Start by marking “Popular Tales from the Norse” as Want to Read:
Popular Tales from the Norse

Popular Tales from the Norse

Full of giants, trolls, heroes, and beautiful princesses, these 42 folktales include such favorites as "Temptations," "The Magician's Pupil," "Legend of Tannhäuser," "The Outlaw," "The Widow's Son," and "The Goatherd."
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1859)

To ask other readers questions about Popular Tales from the Norse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Popular Tales from the Norse

Adam Fisher
Sep 27, 2010 Adam Fisher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A good book, but it has very little to do with Norse mythology, and for that it gets a low rating for false advertising.

My real issue with this book is that the title is rather misleading. I hadn't gotten through perhaps four stories before it became very clear that these, while certainly stories, were much less so Norse, or even mythological.

There are only two stories into which Norse religion factors, one of these being a brief appearance of Odin, the other being the brief appearance of a valk
Mary Catelli
Translated from Peter Christen Asbjørnsen and Jørgen Engebretsen Moe's collection. You may have heard of this particular collection; J.R.R. Tolkien cites it in "On Fairy-Stories." And you definitely know one tale: "The Three Billy-Goats Gruff."

There are a lot more here. Has some animal tales, and some anecdotes of fools or knaves -- I particularly liked "Boots Who Made the Princess Say, 'That's A Story'", as the twist that makes her say it is clever. But there's "The Twelve Wild Ducks", which ha
J. Aleksandr Wootton
This particular collection was more concerned with the sagas of kings and heroes than with anything "mythological" per se. I was hoping for many tales of the gods of Asgard, and did not get them.
Stacy
Dec 03, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this was not mythology. It was Scandinavian folk tales. There's a big difference. Otherwise these stories weren't bad but they did start to get a bit repetitive. There were very similar elements in a lot of them which started to get a little boring. You could see some elements of more well known fairy tales later written by the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen which I thought was interesting.
Barb Middleton
Apr 11, 2016 Barb Middleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This work takes some of George Webbe Dasent's translation of P. C. Asbjoernsen and J. Moe's 1842 publication of Norse folk tales and presents it to modern readers. I am glad that I read Jack Zipes, "The Complete First Edition: The Original Folk & Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm," because the introduction does a better job explaining the times. The introduction in this book is only part of Dasent's and it doesn't put it in its historical context. I think an update or a comment from a schola ...more
Mattathias Westwood
I read the Project Gutenberg edition, available here.

Scandinavian fairy tales, rather than Norse myths. The introductory essay is one of those classics of late-19th early-20th century scholarship, full of rambling digressions and not always academically rigorous, full of faulty assumptions about national character and aspersions towards non-Europeans (and honestly, non-British Europeans as well) but in a wonderful conversational tone. I wish more modern academics could capture that tone, without
Bryan
As a collection of fairy tales from antiquity I think it's fantastic. I love Norse mythology. This is the stuff of trolls, witches, princesses, glass balls, knights in armor, mysterious secret passageways, and the like. Fairies tales are magical. We can't argue with a fairy tale; if 'to look into a mirror' will get us trapped inside forever, well...that's that. It won't do us any good to complain about whether or not such a thing is possible; we just mind to obey.

There are some cultural cues in
Caroline Åsgård
Jun 03, 2015 Caroline Åsgård rated it really liked it
All the stories I heard at bedtime as a child! I giggled while reading the book as I remembered my father's voice imitating the trolls and other things that aren't supposed to talk.

The book starts out with a big introduction part, about history, origins of tales and comparing them to similar ones all over the world. And of course about mythology; I print screened the first page where Åsgård came up (it's my last name).

Then we have the main part, with all the Norwegian fairytales about trolls, ro
Kayla
May 04, 2015 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not finished yet, but not sure if I will...

Giving 2 stars for bad editing and misleading title/cover/introduction. The title suggests that the content is going to be Norse Mythology, which is reinforced by the cover (Odin and Brunhilde), and the introduction goes on at length about the history of the Norse gods, influence by Christianity, recent collection of the stories about the gods in writing, etc. - but it's not. It's German and Scandinavian folk tales, think "brothers Grimm" not Heathens.

A
John
Oct 22, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tales in this book were not so much tales of Norse Mythology, but rather Scandinavian folktales. I liked the stories well enough and was interested to see how many of these tales resembled each other as well as some of Grimm’s Fairytales. I also thought that it was interesting that many of the stories probably did exist prior to the Christianization of the Norsemen, and how subtle changes were made in them to “de-paganize” them.

It is worth a read if you like this type of material, but don’t
Lindsay
Not really Norse at all, which was unfortunate as I was reading it to get into the right frame of mind before going to Norway. But I had a great time in Norway anyway.
But back to the book, the stories were a bit repetitive and had quite bizarre lessons to be learned. Not something to read to children before bed.
Nina
After briefly checking out the back of the book, I thought "this is something right down my alley!"; This feeling only got confirmed by reading the rather long and interesting Introduction! But then it went downhill... 2 stars simply cos they are nice tales, folk tales. Imo it doesnt even come close to mythology... VERY DISAPPOINTING! ...more
Nathan
Dec 24, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for tales of Thor, Odin, frost giants &c, you won't find them here. You will, however, find charming fairy tales in which the youngest child always comes out ahead, the ogres always die, and beautiful princesses are rescued.
Tom
Aug 04, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of these are a hoot, but most are duplicates of fairy tales from other countries and cultures, which the editor goes into in excessive detail in the overlong introduction. Of interest only to explorers of comparative folk culture.
Desclian
Sep 11, 2011 Desclian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful edition of some really good tales. Introductions to the tales would have been welcome, or at least some notes, but this doesn't detract at all from the stories themselves. Tons of fun.
Elise
Oct 23, 2012 Elise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was good, but had nothing to do with Norse myth. Infact, the end went into African myth. So the low star rating is for the very misleading title.
Naftoli
I actually read this last year but forgot to input it. It's not fresh in mind my so I cannot write a review.
John
Oct 27, 2012 John is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
10/31: Introduction was 22% of the book and overly pedantic. That's a crime. Just starting on the actual stories now after several days of reading.
Keith Luttrell
Keith Luttrell rated it really liked it
May 02, 2015
Alexon
Alexon rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
christina l kolaskey
christina l kolaskey rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Wes Johnson
Wes Johnson rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Peter Neiger
Peter Neiger rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2015
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Arne
Arne rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2011
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Cw
Cw rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2016
Rich Peterson
Rich Peterson rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Sidney Cowan
Sidney Cowan rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Rita Van Trump
Rita Van Trump rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Popular Tales From the Norse published earlier 2 15 Feb 02, 2015 11:38AM
  • Folk-Lore and Legends Scotland
  • The Grey Fairy Book
  • The Children of Odin: The Book of Northern Myths
  • Myths and Legends of the Sioux
  • Myths of Babylonia and Assyria
Sir George Webbe Dasent (1817—1896) was a translator of folk tales and contributor to The Times.

Dasent was born 22 May 1817 at St. Vincent, West Indies, the son of the attorney general, John Roche Dasent. His mother was the second wife of his father, Charlotte Martha was the daughter of Captain Alexander Burrowes Irwin.

He was educated at Westminster School, King's College London, and Oxford Univer
More about George Webbe Dasent...

“Is there anything more beautiful than gold?” - Freya's question.

Plain-thoughted Thor spoke. “A farm at first light
Is more beautiful than gold, or
A ship's sails in the mist.
Many ordinary things are far more beautiful.”
2 likes
“It is said that true tricstkers can make trouble between two pans in a kitchen.” 0 likes