Start by marking “That's the Way I See It” as Want to Read:
That's the Way I See It

That's the Way I See It

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  6 reviews
"THAT'S THE WAY I SEE IT," the second volume in David Hockney's impassioned autobiography, received a chorus of accolades when it was first published in 1993. Now his insightful and engaging autobiography is available for the first time in a stunning paperbook edition. Perhaps the most critically acclaimed and universally popular artist of our time, Hockney has devoted him ...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Thames & Hudson (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about That's the Way I See It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's the Way I See It

David Hockney is so brilliant - his work transcents pretty much everything. It is clever, humorous, well crafted, thought provoking and honest. Plus just gorgeous to look at. And I'll admit, I mostly looked at the pictures, but the text I read was just as enlightening. I will tuck in over the winter months with this one and a sketchbook and make all sorts of notes.
Mike Schultz
Feb 26, 2008 Mike Schultz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mike Anderson
Reading this book is like having the hyper smart younger version of your kindly grandfather tell you why it is OK to enjoy making the work you make.
Apr 01, 2011 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
I like the paintings of David Hockney. It's interesting to read is take on art and art history. It sure beats a dry textbook!
TQ-tip Shandy
Changed the way I understand art; for the Better! Love this man. Thanks David!
Harry Chandler
Very smart, insightful and inspiring.
John P
John P added it
Nov 01, 2015
Danii Moncayo
Danii Moncayo marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Simon Hamlyn
Simon Hamlyn marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jenni marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Marley marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Ted marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
bettina marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Patience marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Cena John
Cena John marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Robin marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Hockney was born in Bradford, England, on July 9, 1937. He loved books and was interested in art from an early age, admiring Picasso, Matisse and Fragonard. His parents encouraged their son’s artistic exploration, and gave him the freedom to doodle and daydream.

Hockney attended the Bradford College of Art from 1953 to 1957. Then, because he was a conscientious objector to military service, h
More about David Hockney...