Hawkmoon: The Runestaff

Hawkmoon: The Runestaff (The History of the Runestaff #4)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,199 ratings  ·  24 reviews
In Michael Moorcock’s vast and imaginative multiverse, Law and Chaos wage war in a never-ending struggle over the fundamental rules of existence. Here, in this universe, Dorian Hawkmoon traverses a world of antique cities, scientific sorcery, and crystalline machines as he pulled unwillingly into a war that pits him against the ruthless and dominating armies of Granbretan.
Published December 7th 2010 by Tor Books (first published 1969)

Robert Beveridge
Michael Moorcock, The Runestaff (DAW, 1969)

Ah, you may think the adventures of good old Dorian Hawkmoon come to an end with the fourth and final novel of the Runestaff. Likely, so did Moorcock (the fifth book in the series, the start of a new trilogy, wasn't released for another four years, while these four were released over a period of a little more than twelve months). Now, with everything in place, it's time for Hawkmoon and his friend Huillam d'Averc to seek out the Runestaff itself. Proble...more
Mike (the Paladin)
The (somewhat tragic) completion to the Hawkmoon "History of the Runestaff" series. The Eternal Champion Cycle is one of fantasy's classic series along with Zelazny's Amber series, the Wizard of Earthsea, and a few others. And I think it belongs there, don't miss them.

This book ends or completes the "first" Dorian Hawkmoon series, and ends in a way that (if you're like me) will send you racing to find the second (Castle Brass) series. Well written and for it's brevity and plot driven style surpr...more
Mark
In a decaying society, a hero's fate is bound to a mysterious magical artifact which encompasses his success and his doom. In other words, exactly like every other Michael Moorcock book.

This is the final book of the series, except the following three books, where everybody dies, except those who don't.

The author does an interesting thing in that the chapters in this book are very short - averaging 5 pages - which gives a sense of chaos and a sense of hurtling towards the conclusion.
Larou
The fourth and final volume of The History of the Runestaff. This is mostly a parallel narrative, chronicling the further adventures of Dorian Hawkmoon (the hero) in America in one thread and showing how Baron Meliadus (the villain) makes a bid for power in the centre of the Granbretan Empire, until both threads converge in an epic battle where the final confrontation takes place. There is little doubt of course that the hero will prevail in the end, but even so, the ending is not entirely happy...more
Jorge
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in June 1999.

It is appropriate for the final volume of Moorcock's series to share its title with the series as a whole, and with the mysterious object that lies at the heart of the story, the Runestaff. For it is here that the influence of the Runestaff becomes apparent and here we also get to see the object itself for the first time.

Though this is clear, there are many questions about the Runestaff that are left almost completely unexplained. We are told its...more
Traummachine
After and long and dangerous journey, Hawkmoon and company just want to return home to Castle Brass for a little R&R. But NOOOOOOOOO, that irritating Runestaff keeps trying to boss them around!

The last book in the Hawkmoon quartet finally reveals more about the mysterious Warrior in Jet and Gold, finally brings some resolution to the problems with the evil empire of Gran Bretan, and finally reveals something about the Runestaff itself. I say "finally" because despite the low page count this...more
Fantasy Literature
This reissue reveals how much epic fantasy has changed since the 1960s. It’s hard to believe that there is an epic fantasy stretched over just four 200-page entries. Certainly, Hawkmoon: The Runestaff is an old-school sword and sorcery tale. Originally published in 1969, Michael Moorcock’s The Runestaff is the fourth entry in The History of the Runestaff. Tor has now released the story as Hawkmoon: The Runestaff. How have things changed?

The premise is archetypal. Duke Dorian Hawkmoon, an Eternal...more
Ian Banks
Kenny
A pretty darned satisfying conclusion to the runestaff series, with Dorian Hawkmoon trying to battle against his fate and return home to castle Brass and his wife, but ending up taking down the Dark Empire.

I love that these 4 short novels tell a more epic tale than many modern doorstop series. Hawkmoon is a true hero who constantly rises to the occasion and overcomes terrible foes at the risk of terrible personal losses.

I'm still a bit miffed that we never know exactly what the runestaff is/does...more
Graham
So nice to read a story where the author isn't afraid to kill off major characters on both sides of the conflict. So nice to see female characters, like Éowyn in LotR, taking part in battles rather than sitting spinning at home. Oh, and pregnant too (how many authors have the bravery to do that, even now?). So, well done Mr Moorcock. Rollicking end to a rollicking story, more plots than a municipal allotment, more twists than a coiled rope. Also nice to see where different authors got inspiratio...more
Daniela
Espero que sea la próxima película de cine estilo el Señor de los anillos porque Tolkien es el único autor con el que me atrevo a comparar a Moorcock a pesar de que éste a sido durante años detractor del primero se parecen más de lo que creen en la calidad de sus libros. La historia nunca es aburrida y es imposible dejar de leer, con mucha más acción y sorpresas que otros libros del mismo corte.
Al Tarancón
My edition seems to be from a different editor, Mayflower, but it's not listed, and these seems the closer one, in cover and age.

Mi edicion parece ser de otro editor, Mayflower, pero no aparece listada, y esta parece la mas sililar, en portada y epoca.
David Bonesteel
A vast improvement over the previous book in this series, but still only mediocre. There were many imaginative elements, but it never really comes alive. The culminating battle is exciting, however, and the whole story moves very quickly.
Keith Davis
In The Runestaff Moorcock pulls off one of the darkest most unexpected twist endings in all of Fantasy. I was marching right along with Hawkmoon's traditional quest adventure and then I had the cliche kicked out from under me.
Tristan
A good series. Pulpy format, but there's more to it than generic pulp. Not high lit by any means, but not bad. Very fun and extremely creative. The whole quartet can be read in a weekend easily.
Joe Stamber
The final book of this particular series (I think). It's a good fantasy series, all the books being enjoyable, although I thought the first "The Jewel in the Skull" was probably the best.
Peter
One of the first SF books I read - I feel the Runestaff Trilogy didn't age well for me as they don't resonate now
Arax Miltiadous
η Ύστατη Μάχη πλησιάζει ενώ ο Χοκμουν χάνει όλο και πιο πολύ την μάχη ενάντια στο πεπρωμένο του.
Gileblit
This is maybe the most unpredictable book about Dorian Hawkmoon until this point of the story.
Shannon Appelcline
More nice focus on Granbretan, and a shocking (but too quick) battle at the end.
Charles
The Hawkmoon books are better to me than the Elric books on average.
Eric
this series was a bit weird and lots of fun.
Rob Wiltsher
Still remains one of my favourite sagas.....
  • Swords and Ice Magic (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #6)
  • Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)
  • Conan the Swordsman
  • The Broken Sword
  • The Eyes of the Overworld
  • Imaro
  • A Cat of Silvery Hue (Horseclans, #4)
  • Storm Season (Thieves' World, #4)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,...more
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)