Start by marking “Angels of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Angels of Darkness

Angels of Darkness (Warhammer 40,000)

The Angels of Darkness, the God-Emperor's most dedicated servants, harbor a dark secret that stretches back to the great Horus Heresy, a time when humanity was torn apart by intergalactic civil war Now the horrific events from this era threaten to be unleashed as Interrogator-Chaplain Boreas gets caught up in the murderous plots of an enemy from the Chapter's shadowy ...more
Published February 25th 2003 by Games Workshop(uk)

To ask other readers questions about Angels of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels of Darkness

Benjamin Handelman
Nov 05, 2011 Benjamin Handelman rated it really liked it
It may be crazy to say this about a tie-in novel, but this may be the best science fiction books I've read in the last year or two. The characters were well developed and explained, and the back story of the interrogation of a heretic was expertly woven into the plot. As the novel progresses in both areas, we see an interesting story of the main character develop, a chaplain who has began to question his faith after all these years. The more the story develops and the layers of secrecy are ...more
Erik
Feb 01, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I really expected some vapid writing and poor characterization, but Gav Thorpe actually put some thought into this book. The book deals with the history of the Dark Angels and the Fallen from an unexpected, and fascinating angle. Instead of the Fallen being cookie-cutter mustache twirling villains, they actually have believable and intriguing motivations.

I hope another book in this series in in the works, because it sets itself up nicely for a sequel. Recommended especia
Matias
Apr 11, 2013 Matias rated it it was amazing
To me, this is a powerful new nominee for "the Best Warhammer 40K novel Award". It might be because I've read Descent of Angels, Fallen Angels and Ravenwing - among almost 30 other 40k novels - before it, but still, this is definitely something else.

To someone who loves secrecy, mystery, lies, n'stuff,.. this is the one for you to read (oh, and Legion of course, in that matter).

The main character in other half of the book is someone who turns your knowledge of the Dark Angels and the Imperium to
Marc
Aug 08, 2011 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed given the hype. The story was choppy (bouncing back and forth did not enhance the enjoyment), and the "big revelations" were a) not the surprising, and b) not that big. We always knew they were all traitors. It was more like a "what if" than anything definitive.
Biscuitz
Jan 05, 2014 Biscuitz rated it really liked it
A page turner for any 40k fan, its from the 40k era but in many ways is a prequel to the Heresy 30k era. If your reading the Heresy Series then you should read this.
Fabián Vaca
Jul 22, 2016 Fabián Vaca rated it really liked it
Muy bueno, me faltó algo al final, probablemente un capítulo más para responder algunas dudas planteadas durante el libro.
Rooney
Dec 01, 2016 Rooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this one. Didn't realise it followed on from Catechism of Hate (Black Library, may be a good idea to mention that somewhere on the cover notes. Or at least release them as part of the same series...), and despite how inherently unlikeable Interrogator-Chaplian Boreas is, I did warm to him by the end. And the section with Astelan talking about the Heresy were really good, especilly after reading the Horus Heresy series. Great to see the spin and variations on the same tales when told by ...more
Andrew Skywark
Oct 27, 2016 Andrew Skywark rated it really liked it
This is exactly what I like to see in a 40K book. The author understands how to write a great plot, and he didn't pad it out to 400 pages.

The truth is slowly torn from a disgraced marine, and it's great to see the progression of his excuses. At the beginning, a modern reader can empathize with his thought process. By the end, we see that this is just another show of horrors typical of the grim future.

El-jorro
Apr 27, 2016 El-jorro rated it really liked it
Isaac
Dec 21, 2015 Isaac rated it liked it
Shelves: media-tie-ins
A really great plot. This one really gets to the heart of what War40k is all about.
The theme of this book is lies. Lies with good intentions. Lies that unintentionally damn all of humanity to an endless nightmare of repeated mistakes on a galactic scale.

The ending is so grimdark that it reminded me of the ending of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. In fact, Abercrombie comes off as a slightly lesser writer in my eyes now that I realise he's really been riding the Warhammer train all along.

Th
Kris43
Jul 09, 2012 Kris43 rated it it was amazing
To those who are new to Warhammer 40k, let me try to sum-up my first impressions on what it's like.
I didn't really know what to expect from it, but i certainly didn't expect it to be like THIS!!!

Like what exactly??
-Take a bit from Templar, who are like guardians of humanity and defenders of fate,
-take a bit from Spanish inquisition who are dedicated to purging the heretics,
-take a bit from SUPER human, genetically modified and enhanced mega soldier...
Mix it all together and you get a Space mar
Andy Blake
Although far from a masterpiece, Angels of Darkness gets a good review for its interesting dual-story format and its thought-provoking look at the Fallen of the Dark Angels. The story alternates between two different timeframes, one detailing an interrogation and the other presenting a hunt for the Fallen. These two halves complement each other very well as the book progresses.

The story feels dark and coldly logical, everything punctuated by the dour, monastic character of the Dark Angels, whom
Michael T Bradley
Dec 29, 2014 Michael T Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: w40k
I find it so strange how the same man who wrote this book, just nail-bitingly intense and somewhat written as a stage play (the central, and most interesting, portions of the book consisting of two men arguing over interpretations of events), is the same man who, years later, wrote "The Purging of Kallidus," which occurs in the middle of this story. "Purging" was overall dull and plodding, with only a few bits standing out. These are, mostly, the same damn characters, yet for whatever reason, ...more
Dungeon Masters
Aug 23, 2016 Dungeon Masters rated it it was amazing
This is a great sci-fi novel set in the Warhammer 40k universe. The author does a great job of weaving between the Tale of Astelan the Fallen and Boreas the Chaplain. The Tales of Astelan is set in the past and shows the character dealing with immense torture to repent his ways and admit heresy while being interrogated by Boreas who is then shown in other chapters of the book dealing with what he learned during that interrogation and how it affects his command of his small marine chapter. As you ...more
Jim
Dealing with the history of the Dark Angels and their ten-millenia-long intense and secretive mission to cover up long-forgotten treachery, Angels of Darkness focusses not on the standard Warhammer 40,000 battles but on the internal machinations of a single chapter. The points of view expressed by, and reactions of, both the Fallen Angel and the Interrogator Chaplain should allow you to question the way the Dark Angels present themselves to the rest of the Imperium.

It should be read in conjuncti
Chris
Certainly a must-read for any serious fan/player of the "Dark Angels" Space Marine chapter, and even worth a read for other fans of Marines and the Heresy era. Thorpe manages to bypass the easy temptation to waste pages on gory combat and dives into the real philosophical meat of the setting - who are the real villains, the Emperor or the Heretics? (Or, as it is here, the Dark Angels or the Fallen?) If this novel didn't rely on long, protracted, and unnatural conversations in an interrogation ...more
Adrian Gabura
Jul 07, 2015 Adrian Gabura rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer
Choppy, bouncing back and forth, uninspired, wanders away from the "lore", these are but a few of the remarks I read on forums and not only there. I can assure you though, potential reader, these are but insidious heresies perpetrated by ignorant people. It's a remarkably fresh novel, which lets you glimpse a thoughtful and talented writer. Wanders away from the lore, ha! What a lie. The book has a bit too much of a high profile to have escaped the unwavering gaze of the Black Library Lords. ...more
Alexander Draganov
Feb 20, 2015 Alexander Draganov rated it it was amazing
Another five star read from my favorite author Gav Thorpe. It is about the notorius Space Marines from Warhammer 40,000, but if you expect a simple action story, run away fast. This book is about the uncertainty of faith, about what makes a heresy and the shades of twilight between light and dark, which we all are.
In short, it is brilliant ;)
Rego Hemia
Jun 12, 2008 Rego Hemia rated it liked it
A great demonstration of the forces of Chaos at work: subversion, corruption, and insurgency in a hive, the ultimate guerrilla warfare tactics of a stranded Chaos Space Marine.
Very cool stuff.
And as always with WH40K, the baroque style to everything makes it possible, and sometimes preferable, to reach the book in rich, bite sized pieces.
Justin
Apr 25, 2007 Justin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: warhammer
From what I've seen, this book is fairly reviled amongst the warhammer scene because it strays from established cannon. I think it's brilliant because the anger and denial the fans expressed is exactly what a Dark Angel expresses when he learns the (other) secrets of his chapter.
Michael O'Leary
Oct 20, 2015 Michael O'Leary rated it really liked it
An ending I did not expect, and a story I thoroughly enjoyed. The switch between the two narratives really gives you insight into the DAs and their flaws. Well written and enjoyable. Now for Ravenwing!
Phil
Jun 27, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it
Should be a part of the flagship Hersey series. Makes descent of angels and fallen angels better books.
Jon
May 26, 2007 Jon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Warhammer 40,000 fans
One the best WH40K books out there. Many fans didn't think so. It portrays the Dark Angels as sordid and possibly corrupt. Not in line with with the popular view of the Angels.
William
Nov 03, 2015 William rated it really liked it
I thought it was a fun way to introduce the lore of the Dark Angels to an audience interested in 40K lore.
Brian Turner
Sep 09, 2014 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Reveals some of the secrets behind the Dark Angels chapter of the Space Marines.
Good action scenes, and some interesting twists to the story
Nick Valiando
Nick Valiando rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Leonard Sialeipata
Leonard Sialeipata rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Plagosus
Plagosus rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Taylor Foreman-niko
Taylor Foreman-niko rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
  • Storm of Iron
  • Salamander
  • Dark Apostle
  • Soul Hunter
  • Lord of the Night
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • Faith and Fire
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
  • Brothers of the Snake
  • Sons of Dorn
  • Victories of the Space Marines
  • Wolf's Honour
  • Battle of the Fang
  • Emperor's Mercy
Gav spent 14 years as a developer for Games Workshop, and started writing novels and short stories in the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 when the Black Library imprint was launched in 1997.

He continues to write for Black Library, and his first 'homegrown' novel series The Crown of the Blood has been released via Angry Robot.

Currently living in Nottingham, Gav shares his home with his lo
More about Gav Thorpe...

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 869 books)
  • Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1)
  • False Gods
  • Legion
  • Battle for the Abyss
  • Mechanicum
  • Tales of Heresy

“There is a very simple reason why Lion El'Jonson did not take part in the final battles of the Horus Heresy. It is beautifully simple, when you consider it. He was waiting.'
'Waiting for what?' Boreas asked quietly.
'He was waiting to see which side won, of course.”
7 likes