Start by marking “The Silent Order” as Want to Read:
The Silent Order

The Silent Order

Cleveland, Ohio, 1928. Secrets bind the notorious Cardano family together, but Detective Rollin Wells is close to exposing the family’s dark secrets. The Cardanos are working in the hills south of Cleveland, and when Rollin travels to Sugarcreek to investigate, he discovers that the Cardanos want him dead.

Rollin hides out in an Amish home, trying to uncover why the Cardano
Published November 1st 2010 by Summerside Press

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Order

Murder Freshly Baked by Vannetta ChapmanThe Shunning by Beverly  LewisWhen the Heart Cries by Cindy WoodsmallThe Covenant by Beverly  LewisThe Betrayal by Beverly  Lewis
Best of Amish Fiction
252nd out of 404 books — 361 voters
To Win Her Heart by Karen WitemeyerA Promise to Love by Serena B. MillerFaithful Traitor by Jill StenglFairer Than Morning by Rosslyn ElliottLonestar Angel by Colleen Coble
Carol Award Winners
83rd out of 147 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Audrey
What happens when the Mafia meets the Amish? Secrets and danger. Detective Rollin Wells is determined to get the Cordano family organization down along with their criminal activity. When he learns there will be big activity in Sugarcreek, he goes to investigate. When he becomes injured he is given shelter in an Amish home. Katie Lehman reminds him of someone whom he loved years ago but she has her own secrets. Will they be able to trust each other?
Pauline
Sep 16, 2016 Pauline rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
It's our October book club read. I'll write more after we discuss it. They get my first thought. Never read anything before from that era. Not a big fan of Amish books but setting the story in Sugarcreek fit well into the storyline. I loved Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson more, but this was an excellent story.
Casey
Nov 11, 2010 Casey rated it really liked it
What does a quiet Amish community and the Mafia have in common? A great deal more than one would think in this great work of suspense, THE SILENT ORDER.

Two worlds are covered in this novel in a masterful way. On one hand you have a corrupt family who is making illegal liquor during Prohibition involving murder and evil in the basest of human beings. And when they encroach on the Amish lifestyle, more than one secret is unearthed.

I thought the suspense was well done, drawing my attention deeper i
Jamie
Mar 08, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This book is The Godfather meets Amish

I know right!? For someone who ranks Godfather II high on the movie list (please no arguments, that was the best one of the trilogy), this book had me hooked from the beginning. From unexpected allies, to heart breaking moments, to loveable characters, Melanie Dobson’s The Silent Order was a fantastic read! I had to tell P90X he was just going to have to wait until I finished the book.

If you think your family has drama, just join a mob family. That’ll keep y
Wendy
Jul 15, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books-i-read
BOOK BLURB
Rural America - 1928. After the murder of his partner, Detective Rollin Wells hides away in an Amish home near Sugarcreek, Ohio, to find out who in the police force is collaborating with Cleveland's notorious mob.

While Rollin searches for answers to his partner's death, he befriends an elusive young Amish woman named Katie and her young son. As Rollin learns about Katie's past, he's shocked at the secret Katie is hiding - a secret that has haunted Rollin for eight years.

MY REVIEW
I have
Kristy
Um, it was a good book. It didn't really leave a lasting impact on me. I read it a couple of months ago, and I'm just now getting around to putting it on goodreads, so I can't remember my last impression right after reading the book. But I remember liking it, there were a lot of twists and surprises that made the story sweet.
Melissa
Jan 16, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
My first endeavor into reading an Amish novel. The story is similar to the movie 'Witness' with the main characters being a police detective and an Amish woman. It was well-written and entertaining.
DIANA ROCKWELL
Oct 13, 2016 DIANA ROCKWELL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little bit of everything...

This book is well written, well researched, and intriguing. Educational with regard to the mafia,prohibition, and the Amish. It is a love story, mystery, and undercover work. Great read and I will be looking for more from Melanie.
Tina Wyatt
Sep 20, 2016 Tina Wyatt rated it really liked it
What does a crime family and the Amish have in common ? Not much but they are joined together in this book .This book takes place in the 1920's. Rollin Wells is a detective who is trying to shut down the local crime families who are also into bootlegging. Katie is an Amish woman who has a past that she is trying to hide. Rollin stumbles into an Amish community that Katie happens to live in. What will happen next ? Will Katie's secrets come out?
This book has a twist that I didn't expect in an
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Nov 21, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: CFBA, Wynn-Wynn Media
I really enjoyed reading this book. The instant pull into the story is absolutely amazing. The plot line is different, though. Very different. Melanie Dobson is a seasonly talented author who truly knows what her fans will love. She took two extremely different worlds and blended them in a way that would seem unthinkably impossible. But, she did it and it was WONDERFUL!

Rollin Wells, a 1920's detective, was the depth of the story. Dobson chiseled his character into one that instantly grabs you an
Barb Klein
Jul 16, 2016 Barb Klein rated it it was amazing
Set during the Prohibition, “The Silent Order” by Melanie Dobson is a book filled with suspense, murder and mobsters. Nikki and Liz Cordano are discovered in their father’s secret room in his restaurant, Mangiomo’s. They were not supposed to be there and were definitely NOT supposed to overhear what their brother and his henchmen were planning. Their family has no problem disposing of its own members if they are suspected of double-dealing.

Nine years later, Detective Rollin Wells is one of the
Dec 07, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: THE SILENT ORDER
Author: Melanie Dobson
Publisher: Summerside Press
November 2010
ISBN: 978-1-60936-019-1
Genre: Inspirational/historical romantic suspense

Dark secrets bind the notorious Cardano Family together. Detective Rollin Wells is close to exposing them. He witnesses a vicious murder, with his partner, but they don’t have enough backup to take down the Cardano Family at that time—still, he is determined he will win this war against them.

Katie Lehman is an Amish woman with a young son. S
Jodi
Nov 22, 2010 Jodi rated it it was amazing
I’ll be honest, when I think of a great read I don’t think “Inspirational Fiction,” but I have never been disappointed by any of Melanie Dobson’s work. I am not at all interested in studying history or reading another mindless love story but Dobson has a way of working magic with her words. She cleverly disguises her history lessons in suspenseful plots with believable characters and while she’s at it, she sneaks in questions we all ask but are too afraid to voice out loud.

In The Silent Order s
Amy
May 15, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed reading books by author Melanie Dobson as she is a masterful storyteller in bringing past and present timelines and situations to such emotional and fulfilling conclusions. I do not read a whole lot of Amish fiction, but I can tell you that The Silent Order is not your usual fair. This story takes place during the 1920’s in Cleveland and Sugar Creek, Ohio in a time of mobsters and bootlegging. Detective Rollin Wells is a detective bound and determined to take down one ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Nov 18, 2010 Clockstein Lockstein rated it really liked it
The Silent Order by Melanie Dobson is proof that bonnet lit is branching out into other genres. Rollin Wells is a detective working to bring down the gangster family the Cardanos in 1928 Ohio. When his partner is killed while they investigate a lead out in Amish country, Rollin is forced to seek help from Katie Lehman, a local girl with a secret. He has to try and bring down the Cardano family before they destroy him, and Katie, who is beginning to claim his heart. Dobson's writing is always ...more
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cleveland Detective Rollin Wells has a personal vendetta; find enough evidence to expose the nefarious Cardano family mobsters once and for all, allowing justice to run its course. They stole something very precious from him and Rollin is not about to stop until each and every one of them has been apprehended. He just didn't expect to lose his junior partner in the process.

Katie Lehman and her young son, Henry have embraced the Amish way of life in Sugarcreek, Ohio. Her past is but a distant me
Joleen
Jul 10, 2016 Joleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't believe I've ever read a book that mixed Amish with Mafia along with prohibition during the 20’s. But it worked, and it was pretty good.
A remote home in the Amish country of Ohio becomes the meeting site for something big that the mafia are planning. A couple police from nearby Cleaveland catch wind of it and drive down to investigate, but are ambushed, leaving one dead and one bleeding. He manages to run into the corn and escape onto another Amish farm where they take him in. The rest o
Janna
Nov 21, 2010 Janna rated it it was amazing
Melanie Dobson has taken something that I'm not overly fond of right now (Amish themed books) and given it such a fascinating twist that I couldn't help but love this book. When you mix the Amish with mystery, mayhem and the Mafia, how could it not be great. There are many twists and turns in this book that really kept me guessing. Melanie has a way of presenting all kinds of questions and then slowly but surely pulling the threads together one at a time. Giving just enough info to help you ...more
Mary
Mar 23, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Melanie Dobson has created a really different plot here! Mixing the Amish with the Mafia sort of......I just finished this one and I must say it was interesting to say the least. The suspense over wondering who Henry's father was nail biting, but I had it in my mind who it was and at the end of the book I found out I was correct...
I enjoyed the book and finished it in just 3 days. Pretty good for my busy household. I thought it brought out Amish customs pretty good and was authentic in those. T
Tasha enderby
Jan 05, 2013 Tasha enderby rated it it was ok
Shelves: amish, 2013
If you like Amish fiction you really need to read the author's not at the back of the book first before you get into it. This is an okay book if you have never read an Amish novel before because of the fact that it's written by a women who know's very little about the Amish. This book I find to be funny because I just came across a horrid reality show of the Amish Mafia ( yes amish mobsters) crazy, I know. This book is not as rediculas but it does shoe the strong Mofia ties Ohio had in the past. ...more
Jan 10, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I love reading books about the Amish but generally its from the inside, this one because of a secret of a members of the Cardano family in 1928, Chicago. When Detective Rollin who is attempting to expose the family dark secret during this time of illegal alcohol and other crimes. In his travels to Sugarcreek to investigate a trip he found out that the family wanted him killed and an attempt was made on his life and a Amish family took him in and their medicine woman saved his life with her herbs ...more
Barbara
Melanie Dobson uses two very opposite cultures, the coldhearted, greedy, and self-centered attitude of the Cleveland, Ohio mafia during the prohibition era, and an amish community of people trying to live life in a peaceful and forgiving way in Sugarcreek, Ohio during the same time period, to weave an unusual, unpredictable, and enjoyable story. I can't explain how the two groups become involved in the same plot without giving away too much, but it made for a very unique book. It has good ...more
Tina Watson
Aug 09, 2011 Tina Watson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read
This is the first book that I read that was written by Melanie Dobson and I will say that I loved this book.

I love the suspense and the mystery. The suspense in finding out what the Cardanos were up to and the mystery about who Katie really was and who fathered Henry.

It was a great book to read. Plan on reading more of Melanie Dobson books in the future.
Christy
Sep 26, 2015 Christy rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
I got this book as a bargain book at Lifeway Book Store. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not and I probably should have passed on this bargain. It was wrote well I just did not like the story. I enjoyed Katie in the beginning; but I did not like where she ended up in the end. I would not consider this Amish Fiction.
Kim
Jul 18, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
The Godfather meets the Amish, throw in a few character qualities from the movie Witness, and you have The Silent Order. I enjoyed the read. Great little historical fiction/mystery/crime/suspense/love story/inspirational fiction novel.
Carolyn E
Nov 01, 2012 Carolyn E rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book!! It is a great story--a little reminiscent of the great movie "Witness," (still my favorite movie). I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially to those who enjoy Amish fiction.
Jen
Mar 08, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Katie's safe Amish world is shaken when a detective lands in their community on the run from gangsters. His arrival threatens to reveal a dangerous secret about her own past. A fun and exciting Prohibition era story.
Janie  R. Freeman
Jan 10, 2015 Janie R. Freeman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysterysuspense
An exceptional read by Melanie Dobson! Her writing is awesome, kept me intrigued till the end. I have read several of her books, and I always enjoy the fast paced reading, but fascinating characters and plot. I loved the characters of Katie and Henry, and of course Rollin!
Catherine Richmond
Cleveland detective Rollin Wells traces mafia activity to an Amish community during the Prohibition. This author does an excellent job keeping the suspense high - this is a book you can't put down - while weaving in the characters' back story. Well done!
Heidi
Jul 09, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
Prohibition era Cleveland mafia and law enforcement mixed with old order Amish? This book manages to combine all of that into a fast fascinating read. Since the author did base the book loosely on real events, I'm going to have to find out more about the Cleveland Mafia of that time!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • A Marriage for Meghan (Wayne County, #2)
  • Simply Sara (Plain and Simple, #2)
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • Courting Ruth (Hannah's Daughters, #1)
  • An Amish Love: Three Amish Novellas
  • Love Finds You in Sugarcreek, Ohio
  • The Promise of an Angel (Heaven On Earth, #1)
  • The Christmas Singing (Apple Ridge #2)
  • The Caregiver (Families of Honor, #1)
Writing novels is a fun excuse for Melanie to explore ghost towns and old houses, travel to unusual places, and spend hours reading dusty books and journals. She writes both contemporary and historical fiction with threads of romance and suspense.

Melanie is the award-winning author of fourteen historical romance, suspense, and contemporary novels including Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor, Chateau of
More about Melanie Dobson...