Start by marking “Bats at the Library” as Want to Read:
Bats at the Library

Bats at the Library (Bat Books)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,642 Ratings  ·  338 Reviews
Another inky evening s here " "The air is cool and calm and clear.
Can it be true? Oh, can it be?
Yes! Bat Night at the library!
"Join the free-for-all fun at the public library with these book-loving bats! Shape shadows on walls, frolic in the water fountain, and roam the book-filled halls until it s time for everyone, young and old, to settle down into the enchantment of s
Published September 8th 2008 by Harcourt Brace and Company

To ask other readers questions about Bats at the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bats at the Library

Carmen
Feb 10, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Someone leaves the window open at the local library, and the bats seize a chance to have a 'bat night at the library.'

It's hard to settle down and read
when life flits by at dizzy speed.
But storytime is just the thing
to rest a play-exhausted wing.

And if we listen, we will hear
some distant voices drawing near -
louder, louder, louder still,
they coax and pull us in, until...

everyone – old bat or pup -
has been completely swallowed up
and LIVES inside a book instead
of simply hearing something read
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Very cute! I loved the pictures of those bats! They're all excited because someone left the window open in the library and they can get in. They read the books, which they place upside down while they hang upside down, play with the computer, photocopier, water fountain, and overhead projector, and listen to stories. Brian Lies' illustrations are beautiful and filled with humor. On the first page of text, if you look carefully, the bats on the page are actually hanging upside down. My favorite p ...more
Kathryn
Apr 23, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute!!! Much to enjoy for fans of both libraries and bats. The poetic story is a nice change-of-pace from most picture books, good for read-aloud. My favorite part was when the bats go "into" the stories--bat-themed tributes to "Goodnight Moon," "Red Riding Hood," "King Arthur," "Peter Rabbit" and "Alice in Wonderland"--the bat Whinnie the Pooh is priceless!!!! ;->
L13_F Sandra
Oct 08, 2013 L13_F Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Bats at the Library is a story told in rhyme by a bat . The bats are bored until one of them hears that a window was left open at the library. The bats are very excited and do lots of fun things in the library like making shadows on the wall using an overhead projector, copying themselves on the copying machine, and of course the highlight of the night, storytime. All the bats gather around and listen to the stories being told until the sun starts to come up and they have to leave without finish ...more
J-Lynn
Bryan Lies does not disappoint with his sequel to Bats at the Beach. From the picture on the cover where a bat cradles a book like it is his prized possession, Lies shows the power of books to entrance the reader. The bats are jubilant at the chance to spend the night in the library and to find books that feed the "universe inside each head." The rhyme and heavy rhythm throughout the book adds to the mood of celebrating learning.

The acrylic illustrations capture the rich texture of dark and nigh
Lisa Vegan
Jul 19, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for reading aloud
This was a book where I wished I had someone read this to me so that I could listen and simultaneously look at the illustrations.

The rhyming story is very good.

The illustrations are marvelous, with lots of smart and amusing touches. I especially liked the “Goodnight Sun” book cover and the bat that wears glasses, but there is much to look at and enjoy.

The love of books and the ability to immerse oneself in them is communicated well.

You don’t have to be a fan of bats to appreciate this book, but
Laima
Nov 11, 2012 Laima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic children's book with rhymes and beautiful artwork.

Bats. Lots and lots of bats. They discover a window left open at the library and fly in at night when the library is closed. Inside they find wondrous things to see and do. Normally I would think that bats would be a kind of creepy subject for a kid's book but this is not a creepy book at all.

Funny thing, I found this book at the local public library. While at the check out desk the librarian told me a story of bats that lived
Rebecca
Jun 05, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Bats at the Library by Brian Lies is a super rhyming adventure that takes us through a night at the library with bats who love to read! The illustrations in this book are fabulous--there is so much to look at on each page. I love the middle section with no text and bats acting out scenes from different classic books. This book would appeal to boys and girls and really pulls them in with the wonderful rhyming story. It looks like a book I would read in the fall around October because it is night ...more
Candice
Oct 12, 2011 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book about a visit to the library - by bats!

"Then word spreads quickly from afar:
a window has been left ajar.
Can it be true? Oh, can it be?
Yes! - Bat Night at the library!
"

The bats swoop through the open library window and have an evening to remember. They read, they play with the photocopier and the water fountain, they enjoy a story time.

"And if we listen, we will hear
some distant voices drawing near -
louder, louder, louder still,
they coax and pull us in, until...
everyone - old bat or pu
Kristine Hansen
Loved this! Bats waiting for that special night, when they can explore the library! I wish I could join them, to have free rein all night long in a library...how wondrous! What I loved about this book is that it captured that feeling of excitement and discovery for kids. And the pictures are all fun and utterly perfect for this book. This is one I don't mind re-reading.
Barb
Jan 16, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I'm not the only person who loves bats and books but this book feels like it was written just for me!

I love this story about the bats sneaking into the library because a librarian left the window open. The bats are charming (as all bats are) of course, and they imagine themselves in some of the most beloved children's books.

My kids and I love the picture where the bats are making copies of themselves on the copy machine and then folding them into paper airplanes.

We borrowed this from the
Jennifer Gallman
Over the summer, I visited Austin, Texas, and every evening at dusk, people gather at a bridge near downtown to watch the bats fly out all at once. It is quite a spectacle, and among the ooos and ahhhs, you hear some children scream. Not the blood curdling, run-for-your-life scream, but the kind that is a mix of surprise and excitement. That is what Brian Lies brings with this book, a reprint of the 2010 edition.
Written and illustrated by Lies, the book details a group of bats whose nightly adve
Laurie
Sep 05, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Dixon
James borrowed this book from the library the other day but we hadn't read it till now. It's quite a cute story - a tribe, no, flock, no, colony of bats spot windows left open at the library. They've been waiting for this. They've been waiting all year. And once in they do everything that any group of people do - they read books (love the "bats in munchy moods [who] study guides to fancy foods" i.e. a book on moths and butterflies], they talk about books, they look at the computer, make shadow p ...more
Megan
The warm, richly-detailed illustrations really breathe life into this cute little story and provide a cozy atmosphere. A few of the pages reference so many classic literary works, I didn't notice all of them until I read through it a second time. There is so much going on in every scene that it's fun to just look at each one for a while and play "Where's Waldo?" with the baby bat wearing yellow swimmies.

For once, the rhymes are not dumbed down to the point of being nigh unbearable for the adults
Luann
Feb 20, 2009 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many fun details! Bats wearing reading glasses, bats studying a field guide to moths, bats playing in a pop-up gingerbread house, bats at storytime getting pulled into almost-familiar stories with bat twists - such as "Goodnight Sun" looking very much like "Goodnight Moon." If you read and liked Bats at the Beach, you need to read this one, too.
Dana
What's something someone can tell me they know about bats? I've had three bats in my house, and let me you; it's scary!

The story we're going to share was one of my favorites; it's titled Bats at the Library.

Can you imagine what would happen if we got caught in the Principal's office photocopying ourselves? [page 14 show picture] "This box is loads of fun, blasting brighter than the sun. Instead of copying books from shelves, we can duplicate ourselves! " Aren't they a bunch of naughty bats? Let'
Stefani Sloma
Oct 14, 2014 Stefani Sloma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adorable story about the love of reading and libraries. Really great illustrations (even if the bats in the story are a lot cuter than they are in real life). The last page mentions that maybe a librarian will leave a window open for the bats to visit again. As much as I enjoyed this story, I wouldn't like to get to my library in the morning to see bats everywhere. Ha!
Aimee
Oct 30, 2010 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fiction
This is a wonderful book celebrating the joy of reading and portraying the library as a fun place. I already knew I liked the author-illustrator's combination of rhyming narrative and images full of both whimsy and realistic detail, but when I got to the pages where the little bat imagines itself in classic children's stories, I was totally won over.
Jessica Gorgchuck
Bats at the Library is a picture book for children aged 4-8. The story begins with a group of bats who, feeling bored, decide to break into the library via an open window, and spend the night flying through the halls of the library, reading books, playing games, and making copies of themselves on the library's photocopier. The bats get so caught up in their fun that they don't realize that morning has come quickly, and they must vacate the library before people arrive and they are discovered.

Thi
Mary
Jun 04, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book would be for grades kindegarten to 4th grade. I love that the story rhymed. It was a very cute story and the pictures were also great. I think this would appeal to children because it is a clever story and flows really well. This book is from the Golden Sowers Award list from 2011 in the primary category.
Denise
Brian Lies shows such great creativity in this book. My youngest son, who is afraid of the dark, loved this book. The creative way that the scenes are upside down and the fun ideas of what a bat would do in a library makes this a new favorite book in our family.
Kelsey
Bats at the Library features a group of bats that fly through an open window into the local library. Young bats enjoy playing with the copy machine and the projector, which lets them make shadow puppets on the wall. The bats settle in together for story time and get lost in the book they are reading. Finally, the sun begins to rise and the bats have to leave. The book features short verses with a rhyme scheme on each page. The book would be very appropriate to use in a story time to introduce ch ...more
Molly
A window has been left open at the library, and the bats are going on a reading adventure! This would make a great storytime read, whether the theme is bats or libraries. My favorite scene features the bats in storytime, reading the book upside down.
Sarah Derosier
Oct 19, 2015 Sarah Derosier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I really thought this book was cute it's definitely a children's book and I am a 32-year-old likes reading books, yes you do the same and goodbye I loved how near the end the pictures showed from stories like Winnie the Pooh the hobbit Mr. toad and I think the features of the bats were really cute. I started picking up just more Halloween themed books from the library to read just because I thought it was something cute to do in my spare time and I was never heard of this book .but I was actuall ...more
Jen
(2008) This is a wonderfully entertaining book about a group of bored bats flying around on a dark, cool night when they discover a window ajar to their favorite place--the library! Pleased with their luck, the bats break into groups to explore. Some study guides to fancy foods and play games, while others play in the water fountain and hold story time. As dawn approaches they reluctantly leave but hope that the window will be left open again so they can have some fun. This was a wonderful story ...more
Jen H.
Cute rhyming book about the bats night in the library. Kids will enjoy.
Merry
Mar 12, 2011 Merry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another really appealing kids book, about two of my favorite things.
(NS) Lisa
The story opens with three bats clinging to a tree branch collectively sighing in boredom. The evening is still young, and they've already eaten, swooped, and soared to their hearts' content. They want to do something different, so they find an open window, excited to find that the window belongs to the local library. Though they don't get to see inside the library very often, many of the older bats look forward to this rare treat. They rush off to explore the shelves of books, while the little ...more
Stephanie Jobe
May 01, 2012 Stephanie Jobe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loaned to me by my supervising school librarian/media specialist at my field experience so I could look at her lesson plan with it (man just that sentence makes you tired). This is just too cute. I’ve read through it three times now and every time I still notice more lovable details. The little bat in the floaties made me think of… I think it was my little cousin who… wore floaties constantly for what seemed like forever. The earbuds being used as a rope, the perspective of the first full page i ...more
  • The Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians
  • The Library Dragon
  • Wild About Books
  • Library Lion
  • That Book Woman
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Dog Loves Books
  • Library Lil
  • Old Bear
  • The Library
  • Homer, the Library Cat
I was born in 1963 in Princeton, New Jersey, which back then was a quiet college town, surrounded by old farmland slowly giving way to housing developments. I spent a lot of time building dams and forts in the woods across the street with my best friend, inventing things, and writing and drawing with my older sister. At various times during my childhood, we had newts, gerbils and rabbits as pets. ...more
More about Brian Lies...