Start by marking “Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love” as Want to Read:
Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love

Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Super cute! Darling! How adorable is that?! Welcome to the world of Wee Wonderfuls. In this charming collection, acclaimed toymaker and popular blogger Hillary Lang presents a captivating gang of 24 huggable, lovable creatures to sew—from classics like Margot, a topsy-turvy doll, and the button-jointed teddy bear Bjorn Bjornson, to irresistible Evelyn, a wool felt inchwor ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Wee Wonderfuls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wee Wonderfuls

1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth Johnson1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyFa la la la Felt by Amanda CarestioLearning to Weave by Deborah ChandlerColor Works by Deb Menz
CREATE!
58th out of 128 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
May 20, 2011 Wendy Darling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
The whimsical sweetness of Hillary’s designs is appealing to crafters of all levels, and the book is written in a cheerful, encouraging tone that makes no project seem too difficult to tackle. The bright colors and interesting fabric choices are lovely to peruse, and the author ably demonstrates her techniques for creating distinctive hair styles using different materials, including ribbon, stitched yarn, cut yarn, etc. This trend toward full color, hardback craft books with cloth spines is a pl ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)

3.5

Some of these dols are cute, some not so much, but there are a lot of interactive extras that are nice such as a pillow with a two dimensional doll on the front and a pocket in back with clothes to attach, much like a paper doll. There's the doll I remember in my childhood that are two dolls in one attached upside down where the skirt covers the one not being used. I liked the version I saw better which was little red riding hood with the wolf/grandmother on the other side.

The instructions a
nicole
May 22, 2012 nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: instructional
So far I've only made one doll (Patchwork Penny), but it came out great. And, coming from someone who had prior to this sewn a total of two square pillowcases, that should tell you a lot about the detail and understandability of Lang's text and diagrams. You can read a more detailed account of my experience using the book on this project in my blog post here.

Overall though, it's a great book. The patterns/instructions work, for one. There's a real variety, for two; lots of different styles of ha
Margaret
Aug 29, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: abrams-hbg, craft, sewing
As a mother to a toddler girl and expecting a little sister to join us in late summer, dolls are definitely something I am being friendly and familiar with. I am a crafty person, but these are not the types of crafts I am used to. However the pictures and instructions from crafty mama Hillary Lang make it appear that I am capable. I am very excited to add such a book to my quilting den library.

*Thanks to the publisher for providing a copy for review.*

Originally posted: http://creativemadnessma
Kelly Philpott
Jul 29, 2014 Kelly Philpott rated it really liked it
Super cute patterns!
Jessietaylortanner
Sep 15, 2010 Jessietaylortanner rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft, to-buy, sewing, 2010
I don't know how helpful my review will be since I haven't actually made anything from the book yet- but I still love it. I got it mainly to learn more about construction and technique, so I have been reading it through, almost like a novel. I am going to try a few to practice the techniques to help in my own doll making. The instructions seem very clear with easy to follow diagrams, so I am anxious to try them out. I would make a lot of the designs in the book, and consider this a great resourc ...more
Angela
Feb 18, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Some very cute things to create in this book. A few would be simple enough to do easily, most would be somewhat complicated or time consuming. However the instructions read well and are not hard to follow, and the patterns would be easy to scan onto a computer and print out. The word adorable has been used a good bit in reference to this book, and I can see why. My favorite thing to be made is the Ellie bag, an elephant shaped stuffed animal bag.
Jeni
Apr 19, 2012 Jeni rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, craftastic
Lang is an orginal. I'm completely enamored of her ability to create, from her imagination, lovely playthings that children actually WANT to play with! My daughter earmarked nearly every project in this book. I've made 4 or 5 of the dolls and plan to make the Sleepover Friends. Lang's patterns are clear and easy to follow. In addition, you can check out her flikr pool to see how people have been inspired to build on her fantastic designs.
Emily
Aug 28, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Would probably give this book four and a half stars if I could, the bonus half star being mostly for surprising me. I didn't think I would even be interested in this book, as I have never really had any interest in making dolls, but I loved it. The projects are great and there is a really wonderful variety. There are several I may consider, but I can't wait to make Hansel and Gretel out of wooden spoons as seen on page 113.
Kristen
Jul 08, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
I've made several things from this book, so far with 100% success. Almost no pattern errata, which is especially important. Built-in seam allowances, full size patterns, and all incredibly adorable and creative ideas. Many items are two dimensional, but there are some more complex three dimensional toys as well (gussets). This one will be on my shelf permanently. Great appendix/resource guide in the back with illustrated instructions.
Kristena
Aug 18, 2011 Kristena rated it it was amazing
My 4 year old daughter went nuts for everything in this book! I made her the mermaid, which had fantastic instructions. I do suggest reading through the instructions before cutting out your pattern pieces. I made the mistake of cutting along the seam line in my overzealousness and had to start again. Operator error! Anyway, I love Hillary's debut book and hope it's only the beginning. I'll be making the Kitty next!
Candace
Aug 16, 2012 Candace rated it it was amazing
Ok, this has got to be the cutest book ever! The dolls in this book are all so cute (except the pixie, I don't care for that one). I plan on making the kitty first for my daughter. I need to own this one so I can make them all. There are some simple dolls and some to stretch my ability a little.

If you are looking for a great book to make some toys for your little ones... Pick this book up.
Jo
Sep 13, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it
Delightfully cute selection of soft dolls. There is a nice variety of styles, all very sweet. The instructions & diagrams are top notch as is the basics section, which should give confidence to those new to the sewing techniques used in the projects. The photography adds to the charm. For those new to making softies, I think this book would be a great place to start.
May 31, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed, craft
Am I the only one who does not like the look of dolls whose eyes are located on their cheeks?

I cannot truly review this book, as I did not attempt to make any of the patterns in it. I can only say that the dolls were made with happy fabrics, the directions looked clear, and it was beautifully photographed.
Nov 14, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: diy
Super simple - which I like. The patterns are very manageable.

I want a bit more seam allowance. Right now the patterns demand very precise sewing. I'm going to play with size to see if it helps make a more manageable project.

Update: I definitely, definitely recommend playing with sizing.
Mar 21, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Fun projects but not what I was looking for - which is a doll to sew for Ellie. Oh well. (Although the fact that she has a bag in there called, "Ellie Bag" means I probably will have to make it at some point - it's an adorable elephant bag!)
Andrea McDowell
Jul 26, 2013 Andrea McDowell rated it liked it
The dolls are great; I've made several from this book. Sometimes the instructions are not accurate or do not make sense, and I need to improvise. Still, a lot of charming projects for anyone with a lot of little people in their lives.
Tabitha Mason
Sep 10, 2010 Tabitha Mason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing-knitting
It's going to be a mostly hand-made Christmas this year, and there are plenty of cute gifts in here! I love Hillary Lang's blog so I was super excited about this book--it did not disappoint.
Jess
Nov 27, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafting
sweet little doll patterns. good variety - i haven't made anything from this book yet, but have several patterns marked to make. instructions seem clear and easy to follow.
Candy
Feb 10, 2011 Candy rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Love it. Can you put read and currently reading because I go back to this book time and again. One of the best doll making books I've read.
Vicky
Jun 07, 2012 Vicky added it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I've flipped through the whole book. While some projects seem a little pointless to me (a tiny dog on a necklace?) I do have a couple of dolls on my to-do list.
Gina
Nov 25, 2010 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty
These all look so wonderful! I wish I had the time to make these kind of things. I like that they can all be hand-stitched, which I really enjoy doing.
Toni Prekker
Jan 16, 2015 Toni Prekker rated it did not like it
Simple designs, easy to sew, but instructions were poorly written. Pattern pieces missing from book, and no errata on author's website.
Carissa
Oct 07, 2010 Carissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction, crafty
This is a super cute and inspiring book. I wish i actually had time to make Koji the monster doll or the little bitty Doxie necklace.
Aug 10, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing
This is an AMAZING sewing book! I love the projects and can't wait to make them. Hillary Lang is a genius.
Sep 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: houseandhome, crafts
The book was o.k. I just don't see myself making any of these projects. Just a fun flip-through.
Beth Nieman
Nov 14, 2010 Beth Nieman rated it liked it
Very cute ideas for hand made dolls and toys! If only I had time to sew some.
Cindy Molnar
Jun 23, 2011 Cindy Molnar rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book for handmade gifts. I love these projects!
Megan
May 10, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
I am not much of a sewer, but I am going to attempt to make the Koji doll.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
Love this book! The dolls are so cute - I can't wait to make some of them.
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers
  • Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More
  • Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Scandinavian Stitches: 21 Playful Projects with Seasonal Flair
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Stitched in Time: Memory-Keeping Projects to Sew and Share from the Creator of Posie Gets Cozy