Start by marking “The End of the Hunt” as Want to Read:
The End of the Hunt

The End of the Hunt (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #3)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Interweaving history and fiction, Flanagan tells a complex story of the passionate people who helped shape today's Ireland. "Flanagan manages to sustain interest in the individual lives of his characters while creating a sense of monumental historical drama in which they are players".--New York Times Book Review.
Published April 1st 1995 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The End of the Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of the Hunt

Dennis Weeks
Nov 14, 2009 Dennis Weeks rated it it was amazing
This is a fine book that was a challenging read, partly because I had to check a history of Ireland and some web sites on the names of World war I era arms and vehicles for some background that the author assumes we know. That said, I am grateful to Thomas Flanagan for the vivid portrayal of the attitudes that propelled the Irish War of Independence and the Civil War.

Some folks have commented that Michael Collins is the central character in The End of the Hunt, but I have to disagree. Collins an
Elisabeth
I thought I'd never finish this book; it is very densely written and nearly every sentence is packed with information. It was well worth it.
The history of the English in Ireland is brutal and tragic. This novel takes place in the aftermath of the Easter Rebellion in Dublin 1916.It is largely about the signing of the treaty with the English in 1921 and the ensuing civil war between the freedom fighters wanting the free Irish Republic. One side, Sinn Fein, tries the political and diplomatic rout
Brendan
Aug 19, 2012 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd been waiting to read this book for years, and when I started, it's massive size argued against taking it overseas, so the reading process spanned a couple more years. The story of Ireland from the formation of IRA to the end of the civil war, as seen through the eyes of field officers sleeping in hedges waiting, historians in restaurants, and the aides around Michael Collins plotting assassinations and peace negotiations in hidden pubs. A beautiful scary book, but, given Flanagan's writing s ...more
Rosalie Riegle
Oct 06, 2012 Rosalie Riegle rated it liked it
What makes recent violence worse than that of years ago? I squirmed that those I rooted for were assassins. This was the first of the Flanagan trilogy with well developed women characters and I found myself wanting to hear even more from them. All three books were wonderful for giving me even more feeling for what I think of as my second country.
John
Aug 09, 2009 John rated it really liked it
This book is one of three magnificent novels that clarify Irish history
during 3 watershed eras. This final book tells how the Irish finally
wrested limited Home Rule from the British and the parts played be
Michael Collins, Winston Churchill and a score of other participants.
Mary L.
Jul 17, 2012 Mary L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was because we were staying outside of Dublim for a month one summer, but all the history of the Troubles of 1919 came to life in this very readable novel. I recommend it highly if you wish to come to grips with Ireland's struggle for independence.
Geoffrey
Aug 21, 2012 Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Flanagan's three books of fictionalized modern Irish revolution are excellent. This is the weakest of the three - a little slack and loose-lipped, as if he were dictating it over a Guinness and no one felt like editing. Still a great read, though.
Kelli Santistevan
Feb 21, 2015 Kelli Santistevan rated it did not like it
I didn't like it that much.
Mardelle
May 22, 2012 Mardelle rated it really liked it
Another fine book by Flanagan on the history of Ireland with his fictional characters woven into the story.
Eerik
Eerik marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
John_mcl
John_mcl is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Lucia J. Rather
Lucia J. Rather rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Katelynn
Katelynn marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Rick Burke
Rick Burke rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Judith D. Hart
Judith D. Hart rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Susan Sutton
Susan Sutton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Uğur Parlak
Uğur Parlak marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Keaton Quinlan
Keaton Quinlan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Fonch
Fonch marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Earthchild
Earthchild marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Ivana
Ivana marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Prolitar
Prolitar marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
  • A Pint of Plain: How the Irish Pub Lost Its Magic but Conquered the World
  • Our Bones Are Scattered: The Cawnpore Massacres and The Indian Mutiny Of 1857
  • Oh What A Lovely War
  • Rory & Ita
  • Sun Dancing: Life in a Medieval Irish Monastery and How Celtic Spirituality Influenced the World
  • The Plantagenet Chronicles
  • Eamon de Valera: The Man Who Was Ireland
  • Redemption
  • Silent People
  • The Young Victoria
  • How the Irish Invented Slang: The Secret Language of the Crossroads
  • Bobby Sands: Writings from Prison
  • Spy Master - Mystery Guild Omnibus: Call for the Dead, A Murder of Quality, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
  • The War Against the Jews: 1933-1945
  • Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show (A Novel of Ireland, #1)
Thomas Flanagan (November 5, 1923 – March 21, 2002) was an American professor of English literature who specialized in Irish literature. He was also a successful novelist. Flanagan, who was born in Greenwich, Connecticut, graduated from Amherst College in 1945. He was a tenured full - Professor in the English Department at the University of California, Berkeley until his retirement. Flanagan died ...more
More about Thomas Flanagan...

The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Year of the French
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)