A Pattern of Roses

A Pattern of Roses

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Tim found mysterious initials on a tombstone at the local church, and soon found out they belonged to a 15 year old boy who had once lived in his house and had died in 1910. Assisted by his friend Rebecca, Tim tries to find out more about this boy - and finds himself involved in an astonishing and dangerous mystery.
Published October 20th 1982 by Red Fox (first published 1968)

LH Johnson
I have a great love for KM Peyton. She's one of the authors that has defined my attitude towards children's literature, to what it can and could be and to what it so very often is. And so it was with great, gleeful, giddy delight that I picked this one up.

A Pattern of Roses is a dual narrative story, balancing modern day Tim Ingram's life against the story of Tom Inskip who lived in the same house many years ago. It's a coming of age, timeslip, sort of story which plays the tensions of the boys...more
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 12, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Amy McLean
A Pattern of Roses struck me as old fashioned, and, at first, I couldn't determine why. The plot wasn't saccharine; the language wasn't stilted; the teenagers involved weren't Pollyanish or unrealistically well-behaved. What was it then? That's when I realized: the plot was completely unpredictable.

Too many of today's novels aimed at teenagers involve either the modern Cinderella fairy tale in which the bad boy -- or girl -- ends up with the handsome/beautiful prince/princess of the school or,...more
Ann Duddy
Compelling YA read. I love K.M. Peyton's pony books, so I picked this up on eBay. The books she wrote in the 70s are the strongest, including this one. Tim is recovering from an illness and his parents move to an old cottage in the country to get away from city life. He finds drawings by Tom, a boy who died the day before his 16th birthday in the early 1900s. Tim finds strange parallels between his life and Tom's, and also finds himself in the process. I'll definitely pass this on to my tween ni...more
Debbie
K.M. Peyton is an old favourite, and I always liked this one a lot. It was pleasant to find that it hasn't dated too much (despite a few rather quaint expressions, like "cripes!"). The time-slip fantasy is low-key; more important is the story of a boy growing into his own identity.
Kitty Tomlinson
Young adult novel. Tim Ingram discovers a ghost in the English cottage his parents buy and renovate. He learns of the of life of a boy named Tom, whose drawings he finds in the fireplace and of his death in 1910.
Hannah-riley Blessing
My copy was titled, So Once Was I, the 1975 Scholastic Book Services paperback, first printing. It's the same book. I haven't read it in so long, I don't remember the story. I just accidentally destroyed the book.
Princy Rose
a master piece of thrills and suspense filled story
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Marie Conway
Marie Conway marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Julia H.
Julia H. marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Angela Mcentee
Angela Mcentee marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Copper
Copper marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Jo Wilson
Jo Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Blind Beauty Flambards (Flambards, #1) The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2) Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3) Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)