Start by marking “Le Dalaï Lama Parle De Jésus: Une Perspective Bouddhiste Sur Les Enseignements De Jésus” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Le Dalaï Lama Parle De...

Dalai Lama XIV

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In this very accessible book, one of the world's most loved spiritual teachers omments on well-known passages from each of the four Gospels, providing a unique reading of these familiar sources of faith. The Dalai Lama opens a windows of understanding of spiritual transformation, meditation, and the "good heart" for seekers of any faith. 2 photos. 4 illustrations.
314 pages
Published 2008 by J'ai lu (first published October 3rd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Le Dalaï Lama Parle De Jésus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Dalaï Lama Parle De Jésus

Jsarno49
This book provides an insight into the thinking of the Dalai Lama when he spoke at the 1994 John Main Seminar where he read and reflected upon selections from the Gospels. The major point that stays with me is that every individual seeks some spiritual guidance and that while there may be some similarities in religions, the differences are important to maintain so people have choices. A few of my favorite quotes are as follows:
p. 80 "It is also crucial to recognize that both spiritual traditions
Bryce Wilson
An intelligent and spirited debate, that respects both Buddhism and Christianity while being steadfast and honest about their differences.

A perfect model of interfaith communication, something that is desperately needed.
Lee Harmon
The premise for this book is fantastic! Talk His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, into speaking before a Christian audience in Middlesex University, London. Call it The Good Heart, emphasizing the humanitarian aspects of both Christianity and Buddhism. Give him eight passages of Gospel scripture to read in preparation for the seminar, and hear what he has to say.

The eight chosen passages are:

Matthew 5:38-48, Love Your Enemy
Matthew 5:1-10, The Beatitudes
Mark 3:31-35, Equanimity
Mark 4:36-24, The Kingdom
Ed Smiley
The fascinating thing about this book is that it touches on one of the aspects of wisdom, empathetic understanding of another engendering multiple simultaneous perspectives and respect.

The story is a simple one. A group of Christian meditators with contacts with Tibetan Buddhists invites the Dali Lama to discuss the Christian gospels.

This is an unusual request, as the Dali Lama has not been exposed to them very much. So a group of passages such as the sermon on the mount are chosen, translated
Eileen
The Dalai Lama was asked to be the main speaker at a conference of The World Community for Christian Meditation and to comment on eight passages from the Gospels. They meditated together each day before looking at the scriptures. I learned a lot about Buddhism, and saw what the 2 traditions have in common and where they differ. The Dalai Lama was willing to engage in some conversations and not others -- where he knew the disagreement was too great to make dialog profitable. Yet his attitude towa ...more
Amy Terhorst
This book is a discussion with the Dalai Lama and Christian/Catholic priests and teachers. I loved the comparisons between Buddhism and Christianity and the commonality found in the teachings. Truth is truth, no matter where it is found.
Rolfern
Her er en bokide jeg tente på! Vil ikke lese den for fort....
Lavinia
I would not know where to start from. It has so many aspects and it made me think about so many things. If you ever feel good about yourself, just read this book and you will understand how far along are you on the way to being "good". And yet, despite this, I was happy to read it, to get a chance of questioning myself and my actions and my attitudes from a "religious" point of view.
I have the deepest consideration for Dalai Lama with respect to everything: his peaceful combat, his compassion an
Amanda
Important reading for Christians and Buddhists. His Holiness captures the essence of Christian faith and reflects it back to Christians in a compassionate, intelligent, and mature way. In some ways, he makes the Christian take responsibility for his religion, to inquire into it, to explore nature of Christian teachings and to commit more fully to it. He clarifies the Buddhist perspective on spiritual matters, making the book a useful reference guide for students of Buddhism.

I have some concerns
Carly
I really enjoyed this book. Not only did I get to see the Bible from a Buddhist perspective, I also got to see that even devoted Christians are beginning to be more open-minded in interpretation. In reading this book, I began to realize just how much the individual churches have influenced my opinion of Christianity in general. I realize I have been a bit closed off to the idea of embracing Christianity in any form. I found it interesting that the Dalai Lama kept emphasizing that he didn't think ...more
Matt Root
I was a little disappointed with this book. I was hoping for some creative readings of the Gospel texts in question, but all too often (and understandably so) the reflections were simply pointing out similar ideas in Buddhist writings. The most helpful take always for me were the discussions on the possibilities and limitations of interfaith dialogue.
Ruth
In 1994 the John Main Seminar (The World Community for Christian Meditation) invited The Dalai Lama to join with them, to read and teach selected passages from the four Gospels. I enjoyed studying these passages from a slightly different perspective. The Dalai Lama was very gracious and careful to explain the parallel he saw between Buddhism and Christianity. He was equally careful to explain the differences and why those difference can be good. I'm finding that I'm comfortable with most Buddhis ...more
Bridget
This book had very interesting points to ponder, but it wasn't the catalyst for any revelations, at least for me. I always enjoy hearing (or reading, in this case) what the Dalai Lama has to offer, so I was particularly interested in reading this book to learn his interpretations of the Bible readings. His insightful interpretations didn't disappoint, however it wasn't a quick read as there were many points to digest. I wouldn't call this light reading.
Jen
This book was interesting, but not really what I expected.
The Good Heart was a conference for Christians, and they invited the Dalai Lhama to come speak on certain passages from the Bible.

I'm not sure what I was looking for...
it was kinda like they were trying to print the feeling they had at this conference, and it just didn't work.
Arlene
An interesting premise. The Dalai Lama was invited to comment on passages from the Gospels, with a group of Christian meditators. While interesting, I found the format of the book to be repetitive, with a lot of extraneous commentary.

I did find the small portion of the book which actually contained the Dalai Lama's comments very interesting.
Jeannine
I loved this book. I gained new understanding from reading the Dalai Lama's perspective on these scriptures, and I also found much truth and beauty in the introduction and other commentary in the book.
Keith Bell
Thanks to a great friend that re-discovered this book for me. (Go Abigail!)I lent this out 12yrs ago and it never came back. Amazing insight. The dignity and respective that the Dalai Lama gives the text is evidence of his great openness and compassion. I hope Christians can read this with the same openness he demonstrates.
Quan
This isn't much of a review but it was interesting to wonder why the Dalai Lama was so against the synthesis of religions into one. I wonder if it has anything to do with religious politics, cultural imperialism, and/or the Christian church's history of violence in the name of religion.
Jon Tupper
Although the bridge work of two different traditions was for me, a bit daunting at times, the love and compassion herein at the conference with Christian mystics and the Dalai Lama is wonderful. The in depth perspectives on scripture, culture, and spiritual practice is enlightening.
Robyn
This is a difficult book to read and that's why I initially gave it four stars. But in retrospect, it is so worth the effort. There is so much food for the mind, soul and spirit here. It's definitely a five star. Just stay with it...it can get a little like work at times.
☯Bettie☯
Apr 29, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
I need to read because of this:

Norway said on Friday (25.04.2014) that its government would not meet the Dalai Lama during his visit to Oslo in May, in a controversial decision aimed at warming up icy relations with China.

(28.04.2014) Oslo lawyer has slammed Norway's government for its 'capitulation' to China over the Dalai Lama. "My attitude is that it is a capitulation to China not to meet a human rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner when he comes to Norway."

The Dalai Lama, the exiled
Cheryl
A wonderful comparision of Christianity and Buddism as only The Dalai Lama could explain. This is a complex read and spurs reflection on one's beliefs.
John
There is a connection greater than we think...open your heart and mind and then open this book...or just open the book and it will open your heart and mind.
Mary
Really interesting book - it really showcased the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.
Bekah
Dialogue at a conference between the Dalai Lama and some Catholics. Pretty interesting.
Sandi
Very interesting reading on HH's perspective on Christian scripture.
Mary Jane
Mary Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • Teachings of the Buddha
  • A Quaker Book of Wisdom: Life Lessons In Simplicity, Service, And Common Sense
  • Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers
  • The Promise of Paradox: A Celebration of Contradictions in the Christian Life
  • It's Really All about God: Reflections of a Muslim Atheist Jewish Christian
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Zen and the Birds of Appetite
  • Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
  • Meditation in Action
  • A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead or The After-death Experiences on the Bardo Plane
  • Use Both Sides of Your Brain: New Mind-Mapping Techniques
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama