Start by marking “Divine Beginnings (Partholon, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Divine Beginnings (Partholon, #0.5)

Divine Beginnings (Partholon 0.5)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,799 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Go back in time, fifty years before the events of New York Times bestselling author P.C. Cast's Partholon books...

Something isn't right at Guardian Castle, and Aine can't figure out what. As Healer, she's supposed to be making things better, but there's a darkness that can't be brightened. And then Aine finds an injured Fomorian--winged, dark, blood-thirsty and inherently
Kindle Edition
Published (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Beginnings

Lilsue Torrez-hutcherson
Apr 13, 2011 Lilsue Torrez-hutcherson rated it it was amazing
The begining of a beautiful saga. I am glad that I was able to read this book. I have already read the other books, and reading this short book really melts my heart, and makes me want to reread the whole series all over again. I am not sure if this story is e-book only or if it is out in paper back, but it is well worth the money.

This whole series is very refreshing
Brittney
Apr 27, 2014 Brittney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alex Bennett
I seriously had no idea what to expect from Divine Beginnings. I wanted to read it to see what the world of Partholon was like, since I plan on reading the series sometime soon. And while it definitely made me itching to read the series, it did fall flat in a place or two.

The story is short and straight to the point. There isn’t anything that doesn’t help the story progress, and it was very easy to read. At first, I was thrown off by some unknown words, but when I got into the story, I want affe
Megan
I picked this up really just for laughs as I don't like her House of Night series. I also wanted to see how she handled "adult novels".

I think I was too generous with three stars. I know it was a short story but it was missing so much! And the dialogue!!! The editor in me was crying! There was so much useless information in the dialogue that she could have done without or rewritten. And...SPOILERS... I shook my head at the end where Aine and Tegan watch Shannon? take the urn. Her comment sounde
Ashlee
Jan 17, 2010 Ashlee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other PC Cast fans
Recommended to Ashlee by: no one
Didn't know this was a prequel when I was reading it. I like it for the most part but it felt too rushed and on the Nook not all the pages were complete so that kinda sucked. I do plan on reading the actual series though, so maybe that'll make it a little better.
Shelley
1st PC Cast book. It was good- not long enough but my understanding is her other books do go into more detail. Think I will continue on with this series to get a better idea of how I like PC Cast!
Jenny Koch
Maybe I would have enjoyed this more if I had read the series before reading this prequel short story. Everything - particularly the "romance" - moved at lighting speed. One moment the heroine was convinced the hero was a evil demon and the next they were professing their everlasting love. It was just so bizarre.
Serena
Jul 30, 2015 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't comment much on this, as it's the first bit of the series I've read, under 70 pages (which is somehow valued at $2.99 on Amazon?!) and featured a Partholon named Aine at "Guardian Castle" which is supposed to act as some kind of barrier between Partholon and it's Goddess (who is quite chatty and actually shows up) and the Fomorian wastelands, but obviously not is all it appears.

Or, actually, it is, grey, washed out, "evil" verses Partholon forest and vibrant colors, I guess.

Tegan (the
Pamela
Aug 12, 2014 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am such a huge fan of the other Partholon books, but really wasn't keen on this one. It just felt like the author had knocked it out in a single afternoon. Yes, it was a short story, but it was just so lacking in the detail and personalities that made her other stories shine. In my oh-so-humble opinion, the plot covered in this short story really should have been developed further. I think I would have liked it a lot more if she'd fleshed it out into a full-length novel so that I had a chance ...more
Emily
Jul 08, 2013 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novella-length prequel to Cast's Parthelon series. I have not yet read that series, but I was a bit disenchanted with her House of Night books, after initially liking them a lot, and so decided to begin here as it wasn't too big of a commitment. This is a nice introduction to the Parthelon world, easily understood without prior knowledge, although I expect, due to the ending, that it would be more poignant to one who'd already read that series. I enjoyed Cast's writing more here than t ...more
Jasmyn
This was a really cute prequel to the Partholon series. We get to see a bit more about how the Fomorians began their invasion and how they initially sunk their claws into the land. It also lays the groundwork for the vase and antique show - which actually does clear up a handful of questions that I just gave up on from book one.

The romance is very quick. It's a down and dirty novella so there isn't a lot of time for courting here. But it is still a very sweet one that is quite unexpected. The de
Darlene
Apr 11, 2012 Darlene rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yvensong
Recommended to Darlene by: accidental find from library
This is the beginning of the Partholon series. I mistakenly picked Elphame's Choice from the library and felt very lost. So after a bit of research, I think this is the book I should be reading.

***
Yep, that felt like a beginning. Though there is a creature similar to a vampire and I am not sure if the main character is human. I am not used to reading books about other humanoid beings. I did pick up that the MC's best friend was centaur. It was an okay read. I am going to find the sext in the ser
Ria
For a prequel, this is a fast read and gets straight to the point. I was left feeling confused at the sheer pace of things, Aine goes from hate to intrigue to lust to love in the(seeming) blink of an eye. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but I did think it would be a bit longer. All in all, a very quick, mildly good read that felt really rushed. Unfortunately, it did little to interest me in the rest of the series; however, I will read it all anyways. :)
MountainKat
Jan 16, 2011 MountainKat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This book was just OK for me, not bad, but nothing that good either. I read it as a freebie to get a feel for the authors style and knew that I would have to overlook some things because it was a short story, but it still didn't do much for me. Oh well.

Finished 9.8.11, date removed so it wouldn't count in the total reading challenge.
Raashmi
May 16, 2013 Raashmi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It tells of the spark of humanity in the demonic and the demonic in humanity.
The cover is a liitle disappointing though. Used to the exquisite illustration for the books, i find it a little disappointing. But fortunately it does not detract from the story.
Brittany
So I just reread the goddess summoning series and I just was not ready to be done with P.C. Cast. So of course I thought of the Partholon series and now I am so glad that I picked up this series again. I cannot wait to start book 1!
Marcella
Sep 07, 2010 Marcella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all P.C. Cast's books in the Divine series, the story was great. My only problem with it, was that it was not long enough. It read more like a short story than a novel. That was a little disappointing.
Sha
Feb 14, 2011 Sha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
Really like it!!! Just hoped it was a longer!!! But still one of the best prequel stories I have ever read!!! I totally recomended to everyone who like a good story about imposible by society love!!! =D
Tina
Oct 03, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books
When I first thought of reading this series, I was hesitant. When I first saw this on BN.com, I thought that I would give it a try. As of right now I am going back on the website and buy the rest of this series. I LOVED this DIVINE taste. I cant wait to read the rest.
Kimberly Kolter
Aug 30, 2012 Kimberly Kolter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. It wove in a lot of the characters and situations that are the beginning of Divine by Mistake. Definitely worth the read! It is nice and short. Perfect for a lazy summer day, where you just want to lounge in a chair with some iced tea for a couple hours read.
Aine
Dec 19, 2010 Aine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love that the main character has my name. It's my pagan name, and it's what most people call me. I've only ever seen it in Celtic mythology. So the fact that it was used in my favorite series by a favorite author... very exciting.
Amber
Jun 15, 2010 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was a very short very to the point story, paid about 2.54 i believe for it wasn't worth that.. but it was a interesting very fast love story, it being the PRE quel to the others i assume thats why it was so short
Natalie Lozano
This book held my attention the whole way through. Only thing was it's more of a side short story. So it is only about 63 pages long. Well written in true Cast style though. I am definitely looking forward to reading this series now.
Jacy
Feb 23, 2011 Jacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one sets up the whole series. It was a quick read that added so much to the series. It takes place fifty years before Divine by Mistake, giving a different view of Guardian Castle and the evil it holds.
Jenna
Feb 02, 2010 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the books of the Partholon and this was no exception as a short story. It was nice to see another side of the Formarians who aren't *all* evil...just like any group of people/beings, there are good and bad.
Jade Silhouete
Nov 13, 2016 Jade Silhouete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it. I have read a few of her other books and loved each one. My only mew is that i dont have the rest of this book set. But I know that when I can i will be keeping my eyes out for them. A must read if you want a series that is differnt and a fun surprise.
Brittany
Dec 27, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy a sweet and short read dont hesitate to read this little book. I read this online at epubbud since (unfortunately) it is only available electronically. I really enjoyed reading this back ground and LOVED how the ending tied into everything. Well done P.C. Cast!
Adriane
This is a short and sweet beginning to the "Divine" series by P.C. Cast, she sets the tone for the world in about 100 pages. I'm looking forward to reading more in the "Divine" series, I'd like to see how she takes the story along in this pre-HON series.
Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews)
Very short prequel to the series but very good none the less.
Kennedy
extremely quick read. literally can be read in an afternoon.
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • Under Sea's Shadow
  • Enchantress (Sisters of Isis, #3)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Lucan (Pendragon Legacy #1)
  • Soul Bonds (Circles of Light)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Bewitched Bothered & Bevampyred
  • Elfin Blood
  • Son of the Sea
  • Blacklisted (Young Adult Alien Huntress, #2)
  • The Slayer (Time Raiders #2)
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • The Star Witch (Fyne Witches, #3)
  • Sin's Daughter (The Sins Series, #0.5)
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more
More about P.C. Cast...

Partholon (5 books)
  • Divine By Mistake (Partholon, #1)
  • Divine By Choice (Partholon, #2)
  • Divine By Blood (Partholon, #3)
  • Elphame's Choice (Partholon, #4)
  • Brighid's Quest (Partholon, #5)