Start by marking “Warbreaker” as Want to Read:
Warbreaker

Warbreaker (Warbreaker #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  36,187 ratings  ·  2,572 reviews
Sisters Vivenna and Siri are princesses of Idris. Susebron is the God King one must marry. Lightsong is the reluctant minor god of bravery. Vasher is an immortal still trying to undo mistakes of centuries before. Magic from individual breath from everyday objects can perform all manner of miracles and mischief.

All revisions of this book starting from the rough draft, excep
Published June 9th 2009 by Tor (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Warbreaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warbreaker

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienElantris by Brandon SandersonJonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkeAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanNeverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Best Stand-Alone Fantasy Book
14th out of 126 books — 66 voters
Dune by Frank HerbertCat's Cradle by Kurt VonnegutStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. HeinleinThe Year of the Flood by Margaret AtwoodThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Author-Created Religions
31st out of 70 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I really have spoiled myself far too much after feeling exultant due to exams being over and holidays having begun. Firstly it was the sweets (drinking m&ms, eating cheescake, icecream, trifle and toasted sandwiches filled with caramelised apple - cook apples and then mix cream and brown sugar) but not all at once of course, only across 24 hours. And then secondly I read this absolute gem of a novel. But then I have found all of Brandon Sanderson's serious fantasy books to be
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
2.5

Let me start by saying that I was pleasantly surprised. For some reason I was expecting another epic type fantasy, with lots of travel and descriptions of foliage, and I was very glad to find myself mistaken in that regard. I enjoyed the more personal aspect of the story, and the intrigue and mystery which went along with it. It was definitely a page-turned, especially towards the end when I wanted to see how everything would work out.

So why only 2 1/2 stars?

A few reasons. The first is that i
Robin (Bridge Four)
What is better than Pi day (3.14)? A Warbreaker reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day.

with my felllow Sandersonitis friends at Fantasy Buddy Reads

This is a private group. Let me know if you need an invite.

Original Review Jun 2014:

4.25 Stars

Buddy read with Athena and Alexa.

I have Sandersonitis – Symptoms include
- Bleary eyes from reading too long or staying up too late
- Knocking yourself in the head for missing the clues and being blindsided
- Pain in your arm from holding your book or kindle for
Jon
Felicia
Enjoyed this a lot. One thing I admire about this author is his dedication to world-building. This is the third world I've read by him where he's invented a new type of magic system that is fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of road-paving to get something this unique through to the audience, and the beginning is a bit slow because of it, but I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system.

Like most of the other reviews I agree the ending felt a bit rushed, and the sequel was set up in
Penny
Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors and as such my expectations are always rather high and once again he managed to exceed them.

It's impossible to discuss a Sanderson novel without first talking about his world building and magic system. The intricacies of the deep rooted biases and politics between countries was well laid out and made up an important part of the main plots. It also led to one of the more interesting discussions about what we take for granted as given based on wher
C.W.
Honestly, this was a pleasant surprise. I've heard so many times that this book wasn't as good as Brandon's other work. Here's my two word response: Fuck. That. This book was freaking awesome. Fantastic character development all throughout, an interesting world with a crazy cool history, a fascinating magic system, and a non-stop never-dull plot pulling all of that together to make something that's seriously unique. It also plays a huge role in our future understanding of the Cosmere. I suggest ...more
MJ
Sep 11, 2010 MJ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like descriptions of sexy ladies
Gavin
Warbreaker is another great Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy novel. Like his other books this had great world building, a fantastic and unique system of magic, and a ton of memorable characters.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters and their attempts to stop two nations from going to war. All set in a world where those who die in glory are returned as Gods, and souls are the fuel that keeps both the returned Gods alive, and powers the biochromatical magic system.

Warbreaker is a superb book and
Athena (Shardbearer)
Reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day, March 14.
Fantasy Buddy Reads Group, Warbreaker Thread

Epic Buddy Read with Robin & Alexa Wednesday 6/18

I thought I was ready to write a review...nope...need time to think this one through.

Inge
Guys, I'm only going to say this once.

You need to get Warbreaker and love it. It is unlike anything you've ever read.

P.S. Lightsong is made of awesome.
Rob
Executive Summary: While not among my favorite books by Brandon Sanderson, I still really enjoyed it, which may say more about my love for Brandon Sanderson’s books than it does about the book itself.

Full Review
Cool Magic system? check.
Interesting world building? check.
Easy to read? check.

So at first blush this is a typical Brandon Sanderson novel. However this one isn’t nearly as polished as his Stormlight Archive books, nor as fun as his Mistborn books. That said, I still really enjoyed it. M
Rabindranauth
Warbreaker is fantasy as only Brandon Sanderson can write it.

An uneasy truce exists between the kingdoms of Idris and Halladren, held together by the signing of a treaty decades ago. As a term of the treaty, a princess of Idris must marry the God King of Halladren, to sire his heir. It has been decided that Siri will marry Susebron to maintain the treaty. In this world, when men die brave deaths, they can be reborn, where they are worshipped as gods in Halladren. Lightsong is one such god. Unfor
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the second (and better) book I've read by Mr. Sanderson (the first being his first installment in the eternally continuing saga of the Wheel of Time). My rating on it went back and forth throughout the volume, but I finally settled on a 4. It is an enjoyable book and despite being (what I find) overly wordy with quite a bit of unnecessary dialogue it picks up and finally gets down to business.

The magic system in this book is probably one reason for a lot of the dialogue it's generated as
David Sven
Excellent magic system using a combination of breath and colour (Biochroma) to bring objects to life. Not as complex and detailed as Allomancy in Mistborn but still interesting and well explained and was definitely the star of the show for me. I would have liked to have learned a lot more about the magic.

The plot and characters were pretty simple. For the first quarter of the book I thought this was just going to be another version of Elantris - with two city main states near war, a political m
Ashley
I always forget how much reading a Brandon Sanderson fantasy book ruins me for other books. All I want to do is read more Brandon Sanderson. Still, this one wasn't my favorite of his. The ending was a little rushed, and there was some stuff I would have liked more resolution on. Because of that, holding off on a full five stars. I know what five star Sanderson books are like, so there'a standard to meet now. Still, this is a really fun book and I really, really liked it.

[4.5 stars]
Alexa
Re-read this one in June 2014 with two awesome ladies: Robin and Athena!

Warbreaker doesn't feel as polished as Mistborn: The Final Empire or The Stormlight Archive, and that is a shame, because the idea behind this book is simply amazing.

Seriously, how does Sanderson comes up with all this?? The man is like an endless stream of magic systems, religious believes and awesome characters!

I loved Lightsong The Bold. He will be forever in my list of favorite characters. I loved the way he refuses to
Chris
I really struggled with this rating. It probably deserves 5 stars. This is a situation where Sanderson is his own enemy - the Mistborn books were better than this one, so get the higher rating. Warbreaker is very good, but not quite as good as those. This is certainly a case of Sanderson setting the bar way up high with Mistborn, so that work after that has a hard time reaching the standards he set.

But that aside, this one definitely rates 4.5 stars. Maybe 4.75.

I love the system of magic. It's
Susan
Ah, what to say about this book. I did enjoy it. I liked or loved the characters. And I would read it again. Yet I have a hard time giving it 5 stars.

There are 3 story lines, each interesting enough to hold my attention. However, about three quarters of the way through I began to wonder if two of the story lines weren't kind of marching in place waiting for the third (my favorite one) to catch up. I will add this: There was a 'gotcha' in this book that really got me good. I went back over it twi
Alex Ristea
A Sanderson novel through and through.

Excellent magic (I feel as though that's a given these days), neat and functional world-building, and the workman's prose I've come to love.

It's a solid effort, though you can tell that it's an early book since the writing is good, but nothing special.

My favourite parts were the characters, who I thought had satisfying arcs, and the tight use of POV to show contrast and build up tension between them.

OK, just kidding, my real favourite part of this book (and
Franco
Bueno, sí, realmente es increíble. Sanderson es un genio. Lo digo, lo reafirmo y lo reconfirmo con cada libro que leo de él.

Excelente libro. Imposible soltarlo una vez empezado. Personajes muy bien desarrollados. Una trama de mucho misterio y fantasía de la buena. Dioses, incógnitas, secretos, conspiraciones y por qué no un poco de amor. Me encantó.
-¿Sabes qué me interesa?
-¿Qué?
-La gente. Me interesa la gente. Sobre todo la gente que no actúa como se supone que debe actuar. La gente que me sor
Kaora
Good. I finished it. Now maybe I can get some sleep and not spend all night reading. :)
Rose
This is the first high fantasy novel I've read since my college days, and it's beautiful. I stopped reading high fantasy because I got tired of each and every SINGLE one being a direct rip-off of Tolkien's trilogy (ask me what I think about "The Sword of Shannara" sometime!).

But this is no rip-off. This is that most amazing, most rarest of things: an *original* high fantasy novel. I still can't quite get over it.

There's no quest for some sacred artifact. There's no quest at ALL, in fact; the ac
Armina

My first finished read for 2014 shines with five colorful BioChromatic* stars. I'm beyond happy that my reading year has started so great!

Sanderson can tell a tale. And because it is Sanderson we have another excellent magic system using a combination of *breath and colour to bring entities to life and make them perform all manner of miracles and mischief. It's not so spectacular, complex and detailed as Allomancy in Mistborn but still very interesting, beautiful and far more close to my liking.
Stefan
I don't like writing negative reviews about authors I admire, so I'm going to keep this short. I think Brandon Sanderson is a talented writer with a great feel for fantasy world-building. He's a good guy - I read his blog and, well, anyone who recommends that people buy his books in independent bookstores is okay by me. I'm glad he got selected to complete Jordan's Wheel of Time because I think his style is compatible with Jordan's (from what little I've read of WoT at least) and it'll gain him ...more
Allison
This is the first Brandon Sanderson book I read. I chose it because it was a standalone, it was on sale, and I wanted to take the measure of the guy who was finishing the Wheel of Time.

I loved it. It's full of political intrigue, characters to care about, and wonderful magic. Sanderson is truly one of the most imaginative authors I've read. It was well-written, which was such a relief after all the duds I'd been reading. My hopes for the WoT ending were fully revived.

At the end of the book, my
[Name Redacted]
A good book, better than some of his others. It's almost like he took Elantris and refined the core concepts, then added in some elements from Tigana (I was reading the two at the same time and honestly started getting them confused). Unfortunately, the magic-system is never fully realized, the ending (as in so many Sanderson books) is weak, and the setting is barely explored (it takes place in a jungle, but they only ever refer to that in passing!). 3 stars, but it could have been so much bette ...more
Nicholas
Review to come. I'm blown away.
Giovanna
Dec 26, 2014 Giovanna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Giovanna by: Lys
Shelves: favorites
“War is far worse. At least where politics is going on, there are
usually nice hors d’oeuvres.”

Aaand...Brandon did it again! So...really I don't think you expect a review from me when it comes to this book. I guess it's widely known that I can't review Sanderson's books. I end up saying that they are cool a hundred times and little more. But truth is his books are that COOL. (Here I said it, it was predictable, really.)
Anyway, I've read seven books by Sanderson this year and I loved all of them.
Read Runners: January 2015 Reads - Warbreaker 97 45 14 hours, 37 min ago
Where's the second (and third and...) one? 3 45 Jan 06, 2015 08:45AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson 3 8 Jan 02, 2015 11:21AM
Sanderson Cosmere: (DISCUSSION) Warbreaker 27 18 Nov 20, 2014 02:36PM
Spoilers / Have some questions about Warbreaker 4 66 Jul 25, 2014 11:24AM
Denth's hair 3 64 Jun 10, 2014 12:07PM
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13)
  • Feast of Souls (The Magister Trilogy, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Legio
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Warbreaker (2 books)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) Elantris (Elantris, #1)

“Mocking a woman is like drinking too much wine. It may be fun for a short time, but the hangover is hell.” 468 likes
“Unknowing ignorance is preferable to informed stupidity.” 218 likes