Start by marking “Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)” as Want to Read:
Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
Preview

Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,677 ratings  ·  121 reviews
Half a decade after the Dominion War and more than a year after the rise and fall of Praetor Shinzon, the galaxy's greatest scourge returns to wreak havoc upon the Federation -- and this time its goal is nothing less than total annihilation.

Published September 30th 2008

James
I wish Goodreads allowed me to give a 4-1/2 star rating. This book was almost perfect. I could not put it down and only had a few small complaints that would keep me from giving it a 5 star rating.

After reading a few of his books, I would say that Mack is one of the best Star Trek writers. He gives his stories a very human element and manages to make large casts very exciting. (I usually prefer smaller casts allowing you to focus on a few characters.)

In this book, he has an extremely large cast.
"So, uh, we got this joined Trill who's a bit bungled up in the brain, ya know what I'm saying?"

"Like a bit on the neurotic side?"

"Exactly. The the funny things is, she's a counselor. On a space station."

"On a space station?"

"Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'. What um I s'posed tu do with a neurotic counselor?"

"Duh...."

::fingers snap::

"I got it! Make her a ship's captain. Make her totally unrecognizable. Problem solved. Bada-bing bada-boom."

"Ya think?"

"I ain't payin' ya to think. I'm payin' ya to wri
Stephen Osborne
It's been a long, long time since I've read a Star Trek book, so I thought I'd just jump in and pick a spot to begin again. And it seems I chose well. The first book of the trilogy is well written and exciting, full of "character" moments as well as action. There are A LOT of characters, though. 631. I counted them. Luckily, Mack gives you tiny updates just in case you haven't read EVERY Star Trek book, or have forgotten key moments in the TV shows. And Ezri Dax has my favorite line, when told b ...more
Michael
The first in a trilogy of novels set in the post "Nemesis" "Trek" universe, "Destiny: Gods of Night" is one of the more entertaining and page-turning "Trek" novels I've read in a while. Credit a lot of that to author David Mack who in the course of the novel juggles at least four separate plot threads over several different eras of "Trek" history. If you've been wondering why the last Enterprise novel was advertised as part of the previous books in the series leading up to this, you'll find out ...more
Terence
Nov 09, 2010 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ST novel fans; Mack fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
David Mack continues to show his strength as a ST author – fast paced adventures, good characterizations, well described space battles. The only complaint I would have in this first book of the Star Trek Destiny trilogy is that there’re too many dramatis personae – we’re following the crews of four starships, Enterprise, Titan, Aventine and Columbia. While Mack ably distinguishes most of his people, he still can’t develop them enough to make you care overmuch about them. Often he’s saved by the ...more
Luke
Review originally posted at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-rh

The first in the Star Trek Destiny trilogy, Gods of Night follows the events after the surprising change to the Borg's motives and their even more surprising declaration of war. With system after system being destroyed (not assimilated, destroyed) Starfleet is in dire straits and it's once again up to the crew of the Enterprise to find a way out of this mess.

Meanwhile the newly commissioned Captain Ezri Dax investigates a centuries old mystery th
Jarrah
I have really mixed feelings about this first installment in the Destiny trilogy. I absolutely love the focus on Ezri Dax and Erika Hernandez, and I enjoyed the exploration of Picard's struggle with facing the Borg again. But I had really been loving the way Troi had been portrayed in the previous three Titan novels, as much more powerful, skillful and fun than in the shows and movies. This book is not so good to Troi and it was kind of unrelenting.

In addition, this book might be a challenge fo
Jc
David Mack makes us feel at war, scientifically puzzled, and “honored guests with restrictions" in this first book of the Star Trek: Destiny series (Gods of Night). Three different novelle, interspersed across the book, give you a feeling of unrelated events that are constantly coming closer to convergence. With sub-plot changes reminiscent of episodes of TNG the book does a good job keeping the reader engaged with each story contained within.

We follow the NX-02 Columbia, under Captain Erika Her
Eric
I had read this book once before and gave up on it. I knew it was part of a trilogy, however I found the book so slowly paced that I was uninterested in perusing it further.

Then along comes the Literary Treks podcast and I learn that this trilogy is the key to the entire Star Trek universe reset. Since all the shows are done and there is no chance of further movies, Pocket Books now has the freedom to alter the path of the characters how they want.

With this trilogy the separate shows of The Nex
Christel
This was my very first Star Trek novel ever, and I have to say that I'm glad for it. In the Star Wars universe, I've noticed that writers sometimes fail to grasp the basic attributes of long-loved characters, which didn't happen here. It was easy to picture each character that was familiar to me, and the author was able to speak through them in a way that seemed genuine. I did have a hard time picturing the characters I wasn't familiar with though, and had to google them to get a better idea of ...more
Christopher
Multi-threaded Star Trek novel featuring advanced civilizations, unexplained anomalies in space, familiar characters/ships from 4 of the 5 TV series, and battles with the Borg. I've rarely read a book so quickly. It doesn't do much to develop any particular thread very well, and not all threads are equally well rationalized (at one point, a character actually wonders how one whole mission is tied to what's going on in the rest of the book and just concludes, well, there has to be a connection). ...more
Jonathan Harbour
I slogged through it and it was never quite right for me, very hit or miss as my earlier updates tell. But, I like David Mack and will read the next two to finish the series. However, I'm quite miffed that everything this guy writes is in series format. Hever never writes a novel, just the first chapter of a series, so everything he does is half-baked and that gets old after a while.

I've read David Mack before and the writing style here is no surprise--very similar to his Vanguard novels. In fa
Steve
Jimyanni
This is, in general, a well-written Star Trek novel. I've never been fond of the cliffhanger ending style, even if the story IS too long to fit between two covers; I much prefer that each individual book in a continued story have its own internal plot conflict that is resolved at the end of the book, even if the overall megaplot continues into the next book. So to my way of thinking, that cost it a star; if you don't mind "come back next week, same bat-time, same bat-channel" stories, consider t ...more
Dove Harbour
I have two problems with this book.

1. This passage:
The doctor finished entering his notes in the padd, looked up, and said, "Unless you have any more questions, we should probably get you prepped."
Will turned his body in a way that interposed his shoulder between Troi and the doctor. "Prepped? For what?"
"To remove the fetus," he said.
Troi covered her abdomen with her right arm, and her response was sharp and instantaneous. "Absolutely not."
A rasp rattled behind Ree's fangs before he said,
"Co
Carl Bussema
This is book 1 in a crossover trilogy between DS9, the TNG relaunch canon (post-Nemesis), and the Titan canon (Titan is Riker's ship in the new canon. Troi moved there with him as ship's counselor). There are also minor elements from Enterprise's canon, involving the sister ship, the NX-02 Columbia. This review is of the trilogy as a whole.

I have not read any of the Titan canon or the DS9 post-series novels, but I know the main characters. Dax has switched to command track and is a Captain now (
Daniel
Gods of Night, despite what the cover implies, is more than just a book about Ezri Dax and Captain Hernandez. This book has characters in it from all Star Trek franchises, except the original series. The layout of this book is a bit strange, I wish the author would have taken the same route as the "Gateways" Star Trek book series and devoted one book to one crew. Instead, we jump from crew to crew. In this trilogy of books, the Borg are back and they are not going to assimilate us, but destroy u ...more
Zoidberg
It's been a while since I visited the Star Trek novel universe. My biggest beef and the reason why I stopped was because at the end of every novel, it felt like there was a giant reset button that was pressed, and none of the characters would remember any of the events in the novel within the regular continuity of the series. Apparently that's been left behind, and I quite enjoy that point.

The book picks up with Captain Ezri Dax commanding her very own starship (how cute!! Last time I saw her sh
Joseph Barnes
Elsewhere, deep in the Gamma Quadrant, an ancient mystery is solved. One of Earth's first generation of starships, lost for centuries, has been found dead and empty on a desolate planet. But its discovery so far from home has raised disturbing questions, and
Mike
A great story that doesn't pull punches. Now that the books have been freed from the need to maintain the status quo of the TV shows on air and have become the de-facto maintainers of Trek continuity the books have all taken on a much more interesting turn. The fact that storylines are being coordinated and characters cross over, change and/or even die makes them all the more compelling.

Volume 1 of this trilogy that showcaes the final showdown between the Borg and The Federation is grand in its
Amanda
The Borg are back, and they're out to destroy instead of assimilate. The Federation is on its last ropes, and the desperate search for hope and the critical weapon that will end the threat of the Borg for once and for all is in full swing. Ezri Dax is now Captain of the Aventine, a ship that is sent to find out what happened to the NX Columbia, Erika Hernandez's ship from the 22nd century, in order to help save the Federation. The Titan, Riker's ship is searching out in the farthest reaches of B ...more
Chris
Mirrani
First off, don't start with the series if you have been away from Trek novels for any length of time. I had been away for a while and thought I'd just pick up this series and start that way. Not a good idea. That said, the book /did/ do a good job of catching me up without being horrible about it. All of the "This is what happened in previous years" thoughts and memories were well integrated and not so glaringly obvious that it was annoying.

The book itself is basically a novel used to set up thi
Jamie
It's been a long time since I've read a Star Trek novel. With the severe lack of real Star Trek in video format (no, the reboots don't count), I needed a fix. I tend to avoid the novels because they are not cannon and at times contradict the shows and movies, but after spending half my life with these charcters they've become like family that I haven't seen lately. I needed to find out what's been going on with the Enterprise crew since "Nemesis" and the DS9 personel after "What You Leave Behind ...more
Lance Schonberg
Apr 02, 2013 Lance Schonberg rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
Note: this short review will be attached to all three of the Star Trek: Destiny books, and I’m trying not to think about how long I’ve been putting this off.

Star Trek: Destiny is trilogy set in the expanded universe of post-Nemesis Star Trek. It involves, to varying degrees, the crew of the Enterprise, Titan, Aventine, and the NX-02 Columbia, as well as a few other viewpoints to give you a more wide ranging view of what is essentially a giant conflict.

The conflict? The Borg have decided that the
John Kirk
This is a good start to the trilogy. It's a pity that this book doesn't stand alone, but since it was clearly marked as part 1 of a mini-series I'm ok with that.

It's been a while since I read the preceding novels (particularly the Borg related books), but there was enough of a recap to get me up to speed. I thought at first that I'd missed something, since I don't recall Ezri Dax being anywhere near Captain level in the DS9 relaunch novels; however, it turned out that this happened "off-page", w
Lars
The last time I read a Star Trek book was in the late nineties, during the height of Star Trek's popularity. With two shows on the air and a movie out pretty much ever 2 years, it was a good time to be a Trekker. Unfortunately the naughties nearly destroyed Star Trek. Star Trek Nemesis and the prequel show Enterprise were both flops that seemed to spell the end of the franchise.

Fortunately the franchise survived and seems more popular than ever. After a succesful movie reboot by director JJ Abr
Jacen
In eager anticipation of this years Star Trek movie, I thought I'd catch up on my Trek EU and what better time and place to start than Destiny. I'm sure you all know that it takes place in different eras and is split between 4 different stories. I'm not going to go into that so if you don't know, read the jacket.

I liked Gods of Night. There were some solid sci-fi ideas set up here backed up with brisk momentum. I haven't grown insanely tired of the Borg as I have never read a post Captain Kirk b
Scott
In anticipation of the forthcoming new Star Trek movie this summer and since I can’t wait for the new movie to open, I decided to revisit the Star Trek universe. Star Trek Destiny is a trilogy, which I found disappointing. I had this series figured out after the first one hundred pages of the first book but I read all three to see if I was right, which I was.

Star Trek Destiny takes place in the Star Trek the Next Generation universe and the plot centers around three captains — Jean-Luc Picard of
Peter
My very first Star Trek universe novel - Yay! And to think I've been a fan for decades now... anyway.

This was a surprsingly nice read! Thus far I have always tried to steer clear of books based on famous fictional universes - I guess maybe I've been jaded by some of the worse "Dune" universe contiuations.
This book, however, was pretty fine for me basically because it featured three prominent characters and assorted sidekicks from the major Trek series of the nighties - namely Picard, Riker and
Major Hayes died in Enterprise Season 3 2 6 Nov 28, 2014 06:21PM
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Unworthy
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)

David W. Mack is a comic book artist and writer, best known for his creation Kabuki and his work on the Marvel Comics titles Daredevil and Alias

The author of the Star Trek Novels is David Mack
More about David W. Mack...

Star Trek: Destiny (3 books)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
Kabuki, Vol. 1: Circle of Blood Kabuki, Vol. 2: Dreams Kabuki, Vol. 5: Metamorphosis Kabuki, Vol. 4: Skin Deep Daredevil, Vol. 2: Parts of a Hole

“Maybe a captain more obsessed with strict protocol and formality would have been stalwart in hiding his feelings, but Riker didn’t subscribe to such emotionally stunted ideals of manhood.” 0 likes