Start by marking “End of the Trail (End Of The Trail, #1)” as Want to Read:
End of the Trail (End Of The Trail, #1)

End of the Trail (End Of The Trail #1)

Will Connors is struggling to hold together a failing farm; his wife has died, his son has gone, he's not without enemies and he's dealing with the after-effects of a debilitating accident. It's a life of toil which doesn't allow for very much pleasure, and he's in danger of becoming embittered until a chance acquaintance wanders back into his life and everything begins to ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Manifold Press

To ask other readers questions about End of the Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of the Trail

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
3.5 stars. Review posted February 26, 2015

photo oie_NiMw3eRV1bhA_zpswbrolosr.png
 photo oie_cEzB3hP4p0qQ_zpso9kmrcpp.gif

A new-to-me author who, for once, did work out for me.

I haven't much to say about this one, so I'm going to make it short. The End of the Trail is a nice, very quiet and rather "eventless" read that provides solid writing. I believe, however, the book could have benefitted from better editing/proofreading. Here are only two examples among (too many) others.

"I'm not sure about," he waved a hand back and forth between them, "but I know I don't want to you
Written February 12, 2015

4 Huge Surprised Stars - What a charming gem.
I liked it so much. Just smiling now.

End of the Trail is a historical "western" M/M I got as a freebie a couple of weeks ago. ~ Lucky me!!

photo 1sm237cowboy_zpsf02bcf37.gif  photo 1sm237cowboy_zpsf02bcf37.gif  photo 1sm237cowboy_zpsf02bcf37.gif  photo 1sm237cowboy_zpsf02bcf37.gif

Ahhhh this was a surprise!!
I'm so glad I choosed it today. End of the Trail started promising from the prologue and it lived up very good to that promise more or less all the way to the end. An unexpected love-story in an unusual environment. I maybe liked the first half best, but
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Mar 07, 2016 Heather K (dentist in my spare time) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather K (dentist in my spare time) by: Jo
This was, as I expected, a very lovely read. A beautiful, slow burn, western romance with some surprisingly hot scenes (including some M/M/F, for those curious). I don't have too much to say about this one because it was a fairly plot-less story. I mean, the guys did a few things here or there, but the main focus was on their gradual transition from companions to lovers.

That being said, I didn't know that this was the first in a series. The ending is pretty complete feeling so I guess their sto
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Aug 18, 2016 R * A Reader Obsessed * rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Perhaps as a warning, this was quite the sedate tale of how these two men come together.

Having helped John a few years back, Will now knows he aided a notorious outlaw. On the run with really nowhere to hide, John comes back several years later looking for a little reprieve. Not to excuse his past, but terrible circumstance made him into something he truly wasn’t, and there’s regret and pain and failed attempts at leading a straight, honest life - a life he attempts to do so with Will.

Not much h
Sep 21, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
I do love westerns and this is damn good one.

This is a very slow burn friends to lovers story. It starts out with a prologue. Will is a rancher with a wife and son and he takes in John, a man who has been shot and is wandering on the trail. John heals up and leaves the ranch after he saves the family from some bandits.

Fast forward a few years. Will has a permanently injured leg, his wife Molly is dead and his son is living with relatives back east. John reenters his life and they work the ranc
Jun 23, 2013 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. Enjoyable Western m/m romance. I say 'Western' instead of 'Cowboy' deliberately. This book seems to be the same vintage as Little House On The Prairie and has a realistic feel in the way it describes the conditions and people of the time. It's still a nice light story though. Good romance, easy to read and reminds me a little of those dime-store western paperbacks you can still pick up from the newsagent even today. (view spoiler) ...more
Heather C
I really loved Will and John...a widowed rancher falling for an outlaw. Sweet friends-to-lovers and GFY story that really didn't have much conflict, but I couldn't put it down.
Jun 11, 2010 Kassa rated it really liked it
Manifold Press is off to a pretty impressive start with a few intelligent, exciting offerings. The press has just published four gay romance stories and one of those is End of the Trail by Jane Elliot. This undemanding cowboy story set in the historical west offers an authentic atmosphere, great characters, natural companionship, and an ease to the story telling that lets the pages fly by. There is a good progression and happy ending, but the slight possibility for more. Hopefully this is just t ...more
Apr 21, 2011 Jenre rated it it was amazing
Why I bought the book: I bought this as part of a huge order with Manifold Press on the strength of several good reviews of their books.

Plot: Will owns an isolated cattle ranch and is eeking out a living on the land with his wife and son. They rescue a stranger, John, who has been shot and nurse him back to health. After John leaves Will discovers that John is a wanted man with a high price on his head. When John returns a few years later he finds Will alone and crippled. Will takes him in again
Mar 20, 2011 xbmbgrl rated it really liked it

AA male/male romance set in the old west with tons of character development along with the building of a very satisfying relationship between Will and John.

Will is an earnest hardworking down to earth rancher trying to do it all on his own with no idea how lonely he has become since the death of his wife. John is a good man gone wrong several times over but with enough soul left to know how a life is supposed to be lived. Both men are drowning and have no idea that is so. By teaming up
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
What's wrong with me? This is an enjoyable read, with charming protagonists, with a setting I love because of my dad-made-me-watch-cowboys-on-tv upbringing and I am glad I read it, but I feel there's something missing.

The beginning is great: John is an outlaw and he's rescued by Will and his family, who discover John is wanted after he leaves. Three years later, John returns to Will's farm: Will is a widower, his son is East with his wife's family and Will's leg is pretty bad because of an acci
Mar 08, 2015 K rated it really liked it
very good historical western story of an outlaw who 2 years before the main story is shot and rescused by a rancher and his family, when he returns everything hs changes for the rancher and the outlaw is looking to retire. Over around 8 months the pair get to know each other, become involved and decide to try for a new life. There is some M/F/M sex in this but before the men are together
Kelly L
Jan 31, 2015 Kelly L rated it really liked it
What a GEM of a book. One of the things that sets it apart from a lot of other books is not merely because it takes place in the old West. It is a different type of read for many reasons. While it is not an angsty drama or a complete smutfest it IS the beautifully told story of Will & John as a bond of genuine love, pure affection and caring evolves on each page.

Will is the widower who for the first time in his life develops physical and emotional affection for another man. I won't spoil it
Sadie Forsythe
May 02, 2015 Sadie Forsythe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-lendable
Wow, I can honestly say I did not expect to like this as much as I did. It's a wonderfully slow, angst free, subtle, Gay For You story and I very much enjoyed it. I liked the way it was situated in the time period. I liked the way Will still desperately loved his wife and missed his son. (Women are so often poorly presented in MM and that wasn't the case here.) I appreciated the way sex wasn't gratuitous, in either frequency or scope. These men didn't suddenly start going at it like rabbits just ...more
k reads
Jun 26, 2015 k reads rated it really liked it
Shelves: quiltbag, read-2015
Not a whole lot of plot but a believable western romance that allows the relationship to build over time. I have a fondness for a good western. This was very enjoyable.
Jordan Lombard
This was a cute, relaxing, and sweet romance novel.

My only issue was the fact that the "gun" that gets mentioned in Act I of a play is supposed to be used by the end, wasn't in the case of this book. There were a few things they did to prepare for a bad ending, and a few bad guys who didn't actually show up to cause more harm.

Otherwise, it was a good read.
Mary Devereaux
Feb 05, 2015 Mary Devereaux rated it liked it
3.5 stars.... I enjoyed the story of Will and John, I really did. However, the editing was somewhat sloppy and I think the author missed the opportunity to show a bit more angst - or struggle - on Will's part. I can accept the seemingly always hetero man suddenly being gay well enough, but in reality it should've taken a bit more to get him there.
It was a great read, but I almost felt like a lot of the "good" parts were missing. For example, Will wants nothing to do with Johns fingers near his
May 06, 2010 R.J. rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is the first MM historical *wild west* writing I have read and I couldn't put it down. I just can't wait for a sequel, I so want more of Will and John and their story as they move East...
Gerry Burnie
Gerry B's Book Reviews

4.0 bees

A brief overview of the books I’ve reviewed will reveal that I like westerns, especially those written in the classic style, and here’s another one: End of the Trail by Jane Elliot [Manifold Press, February 23, 2013].

I was first attracted to it by Robert Plotz’s cover image—two men riding hard with unfurled lariats in their hands. It is evocative of the old ‘penny westerns,’ with lots of action portrayed; however, the only problem being that it has little to do
Elisa Rolle
Months ago a friend of mine complained that he doesn’t find enough western gay romance to read, and I thought, my friend, your research is an hard one; of all the hundreds and hundreds books I read, very few are truly western romance, a gender that was popular in the ’80 and ’90, but not so much now, and if you add the gay themed research, it becomes even more difficult.

End of the Trail is a perfect example of western romance, even in the reason why Will and John embark in a same-sex relationsh
Elizabeth H.
4.5 rounding down to 4.0 just because I was driven batty by the parenthetical expressions. (See note at end of this review; I'm rounding up to 5 stars as of December 2010)

Thirty pages into this novel I thought it wasn't very good, but it really got going shortly thereafter. And I really enjoyed finishing it, turning pages in a rush.

There is a sort of delightful naivete about the story. There's almost no introspection, but that's appropriate from the third person narrator, Will. The course of th
ARe Cafe
Apr 12, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it
Shelves: vals-picks
This unusual Old West-era love story between an outlaw and a homesteader takes risks in the name of realism with the accepted romance formula. It includes male-female-male sex scenes in which the two buddies hire a prostitute together in the same businesslike way that modern guys might go get their oil changed and tires rotated before a fishing trip. I thought it showed a very realistic transition for how two men of the time could gradually evolve into a sexual and romantic relationship with eac ...more
I hadn't read the blurb when I started reading this book, and it was a bit of a surprise when it 'morphed' into m/m - not that I any objection to m/m! However, the story dragged for me and there were several points when I expected far more 'Western' action. Instead it was rather too bland with little conflict. It was ..okay.. Not a great m/m story and not a great Western either. It all just seemed too easy somehow.
Blue Bayou .
Nov 13, 2012 Blue Bayou . rated it it was amazing
What a great read! 4.5 stars rounded up. I loved John and Will. I usually like a little angst however this story doesn't really have any and that was just fine. The story was great and the MC's were not overly described but enough that you could feel their attraction and love. Sometimes authors are so involved with getting the attraction fleshed out, as it were, that they miss the liking each other.
John obviously had a colorful and illegal back ground however Will did what I believe is wonderfu
Kendra T
This book started out pretty slow to the point that I thought it was a 3 star read, but it got more interesting and a lot better as the book went on. Will and John had such an easy chemistry between them, even when it felt like they shouldn't. There wasn't a lot of angst in this book and there were times I wondered how John managed to get away with being so hidden, but it worked for the book and I really ended up enjoying it. Glad I read this.
This was a really enjoyable "friends to lovers" and "gay for you" novel. Nothing spectacular happening, but just a nice sweet story that hooked you in and made you want to keep reading with a nice big sigh of contentment at the end.
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
~ 3 Stars
Just so you know, there are m/f scenes in this mostly m/m story. In case you don't like that type of thing in your m/m.

Anyway, Will and Molly are trying to take care of a ranch in the middle of nowhere and Will rescues John and is taken care of while he heals. One night John's past finds him and he leaves for two years. When he returns, he finds a lot has changed, Molly has died, Will's barely holding it together especially since his leg was injured and everything around the ranch is e
Western kinda story. Not much talking, but enough was said. A very refreshing read after some more wordy stories I've gone through lately.

There wasn't much passion in this, but there was a gallon of curiosity, a fingerful of wonder and a pucket full of small gestures that showed romance and even love between the widowed and crippled Will and the outlaw John who came back for good.

A wonderful surprise for a free story (only for today!).

Um... sounded promising but just didn't deliver. This was like placing a pot of water on the stove to boil on low heat just to find out you never turned on the stove. Sex scenes were meh and the characters didn't seem to have chemistry. Unless someone can recommend another book by this author that "delivers" in storyline, character chemistry, and sex scenes, End of the Trail and author Jane Elliot will be the end of the trail for me.
Jan 23, 2015 Feliz rated it really liked it
just aww...

This is the unadorned, unsentimental, straightforward story of two men gradually slipping into a loving - and sexual - relationship. Incredibly romantic and sweet without the slightest hint of saccharine.

Contains m/f/m and m/m/f
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Longhorns
  • The Only Gold
  • The Door Behind Us
  • Out of the Blue
  • Dash and Dingo: In Search of the Tasmanian Tiger
  • Roses in the Devil's Garden (Fallen Rose, #1)
  • Skybound
  • Secret Light
  • On the Trail to Moonlight Gulch
  • To Feel the Sun
  • Kindred Hearts
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Allegiance: A Dublin Novella
I am no longer on Goodreads. You can contact me at my gmail account, under the name janethunder.

Thanks for reading!
More about Jane Elliot...

End Of The Trail (2 books)
  • The Devil in Dead Horse (End Of The Trail, #2)