Start by marking “The Atlas of Literature” as Want to Read:
The Atlas of Literature

The Atlas of Literature

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"The Atlas of Literature" explores the fascinating connection between writers and place. This ambitious and exciting book focuses on writers and works that are intimately bound up with a place and a time, capturing a town, a city, a region, in its literary heyday.
Published September 1st 1996 by Stewart, Tabori, & Chang

To ask other readers questions about The Atlas of Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Atlas of Literature

E.A. Bucchianeri
If you love reading all the classics and wish to learn more about their importance within modern history, or want to view the other side of the spectrum and see how the progress of western culture influenced the greatest writers through the ages, this volume should be included in your personal library.

Bear with me: I know this introduction sounds as if I were lauding some ponderous academic tome that would bore any casual reader to death, but do not be fooled, this book is actually a pleasant su
Daisy
Sep 15, 2012 Daisy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daisy by: Alenka
Boy is this useful.
Even if you were never to read a word of this, pore over the maps of cities, countries, parts of the world in different decades or centuries. They pinpoint locations where authors lived and/or wrote and their significant works of the time. It's a brilliant resource and an insightful way to put things in perspective. It's also a great list of book recommendations. Chapter headings in Part Six The Modern World alone include Paris in the Twenties, Harlem's Renaissance, Writers' H
LH Johnson
This sizable and scopey tome aims to provide "a unique account of literature through the ages and across the continents". Theoretically it occupies a space similar to that of Atlas of the European Novel: 1800-1900; a space defined by questioning and reflecting on the era and context of authors and key literary works. This questioning and reflection process is illustrated liberally throughout with intriguing maps juxtaposing Louisa M. Alcott against Nathaniel Hawthorn in Nineteenth Century Boston ...more
Todd Stockslager
Bradbury is the general editor of this collection of encyclopedic two to six page essays on literature of, about, and from a geographic and chronological location. It works best as a reference work, and gave me reading suggestion that will represent a year's worth of well-spent hours.

Suffers from the encyclopedia effect of many contributors with different styles and focuses, and is too specific in some areas and broad in others, but those are quibbles about a great $2 find at the Wake County Boo
Frankie
I'm really impressed with this book. It's a thorough review of literature as a whole. I began by just perusing it, checking out maps of my favorite literary cities and such, but soon realized how good the articles were and decided to read straight through.

The absolute highlight of the whole book is Arthur Miller's article on the hypocrisy of Broadway, and Hollywood by association (p 244). Also, Dostoevsky's St. Petersburg (p 88), Balzac's France (p 92), Kafka's Prague (p 163), Joyce's Dublin (p1
Ebeekers
Fantastic layout. The atlas is divided by place, time period. I've pulled out this book before going to London and Canada and across the USA. I also plan itineraries for my home: New York City.
trav
This is your basic 'survey of literature' tome. But, for me, the design really sets this one apart.

It makes a good use of photos and maps. Plus, certain text is in bold or highlighted in a way so that recall is good and "flipping back to check something" is easy.

It doesn't bog itself down in analysis. I'm sure lit pros and English majors have more detailed books. But this is just right, if even a little fun, for average joes like me.
Bap
This is one of Alice's favorite refernce books which selects certain eras and places such as the Harlem literary renaissance or18th century Edinburgh and dinetifies authors, where they lived and what they wrote. Alice has mined this book for many ideas and inspirations.
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Betina Kroner
Betina Kroner marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Troybear
Troybear marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Trevor Sommers
Trevor Sommers marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Jng
Jng is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Moxie Bestos
Moxie Bestos marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Aleta
Aleta marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Mason Barlow
Mason Barlow marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Carol Hislop
Carol Hislop marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Emer
Emer marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
John Mannion
John Mannion marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sir Malcolm Stanley Bradbury CBE was an English author and academic. He is best known to a wider public as a novelist. Although he is often compared with David Lodge, his friend and a contemporary as a British exponent of the campus novel genre, Bradbury's books are consistently darker in mood and less playful both in style and language. His best known novel The History Man, published in 1975, is ...more
More about Malcolm Bradbury...
The History Man Eating People is Wrong The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories To the Hermitage Modernism: A Guide to European Literature 1890-1930