Start by marking “Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)

Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  72,608 Ratings  ·  3,289 Reviews
At the end of the school year, Kendra and her brother, Seth, find themselves racing back to Fablehaven, a refuge for mythical and magical creatures. Grandpa Sorenson, the caretaker, invites three specialists- a potion master, a magical relics collector, and a mystical creature trapper- to help protect the property from the Society of the Evening Star, an ancient organizati ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Evening Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Evening Star

Kimberley doruyter
if there was ever a person in the world that does not learn for there mistakes it's seth.
Aaron Vincent
My first venture to the magical world of Fablehaven was truly an unforgettable one. I just couldn’t stop raving about it to every bookish person I know. Truth be told, I read Harry Potter series because a number of critics and authors compared Fablehaven to it(and yes, I just read Harry Potter this year. Please, don’t kill me.) I wanted to prolong the pleasure in reading the entire Fablehaven series so I didn’t read the 2nd book immediately after the 1st one. I finally decided to revisit Fableha ...more
P
Aug 18, 2015 P rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
เปนหนังสือทีเอามาอานกอนนอนไดสนุกมาก เนือเรืองนาสนใจขึนกวาเลมทีแลว แตยังไมพีคถึงขนาดทีวา...อานแลวจะวางไมลง เพราะเราหยิบๆวางๆหนังสือเลมนีหลายครังมากกวาจะอานจบ เนือเรืองตามสไตลแบรนดอนเขาแหละ คือไมเนนความหวือหวา แตเนนบรรยากาศทีเรือยๆ อานเพลินๆ ไมเรงในการคลายปมปัญหา ซึงมีทังขอดีและขอเสีย ขอดีคือ...มันจะคอยๆบิวทอารมณเราไปเรือยๆแบบไมมีสะดุด ขอเสียกคือ...มันงวงจนเราหลับไปหลายรอบเลยนะสิ

จะวากวานะ ... เซธนารำคาญนอยกวาเลมทีแลว แตกยังมีมุมใหนาตบกะโหลกอยูอีกเหมือนกัน สวนเคนดราฉายเดียวในตอนทายแบบเลมกอนอีกแลว ส
Tyler
Mar 23, 2009 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kendra and Seth can't wait for the end of the school year so that they can return to visit their grandparents at Fablehaven. A few days before the school year ends, a scabby kobold appears in her class. The kobold appears normal to everybody except Kendra. With the aid of a kobold exterminator they get rid of him and are then swiftly evacuated to Fablehaven for their own safety. Once there, they find out that the Society of the Evening Star (which opposes preserves such as Fablehaven) has gotten ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2), Brandon Mull
عنوان: پنجگانه افسانه 2 طلوع ستاره مغرب؛ نویسنده: براندن (براندون) مال (مول)؛ مترجم: میلاد فشتمی؛ تهران، بهنام، 1389، در 453 ص؛ از مجموعه پنجگانه افسانه - کتاب دوم؛ شابک: 9789645668677؛ موضوع: داستانهای کودکان از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
در پایان سال تحصیلی کندرا و ست بار دیگر به آشیانه افسانه بازمیگردند. پدر بزرگ سورنسون برای تقویت امنیت پناهگاه افسانه ای در برابر انجمن ستاره مغرب، سه متخصص به آشیانه دعوت کرده، انجمن قصد دارد به پناهگاه نف
Kelly
 photo a9e4dd1f-a127-4e9d-b765-e79a84623015_zps4cmglmws.png

photo yeah_zpsja1vgpzm.gif

Satyrs, Narcoblix, Brownies, fairies, Weird Puppet intertwine with deceit, betrayals and non stop action makes this second installment even better than the first. I can't wait to move unto book three.

Love It
DeLaina
Jan 31, 2008 DeLaina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DeLaina by: my 10-yr old daughter Amanda, thanks to Jen Christensen's daught
Shelves: ya
I liked the sequel to Fablehaven even better than Fablehaven itself. The author was able to flesh out the characters and each gained a lot of depth.

I read Fablehaven last night, and the sequel, Rise of the Evening Star, tonight, so they're quick reads at 3-4 hours each. (Thank you writer's strike and sick, clingy kids who INSIST on me holding them and not minding me reading at the same time!!!)

They’re fantasy, not unlike Harry Potter but more infused with value of the family. No Dudley or mean
Thomas
Mar 28, 2008 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Kendra and Seth return to Fablehaven to discover more of what they don't know (and that can kill them) and save the day. Seth, now a year older, is a little wiser and doesn't find himself in as much trouble, but again, it is Kendra who comes through.

By the way, in both books, while Kendra is the reluctant heroine, she is helped by others, so this isn't some supergirl of unlimited capabilities or powers.

I get the feeling, in reading these first two books in the series, that these two young advent
Rachel Lightwood
Usually people have a special book or a series that ‘got them into reading’. I am lucky enough to be able to say that I’ve always been a reader (which sounds like I’m bragging for some reason, but I’m not trying to). There’s not a period in my life that I can remember when I didn’t have a book in my hand! But with that being said, there are definitely a few series from my childhood that stand out and that played a major role in my love of books. One of those series was Mull’s Fablehaven saga.

Go
Almak
Feb 21, 2010 Almak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The events in Rise of the Evening Star pick up months after where Fablehaven left off. It continues the adventures of Kendra and Seth Sorensen as they become embroiled in an insidious plot by the forces of evil to obtain powerful, magical items and unleash a nearly unstoppable horror.

Mull deftly continues to add to the wonders of the world that is Fablehaven, giving the reader new exciting storyline and plots while nimbly threading in those from the previous book.

His writing etches the framework
Rachel
Nov 09, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
GREAT writing. If you liked Harry Potter, you'll LOVE this one. The writing is tighter, the characters not as....angst-filled, a little more real, I think.
The world is so beautiful and yet real-feeling. There is a great sense of morality without the SLAP of it in your face. NO force feeding here, just a delightful romp, jog and then a mad-dash to the climax in a world of majesty and power that is both magical and compelling.
LOVED it. EVERY person (at least a dozen) I have recommended it to (even
Chantele Sedgwick
Feb 07, 2008 Chantele Sedgwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Originally read in 2008. Just re-read and loved it just as much the second time! Such a fun series! One of my favorites.
Exina
Rise of the Evening Star, the second installment of the Fablehaven series is more dynamic and more complex than the first one. More mysteries, more adventures take place, and keep you absorbed throughout the story.

The world-building in the first book, Fablehaven, was incomplete and unrefined, now the magical world of Fablehaven begins to unfold, as well as more and more special abilities of Kendra.

Colorful and varied magic is created in Rise of the Evening Star. It is so diverse both in its crea
May 13, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was better then the first. I am still not drawn to the main characters. I wish Kendra would take some more initiative and try to find out what her talents and powers are from being made fairy kind. There is so much build up to that and it is left hanging again in this book like it was in the first. I wish Seth would set a better example in the book, he is constantly disobeying, I was not thrilled with the things the children did in this book, i.e. sneaking out of their parents ...more
Lindsey
May 03, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle-schoolers, clean read, boy-and-girl appeal, fast read
Recommended to Lindsey by: Andrew and Cynthia
Shelves: cleanreads, reviewed
All right. This book was a mess. By about page 300 I was just zipping through it, so as to have the vital information for the next installment, because A and C promised it gets better. Sigh.

As usual, Mull delivers on imaginative world building, and the pace never slows, but his logical foundation is so weak I don't dare examine it--one too-direct breath could knock the whole thing over.

(view spoiler)
Connor
Apr 15, 2014 Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This book was really awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed it with all of its fairy and mythological creatures. Seth and Kendra are two siblings who discovered that their grandparents were the caretakers of a magical menagerie in the first installment, Fablehaven. In this one, the evil Evening Star is trying to make their move against Fablehaven, and the siblings have to use all their wits and courage to defend the menagerie and the world. Kendra was awesome, smart, motivated, and responsible. She was j ...more
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
“Sometimes the most preposterous lies are the most believable.”

4 stars.

Certainly an improvement from the first book, but Seth is still an idiot. Kendra has become the most capable out of the both of them, but I can see Seth learning somewhat. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sorry this is such a short review. :P
L.R.W. Lee
Intriguing and creative

A great continuation of the first book in the series. New characters and obstacles with and end that brilliantly sets up the next phase of the journey.
Alice Spades
Mar 21, 2016 Alice Spades rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
the twist...
Rana Heshmati
Feb 14, 2017 Rana Heshmati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: Sana Heshmati
خوندنش خوش گذشت و حتی نسبتاً سریع بود. یعنی کشش خوبی داشت! دوسش داشتم هم! اما بنظرم به ارتباط آدم ها کم پرداخته بود.. نمی دونم، ولی انتظار بیشتری داشتم! بیشتر پر از اتفاقات هیجان انگیز و حادثه بود، تا کند و کاو در ذهن شخصیت ها و درگیر شدن!
Hannah Walsh
Jun 14, 2015 Hannah Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is really unique and fun to read. I love the humor and all the interesting characters.
I thought this one was better than the first, and I'm looking forward to reading more!
Jen
I really enjoyed this story. I would have called it a "4.5 star - great!" story if not for two major annoyances: My Number One Annoyance was Seth. Annoyance Number Two was the ending. But more on these later. First, let's talk about the story and what I "really enjoyed."

In this second outing with Kendra and Seth, they go back to Fablehaven at the end of the school year, as stated on the book jacket. But first, Kendra (view spoiler)
Francis
Jun 29, 2014 Francis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites-books
Quiero aclarar y reafirmar que esta saga es fantástica.

Puede que sea algo más infantil que otras, que no esté bien fundamentada o que no sea tan conocida... pero es una lectura muy imaginativa, adictiva y va evolucionando en cada libro.

Tanto la historia como los personajes enganchan de una manera brutal; Fablehaven es un mundo increíble, de ensueño y repleto de magia.
El amor por la imaginación, la vida y los seres fantásticos se refleja en cada una de sus páginas y la lucha incansable entre el b
Jul 02, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed this book slightly more than I did the first one. I like a little more action/adventure/intrigue to my fantasy novels and this one delivered in comparison. I did not like how neither of the main characters played much of a role in the climaxing moments of the second book. Kendra WAS acceptably involved in the first novel.

I'm a Potter fan, I admit it, so permit me my little rant. In the Harry Potter books the characters have great mentors but in the crucial deciding moment
Erin
Fablehaven is flat and forgettable. There is plenty of action and adventure, but it is soon forgotten when the book is finished.

However, I did have to give this book the dubious honor of being labeled “rubbish”. Mull has an uncanny knack for writing offensive things about Indians. This book had children playing on a Foosball table populated with cowboys and Indians – complete with headdresses and bare chests. For those struggling to wrap their heads around this, an illustration is included on pa
Heather
Oct 12, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fantasy
Oh man, this series is getting better and better. I love it and I can't wait to get started on book three. The new characters spiced things up and added to the over all story. I love Seth and Kendra's brother/sister relationship. They're hilarious, funny, and brave. I'm happy that Warren was brought back, I can't wait to get a little more of him. I like how we are getting more and more closer to unraveling things in Fablehaven, and we don't have to wait for the very last book for mysteries to un ...more
Avery (ThePagemaster)
A great second installment to the series, for those who enjoyed dipping their toes in the first book.

This book takes place a year later, so there was room for Kendra and Seth to grow. And it showed throughout the book, especially in Seth, despite a usual impulsive decision or two. The introduction of new characters(Coulter, Tanu and Vanessa) kept the story rolling with interest, along with the mythological creatures in the previous book.

Really liking where the series is going, in general. Mull'
Mario
Dec 11, 2014 Mario rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mejor que el primero de la saga. La historia empieza tomar más forma y a verse dentro de un universo más grande que el propio libro, sin embargo, aun existen ciertos conflictos que generan gran expectativa pero al final se resuelvan de manera muy sencilla.
El final ((view spoiler)) deja la trama servida para un buen tomo 3 y para una historia más oscura y madura, toca darle una oportunidad.
Cori Reed
Looks like I'm done with Fablehaven.

I can see why people like these books - and especially the middle grade demographic they are written for - but they're just not for me. I find it too difficult to enjoy a book in which I really dislike one of the two main protagonists.

I have read and enjoyed Middle Grade books in the past, but I think I'll probably give a pass to the rest of the series.
Katrina
Feb 20, 2016 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book ! It had such great plot development , that I can say was needed since the first book was basically an introduction into this world . It was wonderful . I can easily say that it will be read again and again and again .
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret (Leven Thumps, #2)
  • Diamondback Cave (Wesley Mackey, #3)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy S ...more
More about Brandon Mull...

Fablehaven (6 books)
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)
  • Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4)
  • Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5)
  • Dragonwatch: A Fablehaven Adventure

“Running toward danger is foolhardy. ... But so is closing your eyes to it. Many perils become less dangerous once you understand their potential hazards.” 158 likes
“Hello," Newel said. "Look, Doren, we have visitors. Kendra, Seth, and ... Muriel's weirdo puppet."....Newel grabbed Seth's hand and shook it vigorously. "Congratulations. You just found yourself a secret entrance."
"So seriously," Doren said. "What's with the puppet?”
121 likes