Under The Color Of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)

Under The Color Of Law (Kevin Kerney #6)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  437 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Newly-installed Santa Fe police chief Kevin Kerney receives a deadly welcome when a U.S. ambassador's ex-wife is brutally stabbed to death in her home. But before Kerney can begin to investigate, the FBI closes the case with trumped-up evidence. And the harder Kerney hunts for the truth, the more he knows that he may not survive the chase.
Published July 1st 2001 by Onyx Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Under The Color Of Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under The Color Of Law

Kellie
Michael Sump
“The Color of the Law,” by Michael McGarrity is good. McGarrity's series follows the law enforcement career of Kevin Kerney, who is the newly appointed Chief of Police of Santa Fe, NM in this novel. [Spoiler Alert] He and his wife, an army Lt. Colonel, are in over their heads as they battle corrupt army intelligence officers and rogue CIA agents. Kevin is trying to make good as the new COP in Santa Fe but here he must battle fake FBI agents, misdirection, and all the powers of the federal govern...more
Robb
Fast-paced and riveting in suspense.

This is my fourth Kevin Kerney novel and so far this surpasses the others I have read. There is so much going on in the novel it feels sometimes like an adrenaline rush . This would make a great film or TV movie. Kevin Kerney is a winner and a hero to the law enforcement community. This will not disappoint. I will probably read the entire series of books as they are that well-written. Bravo!
Jamie

This was a bit meh, I couldn't really get into it and I was glad when I got to the end.

Set in New Mexico, it does give a lot of local description but it feels like tourist information rather than a sense of being there.

I think maybe it could have been a hundred or so pages shorter, it wraps up fairly neatly but rambles a bit too much...we don't need details of every word they scribble down in a meeting.

It ends with a blatant lead into another book in the series but I don't think I'd be reading m...more
Ed
Jul 05, 2009 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action, suspense fans.
The best McGarrity I've read - very exciting with a little letdown at the end.

The story revolves around two murders that appear to be unrelated. They turn out to be involved with National Security and as the body count rises begin to look like part of a massive cover up.

There are two sub-plots. One focuses on Kevin Kerney's attempt to get off on the right foot as the new Santa Fe police chief. The other is Kerney's evolving relationship with his wife, Sara Bannon, a career army officer and newly...more
Bob
Kevin Kerney is just getting started as the new Chief of Police when the wealthy estranged wife of a former ambassador is found dead in her home. Almost before the investigation gets started the FBI and various other agencies descend on the scene and take over the investigation, leaving Kevin and his detectives pushed to the side. This does not sit well with Kevin and when what little information he gets from the FBI agents starts to contradict what he and his men have uncovered he gets increasi...more
Carol
I don't know how to review this book? There was a number of strands to the plot, maybe too many? The ending seemed rushed and Sara's role in this book was a bit contrived. However, the pace of the book was excellent, the helplessness Kerney felt in the situation and the real life way he dealt with an unwinnable situation and even the fact that everything wasn't neatly wrapped up at the end of the book, made it another enjoyable addition to this excellent series.
Lois Chamberlain
Can't wait for the next one...
Barb
i read several in this author's series about a good cop who maintains a long distance relationship with his wife in the service. good police detective reading, some personal paast relationships examined. good book for relaxing, plot not hard to follow - may not win any awards, but it offers entertainment for an insomniac
Carrie
Really enjoy the McGarrity books, he's onto a winer with this series of detective novels. However, the plot for this was a wee bit far-fetched, even though well-written. Hang on and go along for the ride, remembering it is fiction, after all.
Jmrathbone
This novel was a complete disappointment. I have read and enjoyed six of Michael McGarrity’s novels, but in this one he seemed out of his element. The only reason I finished it was because I didn’t have anything else to read.
Terry
This was a good book. Very suspenseful. Had
to drop it to a 3 star because of all the
undercover stuff. Got very confusing, with
a lot of unanswered questions at the end.
Love the series, though!
Joe O'c
Excellent; continuing character: Kevin Kerney; New Mexico police chief attempts to solve murders of diplomat's wife and Christian brother, and ends up tying them to a government conspiracy.
Sherri Vigil
I thought because of the location of this book I would really enjoy it, however, it was predictable and a bit out there for New Mexico.
I'm undecided about reading more of this series.
Mary Sue
I love a sense of place in a book and McGarrity never fails me. For those who love the range of beauty of New Mexico this is the series of books for you (Kevin Kerney mysteries)
K
Disappointing ending but otherwise, one of the most entertaining Kevin Kearney episodes I've read. Fast paced and an intriguing plot. Enjoy!
Wendell
A perfectly pedestrian police procedural. Don't be fooled by the New Mexico setting; it doesn't save this book from itself.
Jody
Looking forward to reading Mr. McGarrity's previous and future books. I couldn't put this one down.
Ryan Mishap
I actually read this one first and I always enjoy it when corrupt cops are gunned down...oops! spoiler alert!
Jan C
I lost interest in this - it started becoming kind of political.
Sue johnson
This was one of the best in the series...unmerciful non-stop action.
Gypsy Lady
Modern lawman mystery set in New Mexico.
Kelly Lawson
Not one of his best but still a good read
Denise
Dec 05, 2012 Denise rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Shelves: mystery
Nice read!
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Larry Lindley
Larry Lindley marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Sep 16, 2014
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Spirit Sickness
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
  • The Girl With Braided Hair (Wind River Reservation, #13)
  • Concrete Desert
  • Biting the Moon (Andi Oliver, #1)
  • Red, Green, or Murder (Posadas County Mystery, #7)
  • The Laws of Harmony
  • Mending the Moon
  • Keeping Counsel
Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1) Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2) Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4) Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3) Hard Country (Kerney Family, #1)