Start by marking “Kuvanveistäjän tytär” as Want to Read:
Kuvanveistäjän tytär

Kuvanveistäjän tytär

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Tove Jansson kietoo lukijan pikkusormensa ympäri hauskoissa lapsuudenmuistelmissaan

Lapsuudesta kertovan teoksen "oikeita" henkilöitä ovat ukki ja mummi, isä, äiti, Anna, Jeremiah ja täti jolla on idea tai Poju jolla on aina nuha. Mutta yhtä oikea on Jumala, joka asuu kivikkopuutarhan takana.

Tove Jansson kietoo lukijan pikkusormensa ympäri näissä "muistelmissa", joiden ym
Published 1969 by WSOY (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Kuvanveistäjän tytär, please sign up.

Lynna Howard I found this book with an ISBN search. I really wanted to add it because it is such an enjoyable read. Quirky. Unique. Honest.

Telling a series of…more

Telling a series of tales through the eyes of a child and still making it interesting reading for an adult is not an easy task.

Here's an excerpt: "If a thousand little girls walked past under this tree not one of them would have the faintest idea that I am sitting up here. The pine cones are green and very hard. My feet are brown. And the wing is blowing right through my hair."(less)

Darya Conmigo
If you ask me right now, I'll tell you that this is the single most important book I have ever read in my life. And it will be the absolute truth. And the fact that there were other most important books earlier and there will be other most important books later (I hope) doesn't make it a tiny bit less true.

В конце концов мы спасли все что можно было спасти, и мама отправилась варить кофе.

Как-то так.
Jane
Magic. There is no better word for this book.

My expectations were high. I loved the Moomin books as a child, and when I discovered Tove Jansson’s adult fiction I was bedazzled.

But this memoir …. as I said, magic.

A collection of childhood memories seen through the eye’s of the sculptor’s daughter, mixing fantasy and reality, darkness and light quite perfectly.

A whole world of childish emotions and perceptions expressed with crystal clarity. The words, the phrasing, everything is exactly right.

I l
Sara Holden
(1)

Explosion is a beautiful word and a very big one. Later I learned others, words that you can whisper only when you’re alone. Inexorable. Ornamentation. Profile. Catastrophic. Electrical. District Nurse. they get bigger and bigger if you say them over and over again. You whisper and whisper and let the world grow until nothing exists except the word.”

(2)

"Sometimes I think all strong feelings start in the tummy; for me they do at any rate"

(3)

" Some people just draw as they like and don’t give a
Mänsomläser
Jag kastade mig över boken uppeldad av min nya Muminförälskelse. Förväntningarna var skyhöga och jag blev… besviken. Till att börja med. Jag störde mig på barnperspektivet, men eftersom det är så konsekvent genomfört byttes besvikelsen snabbt mot beundran. Det är så otroligt skickligt utfört att man faktiskt ser allt genom ett barns ögon. Och även om hon rör sig i miljöer som är helt främmande för mig – ett bohemiskt konstnärshem och somrar i skärgården – är jag helt bekant med känslorna. Det hä ...more
Krystl Hall
I am a lifelong fan of the Moomintroll books. When I heard about this memoir, I had to read it. It was an unexpected delight. Not a traditional autobiography at all, but rather a series of vignettes of Finnish childhood, sometimes difficult and often magical. Always enthralling shown from within the consciousness of a small, independent, artistic girl, with all the strange internal logic that implies. The writing is spare and lyrical. You don't need to be a fan of hers to enjoy this lovely littl ...more
Rositsa Tsvetanova
Tove Jansson's characteristic "moomin"-atmosphere has soaked in a book, where she actually hasn't taken the shortcut through Moomin valley - a book, where the fear lurks behind every three trunk combined with the longing for adventure and the safety of the Christmas tree in equal amounts. It doesn't matter if the little Tove describes casual everyday activities or crazy, spontaneous undertakings - they are all inspired by the spirit of freedom in the house and the unbound imagination of the chil ...more
Marina Sofia
This was my Christmas present to myself and I shouldn't have devoured it in just one day. I was expecting a rather more straightforward memoir, but it's really a collection of dream-like short stories, fragments, recollections, each building on from each other, all together building up to a child's view of a bohemian world, filled with fears, hardship but also charm. One to read and reread many times. The transparent simplicity of style, that wistfulness and melancholia which speaks so much of M ...more
Katri
Kuvanveistäjän tytär oli novellikokoelma, jossa sekoittuu Toven oman elämän kaiku satuihin ja taianomaisuuteen. Novellit ovat osa hyvin realistisia ja osa suorastaan unenomaisia. Tykkäsin paljon novellien maalaamista maisemista, tunnelmista ja hetkistä. Aivan loistava. Novellit olivat mielestäni "vaikeampia" kuin Nukkekaapissa, mutta ehkä siitä syystä aikuisempia ja parempiakin. Ihania!
Vanessa Townley
Such a beautifully written book the stories are written as if from Tove as a child with innocence and naïveté. She describes much loved memories of her childhood but also shows a gaining of knowledge, understanding and questioning the world around her. It is a great read and was glad I received it as a birthday gift. :) x
Tom
Beautifully written insights into the mind and memories of a little girl growing up in Finland. It is written through the voice of the child, and illustrates the volatility of childhood's emotions. The smooth flow of the words reminds me of E.B. White's essays. What shines throughout, is her love of her parents, and their love for her. An interesting childhood ably rendered. In the last "chapter," re the remains of their Christmas tree: "Nothing is as peaceful as when Christmas is over, when one ...more
Nicky Reed
Sort-of-autobiographical sketches of childhood. Child's-eye view of the world, in the form of short stories/sketches. Unfettered (but highly edited)flights of imagination, depicted as the real world, and in collision with the real world. Absolutely saved from whimsy by an undertow of noir. Reading this you can almost feel the child learning to make sense of her world as her lived experience and her imagination are counterpointed with and tussle against her received understanding, the adult comme ...more
Iira
Jan 13, 2012 Iira rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Ihana ja sympaattinen. Kai tämä riittää arvioksi?
Jan
This is an odd book, a fictionalised non autobiography or childhood memoir. Child Tove is a dark creature, intriguing and cruel. The childlike prose the stories are told in occasionally jarred with me. At other times it was perfect, getting across the surreal sense of being a child in a family of artists. Some of the stories felt too short and incomplete, fragments or snippets that didn't quite work. My favourites were Jeremiah and Christmas. Most of the others felt unpleasantly dreamlike and un ...more
kasia
A lot of these stories (a full 2/3 of them) are in Winter's Tales. But I think this collection of works is somewhat more coherent than that one. There's more of a unified perspective.
These are interesting stories, in that they are very much from a (precocious) child's point of view - which makes them both marvelous and somewhat incoherent. A paratactic structure without much in the way of causation or logical connection (this happened and then this and then this), and sometimes, words that get
Parvathy
Childhood - a time of inexplicable terrors and anxiety, imaginative flights of fancy, runaway curiosity and strangely adult judgements. Tove Jansson's stories of her childhood growing up with artist parents in Finland, are simply told, from a child's point of view. Magical.
Mary Halpenny-killip
"A Childhood Memoir". Believable about life from the perspective of a young girl, who was born in Helsinki July, 1914, on the eve of WWI, to two artist parents. Interesting world. I LOVED Tove Jansson's book, THE SUMMER BOOK! Lovely and poignant.
Ademption
3.4 rounded down to 3 stars. A Winter Book is a more tightly edited selection of these stories and a better introduction to Tove Jansson.
Jeffrey
Jansson's first book for adults - a collection of loosely autobiographical stories about growing up in an artistic household in Finland told from a child's perspective - wonderfully whimsical but also strangely melancholy - a lovely read indeed!
Robin Stevens
Clear and beautiful, eerie and unique. Do be warned that a lot of the stories in this book overlap with THE WINTER BOOK, but nonetheless, as always, every one of Jansson's words is a delight.
Elisa
Mielikuvituksen rikastamia muisteluita, hauskoja juttuja. Jos pitää muumikirjoista ja Kesäkirjasta, niin todennäköisesti tästäkin.

Ellen
Wonderful anecdotes and stories from the author's childhood. If you are a fan of her other work, then this book will satisfy too.
kari
It's beautiful, and so personal it's terrifying.
Topping & Company Booksellers of Ely
Ah - Tove Jansson. Her writing sings off the page; full of light and love. Her previously unpublished piece about Christmas is an utter joy. It gives me goosebumps and a lump in my throat every time I read it. Something wonderful.

Rebecca Le Marchand
Paul Taylor
Difficult to follow initially, until you have cast yourself into the mind of a highly creative and imaginative child.
Viivi
Ei tämä Muumi-kirjoille vetänyt vertoja. Kokonaisuutena tämä novellikokoelma ei ihan täysillä kolahtanut, mutta todellisia helmiäkin joukkoon mahtui. Novelli "Juhlimisista" oli niin mainio, että luin sen muutamaan otteeseen. Lisäksi novellit "Kotieläimiä ja rouvia", "Täti, jolla oli idea" ja "Joulu" ovat riittävä syy tarttua tähän kirjaan.
Anne
A memoir told in random vignettes. It is clear from her family stories where Jansson got her inspiration for her Moomin stories. Like the Moomin stories, her memoir was a bit meandering and odd, but sweet and profound in a totally endearing way for those who enjoy her writing.
Mikael Kuoppala
This is a wonderful depiction of the life led by an imaginative child. I loved the way the narrator of the book wasn't an adult looking back at her childhood, but a very young person who has a unique yet believable viewpoint on life. A gem for sure.
Amy
oh! some of the sentences are just so simple and perfect I had to read them over and over and stop to sigh. oh Tove! I love you so.
Laurel
I loved the very simple language of this book that still managed to reveal the rich world of an imaginative child. Made me think about the silly little things that I believed in and that appeared very important in childhood.
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • Tove Jansson - Tee työtä ja rakasta
  • Tainaron: Mail from Another City
  • I morgen var jeg alltid en løve
  • Nälkävuosi
  • Kauimpana kuolemasta
  • Anna minun rakastaa enemmän
  • The Skin Chairs
  • Råta (Ravneringene #2)
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...
Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3) The Summer Book Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2) Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5) The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)

“Most of the people are homesick anyway, and a little lonely, and they hide themselves in their hair and are turned into flowers.” 26 likes
“I mean, anyone can let Danger out but the really clever thing is finding somewhere for it to go afterwards.” 7 likes