Start by marking “Tree Spiker: From Earth First! to Lowbagging: My Struggles in Radical Environmental Action” as Want to Read:

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Lauded by some, despised by others, Mike Roselle is one of the most controversial figures in the crusade to protect the environment. Mike has succeeded in stopping a lumber project by spiking trees, struggled with death threats and the car bombing of fellow activist Judi Bari, endured countless days in jail, infiltrated the Nevada Test Site to delay nuclear bomb detonation ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Tree Spiker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tree Spiker

Nancy
May 11, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I consider myself an environmentalist and know people who know Mike Roselle. I enjoyed this book and found it a fast paced interesting read. I'd hoped for a bit more detail on what happened in some campaigns but, considering that Mike is writing about allies who are still alive and working on some of the same issues, he was probably wise not to spend too much time analyzing what went wrong.

While my style is much more "main stream" than his, I understand that activists like Roselle are essential
Joe
Feb 09, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mini-autobiography of an environmental activist who was one of the people behind Earth First!.

It's always hard to judge someone from their autobiography, but the author avoids a lot of the problems that cause environmental activists (and activists of all types) to be largely ineffective: he focuses solely on non-violent activities; he is willing to stick with the cause he believes in even when it's inconvenient; he stays away from showy but insignificant actions in favor of more f
Ryan Mishap
I'm partial to partisan memoirs and autobiographies from people who were there doing the work, the protests, the struggles, and actually involved. There's an academic and ideological disdain for texts written by participants with a politics the establishment doesn't like, but I think that's where we can learn what was really going on.

That said, this isn't much of a memoir, though he takes us back to high school and the path through the late sixties and seventies that brought him into working on
sdw
Dec 01, 2013 sdw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment, memoir
If you want a crash course on the contemporary radical environmental movement, this book will give it to you. Josh Mahan (the credited ghost writer) does an excellent job in each chapter switching the tone to capture the zeitgeist of the organization discussed. We see Roselle move from co-founding Earth First! to co-founding the Rainforest Action Network and the Ruckus Society. If you are familiar with the history of U.S. environmentalism, you won't learn much. If you are not familiar with this ...more
Joe
Aug 08, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a nuanced, difficult to digest analytical discussion of recent and current approaches to environmental politics and action and the underlying ecological thought that informs that movement, then look elsewhere; Tree Spiker is not the book for you. This was not a jargon laced, put me to sleep treatise, but instead was a fun read that with some interesting stories about the environmental movement in the U.S.

Mike Roselle and Josh Mahan weave stories into more than a memoir, in
Scott
Jun 02, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A provocative and heartfelt memoir of an icon of radical environmentalism.
Brent
May 27, 2010 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author describes his book as essentially a collection of stories one might tell while gathered around the campfire with some friends. And much in line with this description, the book does generally follow after such a fashion.

I enjoyed the book for the outrageous stories it told and for the ways in which my perception of the environment and those who fight for it have changed. I was, however, aware of the less-than-stellar writing and editing while reading this book. To be conscious of this
Melody
Dec 12, 2009 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who isn't my dad
As wildly uneven as it is entertaining, sobering and scary- this inside look at the radical environmentalists really made me want to chain myself to something. Preferably in the rain.

Recommended, especially if you are (like I was) apt to characterize the Earth First! folk as reactionary terrorist jerks. This is another side of their story, and it deserves a fair hearing.
Lee
Mar 30, 2010 Lee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: groovy, environment
Interesting for the first-hand account, but Roselle doesn't exactly come off as a feminist here and he's not, pardon, the most brilliant reflector on events. Roselle makes very clear that despite his call for radical action, he doesn't advocate violent actions and favors civil disobedience.
Sep 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-work
Though the prose won't stand the test of time, this book provides a fascinating look into radical environmentalism. Roselle has a great story to tell. And I'm now following him on Facebook as he fights to end mountaintop removal mining. Definitely worth a read.
Glen
Sep 10, 2012 Glen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had higher hopes for this one. It is not a cohesive work. Still has interesting points and I certainly give the author credit for his commitment to the cause.
Cherie
C Even with a ghost writer, this book failed to capture my attention. Rambling, all over the place, even confusing…still, Roselle has some interesting tales to tell.
Jason Feldman
Jason Feldman marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Matthew Van Allen
Matthew Van Allen is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Adam Cohen
Adam Cohen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
O'Rissa
O'Rissa marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Nick Martin
Nick Martin rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2015
Austin Josephs
Austin Josephs marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jarrod232
Jarrod232 marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Linus Vieira
Linus Vieira marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Andy Caffrey
Andy Caffrey rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Bill Hoffmann
Bill Hoffmann rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Natalie Boo
Natalie Boo rated it did not like it
Aug 29, 2014
Richard Busby
Richard Busby rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2014
É F.K. Ó Conghaile
É F.K. Ó Conghaile marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Joseph Matheny
Joseph Matheny rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014