Start by marking “A Pattern of Roses” as Want to Read:
A Pattern of Roses

A Pattern of Roses

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Tim found mysterious initials on a tombstone at the local church, and soon found out they belonged to a 15 year old boy who had once lived in his house and had died in 1910. Assisted by his friend Rebecca, Tim tries to find out more about this boy - and finds himself involved in an astonishing and dangerous mystery.
Published October 20th 1982 by Red Fox (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Pattern of Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pattern of Roses

Ivonne Rovira
Aug 12, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Amy McLean
A Pattern of Roses struck me as old fashioned, and, at first, I couldn't determine why. The plot wasn't saccharine; the language wasn't stilted; the teenagers involved weren't Pollyanish or unrealistically well-behaved. What was it then? That's when I realized: the plot was completely unpredictable.

Too many of today's novels aimed at teenagers involve either the modern Cinderella fairy tale in which the bad boy -- or girl -- ends up with the handsome/beautiful prince/princess of the school or,
LH Johnson
I have a great love for KM Peyton. She's one of the authors that has defined my attitude towards children's literature, to what it can and could be and to what it so very often is. And so it was with great, gleeful, giddy delight that I picked this one up.

A Pattern of Roses is a dual narrative story, balancing modern day Tim Ingram's life against the story of Tom Inskip who lived in the same house many years ago. It's a coming of age, timeslip, sort of story which plays the tensions of the boys
Yellowoasis
I generally like a ‘ghost’ story (not that this is one, really) but found this a little insipid. I appreciated the afterword written 12-14 years later, with Peyton explaining why she wrote this story and what it meant to her personally, and loved the detail of her finding the real headstone which inspired the story. I think the problem with it is that it’s two separate stories and they don’t really gel together that well. I’m pleased to have read it though, as part of her oeuvre.
Ann Duddy
Compelling YA read. I love K.M. Peyton's pony books, so I picked this up on eBay. The books she wrote in the 70s are the strongest, including this one. Tim is recovering from an illness and his parents move to an old cottage in the country to get away from city life. He finds drawings by Tom, a boy who died the day before his 16th birthday in the early 1900s. Tim finds strange parallels between his life and Tom's, and also finds himself in the process. I'll definitely pass this on to my tween ni ...more
Debbie
K.M. Peyton is an old favourite, and I always liked this one a lot. It was pleasant to find that it hasn't dated too much (despite a few rather quaint expressions, like "cripes!"). The time-slip fantasy is low-key; more important is the story of a boy growing into his own identity.
Kitty Tomlinson
Young adult novel. Tim Ingram discovers a ghost in the English cottage his parents buy and renovate. He learns of the of life of a boy named Tom, whose drawings he finds in the fireplace and of his death in 1910.
Hannah-riley Blessing
My copy was titled, So Once Was I, the 1975 Scholastic Book Services paperback, first printing. It's the same book. I haven't read it in so long, I don't remember the story. I just accidentally destroyed the book.
Princy Rose
a master piece of thrills and suspense filled story
Jenni
Jenni added it
Mar 02, 2015
Aerial
Aerial marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
mark monday
mark monday marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Karen Richards
Karen Richards marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Fun
Fun marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Emily E
Emily E marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Manon
Manon marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Blind Beauty Flambards (Flambards, #1) The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2) Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3) Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)