Start by marking “The Cruise of the Cachalot” as Want to Read:
The Cruise of the Cachalot

The Cruise of the Cachalot

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published May 20th 2009 by BiblioLife (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about The Cruise of the Cachalot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cruise of the Cachalot

Lora Shouse
Aug 01, 2015 Lora Shouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book about whaling in the late 1800's. It purports to be the author's actual experiences aboard a whaling ship hunting primarily sperm whales. I see some people regard it as primarily a work of fiction, but it is more of a description, of where they went, how the work was done, how the ship handled (evidently an outstanding little boat!), what it was like catching the whales and getting the oil out of them, along with brief descriptions of some of his fellow sailors.

This was an easy book
Gerold Whittaker
An interesting book based on the author's experience on a whaler during the age of sail. He is quite detailed in how the whale is hunted after first sighting and then how the oil / spermaceti is extracted.

The book was written in 1897 and the use of old English words and phrases made it a little difficult to read. The author's attempt to translate English accents into the text made certain passages almost unreadable (well, at least to me any way). Here is an example extracted from Chapter VIII:

"S
Sian Hamer
Very interesting read, I enjoyed it. I'd warn other readers not to take all the incidents as true! Although the author attempts to keep his story interesting and not repetitive, and he's quite aware of his amateur style, I found it a bit of an arduous read towards the end as there is no structure or plot (of course!). Still a valuable account, I'd recommend to all Age of Sail whaling enthusiasts.
G.L. Tysk
Oct 19, 2012 G.L. Tysk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whaling
Frank Bullen's account of a whaling voyage in the Pacific in the late 1800s is one of the whaling classics and a great look at life in the South Pacific at the end of the 19th century. I have to add a note here that most historians regard Bullen's story more as a work of embellished fiction than an actual straight account of his travels (think of Melville's "Typee") but there's no doubt that everything that Bullen experienced while whaling on a Yankee ship provided the foundation for his writing ...more
Ram
Sep 20, 2012 Ram rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very interesting book.
I read it after reading "In the heart of the sea" and it gave me more "first hand" information about the whaling industry. The descriptions and the authentic narrative facinated me.
Brian
Jan 31, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good narrative about life aboard a whaling ship in the late 1800s. Full of detailed information on how whalers went about their business. Not for the squeamish!
Monica Perez
I loved this book. It was written in verbose victorian prose so was a tad hard to get the rhythm at first but what a tale! A nice find on one of my favorite subjects.
William A. Simms
William A. Simms rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Daeva
Daeva added it
Aug 05, 2016
Stanley M
Stanley M marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Gm Lauer
Gm Lauer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Sara Scovill
Sara Scovill marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Mark Rudolph
Mark Rudolph rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Robert Springate
Robert Springate rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Robert Springate
Robert Springate rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Zerolll
Zerolll rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Kurt
Kurt rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Chun
Chun marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Rob Round
Rob Round rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Tom Dupin
Tom Dupin rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
hypermushgattoi
hypermushgattoi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
M. Ryan
M. Ryan rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Frank Thomas Bullen (1857–1915), British author and novelist, was born of poor parents in Paddington, London, on 5 April 1857. At the age of 9 he left school and took up work as an errand boy. He led a roving and adventurous life, and many of the most thrilling episodes in his books were records of his own experiences. After various adventures on shore he went to sea in 1869, and for some years ro ...more
More about Frank T. Bullen...