Start by marking “Robin Hood: The Story Behind the Legend” as Want to Read:
Robin Hood: The Story Behind the Legend

Robin Hood: The Story Behind the Legend

Oscar® winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as Robin Hood, whose exploits have endured through out popular mythology. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world
power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eterna
Published April 27th 2010 by Tor Books (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Robin Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robin Hood

Mike (the Paladin)
Well, I have to admit that "cover picture" aside I wasn't really aware this was a novelization of the Russell Crowe movie...

Okay so i was a little slow on the up take. Maybe I'm getting old.

Why am I sitting at this keyboard again....?
Oh, yeah, okay i remember.

Anyway as noted this is the novelization of said movie. So if you liked the movie (which I did/do) you'll probably like the book.

It takes some liberties with history (though has the general historic frame work right and pretty accurately
Indah Threez Lestari
Aku punya aturan tak tertulis terkait novel-novel movie tie-in:
1. Jika filmnya diangkat dari novel, lebih baik membaca novelnya lebih dahulu sebelum menonton filmnya karena biasanya novelnya lebih baik dari filmnya.
2. Jika novelnya disusun berdasarkan naskah filmnya, lebih baik menonton filmnya lebih dulu sebelum membaca novelnya, karena biasanya filmnya lebih mengasyikkan dari novel/naskahnya, terutama bila banyak dialog improvisasi model film Iron Man.

Sekarang aku melanggar aturan itu, dan...
Pam
Nov 02, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just like the movie
Lanie
As a fan of almost anything to with Robin Hood, i jumped up and down and freaked out when i saw a used copy of this in my local used book store. i love robin, his stories and all that he stands for but this was a mockery of him, and of the literary sub-genre. Honestly, i couldn't make it past the first few chapters, even though i enjoyed the movie. the main problem he was the writing style. it was painful! it was choppy, elementary, and just plain annoying! I happen to be very picky about what i ...more
Jeremy Preacher
This requires a little explanation, doesn't it? I don't usually read the novelizations of terrible movies. And, although I haven't seen it, I can say with confidence that this was a terrible movie.

When I was a kid, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves came out, and I desperately wanted to see it. My mom disapproved, because she thought it was too violent. (She was probably right, but I don't really remember the timeline all that well.) So I picked up the novelization instead.

I LOVED that book. It was f
Peekablue
Feb 20, 2014 Peekablue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book stays very close to the movie. Except for a few slight differences and some added details, the story is exactly the same. The film is one of my favorite adaptations of the Robin Hood legend, so I figured I may as well read the book.

I really enjoyed the book. The storyline jumps around just as it does in the movie, however, that did not hinder my enjoyment. The characters and dialogue are all the same, especially if you watch the director's cut. So, why not just watch the movie and ski
BrocheAroe
The best part about this book was the reader, Robin Sachs, but I might be a bit biased because I like low gravelly voices talking to me in foreign accents. (I "read" this as an audio book.) There were many days when I sat in my driveway after having come home, continuing to listen to Robin read me the story. The story itself wasn't half bad (though it was only half good). It was just so godawful SLOW, and I don't mean Robin's reading. Because it was a movie adaptation, there's only so much chara ...more
Sheila DeChantal
So seriously... doesn't that sound a lot like Robin Hood? That's 'cause it is! I kid - but really this audio was all action, all testosterone, strong men who fight for their women...

ahhh... I admit it - I do like the era... I like men who act like men (packing a bow and arrow doesnt hurt either...) and women who wear the long beautiful dresses but are still tough....

whats not to love?

I have seen the movie Men In Tights (no, I am not proud but there it is...) and probably a cartoon or two in the
Noe Sanchez
May 09, 2014 Noe Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robin Hood: The Story Behind the Legend is an excellent book telling the adventure of Robin Longstride with side conflicts that lead to the main conflict.Its well written and detailed, has romance any person who likes these traits in a book should read it.The book lets you in on what Robin is thinking and feeling,you can also understand robin for who he is through his actions a hero,thief or legend . The book takes place in England some time around 13th century during a civil war. One of the imp ...more
Sam
You know what they say, "The book is better than the movie" this is not the case with this one. I really liked the movie but this book just was all kinds of boring to me. It just seemed to drag on and on and on. I have WAY TOO MANY book the slug through one.
Amanda
Jul 30, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read with a little bit of back story that you don't necessarily get from the movie. I did like that you get to find out more about the main character's history that wasn't clear from the movie.

Great book based on the movie.
Juliet-Camille
One day I will learn that no matter how enticing it may seem, novelizations based off films are not a good idea.

I liked the film, but this book, although the writing is sound, fails to add anything new to the cinema version.
Holly
Jul 26, 2016 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad to see that I was not the only one who didn't realize that this was an adaptation of the movie! Although it wasn't the classic I was expecting, it was a pretty good story. I really enjoyed the narrator Robin Sachs.
Annette
Fun - had to read it... days of yore... etc. etc. Nothing like a good-hearted hero!
Dave
Dec 30, 2011 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book as a traveled to work. It is an adaptation of the movie but entertaining. I would recommend for anyone who has not seen the film.
Brian
Jun 27, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Novelization of the recent movie. I'd recommend either.
Jordan
Jul 29, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flowed easily, great story to it, an amazing beginning to a legend.
Dawn
Nov 12, 2011 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was good, but the storytelling wasn't very exciting. I'm almost wondering if the movie came first and then the author retold the movie.
Glees20
Nov 07, 2013 Glees20 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book, best historical fiction book I've read. Builds lots of suspense.
Linda
Jan 05, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fun to listen to.
Shalon
Sep 19, 2010 Shalon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good version of Robin Hood. Book was better than the movie. Liked the unpredictability of an old story.
While the story was really good, it felt more of a tell of kings and knights than it did about Robin Hood.
Marcy N
Sep 09, 2011 Marcy N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definately not the typical "Robin Hood"
Frank
Apr 05, 2013 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good for a quick read. Nothing too spectacular....but not bad.
Erin
Aug 22, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: okay
okay... good story, bad telling. Dont write books about movies.
Sio
May 05, 2010 Sio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book that kept me hooked through the whole thing. I did start reading it before seeing the movie, and finished it after, and it stands well on its own.
Dodi Mohd.
Sep 12, 2010 Dodi Mohd. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it's nise ..
Taylor Spencer
Taylor Spencer rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • King Arthur
  • Battleship (Movie Tie-in Edition)
  • Musim Ceri di Bullerbyn
  • The Karate Kid (Karate Kid Novels, #1)
  • The Pirate Devlin
  • Iron Man 2
  • Great American Folklore
  • Clash of the Titans
  • Ladyhawke
  • X-Men
  • GoldenEye (John Gardner's Bond, #15)
  • The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Movie Novelization
  • The Mystery of the Singing Serpent (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #17)
  • Gladiator
  • Muddle Earth Too (Muddle Earth #2)
  • Dubious Deeds (The Further Adventures of Eddie Dickens, #1)
  • The Mummy
  • The Twins' Mystery Teacher (Sweet Valley Kids, #3)
David B. Coe is an author of fantasy novels and short stories. He lives with his wife, Nancy Berner, and their two daughters on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee.
He has begun writing a new historical fantasy series under the pen name D.B. Jackson. The first one is titled Thieftaker, published in 2012.
More about David B. Coe...