Start by marking “Le Dalaï Lama Parle De Jésus: Une Perspective Bouddhiste Sur Les Enseignements De Jésus” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Le Dalaï Lama Parle De...

Dalai Lama XIV

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  391 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In this very accessible book, one of the world's most loved spiritual teachers omments on well-known passages from each of the four Gospels, providing a unique reading of these familiar sources of faith. The Dalai Lama opens a windows of understanding of spiritual transformation, meditation, and the "good heart" for seekers of any faith. 2 photos. 4 illustrations.
314 pages
Published 2008 by J'ai lu (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Le Dalaï Lama Parle De Jésus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Dalaï Lama Parle De Jésus

Jsarno49
May 23, 2011 Jsarno49 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides an insight into the thinking of the Dalai Lama when he spoke at the 1994 John Main Seminar where he read and reflected upon selections from the Gospels. The major point that stays with me is that every individual seeks some spiritual guidance and that while there may be some similarities in religions, the differences are important to maintain so people have choices. A few of my favorite quotes are as follows:
p. 80 "It is also crucial to recognize that both spiritual traditions
Bryce Wilson
May 07, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
An intelligent and spirited debate, that respects both Buddhism and Christianity while being steadfast and honest about their differences.

A perfect model of interfaith communication, something that is desperately needed.
Lee Harmon
Mar 25, 2012 Lee Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise for this book is fantastic! Talk His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, into speaking before a Christian audience in Middlesex University, London. Call it The Good Heart, emphasizing the humanitarian aspects of both Christianity and Buddhism. Give him eight passages of Gospel scripture to read in preparation for the seminar, and hear what he has to say.

The eight chosen passages are:

Matthew 5:38-48, Love Your Enemy
Matthew 5:1-10, The Beatitudes
Mark 3:31-35, Equanimity
Mark 4:36-24, The Kingdom
Ed Smiley
Jan 15, 2010 Ed Smiley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fascinating thing about this book is that it touches on one of the aspects of wisdom, empathetic understanding of another engendering multiple simultaneous perspectives and respect.

The story is a simple one. A group of Christian meditators with contacts with Tibetan Buddhists invites the Dali Lama to discuss the Christian gospels.

This is an unusual request, as the Dali Lama has not been exposed to them very much. So a group of passages such as the sermon on the mount are chosen, translated
Eileen
Nov 25, 2013 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dalai Lama was asked to be the main speaker at a conference of The World Community for Christian Meditation and to comment on eight passages from the Gospels. They meditated together each day before looking at the scriptures. I learned a lot about Buddhism, and saw what the 2 traditions have in common and where they differ. The Dalai Lama was willing to engage in some conversations and not others -- where he knew the disagreement was too great to make dialog profitable. Yet his attitude towa ...more
Constantino Casasbuenas
Chía, 27 May 2015
The Good Heart
His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Wisdom Publications 1996

I liked a lot the text because it shows how an inter-religious dialogue happens. The experience happens because of several reasons. First of all there is mutual trust and even some degree of admiration among the participants, most of them Christians and Buddhists. All of them meditating, reflecting and praying. They had different traditions and beliefs and there was mutual respect. Coming from different origins, th
Bob Buice
Jun 06, 2016 Bob Buice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History did not permit the early followers of Jesus (1st century CE) to mingle with the early followers of the Buddha (5th century BCE), but the Dalai Lama XIV of Tibet sees as similarities in the teachings of the two. The Kingdom of God (Mark 4:26-34), a refuge for believers, may be related to Buddhists’ refuge in the Three Jewels — the Buddha, Dharma (teachings), and Sangha (community), although Buddhists, emphasize a sense of personal responsibility rather than a dependence on a transcendent ...more
Amy Terhorst
Apr 20, 2008 Amy Terhorst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a discussion with the Dalai Lama and Christian/Catholic priests and teachers. I loved the comparisons between Buddhism and Christianity and the commonality found in the teachings. Truth is truth, no matter where it is found.
Rolfern
Her er en bokide jeg tente på! Vil ikke lese den for fort....
Lavinia
Jun 01, 2012 Lavinia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I would not know where to start from. It has so many aspects and it made me think about so many things. If you ever feel good about yourself, just read this book and you will understand how far along are you on the way to being "good". And yet, despite this, I was happy to read it, to get a chance of questioning myself and my actions and my attitudes from a "religious" point of view.
I have the deepest consideration for Dalai Lama with respect to everything: his peaceful combat, his compassion an
Amanda
Apr 23, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Important reading for Christians and Buddhists. His Holiness captures the essence of Christian faith and reflects it back to Christians in a compassionate, intelligent, and mature way. In some ways, he makes the Christian take responsibility for his religion, to inquire into it, to explore nature of Christian teachings and to commit more fully to it. He clarifies the Buddhist perspective on spiritual matters, making the book a useful reference guide for students of Buddhism.

I have some concerns
Carly
Jan 24, 2013 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Not only did I get to see the Bible from a Buddhist perspective, I also got to see that even devoted Christians are beginning to be more open-minded in interpretation. In reading this book, I began to realize just how much the individual churches have influenced my opinion of Christianity in general. I realize I have been a bit closed off to the idea of embracing Christianity in any form. I found it interesting that the Dalai Lama kept emphasizing that he didn't think ...more
Bryan
Aug 01, 2016 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enlightening read. The Dalai Lama has a pretty good grasp of the spiritual lessons to be had from the Gospels, even though he is not a Christian and does not know a lot about Christianity. In spite of the large differences in theology between Buddhism and Christianity, some of the spiritual principles are extremely similar. In fact, certain spiritual principals dealing with things like compassion and love are universal, to some extent, and are prominent in the teachings of all the major relig ...more
Matt Root
I was a little disappointed with this book. I was hoping for some creative readings of the Gospel texts in question, but all too often (and understandably so) the reflections were simply pointing out similar ideas in Buddhist writings. The most helpful take always for me were the discussions on the possibilities and limitations of interfaith dialogue.
Ruth
Oct 31, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1994 the John Main Seminar (The World Community for Christian Meditation) invited The Dalai Lama to join with them, to read and teach selected passages from the four Gospels. I enjoyed studying these passages from a slightly different perspective. The Dalai Lama was very gracious and careful to explain the parallel he saw between Buddhism and Christianity. He was equally careful to explain the differences and why those difference can be good. I'm finding that I'm comfortable with most Buddhis ...more
Wendy
His Holiness is not interested in converting anyone. This book is an inter-faith dialogue and looks at what Buddhism and Christianity share.
Bridget
This book had very interesting points to ponder, but it wasn't the catalyst for any revelations, at least for me. I always enjoy hearing (or reading, in this case) what the Dalai Lama has to offer, so I was particularly interested in reading this book to learn his interpretations of the Bible readings. His insightful interpretations didn't disappoint, however it wasn't a quick read as there were many points to digest. I wouldn't call this light reading.
Jen
Aug 28, 2010 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting, but not really what I expected.
The Good Heart was a conference for Christians, and they invited the Dalai Lhama to come speak on certain passages from the Bible.

I'm not sure what I was looking for...
it was kinda like they were trying to print the feeling they had at this conference, and it just didn't work.
Arlene
Jan 11, 2012 Arlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
An interesting premise. The Dalai Lama was invited to comment on passages from the Gospels, with a group of Christian meditators. While interesting, I found the format of the book to be repetitive, with a lot of extraneous commentary.

I did find the small portion of the book which actually contained the Dalai Lama's comments very interesting.
Jeannine
Jan 03, 2014 Jeannine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I gained new understanding from reading the Dalai Lama's perspective on these scriptures, and I also found much truth and beauty in the introduction and other commentary in the book.
Keith Bell
Nov 12, 2012 Keith Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to a great friend that re-discovered this book for me. (Go Abigail!)I lent this out 12yrs ago and it never came back. Amazing insight. The dignity and respective that the Dalai Lama gives the text is evidence of his great openness and compassion. I hope Christians can read this with the same openness he demonstrates.
Quan
Jul 31, 2014 Quan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This isn't much of a review but it was interesting to wonder why the Dalai Lama was so against the synthesis of religions into one. I wonder if it has anything to do with religious politics, cultural imperialism, and/or the Christian church's history of violence in the name of religion.
Jon Tupper
Aug 26, 2012 Jon Tupper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the bridge work of two different traditions was for me, a bit daunting at times, the love and compassion herein at the conference with Christian mystics and the Dalai Lama is wonderful. The in depth perspectives on scripture, culture, and spiritual practice is enlightening.
Robyn
Nov 04, 2007 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult book to read and that's why I initially gave it four stars. But in retrospect, it is so worth the effort. There is so much food for the mind, soul and spirit here. It's definitely a five star. Just stay with it...it can get a little like work at times.
Bettie☯
Apr 29, 2014 Bettie☯ marked it as wish-list  ·  review of another edition
I need to read because of this:

Norway said on Friday (25.04.2014) that its government would not meet the Dalai Lama during his visit to Oslo in May, in a controversial decision aimed at warming up icy relations with China.

(28.04.2014) Oslo lawyer has slammed Norway's government for its 'capitulation' to China over the Dalai Lama. "My attitude is that it is a capitulation to China not to meet a human rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner when he comes to Norway."

The Dalai Lama, the exiled
Cheryl
Oct 08, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful comparision of Christianity and Buddism as only The Dalai Lama could explain. This is a complex read and spurs reflection on one's beliefs.
John
Dec 16, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a connection greater than we think...open your heart and mind and then open this book...or just open the book and it will open your heart and mind.
Mary
Jan 20, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book - it really showcased the similarities between Buddhism and Christianity.
Bekah
Jul 22, 2009 Bekah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dialogue at a conference between the Dalai Lama and some Catholics. Pretty interesting.
Sandi
Jul 23, 2009 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting reading on HH's perspective on Christian scripture.
  • Introduction to Tibetan Buddhism
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • A Still Forest Pool: The Insight Meditation of Achaan Chah
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • The Zen Teachings of Jesus
  • Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian
  • Zen and the Birds of Appetite
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • A Quaker Book of Wisdom: Life Lessons In Simplicity, Service, And Common Sense
  • It's Really All about God: Reflections of a Muslim Atheist Jewish Christian
  • Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism
  • Cherokee Feast of Days: Daily Meditations
  • The Orthodox Heretic And Other Impossible Tales
  • Christ the Eternal Tao
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • Teachings of the Buddha
  • Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity
  • A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...