Start by marking “Kramer vs. Kramer” as Want to Read:
Kramer vs. Kramer

Kramer vs. Kramer

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,265 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
In the beginning they were three. Joanna and Ted Kramer, and four-year-old Billy -- his big brown eyes bright with curiosity and wonder. A perfect family. Then on day the mother abandons them. Divorce. And now they are two. Father and son. Caring and cared for, learning what loving and belonging are all about, until there is a bond between them that nothing can break. Noth ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published October 31st 1988 by Ivy Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Kramer vs. Kramer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kramer vs. Kramer

Gaby
Jan 22, 2016 Gaby rated it really liked it
¡POR FIN TERMINÉ MI PRIMER LIBRO DEL AÑO!
RTC.
Raghav Bansal
Jun 29, 2012 Raghav Bansal rated it it was amazing
A heart-rending story of the immutable determination and fathomless love of a father for his son in times tempestuous, Kramer vs. Kramer immediately connects with the emotional quotient of a person however minuscule that might be. It recounts the quandary of a person caught between his seemingly bright calling future and an adorable son alone at home after his wife decides to walk out on him. The way in which the author has managed to create the magical bonding and slow love between the father-s ...more
Jolene Cazzola
Sep 22, 2015 Jolene Cazzola rated it it was amazing
I was actually re-reading this classic - still loved it, although this time I had a harder time believing the ending. Maybe I'm just more jaded after 20 years.
Maria Panova
Apr 05, 2017 Maria Panova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Чудесна и вълнуваща книга!
Sam Zumwalt
Jun 29, 2011 Sam Zumwalt rated it it was amazing
What an outstanding book. I came across this book at Half Price Books yesterday for I think seventy-five cents and thought why not. I had never seen the movie, but was somewhat aware of the plot. I sat it on the table with a couple of other books I bought last night. When I woke up today I could not put it down, it was one of those rare books that you find yourself reading in one sitting. The prose was easy to read and very matter of fact- a good bit of dialogue, but great description. As for th ...more
Stacie
Mar 27, 2013 Stacie rated it really liked it
Tim
Feb 15, 2016 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel did not start strongly, but got immensely better as it progressed. Very quick read; quite a page turner. Somewhat antiquated and quaint by today's standards, but it's interesting as a document of its time. 3.5 out of 5.
Coy Williams
May 23, 2011 Coy Williams rated it it was amazing
Read it and get ready to cry!
Hyram Sempere
Dec 03, 2016 Hyram Sempere rated it it was amazing
Lloré como nena :C
Graham
Jul 07, 2016 Graham rated it liked it
slow start with a heartbreaking last third
Attila
Dec 11, 2015 Attila rated it liked it
Avis complet posté sur BdP: http://www.boulevarddespassions.com/t...

Voilà une histoire à la fois tendre et déchirante face à laquelle on ne peut pas rester insensible. En effet on vit à travers ce roman une bouleversante et véritable bataille entre sexes du couple Kramer.

Les Kramer c'est tout d'abord Joanna, jeune femme de 32 ans ayant arrêté de travailler pour élever son enfant. Son mari Ted lui est un publicitaire s'approchant de la quarantaine. Billy enfin est leur fils unique âgé tout juste
Gabriele
I saw the movie before I read the book and it's one of the more successful literary adaptations I've seen...it might actually be more effective than the source material. Which isn't to say the source material isn't very good in its own right. There's a legal philosophy known as the "tender years doctrine", which basically boils down to the belief that women are presumed to be better parents of very small children. There was a time when it was applied essentially automatically to grant a mother c ...more
Liberius
Aug 14, 2015 Liberius rated it it was amazing
Velmi úspěšná kniha amerického spisovatele původem z Bronxu v podstatě vypráví celkem prostý příběh, na němž je zajímavá zejména jeho perspektiva.

Mrkněme se mu tedy pěkně pod pokličku...

Ted Kramen je takový normální chlápek, který má touhu randit s pokud možno co nejvíce ženami a užívat si tak rozličných sexuálních eskapád. Jelikož jsem muž, tak mu celkem rozumím. Jelikož jsem ale zároveň muž ne extrémně promiskuitní, tak zároveň i chápu jeho touhu upnout se na tu jedinou, což je v jeho světě Jo
Michele bookloverforever
Sep 22, 2016 Michele bookloverforever rated it really liked it
powerful
Phyllis
Mar 15, 2013 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Jan 30, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
There was a time during their marriage when Ted and Joanna Kramer were happy. There was a time when they loved each other deeply; and their brown-eyed, inquisitive four-year-old son Billy was the absolute light of their lives. The Kramers once considered themselves the luckiest couple with a perfect family.

Then came the day when Joanna Kramer abandoned her family and filed for divorce. Ted and Billy were left on their own; together, two against the world. Father and son. Caring and cared for, l
Ðɑηηɑ
This is a terribly written book, horribly boring and absolutely unworthy of your time.
I didn't like Corman's choice of depicting Ted's side of the divorce, but I don't necessairly think Joana's persepctive would have been more interesting to read about. I reckoned I'd like to read about ordinary lives of ordinary people and the tribulations they're going through, but Kramer vs. Kramer was a complete waste of time. I'd rather watch the movie. Or, better yet - the War of the Roses.
The only thing I
Darcy
Apr 11, 2016 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kramer vs. Kramer is written in a simple style and recounts a tale of parenthood, divorce and the subsequent custody battle. The setting is firmly entrenched in the 1970s.
I found this book a simple quick read and a modern cautionary tale that was able to fill me with empathy for single parents. By focussing on the practicalities of parenthood, the author built what I think must be a realistic picture of parenthood (though I am not a parent myself). The simple style reminded me of Steinbeck and h
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

After some years of marriage and parenthood Joanna Kramer walks out on her husband and son. In the note she tells Ted she needs more than being a stay at home mom. Now Ted is a single father trying to understand how Joanna could leave their son, Billy and what he has to do next. As Ted and Billy start to get used to their new life Joanna returns and wants sole custody.

I have been wanting to read this book since I first
Bonnie Lynn
Aug 04, 2011 Bonnie Lynn rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Although I did see the movie, I'd not read the book. The novel was good but lacked the charm of the 1979 film with Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. My preference for the movie surprised me since books normally trump their film versions, in my opinion (the other exception being "Jaws".) My friend speaks often of the lengthy struggle he went through to gain custody of his young son in the late 80's, which is what made me pick up the book when I found it available. I wouldn't advise against reading ...more
Victoria Lees
Feb 07, 2017 Victoria Lees rated it really liked it
This is a well-written book about a father's blossoming love for his son. After reading this book, it makes me want to see what they did with it in the movie. Has anyone seen the Kramer vs. Kramer movie?
Jess
Oct 22, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
This book did not thrill me, not did it annoy me. It was fine--a quick read, something easily consumable, and then forgotten. It is perhaps a bit dated because of the "mom wants to work outside the home, husband objects" narrative, thus entrenching it in the 70s. The one thing that I thought was particularly well done was the characterization of Billy. He seemed not like a caricature of a child, but an actual child. I won't read it again, but once again, it was well-written enough that I could r ...more
Kenneth Winfield Emerton
Feb 25, 2013 Kenneth Winfield Emerton rated it it was amazing
I had seen the movie a good five times, and I thought that it couldn't possibly get any better. Then I found out that it was based on a book. Shortly after, I found the book and bought it. The book has quite a bit that wasn't in the movie that helps us understand even more about the Kramer's and their lives. The movie (which was written by Avery Corman himself) follows the book exactly, minus the parts that were left out. Any fan of the movie MUST read this book, it's a great read.
Belyana Velikova
Странно как не ми е попаднала досега, но така е трябвало да стане явно. Много ме развълнува и добре, че не съм я чела като по-млада, че сигурно щях да произнеса сурови присъди. Някои жени не успяват да са просто майки, а някои мъже успяват да са и майки, и бащи. Много хора пък просто не успяват да живеят заедно, а може и да няма кой да им помогне в труден момент. Всички отговори са вътре в нас, въпросът е дали не ги откриваме прекалено късно. Но никога не е късно да откриеш хубава книга!
Nicole
Sep 01, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Is fire Island a real place? The movie does not mention it....In the book Billy is four in the movie he is in Grade 3...In the book we get a look in on the comedy of a single parent trying to date...the movie did not even touch on it...the book made me shed tears the movie left me dry eyed....I am so happy I read the book first because if I had only seen the movie, well I never would have read it. I enjoyed this book and I have read it more then once and each time it manages to make me cry.
Miramira Endevall
Mar 06, 2010 Miramira Endevall rated it liked it
It was interesting. I think I found myself being offended by the social mores of the seventies than by anything else. i.e. when Ted's lawyer warns him that a male intermediary might only be there to try and elicit a "homosexual proposition" that could be used against him in the custody hearing...yeah, not okay. Also, the time-warp snapshot of a time when Cheerios cost fifty cents ("and they're made of air!") and a full-time nanny only $125/week was somewhat intimidating. Good, quick read.
Barb
Oct 12, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it
I chose to read this because it was a freebie on the Kindle in the last month or so, and I recognized the title from the movie. I had seen the movie several years ago, and as I recall, I thought it was a good movie.

I'm not sorry I read it. It was easy reading, and it never seemed to drag. If I recall correctly, I think I liked the ending in the movie a bit better. There were only subtle differences, but I liked those differences.
Diane D White
Jan 21, 2015 Diane D White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bring Me My Hankie

Decades after seeing the movie adaptation of this novel, I finally decided to read it. I found it all the more touching for my still-vivid memories of certain scenes in the film that faithfully followed the book. Corman's Ted is more fully developed here than on film, since the reader has knowledge of Ted's unspoken inner thoughts that the moviegoer doesn't. It's a well-written book with deep emotional impact. I am very glad I read it.
Jamie Erin
Dec 29, 2014 Jamie Erin rated it really liked it
I was worried that I wouldn't like the book at the beginning, as Ted Kramer, the protagonist of the story, starts off as an unrelatable, unthoughtful guy. But Corman knew what he was doing, and shows very believably how Ted is able to grow into the amazing father and person who he becomes after his wife leaves him and her son without warning. This is a quick, but profound and poignant book.
Jstrootle
Jun 14, 2015 Jstrootle rated it liked it
A middle of the road book for me. Not outstanding but it definitely had some thought provoking pieces to it that are still relevant today. The fact that the book can transcend almost 40 years and still be relevant is an impressive feat. I kind of feel like a little more could have been done at the end, but maybe I got drawn in just enough with the characters to want more.
Goodreads Librari...: DVD? 5 21 Jul 21, 2014 09:03AM
  • Nell
  • Class Reunion
  • The Spanish Gardener
  • 666
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Witches
  • The             Rome Affair
  • Behind Closed Doors
Avery Corman (born November 28, 1935, in the Bronx, New York) is an American novelist.

He is the author of the novel Kramer vs. Kramer (1977) which created a sea change in attitudes toward child custody with the public and in the courts in the United States and internationally. Robert Benton wrote the screenplay and directed the movie of the same name Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) starring Dustin Hoffma
More about Avery Corman...