Start by marking “I Just Want My Pants Back” as Want to Read:
I Just Want My Pants Back

I Just Want My Pants Back

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,163 ratings  ·  184 reviews
Now a new MTV series, from acclaimed director and executive producer Doug Liman (“Mr. and Mrs. Smith, “Swingers,” “Go,” “Bourne Identity”)

Jason Strider is a twentysomething young man in the city, with an English degree from an Ivy League university, a very small apartment in the West Village, a vapid job as a receptionist at a casting agency—and no particular idea what to
Published August 7th 2007 by Broadway (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Just Want My Pants Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Just Want My Pants Back

kira
This book is like a king-size Hershey bar with almonds: I devoured the whole thing in one sitting, even though by the end it wasn't doing much good for me -- but I just had to keep going. A guilty pleasure. Emphasis on the guilt. About on par with sitting around watching a Real World marathon on a Sunday afternoon... addictive and enjoyable, voyeuristic, requires very little thought, ultimately unproductive.
Jules Vilmur
Actually, it feels wrong to say that I read this book, when what i actually did was read three pages and then toss it into the to-be-returned-to-the-library pile. And it's simple, really. You see, life is too short to read books by men who have bestowed pet names and alternate personalities upon to their genitals by page three.
Kyli
My favorite part of this book was when the main character got thrown out of a bar and landed on the ground, in pain.

I don't even know how I got through this - I just kept waiting for there to be some humor or depth or meaning or ANYTHING, but there never was. I don't know why I expected much from a book with this title. The back of the book says "A seriocomic romp about a young man in the city in search of love, meaning, a good time, and a missing pair of pants." The thing is he's NEVER looking
C
This is Sex and the City written by a guy. I think I was expecting more. He did so much drinking and drugs throughout the book, I think I blacked out and can't remember any of the good parts. I thought the book would be more fun and centered around trying to find his favorite pants, but it came up once in awhile he wanted his pants. The book really should have been titled, "I want my buzz back" because 90% of the book was him getting drunk and doing drugs.
Caris
Let me start by saying that I wanted to like this book. The description made it look like a more updated incarnation of McInerney's "Bright Lights, Big City." It looked like it would be amusing and interesting.

Unfortunately, it was neither. Another reviewer hit the nail on the head when he said that Broadway Books was setting the bar low. This was my thought exactly. I'm going to take all of my elementary school book reports, staple them together and mail them to Broadway Books for publication.
Will
Here is a very funny first novel -- a standard wise-ass in NY coming-of-age novel that is severely up to date. The characters text each other rather than calling, they read Pitchfork, they download all their music. So -- it could be insufferable or it could be great.

After 100 pages, I tired on the main character's Avenue A bar-hopping and spoiled-kid slacking, even though (because?) the author was obviously setting me up for a revelatory Big Ending. It comes, just as expected and with few surpri
Hobart
This is a Coming of Age novel by a would-be Nick Hornby. Frequently amusing, but fairly paint-by-numbers. There's virtually no plot point that couldn't be predicted the instant a character is introduced.

There are plenty of fun turns of phrase, and Rosen definitely has a knack for this thing--I just hope that next time out the story is as good as the writer telling it.
Erin
this book was well reviewed, but kind of sucked. it was filled with gratuitous sex, unnecessary drinking, a bar room brawl... not the best.
DenaliViewer-2003
In a word … adolescent! While it did discuss getting his pants back a few times, it was mostly a monotonous ongoing description of him getting stoned on anything, high on pot, WAY too drunk (complete with the disgusting after-shock when one’s body must expel the poison all over the place—including graphic descriptions), and his ongoing attempts to get laid. Yes, I can relate to some of his experiences from my younger days, but really just didn’t find it that entertaining.

He would gladly skip doi
Liz
"I just want my pants back" The book looked to be humorous, so I added it to my new pile at the local library. As the saying goes, 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' proved to be correct. I found it pretty disgusting to tell the truth. The main character is a douche and if I ever met someone like that I'd throw me drink in his face.
From the book description it suggested "the shallow hero matures and makes readers care what happens" No no no. I don't care. the guy remains shallow and a douche an
Susie
Nov 27, 2014 Susie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to ask the following question but apparently the "Question" feature allows for only up to 421 characters. FIguring it 'character building" for me to edit myself (still trying to channel my inner Hemingway) - but even that didn't make it short enough, so i'll put it here and see if anyone else has read it and can comment on it. tx [s]

I saw an interview with David Rose on The Daily Show and while looking for his books, I came across David Rosen. I went from thinking "ooh, 'Bright Lights,
Fran
Jan 30, 2008 Fran rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who likes young hipster narrators.
i bought this book because of the title and cover. it's okay - narrated by this 20something dude that is trying to figure out what the hell to do with his life. he drinks too much, smokes too much, and has sexual relations with his fair share of weirdos. talks a lot about his penis, which is sort of weird - but the author has a fun, young, cynical voice. i'll definitely finish it.
Kristie Lanzotti
Sep 01, 2007 Kristie Lanzotti rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: guys, 20 somethings,
Interesting to get the guys point of view, brought me back to those days after college when the question of "what I wanted to do with my life" was still very elusive. The book really described what it is like to live in New York and be young, single and sometimes (often) clueless. Fabulous music references!
Michael Edwards
I find it amazing how books like these slip through the process and become published. It was written to be bland unimaginably, unreasonably boring and highly uninspiring. Style aside, the content itself was nauseating and sometimes downright pointless. Why, why, oh why, would anyone enjoy this book?
Diana
this was wicked good fun, kinda like sex in the city but from a dude's point of view - definitely vivid imagery of new york city (and other things...) throughout. I so heart this book and may or may not want to marry the author.
Easily read in one sitting...I picked it up because it was free, but it's so funny, it's worth buying. The main guy is Holden Caufieldesque, and brings charm & humor to the post college years limbo
eb
NYC-dweller gets high, drunk, and laid. Passably entertaining lad lit for a long plane ride home from LA.
Allie
Sep 21, 2007 Allie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book is fuck-funny!!! It's Stephen Colbert wit with a 20something edge.
Allison
Aug 21, 2007 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes!
this was funny. i giggled a lot. out loud. on the subway.
meredith
fun smart and sexy
Les
The pants only play a minor role in the story, although I won't give away what happens with them. It is mostly the saga of an Ivy League grad who hasn't figured out what he wants to do with his life yet. So he works at a 3rd rate casting agency and spends his spare time drinking, drugging, puking, and trying to find women for "Lil' Petey." Things are marginally better by the end of the book, as he manages to follow through on a couple of things his friends were doubting he'd be able to.

The best
Bill
Oh, David Rosen. You had so much promise in this book.

Hipster-tinged "guy lit" like this is usually my kryptonite. I was so impressed when I first read the book, I read the opening paragraph to pretty much any of my friends who'd listen. Then I kept reading, and kept waiting for something of any substance to occur.

I finished the book four days ago, and I'm still waiting for that something of substance to magically appear and jump out of the pages of the now-shut book sitting on my bookshelf. H
Allie
After reading several very long and very heavy novels, this book was a nice refreshing break. The protagonist was a realistic 20-something who is still trying to figure out what it's all about and where he should be going. While reading it, he could have represented any number of my friends or even myself. I think that the author's creative use of the lost pants throughout the book served as a good reminder that the protagonist himself was completely lost and desperately clinging to whatever he ...more
Stephanie
For my birthday we, a bunch of my friends and I, went out to eat in Springfield, and because it was my birthday we ended our lovely dinner of various fondues with a trip to the bookstore; Barnes and Noble to be exact. The husband took the kiddo to the play area (sometimes he can be nice and thoughtful) and I spent some quality time amongst the shelves. Of all the books that caught my eye that evening I Just Want My Pants Back caught my attention the most. I found a comfy seat and started reading ...more
John
"I Just Want My Pants Back" furiously winks and nods and rams tongue in cheek, demanding you laugh along with snide, snarky protagonist Dave, no matter how big a jerk he acts. And you might, a little. But you might also wonder: Why the hell, again, am I supposed to care about this guy?

Instead of hiding any of Jason’s emotions or frustrations, the author spills them all, the curse of first person striking again. Nothing is left to interpretation, and he doesn't even do anything reprehensible, unl
liz
I was hoping that this would be more of a fun, funny, detective-ish novel; instead, it was more about a quarter-life crisis. The characters were pretty realistic... but when I already talk like these people and do a lot of the same things they do (just fewer drugs), why do I really need to read a book about it?

Things were changing. Maybe it was because Eric was older, but Stacey was really into acting grown-up and hosting the kind of dinner parties where the cutlery matched and you sipped (never
Tara Thai
Another of my quickie buy at the airport.

The book was ok.
It’s the story of Jason, a jewish guy living in NYC. He parties a lot, hopes to get laid (despite what he may think, he seems to get luckier than most people at that!), and doesn’t plan much for the future.

Jason holds an easy job he doesn’t like…but it pays the bills and the bar tabs, and in Jason’s mind that’s good enough.
He lives paycheck by paycheck and day by day, and so do his friends. At least for a while.
Then real life takes over an
Erin (*is in a reviewing slump*)
Interesting drama, quite funny, but the theme and morality of the story was deep and serious.Rosen's debut novel involves a young man on his own in the big city, not ready for a relationship but still desiring female companionship and the accompanying perks. He has big dreams of improving his career - just later, right now trying to ward off hangovers and make his time to work every day at a casting agency, his "temporary" place of employment. Surrounded by close friends and sweet neighbors, Jas ...more
Kerri
When I was in high school, I picked up Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding, and eventually went on a chick lit binge. My day was not complete unless it was satisfied by Red Ink Press. When I pick up one of these titles now, I can't stand the whiney voice that these typical characters portray and I curse the authors off here on good reads. But I now present to you I Just Want My Pants Back by David J. Rosen. Here is the guys version of being single in the city.

This is a guy's book. Its filled
  • First Kiss (Bridesmaid Chronicles, #2)
  • I Went to Vassar for This?
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Further Adventures: A Novel
  • Raising Jake
  • Hades
  • About Schmidt (Schmidt, #1)
  • Lickin' License
  • Chasers
  • Devour (Institut Scientifique, #1)
  • Brooklyn Was Mine
  • 24 Declassified: Collateral Damage
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
  • Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Confidence Game: How Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street's Bluff
What's That Job and How the Hell Do I Get It?: The Inside Scoop on More Than 50 Cool Jobs from People Who Actually Have Them Driver Education for the Information Superhighway

“The most important things in life happen when you’re just hanging out.” 5 likes
“This was a side effect of partying that my friends and I called “The Fear.” Mild paranoia was just a touch of The Fear, hardly worth bothering with; a full dose really came the morning after, a bottomless pit of regret and shame fueled by drugs, alcohol, lack of sleep, and the insidious feeling that you had somehow just fucked up monumentally. I had learned to live with The Fear, but we were not very good roommates and I believed he was using my toothbrush.” 2 likes