Start by marking “Do You Think What You Think You Think?” as Want to Read:
Do You Think What You Think You Think?

Do You Think What You Think You Think?

Explore the gray areas in your gray matter?philosophical brainteasers from the bestselling author of "The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten"
Is your brain ready for a thorough philosophical health check?
The author of the international bestseller "The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten" and his fellow founding editor of "The Philosopher's Magazine" have some thought-provoking questions
Published August 1st 2007 by Plume Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Do You Think What You Think You Think?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Think What You Think You Think?

Jasmine
Dec 25, 2010 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quick and fun. I've gone through this book once before. it's cool to see how much you disagree with yourself.
J.C.
Nov 29, 2008 J.C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Nobody Ever Went Wrong Thinking About Their Own Thought Processes

"Do You Think What You Think You Think? was a nice little book with fun "thought exercises." This book was briefly discussed on a forum that I frequent, and as I've always been a fun of philosophy and thought exercises, I picked it up immediately (or as fast as the seller shipped it). Unfortunately, I don't think everyone will appreciate this book. With our dualistic and polarized thinking society, it can never hurt to learn a litt
Lua Limaverde
Quando o livro coloca o leitor em contato com o que realmente pensa sobre as coisas ou como nós podemos ser incoerentes ou contraditórios, é muito instigante, mas em alguns capítulos, sobretudo os relacionados a crença em Deus, os autores direcionam demais o leitor e aí o livro já vira uma defesa e não um autoconhecimento dirigido. Mas no geral foi divertido.
Mark Edon
Jan 20, 2013 Mark Edon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in my campaign to step outside of my skull and have a good rummage around inside it.

This book catches you out in errors of thought that you didn't know you were making - a fantastic gift to anyone who wants to get better at thinking straight. Be warned, this can be painful. But by the end I was willing myself to find more faults with my thinking.

Doubting yourself can be useful, if you can use this to make a decision now that you can't actually make that decision just yet and furth
Jim Bouchard
Jan 04, 2011 Jim Bouchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Fun! Challenging! Revealing! Frustrating!

One of my martial arts masters once told me: "Frustration is the well from which all wisdom springs." (Or some such thing!)

This book is a series of simple yet challenging exercises that will give you new insights on how you think and how you make decisions. Do these exercises honestly and you're guaranteed to learn something new about yourself.

I highly recommend this book for anyone who is serious about self-improvement and personal development a
Elizabeth Lee
This was definitely an interesting little book - some things to read, a lot of questionnaires. I'm all for anything that encourages readers to question why we believe the things we do, and whether or not our reasoning is as sound as we'd like to think it is. This was a thought-provoking read, and a few times I would have liked to argue a bit with the authors, but that is partly what they were trying to do - get me thinking critically about things.

I would recommend this to a great many people, t
Megan
Aug 18, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretty much anyone
This is a really interesting book; not so much for what it reveals about you (I assume anyone interested enough in this subject to read it already has a pretty good idea of their own ideas and opinions) but for the questions it raises about the ideas themselves.

There is a clear bias towards the logical and rational, which is interesting considering that most of the quesions it raises deal with the abstract, unanswerable kinds of questions like "what makes art good?" or "what is ethical?" However
Michael Tildsley
Apr 09, 2016 Michael Tildsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a series of philosophical self-assessments for you to see how logically you think, how much reason plays into your thinking, and how far the limits of your understanding of yourself reach in any one direction.

The findings are pretty interesting. I tested "consistent" where many people floundered or waffled. Only on a few of the quizzes did I really fall into "normal" ranges of choice.

I think this book is something anyone wanting a better understanding of the process of thinking an
Jennifer James
This is a fun little book. The subtitle is "the ultimate philosophical quiz book", and that describes it pretty well. It is full of quizzes which evaluate how logical and consistent your thinking is on topics such as ethics, one's concept of God, free will vs determinism, etc. I was surprised and pleased how logical and consistent I scored as, on many of the tests. The one thing I would have liked is some information on who the authors are and what their credentials are, to give me some sense of ...more
Aslı Can
Komik bir kitap. Testlerle düşüncelerinin tutarlılığı, ne kadar mantıklısın falan gibi şeyler ölçüyor. Testleri çözmek için kağıt-kalem falan da gerekiyor.Anlatmak istediği şey sanırım şu: o kadar emin olma! O kadar emin olma!'yı sevdiğim için kitabın fikrini güzel buldum. E-kitap olarak okuduğum için bazı testleri yapamadım. Yaptığım testlerde ne kadar çelişik bir insan olduğum ortaya çıktı ama ben bunu zaten biliyordum. :) Bir de bazı testlerde yanlış tümevarımlar vardı bence ama genel olarak ...more
Natalie
Mar 12, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. At times I disagreed with them (I am officially unethical, but I knew that I didn't always put my limited money where I felt I should...)

It was a fun little experiment though. And bonus - it came with my sister's answers. We scored very similar in some places and very different in others. Just what I'd expect. I was happy to see that we both react to things differently if it's family involved. We wouldn't turn each other in for being criminals :-)
Tescah
Mar 16, 2012 Tescah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read. It was interesting and even disconcerting to note how often we contradict our own beliefs and impose double standards without even knowing it. Definitely a good book to read if you'd like to organize your thoughts!

Some quizzes are pretty humbling though...especially the final one - what i know about philosophy isn't worth knowing...really?!

Highly recommended if you don't mind having your beliefs shaken up for a while.
Katy
Jan 15, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Labeled "The Ultimate Philosophical Handbook," this is definitely an exercise in active reading. Even if you find you don't, in fact, think what you think you think, this book will (dare I say it) make you think. More here
Shalyn
Dec 21, 2009 Shalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun with this book. It may teach only a little about philosophy, but it has the potential to teach the reader a lot about himself. There were places that I disagreed with some of the authors' assumptions, but overall I would definitely recommend the book. It's good to give the brain a workout now and then.
James
Jun 12, 2016 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an interesting combination of an introduction to philosophy and a test of what you think and how to know what it is that you think. Do you think coherently about issues like aesthetics and faith? The challenging quizzes in the book are both entertaining and educational. I would recommend this short book to anyone who is interest in mind games and self-analysis.
Matthew
Jun 01, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of fun philosophical exercises that allow you to perform a self-analysis. The book offers it's own analysis as well, so anyone who likes personality tests might enjoy this. I take issue with the scoring/interpretation in the book occasionally, but overall this was worth my time.
Dillon
Mar 15, 2013 Dillon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright book. I thought the book was going to be a great amount of explanations on how people think but it really wasnt. The book mainly consisted of little games to see how you think about certain aspects. So it was an okay book. defiantly wasnt a hard read but some of the games made no sense. If you want to read it go for it but theres better books out there for sure.
Bonnie Mueller
Turns out I'm actually thinking what my dog is thinking, not what I thought I thank. Wait.
This book was okay. Some chapters were better than others. Some chapters have me wondering the authors were thinking.
It is interesting enough to check out from your library, which is what I did.
Rob
This author is mentioned in the book "Quotable Atheists" which is, itself, a large collection of quotes from notable atheists. I'm making it a point to read these books to gain more insight into Atheism.
Dennis Hettinger
Oct 03, 2011 Dennis Hettinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough read. I picked this book up several times over the past year and a half and read a few pages. Then over the holidays, I decided to finish it. Although a bit dry at points, it is well worth the effort if you want a better understanding of why we think the way we do.
Nathan Schwartz
Dec 15, 2013 Nathan Schwartz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite philosophy books. It’s easy to think that the big questions aren’t that interesting or meaningful, but when you find inconsistencies in your own answers to simple questions, then the big philosophical questions become much more personal.
Kharm
Apr 10, 2011 Kharm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is absolutely fascinating. I highly recommend it to anyone who thinks their thoughts are logical, or if they just want to get their thoughts in order.

Now I just wish I could remember where I put it...
Paul
Jun 05, 2015 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Some good stuff in here. Not the book I expected or really wanted to read. Might be good for someone with a different set of expectations.

The final quiz was interesting. I tried it out on a professional philosopher and it led to some interesting discussion.
Nurshafiqa
this book is such a pleasure to read, and participate in. the numerous tests inside made me feel like i had gained some new perspectives on how i think i think.
:p

i did not know philosophy could be this fun.
Caroline
Interesting enough. Lots of fun little quizzes, which are much more fun if you do with a partner, as I am doing, and compare your answers. Philosophy scenarios are written at about high school level, so it isn't too dry and moves faster than the source materials.
Tylor Lovins
This is a fun little exercise in traditional philosophy, although the conclusions of the authors are largely untouched by recent developments of philosophy. I would recommend this to young people although with reservations and a lesson about surface grammar.
Derick
Mar 08, 2009 Derick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice moral philosophers
Good for people who would like a tutorial on moral and logic philosophy. It's full of games thereof.
Jeff Delisle
An interesting challenge to what we like to think of ourselves as thinking, revealed as what we must actually think, if honest logic is followed.
Jesse Winslow
Aug 04, 2010 Jesse Winslow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a collection of phun philosophical exercises, 12 to be exact. I was entertained and learned a little bit about myself in the process.
Nick
Nov 02, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Very thought provoking. Probably easier to do the various quizzes online but the accompanying text, explanations and commentary are good.
  • The Duck That Won the Lottery: and 99 Other Bad Arguments
  • Everything You Pretend to Know and Are Afraid Someone Will Ask
  • A Very Bad Wizard: Morality Behind the Curtain
  • Evil in Modern Thought: An Alternative History of Philosophy
  • Utilitarianism: For and Against
  • Free Will: A Very Short Introduction
  • Irrationality
  • How to Be an Existentialist: or How to Get Real, Get a Grip and Stop Making Excuses
  • Utilitarianism and Other Essays
  • Their Morals and Ours
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Selected Essays
  • Moral Relativism
  • Truth: A Guide
  • Among the Dead Cities: The History and Moral Legacy of the WWII Bombing of Civilians in Germany and Japan
  • An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion
  • Science & Human Values
  • Protagoras/Meno
Julian Baggini is a British philosopher and the author of several books about philosophy written for a general audience. He is the author of The Pig that Wants to be Eaten and 99 other thought experiments (2005) and is co-founder and editor of The Philosophers' Magazine. He was awarded his Ph.D. in 1996 from University College London for a thesis on the philosophy of personal identity. In addition ...more
More about Julian Baggini...