Start by marking “Women and Jewish Law: The Essential Texts, Their History, and Their Relevance for Today” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
How has a legal tradition determined by men affected the lives of women? What are the traditional Jewish views of marriage, divorce, sexuality, contraception, abortion? Women and Jewish Law gives contemporary readers access to the central texts of the Jewish religious tradition on issues of special concern to women. Combining a historical overview with a thoughtful feminis ...more
Published August 22nd 1995 by Schocken (first published August 12th 1984)

Patty
I probably should not put this book on my shelf as read. Skimmed would be more accurate. I have never been interested in the law and the laws in this book are never going to be part of my life. I do understand that Biale has done remarkable work with this text and I am glad to have read most of it. I just found it hard to pay attention when I have other books I would rather be reading.

I also found that I don't like textbooks on the Kindle. When I read for a class, I tend to read the assignment a
Rachel
Jul 10, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
I was fascinated by the discussion of Jewish texts and abortion, sex within marriage, sex outside of marriage, purity etc. I was surprised by much of what I read. And at times challenged - oh, wow, ancient Jewish texts were sometimes surprisingly sex-positive.
Danielle
Dec 11, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Excellent introductory study of the way women are understood and framed within major Jewish texts. We used this text for a graduate course on Women and Jewish law, and I highly recommended it. It may be a little technical for some readers, but it is written for a general audience.
Lillian
Feb 01, 2013 Lillian rated it really liked it
Definitely learned a few things, and found it as a good book to begin my studies, personally. However, I'm not sure many people would agree with me on that. ;)
Patrick Twumasi
Patrick Twumasi marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Aactor
Aactor rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Cynthia Saoirse
Cynthia Saoirse marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Sylvia Shulamit
Sylvia Shulamit marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Monique Gaunty
Monique Gaunty marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Julia Boyer
Julia Boyer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Emmanuel Ndumanya
Emmanuel Ndumanya rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Jul 28, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Eden
Eden added it
Jan 13, 2016
Khathu
Khathu marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Melmoth
Melmoth rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Frances
Frances rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2015
Kris
Kris rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“A woman’s voice is considered a sexual provocation (kol be-ishah ervah), so that a woman may not read or recite before men.” 0 likes