Start by marking “Lennox (Lennox, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lennox (Lennox, #1)

Lennox (Lennox #1)

First novel in the Lennox series, featuring a shady investigator on the tough streets of 1950's Glasgow.
Published 2010 by Quercus (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lennox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lennox

Maria João Fernandes
"Lennox" é o primeiro livro de uma série que promete, aos amantes de policiais, momentos de leitura emocionantes, na companhia do talento excepcional de Craig Russell. Nas palavras de Michael Connelly (cujo livro "Lua Vazia" recomendo) "Lennox" é "mais do que um policial, uma história genial."

Este escritor do noir rendeu-me ao seu estilo narrativo directo e cruel desde a primeira página. A realidade é retratada tal como é, seja com um tom terrivelmente sério ou com um tom de humor incrivelmente
Noelle
Sep 15, 2016 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Ok…so I was chatting to Graham Smith – whose books, by the way…are bloody awesome– on social media and he asks if I have ever read any of Craig Russell‘s books. I immediately did what any self respecting blogger would do …..and checked my kindle…NOPE. Mr Smith proceeds to totally big up this Craig Russell guy…and then suggested I would enjoy the #Lennox series. So yeah…I downloaded book 1. I was easily persuaded….

OH-MY-FRIGGIN-GOD #bookjunkies! Where the hell have I been!? This book was publishe
Karl
Jun 25, 2016 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the hardcover published by Quercus from the UK published in 2009, a first edition. I'm a bit confused where the title listing came from as the words "A Man for Hire, But Not for Sale" is nowhere to be found on the book or on the copyright page.
Lainy
Jul 09, 2015 Lainy rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 425

Publisher - Quercus

Blurb from Amazon

Glasgow, 1953: the war may be over but the battle for the streets is just beginning. Three crime bosses control the murky streets, but a small-scale con is trying to invade their territory. The balance is shifting. Lennox, a hard man in a hard city at a hard time, finds himself caught in the middle - a dangerous place to be.

One night, a body is discovered on the road, his head mashed to pulp, and Lennox is in the frame for
Craig Sisterson
Apr 14, 2010 Craig Sisterson rated it really liked it
Former Scottish policeman Craig Russell has made his literary name (and won several awards) penning crime fiction centred on Hamburg detective Jan Fabel; mythology-drenched murder stories set in contemporary Germany. But with his latest book, Lennox, the first of a planned series of neo-noir novels, he ‘returns home’ – and also heads back in time.

After surviving an awful war which stained his soul, Canadian ex-soldier Lennox now operates as a private eye and ‘fixer’ in a battlefield equally as
Raven
May 31, 2012 Raven rated it liked it
A cracking start to a potentially great series and a book which further compounds my disbelief that Russell is so underated in the crime genre as his Jan Fabel series is compelling reading! Anyway, I digress, `Lennox' does for 50`s Glasgow what Arnott did for 60`s London with the same assortment of dodgy gangsters, bent coppers and the wonderfully seedy underbelly of post war society. I think what sets this apart is not only the brilliant re-creation of the period but the strength of the charact ...more
Santiago Álvarez
Aug 27, 2015 Santiago Álvarez rated it really liked it
Primera entrega de este personaje de Graig Russell. La ambientación en la oscura Escocia de los 50 es brillante y estremecedora, un campo de juego agreste y duro donde los que no tienen agallas para ello lo pagarán caro. Entre ellos se mueve Lennox con gallardía y obstinación parejas, en un reflejo deformado del hardboiled del otro lado del charco.

Hay momentos brillantes, pero no siempre de continuo; hay momentos en los que Lennoxx se rie del mundo, pero luego se lo toma todo demasiado en serio
Wren
Mar 20, 2013 Wren rated it really liked it
Finally, a Scottish writer who follows the detective fiction tradition of Chandler and MacDonald with a noiresque world view. Harkening back to the rough and tumble world of 1950's gangland Glasgow Russell fills the night with tough guys whipping out both guns and one-liners. A must read for those fans of detective fiction who feared all was lost to the glitz of forensics and trial procedurals. Wish I had written this one. Loved by the hardened readers at Monday Night Murders. I will be reading ...more
Ramon Yáñez lópez
Despues de un comienzo poco prometedor, en el que se repite hasta la saciedad que los hombres de Glasgow son bajitos y desnutridos. Russell empieza a desgranar una historia srdida, en la que estan implicados los bajos (!) fondos de Glasgow.
El protagonista es antagnico del famoso Bernie Gunther De las novelas de Philip Kerr. No tiene nada de buena persona y su humor esta lejos de la ironia de Bernie.
Final trepidante y que deja, y eso me sorprendio, un buen regusto de boca.
Bettie☯
Atram_sinprisa
Apr 27, 2013 Atram_sinprisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bueno, no. Buenísimo! Me he tragado 200 páginas en un día porque no podía parar. Increíble, no tengo adjetivos!!
Chris Birrane
Oct 25, 2016 Chris Birrane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder & mayhem...but with a touch of class!

I defy you not love Lennox, the character (in a macho way of course). At the risk of appearing sexist, this is a man's book; a boy's own, rough, tough and ' in you face ' tale, with gangsters, minders, guns, knives, saps and a narrative straight out of a Humphrey Bogart movie, only sharper, cruder and well....Scottish ...even allowing that Lennox is Canadian, one gangster is Jewish and another a Irish. I'm confusing you, aren't I? Don't worry, it'
Daniel Rodriguez Patiño
Jan 09, 2017 Daniel Rodriguez Patiño rated it really liked it
Buen libro, lo leí en español, la traducción no es del todo buena pero la historia es entretenida.
Aiden Mchaffie
Dec 27, 2016 Aiden Mchaffie rated it it was amazing
Oh wow. This book was written for me. I would actually give six stars, this book deserves such clichés.
Set in grimy post-war gangland Glasgow we find a cheery, dapper Canadian war veteran, who got off the boat in Glasgow and didn't get the next one home. A mixture of Jim Rockford and Steve McGarrett who have been transported to Scotland in an attempt to avoid getting slugged from behind as often (sadly failed). The beauty of taking a step back in time is the exemption from modern convention of h
Subash
Nov 27, 2015 Subash rated it really liked it
Lennox wisecracks almost non stop ... but while it's not always funny some of it is precious and Craig himself does a star turn building atmosphere that is quite worthy of a noir classic. He has a knack for weaving in street lingo that was current Glaswegian talk in the time frame he talks about, as well as an affectionate contempt for the foibles of the folks here that's dead on true even today. I love the grunge of Glasgow, and the music scene there is quite inimitable ... but I can completely ...more
Karen
Craig Russell is best known for his series of novels featuring Hamburg based detective Jan Fabel, but LENNOX is (it is reported) the first in a series of neo-noir styled novels, this one set in Glasgow, post World War II. Lennox is a Canadian ex-soldier who bears the psychological and physical scars of a brutal war, left with a skill set that makes him an ideal player in post-war, corrupt, grimy, dirty, mucky, violent Glasgow. Organised crime is establishing itself and at the centre of machinati ...more
João  Cardeira Jorge
“Lennox” is a wonderful noir, with every classic element present and a clear love for the genre by the author. You can easily tell Craig Russell enjoyed writing “Lennox” and had fun and we as the reader share his enthusiasm. This is the classic hard-boiled story, a private detective with a chip on his shoulder, cynic and bitter with life but with a good heart deep down and his own set of moral rules he lives by.
Ultimately Russell's strict adherence to the genre's tropes is also the book's only
hcelvis
Mar 09, 2011 hcelvis rated it really liked it
1953: Der Kanadier Lennox arbeitet als Privatdetektiv im Glasgow der Nachkriegsjahre größtenteils für die drei örtlichen Gangsterbosse. Als der aufstrebende Rivale Tam McGahern ermordet wird, beauftragt ihn dessen Bruder Frankie, den Mord aufzuklären. Doch Lennox lehnt ab. Kurze Zeit später ist Frankie ebenfalls tot und der Verdacht fällt auf Lennox. Obwohl er sich aus den Fängen der Polizei erst einmal befreien kann, läßt Lennox die Geschichte nicht ruhen. Unter Druck der drei Gangsterbosse, de ...more
Joe Stamber
Lennox, the titular character, is a tough private eye who doesn't care too much which side of the law he works on (or for) in this noir crime thriller set in 1950s Glasgow. While he might have a handful of legitimate cases, most of his income appears to come from digging up information to help Glasgow's crime kings stay on their lofty perches. The steps Lennox takes to get this information are usually on thin ice, and he spends most of the tale in one kind of a peril or another. The story is tol ...more
Samantha Dewhurst
Feb 06, 2016 Samantha Dewhurst rated it liked it
This is the fist Craig Russel book that I have read and probably isnt one I would normally have picked up if it wasnt for my dad recomending it to me. At first it was a bit slow and I have to admit I wasnt hooked at first. There were quite a few characters involved and I found myself forgetting who was who. Once things started getting exciting (the last 5 chapters or so) I was hooked and I wanted to read more. The ending wasnt the clearest and I did find myself getting a bit confused about the c ...more
Rob Kitchin
Dec 13, 2015 Rob Kitchin rated it really liked it
Lennox is a gritty PI tale set in Glasgow not long after the end of the Second World War. Naturally cynical, hardened by the war and tenacious, Lennox is well able to look after himself on the tough streets of the Scottish city, offering services to shady characters, including the three kings, the rival leaders of the main three gangs. Russell tells the tale of Lennox’s attempt to solve the murders of the McGahern twins in a first person voice that is genuinely engaging and brings 1950s Glasgow ...more
Manuel Antão
Jun 08, 2016 Manuel Antão rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Ian Rankin and now Craig Russell. Are there any more scottish writers of quality that I should be aware of...?
I'm quite partial to good noir storytelling. And this a good example of this. Neo-noir?
It's always more difficult to sustain a tale told in the first person narrative, with everything that it implies. And Russell comes off at the end in flying colours.
The sense of place, the gloom and the ever-present outfall from a brutal war (WWII) is palpable. All noir settings are there: rapid-fire
Mark McVay
Oct 23, 2016 Mark McVay rated it really liked it
I only ordered this from the library as I'd read a review of the latest in the series, saw they were set in Glasgow and thought it best to start with book one.

It wasn't until I collected the book and read the cover blurb I realised it centred around Glasgow gangsters (not my usual genre) and until I actually started the book that I realised it was set in the early fifties.

I think it was the grimy, post war setting, set in the city I live in that made me enjoy this book so much. Yes the plot is
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Aug 15, 2012 Jacki (Julia Flyte) rated it really liked it
This is terrific crime noir set against the background of gritty 1950s Glasgow. Lennox is a private investigator who is looking for a client's missing wife. When a couple of seedy underworld brothers are murdered, one of Glasgow's crime bosses hires him to look into it. Soon it appears that there are connections between the two cases and that some genuinely nasty professionals may be involved.

The mystery is reasonably compelling, but what really makes this book shine is Lennox's sardonic sense o
Khaleel Datay
Aug 13, 2013 Khaleel Datay rated it it was amazing
I discovered Lennox by Craig Russell quite by accident. One of those you cant put down and an enjoyable read from start to finish. The author has managed to create a hero that's both roguish yet likeable in private investigator Lennox with a history from the Second World War. Russell is very good at this genre of crime fiction with location descriptions that put you right in the thick of the fog and sleet of Glasgow. His bad guys are evil psychopaths that make you cringe and root for the hero. L ...more
Beth
An introduction to the series telling about a Canadian ex-soldier who is making a living in 1950's Glasgow.
The "Three Kings" of the Glasgow underworld hire him to investigate the murder of two up and coming thugs. He also does another investigation on the side, that gets very complicated, as does the story of the two murders.
Someone tries to set him up and the Glasgow police of the time have a very "hands on" approach to interrogation.
Grim, atmospheric and well written. Also very well narrated.
Ricardo Bosque
Jul 30, 2013 Ricardo Bosque rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnífico Lennox, en mi opinión mucho mejor que el otro personaje habitual de Craig Russell, el comisario Jan Fabel.Dejo aquí unas líneas escritas en miblog en su día:

Por cierto, segundas partes sí pueden ser buenas, como queda demostrado en El beso de Glasgow:
Rosa
Aug 22, 2014 Rosa rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, read-in-2014
I loved it!!! It's a great detective novel with a twist at the end of the plot. I liked the setting a lot and I was greatly surprised at the end! I like Lennox character, I like his voice, his sarcasm and overall I like he isn't perfect, he knows it but he is trapped. His decisions are sometimes questionable and I like the character moves in a gray frontier. If you like detective novels, I highly recommend it.
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
There was a point, reading this, when I wondered whether I'd become seriously addicted to noir Scottish crime fiction. I don't know, but I am certain that it's the characters and their interaction, their dialogue, the sparky writing and the plot that keeps me reading, somewhat enviously, since to achieve such a gripping pace is admirable. And the 1950s era is refreshing and well-evoked. Craig Russell is another name on my not-to-be-missed list.
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • The Redemption of Alexander Seaton (Alexander Seaton, #1)
  • Random
  • Captured
  • Beyond The Rage
  • Le Syndrome Copernic
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • In the Cold Dark Ground (Logan McRae, #10)
  • The Night the Rich Men Burned
  • The Long Firm
  • Green Hell (Jack Taylor, #11)
  • Collecting Cooper (Theodore Tate, #2)
  • The Courtship Gift
  • The Blood of Crows (Anderson & Costello, #4)
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Fade to Black
  • Death in Bordeaux
  • Beams Falling

Craig Russell was born in 1956, in Fife, Scotland. He served as a police officer and worked in the advertising company as a copywriter and creative director. Russell had a long standing interest in the German language and in post war German history and society. He has been
More about Craig Russell...

Lennox (5 books)
  • The Long Glasgow Kiss (Lennox, #2)
  • The Deep Dark Sleep (Lennox, #3)
  • Dead Men And Broken Hearts (Lennox, #4)
  • The Quiet Death of Thomas Quaid (Lennox, #5)