Start by marking “Divine Beginnings (Partholon, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Divine Beginnings (Partholon, #0.5)

Divine Beginnings (Partholon 0.5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,534 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Go back in time, fifty years before the events of New York Times bestselling author P.C. Cast's Partholon books...

Something isn't right at Guardian Castle, and Aine can't figure out what. As Healer, she's supposed to be making things better, but there's a darkness that can't be brightened. And then Aine finds an injured Fomorian--winged, dark, blood-thirsty and inherently
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Beginnings

Fallen by Lauren KateParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteUnearthly by Cynthia HandSupernaturally by Kiersten WhiteCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Sometimes we do judge a book by its cover
102nd out of 167 books — 73 voters
Shattered Souls by Mary LindseyCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClarePassion by Lauren KateDivergent by Veronica RothAngelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
2011 YA Books To Read
146th out of 242 books — 192 voters

More lists with this book...

Lilsue Torrez-hutcherson
The begining of a beautiful saga. I am glad that I was able to read this book. I have already read the other books, and reading this short book really melts my heart, and makes me want to reread the whole series all over again. I am not sure if this story is e-book only or if it is out in paper back, but it is well worth the money.

This whole series is very refreshing
Brittney
Alex Bennett
I seriously had no idea what to expect from Divine Beginnings. I wanted to read it to see what the world of Partholon was like, since I plan on reading the series sometime soon. And while it definitely made me itching to read the series, it did fall flat in a place or two.

The story is short and straight to the point. There isn’t anything that doesn’t help the story progress, and it was very easy to read. At first, I was thrown off by some unknown words, but when I got into the story, I want affe
Megandia
I picked this up really just for laughs as I don't like her House of Night series. I also wanted to see how she handled "adult novels".

I think I was too generous with three stars. I know it was a short story but it was missing so much! And the dialogue!!! The editor in me was crying! There was so much useless information in the dialogue that she could have done without or rewritten. And...SPOILERS... I shook my head at the end where Aine and Tegan watch Shannon? take the urn. Her comment sounde
Serena
I can't comment much on this, as it's the first bit of the series I've read, under 70 pages (which is somehow valued at $2.99 on Amazon?!) and featured a Partholon named Aine at "Guardian Castle" which is supposed to act as some kind of barrier between Partholon and it's Goddess (who is quite chatty and actually shows up) and the Fomorian wastelands, but obviously not is all it appears.

Or, actually, it is, grey, washed out, "evil" verses Partholon forest and vibrant colors, I guess.

Tegan (the
Ashlee
Jan 17, 2010 Ashlee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other PC Cast fans
Recommended to Ashlee by: no one
Didn't know this was a prequel when I was reading it. I like it for the most part but it felt too rushed and on the Nook not all the pages were complete so that kinda sucked. I do plan on reading the actual series though, so maybe that'll make it a little better.
Shelley
1st PC Cast book. It was good- not long enough but my understanding is her other books do go into more detail. Think I will continue on with this series to get a better idea of how I like PC Cast!
Ria
For a prequel, this is a fast read and gets straight to the point. I was left feeling confused at the sheer pace of things, Aine goes from hate to intrigue to lust to love in the(seeming) blink of an eye. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but I did think it would be a bit longer. All in all, a very quick, mildly good read that felt really rushed. Unfortunately, it did little to interest me in the rest of the series; however, I will read it all anyways. :)
Pamela
I am such a huge fan of the other Partholon books, but really wasn't keen on this one. It just felt like the author had knocked it out in a single afternoon. Yes, it was a short story, but it was just so lacking in the detail and personalities that made her other stories shine. In my oh-so-humble opinion, the plot covered in this short story really should have been developed further. I think I would have liked it a lot more if she'd fleshed it out into a full-length novel so that I had a chance ...more
Emily
This is a novella-length prequel to Cast's Parthelon series. I have not yet read that series, but I was a bit disenchanted with her House of Night books, after initially liking them a lot, and so decided to begin here as it wasn't too big of a commitment. This is a nice introduction to the Parthelon world, easily understood without prior knowledge, although I expect, due to the ending, that it would be more poignant to one who'd already read that series. I enjoyed Cast's writing more here than t ...more
Diane Goodman
This is the first book of the Cast's that I have read,I wasn't really crazy about it but you might have a different opinion of it.
Katherine
DNF. I'm going to try again once I've read some of the series...I feel like this is a .5 meant to be read after book 1 rather than before
Jackie
Good. Ties some things together, but it's been a while since I read the series, so I think I missed details that were supposed to mean more to me.
Darlene
Apr 11, 2012 Darlene rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yvensong
Recommended to Darlene by: accidental find from library
This is the beginning of the Partholon series. I mistakenly picked Elphame's Choice from the library and felt very lost. So after a bit of research, I think this is the book I should be reading.

***
Yep, that felt like a beginning. Though there is a creature similar to a vampire and I am not sure if the main character is human. I am not used to reading books about other humanoid beings. I did pick up that the MC's best friend was centaur. It was an okay read. I am going to find the sext in the ser
Melissa Perkins
A perfect beginning

I have always loved theses books. they are definitely some of my favorite. not giving anything away but as I said an absolutely perfect beginning
MountainKat
This book was just OK for me, not bad, but nothing that good either. I read it as a freebie to get a feel for the authors style and knew that I would have to overlook some things because it was a short story, but it still didn't do much for me. Oh well.

Finished 9.8.11, date removed so it wouldn't count in the total reading challenge.
Tina
When I first thought of reading this series, I was hesitant. When I first saw this on BN.com, I thought that I would give it a try. As of right now I am going back on the website and buy the rest of this series. I LOVED this DIVINE taste. I cant wait to read the rest.
Brittany
If you enjoy a sweet and short read dont hesitate to read this little book. I read this online at epubbud since (unfortunately) it is only available electronically. I really enjoyed reading this back ground and LOVED how the ending tied into everything. Well done P.C. Cast!
Adriane
This is a short and sweet beginning to the "Divine" series by P.C. Cast, she sets the tone for the world in about 100 pages. I'm looking forward to reading more in the "Divine" series, I'd like to see how she takes the story along in this pre-HON series.
Raashmi
It tells of the spark of humanity in the demonic and the demonic in humanity.
The cover is a liitle disappointing though. Used to the exquisite illustration for the books, i find it a little disappointing. But fortunately it does not detract from the story.
Aine
I love that the main character has my name. It's my pagan name, and it's what most people call me. I've only ever seen it in Celtic mythology. So the fact that it was used in my favorite series by a favorite author... very exciting.
Natalie Lozano
This book held my attention the whole way through. Only thing was it's more of a side short story. So it is only about 63 pages long. Well written in true Cast style though. I am definitely looking forward to reading this series now.
Amber
it was a very short very to the point story, paid about 2.54 i believe for it wasn't worth that.. but it was a interesting very fast love story, it being the PRE quel to the others i assume thats why it was so short
Jenna
I liked the books of the Partholon and this was no exception as a short story. It was nice to see another side of the Formarians who aren't *all* evil...just like any group of people/beings, there are good and bad.
Marcella
Like all P.C. Cast's books in the Divine series, the story was great. My only problem with it, was that it was not long enough. It read more like a short story than a novel. That was a little disappointing.
Jacy
This one sets up the whole series. It was a quick read that added so much to the series. It takes place fifty years before Divine by Mistake, giving a different view of Guardian Castle and the evil it holds.
Sha
Really like it!!! Just hoped it was a longer!!! But still one of the best prequel stories I have ever read!!! I totally recomended to everyone who like a good story about imposible by society love!!! =D
Denise
This was WAY To short. Could have been an entire book with more depth. It was a nice lead into the Divine by Mistake book so read it first but it is a quick read and more like a short story.
Sara
I had absolutely no idea that these kinds of books were written for young adults. I like the idea, and I didn't think it was that bad of a book. I don't really know who I'd recommend it to, though.
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Enchantress (Sisters of Isis, #3)
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Lost (Lost #1)
  • Sin's Daughter (Otherkin, #0.5)
  • Lucan (Pendragon Legacy #1)
  • The Sin Eater's Promise (Of Angels and Demons #1.5)
  • The Protector (Time Raiders #4)
  • The Seeker (Time Raiders #1)
  • The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #2)
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Genesis Queen (The Road to Hell, #3)
  • Daire Meets Ever (Soul Seekers, #0.5)
P.C. Cast was born in the Midwestern United States, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. With her tour in the USAF completed, she taught high school for 15 years before retirin ...more
More about P.C. Cast...

Partholon (6 books)
  • Divine By Mistake (Partholon, #1)
  • Divine By Choice (Partholon, #2)
  • Divine By Blood (Partholon, #3)
  • Elphame's Choice (Partholon, #4)
  • Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #5)
  • Darkness Divine
Marked (House of Night #1) Betrayed (House of Night, #2) Untamed (House of Night #4) Chosen (House of Night #3) Hunted (House of Night, #5)