Start by marking “Funky Business: El Talento Mueve al Capital” as Want to Read:
Funky Business: El Talento Mueve al Capital

Funky Business: El Talento Mueve al Capital

Oh dear. A book called Funky Business by two Swedish academics. At first glance, it has all the allure of Benny and Bjorn's (from Abba) sadly never-released concept album about life as a middle manger in a multinational conglomerate. There is something earnestly hip about the way Kjell Nordström and Jonas Ridderstråle of the Stockholm School of Economics present themselves ...more
Published October 28th 2000 by Prentice Hall (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Funky Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funky Business

Bogdan
Mar 12, 2010 Bogdan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book is not taking any step forward from the line of "management and business" books promoted in US. For me it just another one from the series of Alvin Tofler, Stephen Covey, Denis Rivers and others. It is just a mix of known facts, but presented systemically, lots of quotes and "evidence" supporting one main idea.
I cannot say I totally agree their argumentation, but perhaps it is just the fact that I come from a different culture. Indeed the world has changed in the last 300 years dramati
Alexandra
Mar 03, 2011 Alexandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Left this one somewhere halfway through and am not planning on going back. Either it was my translation, or ...
Kiersten
Apr 02, 2009 Kiersten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Started it, didn't finish it--couldn't get into it.
Ilona
Jan 09, 2016 Ilona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you are a younger reader, you might hardly understand why this book was so popular back in the day. Here are some examples for you which might correlate to possible experiences for you today and in the future:
- The authors are as excited as you will be when you will have the first all-included trip to a skiing resort on Mars.
- The authors are as enthusiastic as you will be during your first hologram "call" (probably there will be another name for this).
- The authors are using word "Funky" so
TarasProkopyuk
Название книги отпугивало, считал что это очередная попсовая книга, которая наполненная низкосортным материалом, но ошибся.

Оказалось классная и очень хорошая книга. Авторы очень хорошо систематизировали новые тенденции в бизнесе и на мировом рынке, чётко показали потребительские направленности, стирание множеств ценностей и границ как и у людей, так и у сотрудников самих компаний, а также переориентацию и смену ориентиров последних.

Только тот кто поймёт, что именно изменилось, насколько и куда в
Nenad
Oct 28, 2008 Nenad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I may be a bit too hush but the book is, in many ways, like reading one of those believe in yourself cheap psychology books.

it's pop economics.

Nevertheless it makes some valid points, though do not expect an eye-opener.

The problem for me, maybe was that I expected much more due to the hype around the book and the authors - it was a bit of a let down.
Serge
Apr 03, 2011 Serge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
прошло больше 10 лет, а бизнес не стал таким как пишут эти ребята. По крайней мере в России. Тем ценнее почин отдельных компании быть не такими как все, быть лучше, веселее, изобретательнее и свободней. Спасибо им за то, что они пытаются менять реальность! Мне повезло, я знаю таких ребят!
Joe Raimondo
I saw Nordstrom speak at a conference -- very insightful. Everyone needs to create temporary monopolies.
Natasa Tovornik
Aug 03, 2011 Natasa Tovornik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, society
I guess it is true what the authors write at the beginning - this book is not gonna tell you what to think, it is going to make you think.

A classic to star thinking differently.
Alberto
Jun 02, 2008 Alberto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great book for entrepreneurs, but you must consider the context it was written at (before the whole dot-com boom), so it's outdated but the core idea is valid and enthusiastic.
Matthew Poyiadgi
This is the best book I read in 2007 - hugley inspirational and a pleasure to read.
Tania
Aug 07, 2008 Tania rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
over use of the word 'funky'.
Narek Manukyan
Rather interesting in its time-frame though also rather long and twisting (the first 150+ pages could be summed up in about 50 max).
Dasha Vakhina
First I read this book in the first year of the business school and was excited about the new for me corporate world and business future. But the flow of ideas was too wide, so I couldn't get any clear conclusion from it. The I decided to read (actually to listen on my way to work) the book again upon my graduation...and after four years of university and some work experience I see these guys (btw I think they are really interesting and inspiring professors) mostly as theoretics. Their view of t ...more
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 Franco Arda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the funky (business) world we are living in. All three books written by the authors are such a pleasure to read ... so informative ... unconvential ... and non-conform. The reader will take many notes about funky business is truly global, working values, globally linked society, senseless supply, deregulated life, tribalisation, innovation etc. We live in a winner takes all world where normal = nothing. It's funky out there, very funky.

PS; This book is an up-dated version of t
Olena Pravylo
Jan 06, 2017 Olena Pravylo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[e] You need to read it to know more about the world we have now. This book explaining the new models of workflow and actually it was not like this too much in a time book was created, but now is our reality - project based processes. Less and less classical office work for new startups and for big corporations.

[u] Вам треба її прочитати для того щоб ще більше зрозуміти світ в якому ми тепер живемо. Ця книжка пояснює моделі бізнес процесів, які базуються на проектній діяльності. У момент коли к
Luka
Nov 04, 2012 Luka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't expect for it to reveal "hidden secrets you never new before in your life!!!", but it will sum up the today's world in such a lucid manner, being very clear about everything it touches - cutting right through the bullshit :)

It's funny that this book is from 2002, with ideas that 90 percent of your surroundings STILL don't understand and live by. You'll feel that especially if you have any contact with companies.

So get the hell OUT of that nursing home community and just read this.
Cosmin Cosma
Sep 08, 2013 Cosmin Cosma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Good reading, enjoyable! But it lacks the practical side. Apart from a description of the nowadays way of doing business, written in a fancy postmodern style, no uses for learning something really applicable.
Peter Hutchinson
Sep 11, 2013 Peter Hutchinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: open-mind
This book was very enjoyable to read. I had similar thoughts to theirs so I was very pleased to see my thoughts come to life in someone else's book. It confirmed many things I thought about. I read it again and underlined points I learnt. Very good book.
Maksim
Nov 25, 2015 Maksim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Простая, главы короткие, читаеться легко. Тем не менее много интересных идей, мыслей по поводу организации работы, инновациях. Некоторые цитаты все же записал. Рекомендую тем кто не любит тяжелую литературу, так как книга явно написана простым языком. Но опять же довольно поверхностно.
Angel Serrano
En el apogeo de la economía digital, Suecia está en el centro de Europa. Dos profesores de economía filosofan sobre los cambios culturales y empresariales de esta nueva época: el funky! El talento al poder!
Francis
May 28, 2014 Francis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A good book in its time. But it speaks about the unavoidable and constant change, so 14 years later it must be for definition obsolete. Anyway you can get some inetersting ideas from it.
Dartsya
Dec 02, 2015 Dartsya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Довольно забавная книга, хотя жутковато понимать, что её написали всего-то лет 7 назад, а половина уже сбылась. В общем-то заставляет мыслить глобальнее:)
Yevgeniya
Is lost among hundreds of similar books
Yagolin
Jun 08, 2008 Yagolin rated it liked it
A estas alturas un libro un poco desfasado ya que se basa demasiado en la situación de ese momento. Pre web 2.0
Fredrik Stenbeck
A classic of it's time.
Sergei
Aug 15, 2014 Sergei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visionary and still relevant. Must read for the future minded.
Adrian
Feb 12, 2013 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very interesting book, that helps you see and discover more about you, about how talent and an open mind can be used to climb the ladder of success.
Vlad Kitaynik
Jul 06, 2014 Vlad Kitaynik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книга о том как пиздато быть талантливым и умным
Raz
Sep 24, 2012 Raz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La normalidad no conduce a ninguna parte.
  • Funky Business Forever: How To Enjoy Capitalism
  • Making Strategy Work: Leading Effective Execution and Change
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Netocracy: The New Power Elite and Life After Capitalism
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • The Conversation Manager: The Power of the Modern Consumer/The End of the Traditional Advertiser
  • Everything Is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time
  • Goal Setting: 13 Secrets of World Class Achievers
  • Het weekend van 7 dagen
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters
  • How to Think Like Einstein: Simple Ways to Break the Rules and Discover Your Hidden Genius
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders