A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking

A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  458 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In A Designer's Eye For Scrapbooking, Ali shares her design secrets on how to create attractive, charming and well-balanced pages that tell a story and reflect your unique personality. This inspirational guide to scrapbook page design will teach you how to preserve your memories in a meaningful way.
Published February 1st 2004 by PriMedia, Inc

To ask other readers questions about A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking

Phoebe
In the end, this book read more like a catalogue of the author' work. I enjoyed the design, but didn't feel I learned very much.
Amy Lyn
Decent ideas, but not everyone's life fits in a little box like this.
Aimeslee
From the standpoint of a non-graphics-artist artist, I consider this book the bible of graphic design in 2 dimensional paper arts, particularly scrapbooking. Contrary to what some may think, one needs a fairly well-ingrained sense of the graphics art senses of proportion, balance and color in order to design and create a scrapbook page that pleases the eye. Ali manages to teach these with a simple and basic set of rules, all well-illustrated and easy to follow. And if you are someone who already...more
Becky Christensen
Jun 06, 2009 Becky Christensen marked it as to-read
This book has great ideas for Scrapbooking but I have found it much easier to create my Memory Books or Story ScrapBooks Digitally with HeritageMakers - at www.yourstorybooksonline.com Absolutely no cutting gluing pasting and big scrap books sitting on shelves- but rather beautiful hardcover library quality books. And it costs less too - at an average of $20.00 per scrap book page plus all those containers to hold all those supplies! Izzsh! I have access to over 40,000 templates and embellishmen...more
Pamela
Dec 16, 2007 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapbookers
This book was published in 2004 and is beginning to show its age - especially in the style of layouts. Ali's style has changed quite a bit since then. It is still a good resource, though, for the information presented there. I like how she talks about communicating her vision in her scrapbooks. I love her idea of foundations and filling the compartments of your page with photos and embellishments. It makes good design understandable and very doable. I can't wait for her new book. It is on my Chr...more
Kym
I love Ali Edwards' style, and just looking at her pages is a great inspiration. What I love about her style is that it is timeless and her own. I feel like I could look at this book again in five years and still find something fresh. The fact that she focuses on the story, the pictures and the layout and not the product really makes it easy to transfer what she does to my own style, in scrapbooking, art journaling and journaling...even though this book focuses on scrapbooking.
Brandie
Dec 05, 2008 Brandie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves scrapbooking!
Ali Edwards does it again - she provides inspiration and fun in her book, A Designer's Eye for Scrapbooking.
She shows the reader eye-catching and fun ways to celebrate being a life artist. I found myself having to put it down and go back to it SO many times, because I would get sudden bursts of inspiration...
Sophie Riggsby
Jul 02, 2008 Sophie Riggsby rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapbook enthusiasts
Ali's approach to using patterned paper (she did write a sequel on just that topic) while still maintaining a clean layout is just amazing. Love her use of square punches. It made me bring all my punches out and contemplate their use in a more linear approach. I turn to this book over and over again for ideas.
Enjoli
Who doesn't love Ali Edwards. The most inspirational person in the world, she really makes it a good point to get your creative juices flowing by being yourself and going with the flow. She is truly a muse for all those who play with paper and photos.
Lain
Ali Edwards is, in my opinion, the undisputed queen of clean design and compelling pages. To see how she breaks down the creative process, step by step, is such a gift. This book has everything in one package -- great design, great writing, great photography.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2008 Lisa added it
A great read for the intermediate to advanced creative scrapbooker. Ali uses a good mix of older photographs (1970's) with newer digital photographs. Her focus on design principles will take you to the next level in creating heirloom keepsakes
Jessica
I love everything Ali writes, and this book was no exception. she's a designer and I'm attracted to her clean style. this is a great book for scrapbooking.
Jeri
Ali is such an inspiration! I especially like the concept of getting the story behind the picture down in writing and the linear feel of her designs.
Michelle
Fun book to flip through. I like how Ali's newer books are organized. It was definitely fun to see some of her older pages and projects though!
Shanda Strawkas
Ali Edwards is by far, my most favorite scrapbooker. Her ideas are creative, but very simple. Plus, she likes to think outside of the box :)
Lea
Aug 09, 2007 Lea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
This is the book that I turn to for ideas to start a layout. Ali gives good, clear advice and makes pages that both novices and experts can enjoy.
Kimberly Calderon
I refer to this book when I'm stuck with some photos and don't feel inspired to scrap them... it always unsticks me!
Natalie
Jan 30, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapbookers of all stages
Shelves: scrapbooking
Great tips on how to set your pages up so they're more appealing. Ali has a great style and is very talented.
Karen
Love Ali's style. Love how she can throw things together and focuses on photos and the story.
Kate
Love this - it is a constant reference. I need to buy her second and third (when it comes out).
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2010 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapbookers
Ali Edwards is my scrapbooking mentor above all others! She is an artist and an inspiration!
Sandy
Jul 24, 2007 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapping friends
This is a great book with lots of design ideas for using patterned paper in your layouts.
Cindy
Jul 13, 2007 Cindy added it
Love this book by Ali! Great design ideas and a must-have for every scrapbooker.
Robbin
Cleared out some scrapbooking and photography books but Ali's book is a keeper
Holly
Great book. Another one of my favorite idea books I go to for inspiration.
Mona Scott
Ali is so creative and inspiring - she always gives me inspiration!
Amy
has jumpstarted my creativity so many times, I've lost count!
Becks Fagg
Okay - pretty to look at... and love the author's style
Dana
Mar 28, 2008 Dana added it
when I first realized Ali E, was a phenomenal scrapbooker
Lori
another fave from autumn leaves series.
  • Clean & Simple Designs for Scrapbooking
  • The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Cute Stuff: Let's Make Cute Stuff By Aranzi Aronzo!
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
Life Artist Designer's Eye 2: Scrapbooking W/ Patterned Paper Sharing Your Story: Recording Life's Moments in Mini Albums Digital Quick Pages