The Atlas of Literature

The Atlas of Literature

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"The Atlas of Literature" explores the fascinating connection between writers and place. This ambitious and exciting book focuses on writers and works that are intimately bound up with a place and a time, capturing a town, a city, a region, in its literary heyday.
Published September 1st 1996 by Stewart, Tabori, & Chang

To ask other readers questions about The Atlas of Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Atlas of Literature

E.A. Bucchianeri
If you love reading all the classics and wish to learn more about their importance within modern history, or want to view the other side of the spectrum and see how the progress of western culture influenced the greatest writers through the ages, this volume should be included in your personal library.

Bear with me: I know this introduction sounds as if I were lauding some ponderous academic tome that would bore any casual reader to death, but do not be fooled, this book is actually a pleasant su...more
Daisy
Sep 15, 2012 Daisy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daisy by: Alenka
Boy is this useful.
Even if you were never to read a word of this, pore over the maps of cities, countries, parts of the world in different decades or centuries. They pinpoint locations where authors lived and/or wrote and their significant works of the time. It's a brilliant resource and an insightful way to put things in perspective. It's also a great list of book recommendations. Chapter headings in Part Six The Modern World alone include Paris in the Twenties, Harlem's Renaissance, Writers' H...more
Frankie
I'm really impressed with this book. It's a thorough review of literature as a whole. I began by just perusing it, checking out maps of my favorite literary cities and such, but soon realized how good the articles were and decided to read straight through.

The absolute highlight of the whole book is Arthur Miller's article on the hypocrisy of Broadway, and Hollywood by association (p 244). Also, Dostoevsky's St. Petersburg (p 88), Balzac's France (p 92), Kafka's Prague (p 163), Joyce's Dublin (p1...more
Ebeekers
Fantastic layout. The atlas is divided by place, time period. I've pulled out this book before going to London and Canada and across the USA. I also plan itineraries for my home: New York City.
trav
This is your basic 'survey of literature' tome. But, for me, the design really sets this one apart.

It makes a good use of photos and maps. Plus, certain text is in bold or highlighted in a way so that recall is good and "flipping back to check something" is easy.

It doesn't bog itself down in analysis. I'm sure lit pros and English majors have more detailed books. But this is just right, if even a little fun, for average joes like me.
Bap
This is one of Alice's favorite refernce books which selects certain eras and places such as the Harlem literary renaissance or18th century Edinburgh and dinetifies authors, where they lived and what they wrote. Alice has mined this book for many ideas and inspirations.
John Mannion
John Mannion marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Meghan
Meghan is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Nelènia
Nelènia marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
bebe_thoreau
bebe_thoreau marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Helle
Helle added it
Aug 15, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 04, 2014
Reginald
Reginald marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Caro
Caro marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Theresagayle
Theresagayle marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Raluca-Maria Colas
Raluca-Maria Colas marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ronson
Ronson added it
Feb 19, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sir Malcolm Stanley Bradbury CBE was an English author and academic. He is best known to a wider public as a novelist. Although he is often compared with David Lodge, his friend and a contemporary as a British exponent of the campus novel genre, Bradbury's books are consistently darker in mood and less playful both in style and language. His best known novel The History Man, published in 1975, is...more
More about Malcolm Bradbury...
The History Man Eating People is Wrong The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories Rates of Exchange & Why Come to Slaka? Modernism: A Guide to European Literature 1890-1930