christian concepts.

this book is exclusively about working with the kabalah, with small amounts of eastern philosophy that are generally taken out of context and are only cursorily explored, and one patronizing section on earth-based magic.

kraig's writing style is redundant and dogmatic. he attempts to prove everything from reincarnation to the existence of the jewish god using logical
Constantinos Nterziotis
This is one of the best books for Ceremonial magick. It is very challenging with step by step excercises, simplyfing -as much as possible- the esoteric practices of Golden Dawn. The readerd should stay focused and try to perform the rituals with much willpower.
I couldn't put this book down. I fell in love with this overly simplified foray into high magick. It gives you a clear course on where to start and how long to spend training on given techniques. Will you come out of it on top of the world, with the power to put your enemies on their knees? Well, no. But will you come away with a deep seated sense of understanding the mysteries of the universe? I'm betting "no" again. However, you can feel free to hang as much personal meaning on completing this ...more
Robert Mitchell
Oct 24, 2015 Robert Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kraig's book is thoroughly researched, well written, and meticulous in its detail. Well, at least the first third of it is.

I couldn't finish the book, but it's not his fault. The practice of High Magic just isn't for me. But guess what? If Kraig hadn't done such a great job of getting across the essence of the subject I might have had to read the entire thing to realize it.

This one is so exhaustive that, even though I'm not going to work the exercises, it goes in my collection as a topical refe
Feb 01, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I do not agree with a lot of the ways that Kraig approaches the material, he has greater shoulders than his that he is standing on and this work is a phenomenal introduction to the magickal arts. I can give no more credit to any other single work for getting me up, off my butt in the early years and getting me doing actual practical magickal work.

I recommend this book very highly for anyone looking to get into a routine of daily practical magick.
I read this a LONG time ago (16 or 18 years), and it was really the first occult/new age book I picked up. I remember enjoying it, but I also remember it being a bit more structure than I was comfortable with. But there were techniques in it I've internalized, and it was an effective introduction to the whole arena.
Jan 23, 2010 Eishexe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
The first book on Ceremonial Magick I ever picked up. It's a great practical primer, filled with exercises and practices the practitioner can immediately begin performing. Don't be surprised if it takes you a few years to work through this one the way it's meant to be done.
T.J. Perkins
Nov 28, 2010 T.J. Perkins rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pagans, Wiccans & anyone looking for the truth
Recommended to T.J. by: My High Priestess Gwen
This book is direct and to-the-point. I loved it! I've implemented many of the techniques and found them to be most useful and they actually worked! Modern Magick covers everything a new magician would need, and it's great for the modern Witch also.
Jan 03, 2010 Layo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really got me motivated when I was a beginner, but later when I had a handle on the Hebrew alphabet I wanted to bonk the guy. There are several techniques in the book I've never tried and am not likely to.
Sep 10, 2011 Jalice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It takes itself a bit too seriously. But it was very interesting. I didn't finish it because I had to return it, but I will finish it if I can ever get my hands on it again. :)
Nov 03, 2015 Nico rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr Kraig surely has a vast knowledge of the field of Kabalah. A great book should you wish to gain insight into the art of Ceremonial Magick.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 10, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
One of those foundational books that one gets a hold of for Ceremonial Magick. Still a useful book.
Marianne Staveley
I started reading this book a couple years ago. Must get around to finishing it one of these days...
Apr 30, 2010 Carvedwood rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, pagan
Not terribly useful for my needs, really, but a very interesting read.
Brian Lambert
Still scan from time to time. Easy explanations, well written.
This is the book I keep coming back to.
Carolina Dean
Jun 09, 2011 Carolina Dean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Decent overview of ceremonial magic.
Stacy Curro
Interesting if you're a Wiccan.
May 06, 2009 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any serious student of the occult
Very comprehensive, clear, informative. No fooling around. An important book.
Easton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2016
Helyoshka marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Abdelkader erhim
Abdelkader erhim marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Pradeep Sahdev
Pradeep Sahdev marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
T.R.O marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • 777 and Other Qabalistic Writings of Aleister Crowley
  • Liber Kaos
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Real Magic
  • Protection & Reversal Magick: A Witch's Defense Manual (Beyond 101)
  • Summoning Spirits: The Art of Magical Evocation