Start by marking “Women and Jewish Law: The Essential Texts, Their History, and Their Relevance for Today” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  4 reviews
How has a legal tradition determined by men affected the lives of women? What are the traditional Jewish views of marriage, divorce, sexuality, contraception, abortion? Women and Jewish Law gives contemporary readers access to the central texts of the Jewish religious tradition on issues of special concern to women. Combining a historical overview with a thoughtful feminis ...more
Published August 22nd 1995 by Schocken (first published August 12th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Women and Jewish Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women and Jewish Law

Patty
I probably should not put this book on my shelf as read. Skimmed would be more accurate. I have never been interested in the law and the laws in this book are never going to be part of my life. I do understand that Biale has done remarkable work with this text and I am glad to have read most of it. I just found it hard to pay attention when I have other books I would rather be reading.

I also found that I don't like textbooks on the Kindle. When I read for a class, I tend to read the assignment a
Rachel
I was fascinated by the discussion of Jewish texts and abortion, sex within marriage, sex outside of marriage, purity etc. I was surprised by much of what I read. And at times challenged - oh, wow, ancient Jewish texts were sometimes surprisingly sex-positive.
Danielle
Excellent introductory study of the way women are understood and framed within major Jewish texts. We used this text for a graduate course on Women and Jewish law, and I highly recommended it. It may be a little technical for some readers, but it is written for a general audience.
Lillian
Definitely learned a few things, and found it as a good book to begin my studies, personally. However, I'm not sure many people would agree with me on that. ;)
Monique Gaunty
Monique Gaunty marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Julia Boyer
Julia Boyer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Jul 28, 2015
Khathu
Khathu marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Priscilla Ayala
Priscilla Ayala marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Roberto Lopez
Roberto Lopez marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
We Are Moving: Lets Make a Book About It My Pet Died

“A woman’s voice is considered a sexual provocation (kol be-ishah ervah), so that a woman may not read or recite before men.” 0 likes