Start by marking “Evangelical Theology: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Evangelical Theology: An Introduction

Evangelical Theology: An Introduction

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  27 reviews
###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################
Published (first published November 30th 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Evangelical Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evangelical Theology

James
I would love to call myself a Barthian. I love people of his school: Yoder (though I have qualms about his sexual-predator-tendencies), Hauerwas, Willimon, Webster, McCormack, Hart. I also once participated in a reading group that took a slow (50 pages a week) reading of the Dogmatics. However I feel like I haven't read enough Barth to really call myself a Barthian. However I have imbibed his suspicion of subjective religion and Christo-centric theology.

This is a good, if rambling book, which e
Chris Clark
Recently I had the interest in reading Barth, so I attempted his Church Dogmatics. After a failed attempt to understand his writing, a friend recommended starting with Evangelical Theology...and a great recommendation it was!

This book was a great reminder of what the goal of theology is and who it is about. Barth does a great job of reminding us of the active living God, the Jesus who is always on the move, lest we confine him to static human laws, principles, and ideas. I think it's such a poi
Nathan Moore
4.5 stars. I've never read anything like Barth. He is profound, lyrical, precise. Every sentence matters. This book has had a notable impact on my understanding of life and the practice of Christian ministry. God used Barth to help breath a fresh air of humility, seriousness, caution, and devotion into all of my theological thoughts. This is the best book I've read all year. It felt as if all oh his thoughts were original or at least fresh. I especially benefited from his chapters on Temptation, ...more
Adam Shields
Short review: this is a relatively short, dense and interesting series of lectures of what is means to be a theologian from one of the most important theologians of the 20th century. I am sure I missed more than I got because it very dense (and I listened to it). I plan on reading it again in print form later.

I do think it is important to actually read theologians, not just read what other people say about them. Many people will have heard of Karl Barth but very few will have actually read him.

M
Jim Johnson
First and foremost, this was incredibly boring. I was expecting a very straightforward explanation of theology for evangelicals and I got a lot of redundant, unfounded theorizing. From a literary perspective, I did not appreciate the personification of theology (as if "theology" could think or plan or feel anything). It was almost insulting.

Also, (and I realize the author was discussing evangelical Christian theology, specifically) the insistence that there is a god and the Bible is His Holy wor
Joshua
At many times while reading this book, I felt lost. The book was far less structured than I am used to, and it is really more an introduction to the importance and method of theology, rather than an introduction to specific theological concepts (christology, soteriology, anthropology, etc.). So perhaps Barth and I missed each other because of my incorrect assumptions about what I'd be reading. Perhaps it's also due to the fact that these lectures are a distillation of his however-many-volume Chu ...more
Doug Browne
Don't confuse "evangelical" as Barth uses the term, meaning having to do with the Good News and the Bible, with "evangelical" as many modern people use the term, meaning a particular political and theological worldview. You will be disappointed if you do.
Barth is concerned with the theology that comes from meeting the God who is present in the witness of the Scriptures, and from relationship with that God, as opposed to the various gods we make for ourselves.
Ben De Bono
The descriptor "must-read" is perhaps overused (including by me) when it comes to books, but in this case it absolutely applies. This is one of the most powerful, profound and practical pieces of theological writing I've come across. Barth achieves the rare quality of writing material that is highly applicable to the novice theologian, the pastor, the student, the highly experienced theologian and everyone in between. Especially valuable are his sections on what it means to be a theologian and t ...more
Hans
Not really that interesting or special, had no real take away. Perhaps it would be fine for someone JUST getting into theology from a Reformed/Evangelical/Protestant perspective.
Nathan
"Theology" has become something of a dirty word in today's user-friendly, seeker-sensitive, feel-don't-rationalize age. Barth's theology, though, is nearly an anti-theology; not a box for your thinking, but a springboard for your imagination. He doesn't fudge the fundamentals (thank goodness) but he presents them in a way that is at once functionally practical and aesthetically beautiful. And it is beautiful, this theo-logos, because its Aim and Object is the primogenitor of beauty. This is the ...more
Jenn Cavanaugh
Sep 26, 2007 Jenn Cavanaugh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: theologians - that means you
Theology is primarily an exercise in NOT knowing everything. The only way to become an expert on God is to domesticate and miniaturize God, in which case we're no longer talking about God. Humility, diligence and perseverance are the virtues the theologian seeks to cultivate. The entire enterprise is based on faith, hope, love and the Spirit - none of which is ours to command. Just as it requires thinking like a hero to be a decent human being, it requires thinking like a theologian to live like ...more
Stephen Morrison
Great primer into the thought of Barth.
Christopher Smith
Deep and potent. This was my first foray into Barth and as a former professor of mine encouraged me as I began, "it seeps more than it splashes." Often I found myself reading over a passage several times to allow the density of the thought to filter through my somewhat hard head. No doubt the best parts of the book will be determined by where the reader is in their journey of theological reflection and study but for my money chapters 4, 7 10 and 13 are the best in their respective sections.
Kara Slade
I love Karl Barth. Love, love, love him. But, I'll have to say, I love the later Barth a little bit less than the early, _Epistle to the Romans_ crisis-theology Barth. Out of everything we read in my Barth seminar, this was definitely my least favorite. That being said, it's still better than 95% of other 20th century theology.
Edward Cooper
In his final lecture on "Love," Barth, in his own words, plus a short quote from Luther, sums up what this work meant to me.

Barth writes, "And since he is our Sovereign Lord, what Luther said about the Word of God holds true for Agape. It is 'a passing thunderstorm' that bursts at one moment here and at a other moment elsewhere."

Brad
I wouldn't follow KB in all his conclusions, but we do agree on one thing, theology is serious business. This book explains why, and coming from "the greatest theologian of the twentieth century" it ought to be considered. I seldom give 5 stars to a book, but this one deserves it.
Katherine francis
So far this book has said a lot of what I already know and believe but in the most abstract, philosophical, and wordy way possible-on earth. Until I start reading more theology. But you know, I have to know my Karl before I can go to Princeton Theological Seminary.
Andrew
Central theme of knowing God in Jesus Christ. Barth is very strong in his Christology which comes through in these lectures. This book has given me a good 'taste' of Barth before I work my way through his church dogmatics.
Mike (the Paladin)
I have to move this back to the 'to be read" list as I barely started it at all and it has to go back to the library...will have to get it back.
Joe Spencer
This book is almost (emphasis on almost) a somewhat more sophisticated version of Lewis' _Mere Christianity_.
Chris
A generous and reflection on Christian faith and theological inquiry.
Scott Wison
fantastic, worth doing history check on this guy amazing stuff
Tj Lawson
I will have to reread this. It is thick, but very rich.
Joe Eason
Great to re-read as always.
Perry
I'm not sure how much of this I understood when I first read it, but I'm grateful for being introduced to Barth. His thoughts on faith and the Word of God being unassailable are foundational for me now.
i!
i! marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Seth Hein
Seth Hein marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Sinclair Wong
Sinclair Wong marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • The Hauerwas Reader
  • The Nature of Doctrine
  • The Christian Tradition 3: The Growth of Medieval Theology 600-1300
  • The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New CreationA Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethic
  • The Gospel in a Pluralist Society
  • The Crucified God: The Cross of Christ as the Foundation and Criticism of Christian Theology
  • Basic Theological Writings
  • Justification: God's Plan & Paul's Vision
  • Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire
  • For the Life of the World: Sacraments and Orthodoxy
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • Exclusion & Embrace: A Theological Exploration of Identity, Otherness, and Reconciliation
  • The Politics of Jesus: Vicit Agnus Noster
  • The Trinity
  • Introducing Radical Orthodoxy: Mapping a Post-Secular Theology
  • 20th-Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age
  • Theology and Social Theory: Beyond Secular Reason
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament
Karl Barth (pronounced "bart") was a Swiss Reformed theologian whom critics hold to be among the most important Christian thinkers of the 20th century; Pope Pius XII described him as the most important theologian since Thomas Aquinas. Beginning with his experience as a pastor, he rejected his training in the predominant liberal theology typical of 19th-century Protestantism, especially German.

Inst
More about Karl Barth...
Dogmatics in Outline The Epistle to the Romans The Humanity of God Church Dogmatics, 14 Vols Church Dogmatics 1,1 The Doctrine of the Word of God

“Prayer without study would be empty. Study without prayer would be blind.” 35 likes
“Evangelical theology is modest theology, because it is determined to be so by its object, that is, by him who is its subject.” 1 likes