The Undead Next Door (Love At Stake, #4)

The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake #4)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  9,293 ratings  ·  318 reviews

Three signs that something is very different with your mew man:

1. He sleeps all day . . . which would be annoying except he's so attentive at night.

2. He's attacked by sword-wielding assailants, yet insists he can handle it on his own.

3. He never seems to age.

Heather Westfield has always lived a quiet life, but that all changes when she helps a very handsome, very mysteri

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 29th 2008)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
I admit I came to this novel with less than enthusiastic expectations when I found out it was Jean-Luc's book. You see, the impression I'd got of him in the previous books had made me think he was only ever going to be a secondary character. He just didn't seem like leading man/hero material. I think it's because he's a french fashion designer and whenever I see that description, I get this in my head:

Franck Eggelhoffer - Father of the Bride

Of course, now that I've actually read the book, I get...more
valee
I would give 2.5 stars to this book because it was the one I enjoyed the least in the series.

I don't get it though, Heather and Jean-Luc were great, one of my favorites couples in the series. He was hot and Heather had this great personality, so different from the rest of the heroines; at the beginning I thought this would become my fave.But then I got a bit bored at the middle. But well, the ending was amazing.

The problem, IMHO, was that the relationship took forever to settle because she kept...more
Natasha
The Undead Next Door is the fourth installment the Love At Stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks. I recently picked up a copy of The Undead Next Door and The Secret Life of a Vampire, and loved both. If your a fan of Lynsay Sands, than this is the next series for you. It's mostly based on vampires finding their true love, and always having a difficult time wooing their girl/guy.
The Love At Stake series always guarantees a good laugh and a hot, light read.
I look forward to reading the next book in th...more
Julianna
Sep 12, 2013 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Humorous PNR Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
The Undead Next Door was another solid read in the Love at Stake series. The entire series thus far contains just the right mix of emotional romance, depth of characters, LOL humor, and exciting adventure to keep me turning the pages and eager for more each time I finish a book. This particular novel also had an inspiring theme of conquering your fears right when I needed it the most. The romance is both sweet and sexy, and there is just enough action to keep the reader o...more
If I could give 3 1/2 stars I would. The book itself was pretty good. I remember Jean-Luc as a minor character in an earlier novel in this series, and it was interesting to give the fashion designer his own story. That said, I felt that Sparks didn't quite rise to the challenge in this one.

For the most part the story was good, though it seems to be part of a trend I've noticed lately. Lots of sexual tension with little payoff. This may sound odd, but when I'm reading a romance novel, I'd usuall...more
Ren
Not as good as the previous book, but I'm still enjoy it.

Because GR acting strangely, I'll write the entire review, when it get well..
OKAY. Because my GR is well again. Like I promise, I'll write my full review now

If I can compare this book with the previous book, I enjoyed Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3) by Kerrelyn Sparksmore.

Jean-Luc Echarpe ( when I'm reading this book, I pronounce his name "Jaan Luk", but there are some explanation, that his name is pronounce Jeaa Luu . I know,I can't speak French *LOL*), is a famous designer, and o...more
Nyimah
I enjoyed the story of Jean Luc and Heather... and of course i liked that they had so much involvement with previous characters, it wasn’t just an all new cast and Jean Luc.

My only negative comment would be with how they handled the Phineas character, it was worse in the previous book. But it’s like every time they addressed his character it was "the black guy". They refer to everyone else with other characteristics... but with him it’s like "a black guy"

It was like they needed to remind the...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Jan 13, 2013 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys humour with their PNR
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: PA Lupton, who wants people to have TBR piles bigger than her's
How can one not love a lonely French fashion designer vampire who is straight and thinks size 12 girls are the cats meow?

Jean-Luc was everything I had hoped he would be from his introduction in previous books. Sauve, sophisticated with old fashioned charm. A beautifully written character. His love interest is Heather, a bit timid but trying not to be, history teacher from who knows where Texas. Ok she too is a budding fashion designer. Not one of my favorite heroines in the series I have to ad...more
Steph
Book 4 in the Love at Stake series.
We met Jean-Luc in the previous book.
This couple have been my favourites so far alongside Angus and Emma. I will say that the storyline that concerns Casamir was a little lacking but the sole focus was on Jean-Luc and Heather. Heather is my favourite Heroine to date, just above Emma.
There was a storyline that came with Jean. An old enemy 'Lui' has been following him for centuries killing off his girlfriends because Jean stopped him from assassinating a k...more
Jimmy Hanson
So, a definite note of K.Sparks: the titles of her books don't reflect ANYTHING on what the book is about. Not saying that's a bad thing ... but if you forget the title and have to guess, there's nothing in the book itself that will hint to what the title is.

In saying that, this is the story of Jean-Luc and Heather. In the other novels [1-3:], I thought Jean-Luc was an interesting side-character but as a prime chara I wasn't so sure. Thankfully, I was proved wrong. Sparks made him unique and cle...more
Kelli Klein
The Undead Next Door is book 4 of the Love at Stake series by Kerrelyn Sparks. It featured Jean-Luc and Heather. I have to say this is my least favorite book of the series so far.

While Jean-Luc was a delicious Frenchman and Heather was like the girl next door with a great personality, the book itself was a bit boring. It took me longer than usual to finish the book. It went on too long, and the ending was a bit corny and ridiculous if not predictable. I got the feeling that it would have been b...more
Joy
Another great story I didn’t expect to like! Jean-Luc is a jaded French vampire who wants to exile himself for 25 years in the most unlikely place – Texas. It’s fun to read a vampire story in a rural setting, like in Charlaine Harris’s “Stookie Stackhouse” novels, but the two series are incomparable.
Ms Sparks gives us a plus-size heroine, which Jean-Luc found refreshing. He’s tired of skinny models that are really shallow. I like Heather’s strong will and Jean-Luc was kind to her irritating ex-h...more
Mary
Heather Westfield lives in Texas with her daughter Bethany. Jean-Luc (yes they comment that he has the same name as Picard) Echarpe is a vampire fashion designer from Paris. He is opening some stores in America including one in Heather's hometown. They meet at the opening of the store. Jean-Luc sees Heather sketching and believes that she is stealing his designs. He confronts her and ends up offering her a job.

Jean-Luc has a vampire enemy who has been trying to kill him for centuries. Jean-Luc...more
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
Alright, so when I first started reading this series, I was more than a little iffy on it. However, the more I read it the more I'm loving it. This book "The Undead Next Door" is so far my favorite in the series. I love the different take on vampires, and I love the use of science in it as well. Kerrelyn Sparks, is an imaginative, creative, spectacular writer. If the rest of this series keeps getting better, she will become another one of my favorite authors.
Dharia Scarab
This is a great series, plenty of humor, great story lines, and engaging characters. In each book you meet more characters in this world, which makes it more fun when the time comes to see their story play out.

And best of all, the story telling is always focused on the two main characters and their point of view rather, unlike another author in the genre who shall remain nameless.

Since I don't normally write reviews unless I have something specific to say, here's the break down of how I rate my...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sparks has penned another winner in this series. Heather and Jean-Luc have both been bullied in their lives. They deserve the solace, love and passion they find in each other's arms. We are let in on some secrets about other characters from this world, and true to form love, passion, and some adventure is always included. Great read!!
Robin
When famous fashion designer Jean-Luc Echarpe sees a woman drawing a sketch of one of his dresses, he assumes she is stealing the design. But Heather Westfield tells him she just wants to get ideas to make a dress that fits a real woman...not a size zero. Jean-Luc is quite taken with the mortal woman and asks her to work at his design house. But things turn from good to bad when his arch enemy sees Heather and assumes that she is Jean-Luc's lover. Lui has killed two of Jean-Luc's mistresses thro...more
Hbeebti
Really cute , loved the ending. One of my faves of the series so far. Jean Luc was not what I expected at all. He was better. Oh and loved Ian's growing pains. Several Lol moments.
Tilequa
I also like this one because it was different in its own way!!!!!! i read it really fast cause it kept me on my toes the hole time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still love kerrelyn sparks!!!!!
Tishke
1.5 stars.
This was the fifth book in this series that I read. I got so bored, I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. I think it is about time for me to find a better series to read.
Annie Tran
This one dragged really badly. I found the circumstances that drove/kept Heather into hiding at Jean-Luc's unbelievable. I had to fight to the finish.
Mary Johnson
Of the series thus far, this is the best book for a couple of reasons. First, Sparks' vampires are more developed. From reading the first through this novel, it feels almost as if she was unsure of how she wanted her vampires to be, i.e. their skills. Teleportation was awkward in the first few books, and it wasn't until Angus in the third book, that teleporting became easier and without the use of a phone because he could just remember places. Which, if you suspend all reality, doesn't make sens...more
Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One)
Okay, I didn't like this book at all. It took me forever to read.
The guy was way too fem for me. Ick.
Umaiya Rehman
This book was awesome!! :D

I loved Jean-Luc. He is so funny and sweet and nice and caring and loving and accepting and hot and sexy and french and adorable and cute and bossy and stubborn and egotistical and did i mention sexy?
hehehe ;)

At most times you'd find me irritated with how hot and cold Heather but i know for a fact that i would be the same in her situation, not knowing yet still wanting. . . well anybody would be hot and cold.

and now im dying to read Ian's story, so excuse me, Im gonna...more
Adele
Jean luc....I'm pleased to say there are a few star trek references in this book. I'm not sure if that is is why I liked this one the most so far.
or maybe it was the way he went after heather.

Jean luc is a famous Fashion designer, straight from Paris opening a store in ...Texas? wait! what? you might be asking yourself why Texas...don't worry I was too. well he has to hide out as questions are being raised about his appearance. being vampire doesn't help so he agrees to go underground for 25 ye...more
Muse Here
This one was...enticing. It took me a little bit to like Jean Luc, my version of a french guy, made him sound gay, and it didn't help that he is a fashion designer. But by the end, I could see his appeal. Since I'm in a similar situation as Heather, it soured the reading a bit. But the cockroach stuff was too funny! And totally made the book. The final battle scene was perfect! I think my all time favorite of five books I have read. (Not my favorite book, but my favorite battle scene for sure!)...more
StrangeBedfellows
In a word: fun. There's witty dialogue, good chemistry between characters, and enough wackiness to keep things lively. The book is about Heather, a single mother full of stifled dreams, and Jean, a vampire fashion designer who must hide his true nature from the world. Circumstances and an old enemy bring these two together, and they must contend with both extraordinary events and mundane life. Sparks creates a nicely superpowered breed of vampire, though her vamps are not too distinct from other...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
Another fun vampire novel by Kerrelyn Sparks. I love her vampires, first there was Roman & Shanna, then Angus & Emma and now Jean Luc. These 3 vampires have been friends for over 500 years. In this book Jean Luc follows the others into matrimony.

Jean Luc is a fashion designer who needs to go into hiding from the media because questions are being asked about “why does he look like he has not aged in 30 years”. He has decided to go into hiding for 25 years then come out again as his own so...more
Soraia
If you're looking for an easy read that will make you laugh and sigh, Love at Stake is a great series for you. The fourth installment in Kerrelyn Sparks's series is about Jean-Luc Echarpe, French fashion designer of the undead, and Heather Westfield, human history teacher in a small town in Texas.

Jean-Luc has been in the spotlight in the human world for years, as a renowned fashion designer, and people are starting to question how is it he is not aging. To solve the problem, he has to go into ex...more
The Ultimate ABC ...: The Undead Next Door by Kerrelyn Sparks 1 8 Mar 14, 2012 05:48AM
  • Sugarplums and Scandal (Includes: Love at Stake, #2.5)
  • Vampires Are Forever (Argeneau #8)
  • Fangs But No Fangs (Young Brothers, #2)
  • Cross Your Heart (Broken Heart,  #7)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Dark Ones, #4)
Kerrelyn Sparks is the New York Times bestselling author of a series that mimics its sexy heroes by refusing to die. Now up to book thirteen, the Love at Stake series spreads laughter worldwide in thirteen different languages. In spite of a tendency to nibble on necks or howl at the moon, Kerrelyn’s vampire and shapeshifter heroes are still wonderfully romantic.

Please visit www.kerrelynsparks.com...more
More about Kerrelyn Sparks...
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) Be Still My Vampire Heart (Love at Stake, #3) Eat Prey Love (Love at Stake, #9) All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire (Love at Stake, #5) Forbidden Nights with a Vampire (Love at Stake, #7)

“You know how to shoot?"- Emma

"Yes. My dad taught me everything about gun safety. He was an expert." - Heather

"What happened to him?" -Shanna

"He was...shot." -Heather”
147 likes
“My point, exactly. Those poor women are so malnourished, they can’t think straight. Take my friend Sasha. Her idea of a three-course meal is a celery stick, a cherry tomato, and a laxative. She’s killing herself to fit into these clothes. Women like me can’t dress like that.” 46 likes