Start by marking “A Pattern of Roses” as Want to Read:
A Pattern of Roses

A Pattern of Roses

Tim found mysterious initials on a tombstone at the local church, and soon found out they belonged to a 15 year old boy who had once lived in his house and had died in 1910. Assisted by his friend Rebecca, Tim tries to find out more about this boy - and finds himself involved in an astonishing and dangerous mystery.
Published October 20th 1982 by Red Fox (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Pattern of Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pattern of Roses

Ivonne Rovira
Jan 15, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: Amy McLean
A Pattern of Roses struck me as old fashioned, and, at first, I couldn't determine why. The plot wasn't saccharine; the language wasn't stilted; the teenagers involved weren't Pollyanish or unrealistically well-behaved. What was it then? That's when I realized: the plot was completely unpredictable.

Too many of today's novels aimed at teenagers involve either the modern Cinderella fairy tale in which the bad boy -- or girl -- ends up with the handsome/beautiful prince/princess of the school or,
LH Johnson
I have a great love for KM Peyton. She's one of the authors that has defined my attitude towards children's literature, to what it can and could be and to what it so very often is. And so it was with great, gleeful, giddy delight that I picked this one up.

A Pattern of Roses is a dual narrative story, balancing modern day Tim Ingram's life against the story of Tom Inskip who lived in the same house many years ago. It's a coming of age, timeslip, sort of story which plays the tensions of the boys
Yellowoasis
Jan 07, 2015 Yellowoasis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I generally like a ‘ghost’ story (not that this is one, really) but found this a little insipid. I appreciated the afterword written 12-14 years later, with Peyton explaining why she wrote this story and what it meant to her personally, and loved the detail of her finding the real headstone which inspired the story. I think the problem with it is that it’s two separate stories and they don’t really gel together that well. I’m pleased to have read it though, as part of her oeuvre.
Maria Särnhammar
Den handlar om Tom som flyttar med sina upptagna föräldrar från stan till en liten by på landet. Han har varit sjuk och måste stanna hemma och vila upp sig innan han kan börja skolan igen. I huset de bor hittar Tom några teckningar i en burk gjorda av T.R.I. 1910. Det är samma initialer som Tom har så han blir intresserad av vem som kan ha ritat dem. Han hittar en Tim R. Inskips gravsten och det visar sig att Tim har dött 1910 precis innan han skulle fylla 16 år, bara kort efter att teckningarna ...more
Ulla
Jul 04, 2016 Ulla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosenmönstret är den svenska titeln. Biblo-personalen hade lite svårt att finna ett exemplar av den här boken men till slut fann dem den i ett bokmagasin i vårt avlånga land. Boken är utgiven 1972.

Tim Ingram flyttar med sina föräldrar till ett gammalt torp på den Engelska landsbygden.
När torpet renoveras hittas ett gammalt rosenmönstrat skrin fyllt med gamla teckningar; de är signerade "T.R.I 17 februari 1910".
Tim inser att det är samma initialer som han själv har. Denne person T.R.I dog endast
Ann Duddy
Compelling YA read. I love K.M. Peyton's pony books, so I picked this up on eBay. The books she wrote in the 70s are the strongest, including this one. Tim is recovering from an illness and his parents move to an old cottage in the country to get away from city life. He finds drawings by Tom, a boy who died the day before his 16th birthday in the early 1900s. Tim finds strange parallels between his life and Tom's, and also finds himself in the process. I'll definitely pass this on to my tween ni ...more
Myra King
I enjoyed this simple little book. And it could never be accused of dragging out, which is always a winner for me.
But I felt a little bit let down at the end, the two stories - interesting on their own - didn't mesh well. It was like reading two short stories at once. I wish there had been more mystery, more of a link.
But I enjoyed having something different to read. Books are becoming almost boringly formulaic. This one stands out in terms of plot.
Kitty Tomlinson
Young adult novel. Tim Ingram discovers a ghost in the English cottage his parents buy and renovate. He learns of the of life of a boy named Tom, whose drawings he finds in the fireplace and of his death in 1910.
Hannah-riley Blessing
My copy was titled, So Once Was I, the 1975 Scholastic Book Services paperback, first printing. It's the same book. I haven't read it in so long, I don't remember the story. I just accidentally destroyed the book.
Debbie Gascoyne
K.M. Peyton is an old favourite, and I always liked this one a lot. It was pleasant to find that it hasn't dated too much (despite a few rather quaint expressions, like "cripes!"). The time-slip fantasy is low-key; more important is the story of a boy growing into his own identity.
Princy Rose
a master piece of thrills and suspense filled story
Sharon Buxton
Mar 05, 2016 Sharon Buxton rated it liked it
B. fantasy, 20th century, YA, mom's stash, keep
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Elsa
Elsa rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Beka
Beka rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2017
CLM
CLM rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Milja
Milja rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Flb
Flb rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Kim Parkes
Kim Parkes rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2008
SH
SH rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
HJ
HJ rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Harriet
Harriet rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Zagero
Zagero rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Ragnheiður
Ragnheiður rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2009
Ali
Ali rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2007
Patchworkpenguin
Patchworkpenguin rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Louise Culmer
Louise Culmer rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2017
Mary Alice
Mary Alice rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2017