Start by marking “Big Blonde and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Big Blonde and Other Stories

Big Blonde and Other Stories

Three brilliant tales by a master storyteller: 'Big Blonde', 'The Sexes'and 'Dusk Before Fireworks'.

W. Somerset Maugham on Parker: 'Dorothy Parker has a wonderfully delicate ear for human speech .... Her style is easy without being slipshod and cultivated without affectation. It is a perfect instrument for the display of her many-sided humour, her irony, her sarcasm, her t
Paperback, Penguin 60s, 58 pages
Published September 1st 1995 by Penguin (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Big Blonde and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Blonde and Other Stories

Matthew
Nov 10, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The three stories in this short collection are BIG BLONDE, THE SEXES, and DUSK BEFORE FIREWORKS.

BIG BLONDE chronicles the downfall of a woman (the titular "big blonde") from marriage to divorce to a string of men (not suitors, but men looking for a good time, men who want her to be a "good sport"). The story may be Parker at her most cynical. Readers familiar with Parker's style won't be surprised, but new readers may be taken aback. It's not a spoiler for me to say that the story doesn't end we
Dfordoom
Apr 23, 2008 Dfordoom rated it really liked it
One of the local second-hand bookstores had a stack of those little Penguin 60s, so we grabbed most of them. A good chance to try authors we hadn’t read before, or catch on authors we hadn’t read for years. I’ve just finished the Dorothy Parker one, Big Blonde and other stories. The title story is about a woman whose life just doesn’t seem to work out for her, and she doesn’t really understand why that is. Her relationships with men all end badly, not surprising since the men she gets involved w ...more
John Spillane
Sep 13, 2010 John Spillane rated it liked it
Dorthy Parker has some great quotes and a compelling biography, but after audio booking a bunch of her short stories and actually reading her "masterpiece" I respect her ability, but can't get around the depressing, Peggy in the first season of Mad Men, tone/setting that dominates her work.
Paola Marques
Jul 21, 2015 Paola Marques rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
melhor livro do ano
Kris
Nov 22, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it
Dorothy Parker was a known writer of wit, and I've always wanted to read some of her works. This was my first, and I was pleased with this collection of short stories.

She has a way with dialogue, and how it would flow from "certain types" of people. She manages to mix sadness with black humour and amusement all in one. I look forward to reading more of her works in the future.
Cristiana Brenner
Feb 16, 2014 Cristiana Brenner rated it really liked it
Uma visão debochada de Nova York da década de 20...ela nos faz rir, mas esse riso é ferramenta para escancarar certos pontos obscuros, como o desconforto de alguns personagens com suas próprias vidas, a incapacidade de se fazer ouvir, rejeições amorosas e afins – e aí parece que esse é o verdadeiro ponto, e não as futilidades mais bobas.
Martin Pepe
Nov 20, 2012 Martin Pepe rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was expecting the Parker wit, but this really is an examination of male and female relationships in short vignettes. All melancholy and all that ring true even in our contemporary times. Not what I would call uplifting in any way but see does have a knack for capturing the sounds and rhythms of a couples quarrel that you've heard in one form or another over the years. Short and worth a read.
Douglas
Nov 14, 2016 Douglas rated it it was amazing
This is just a review of the eponymous Big Blond story.

Upon finishing "After Leaving Mr Mackenzie", a friend recommended Big Blond. It appears to be set in about the same time and the stories are incredibly similar. A woman of some merit that based her life on men, and drinking.

I don't know why I've read so little Parker. It's not like I haven't heard of her. That will change.
Janet
Oct 07, 2009 Janet rated it it was amazing
These three are Dorothy Parker's best stories, and Big Blonde the best of the three--the sadness you hear in Twenties blues, the mockery of the clarinet, the bitter mouthful of the flippant line, it's all here. Love this Penguin series--it's the bite that tempts you deeper.
Terry Gallagher
Mar 16, 2014 Terry Gallagher rated it really liked it
I love these little Penquin editions, published on their 60th anniversary in 1995, and bought a bunch of them at the time for $.95 each. I'm just now getting around to reading a few of them, including this little set of Dorothy Parker stories.
Angie
Nov 18, 2008 Angie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who want to feel depressed & hopeless
Recommended to Angie by: Saw it in the bookstore
The stories are well written, but without hope. They are dark tales about sad people. They are more of character sketches, lacking much of a plot-line.
Jan 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone!
I adore Dorothy Parker. And while in general I prefer her poetry to her short stories, the short stories are still very good. And this is a perfect short and sweet introduction to her stories.
Juliar1979
Feb 22, 2013 Juliar1979 rated it liked it
The first stories were nicely done and quite entertaining; but it got boring after a while as they were so similar to each other. Better read one after the other and not in one go.
Gisele
Jul 25, 2011 Gisele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crônicas sobre as mulheres de NY nos anos 20. Narrativa fora do convencional, e histórias que são atuais apesar do livro ter sido escrito há mais de 80 anos.
Kurt Vandemaele
Kurt Vandemaele rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Lauri
Lauri rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2009
Brenda
Brenda rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2008
Rhiannon Stevenson
Rhiannon Stevenson rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2011
PatG Lawson
PatG Lawson rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Leigh Hinton-Ridling
Leigh Hinton-Ridling rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Nicholas Emeigh
Nicholas Emeigh rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Emily Collins
Emily Collins rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Maya
Maya rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Quiet
Quiet rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Milissa Bially
Milissa Bially rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
  • A New Aristotle Reader
  • The Chrysanthemums and Other Stories
  • The Black Monk
  • Death Kit
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • Rumpole and the younger generation
  • Blue Rose
  • The Action Heroine's Handbook
  • Out of This Furnace
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Dorothy Parker was an American writer and poet best known for her caustic wit, wisecracks, and sharp eye for 20th century urban foibles. From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Ta
More about Dorothy Parker...