Start by marking “Affair” as Want to Read:
Affair

Affair

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  5,077 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Charlotte Arkendale knew all there was to know about men. After all, she'd made a career out of steering marriage-minded women away from untrustworthy members of the opposite sex.

Yet nothing could have prepared her for Baxter St. Ives--an arresting stranger too daring, too determined, too dangerous to be her new man-of-affairs. Still, perhaps he was the perfect person to h
Published April 28th 2010 by Bantam (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Affair

LibraryLass
Feb 06, 2008 LibraryLass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, re-read, 2008, 2010, 2011
As always, another very satisfying read from this author. When I am in a reading funk I always turn to AQ for a story that will cheer me and get me back in the zone. Love her writing to pieces.
Daniella
Jul 01, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My feelings for Ms. Amanda Quick's Affair hovered dangerously close to dislike at certain points in the story, but somehow, something--my loyalty to the author, perhaps?--kept me from actually going to that "I-Could-Care-Less-About-This-Awful-Book" zone.

There were so many things wrong with the story that prevented me from liking it. There was no chemistry at all between Charlotte and Baxter. I could not, for the life of me, believe in their love. It felt forced and out of place, because wheneve
Pepa
3.5

La historia me ha gustado y, creo que de los tres que he leído de esta autora, la trama es la que más me ha mantenido en suspense... sabía por donde iban a ir los tiros, pero no los motivos y al final todo queda bastante aclarado.
He de decir que la culpa la tiene la autora,hace poco terminé uno de ella y como todos siguen el mismo esquema, conocer al asesino no resulta demasiado complicado.
La pega que les pongo siempre a estas novelas es que el amor se relega a un segundo plano y yo, ante tod
Pamela Shropshire
This is my favorite of all Jayne Ann Krentz's (aka Amanda Quick) books. Once again she has written a compelling female lead, but in this case, I find the hero - a geeky scientist! - equally fascinating!

Charlotte Arkendale is strong, intelligent and resourceful. She invented a career to support herself and her younger sister after their stepfather squandered their money. It is through her career that she meets Baxter.

Baxter is the illegitimate son of a earl; his father put him in charge of the fa
Aarann
Nothing out of the ordinary for Amanda Quick. Certainly not bad, especially in comparison to her other books, but all-in-all, sort of "meh" for me.

I'm normally a fan of the nerdy hero trope, but in this case, Baxter came off as more uninteresting than he should have. The guy was a bastard (by birth, not by personality) of an earl and had to contend with a younger half-brother who inherited what should have been his birthright and the brother's step-mother, not to mention a bunch of very interest
Annette
Mar 21, 2014 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Amanda Quick's writing. She writes of strong women who know their own minds and have a plan for life. Her heroes are patient men who learn to deal with those women and enjoy every minute. And along with the mystery and the romance there is always humor. This reader loves her humor.

Charlotte has developed a business that will support herself and her younger sister. She does background checks on future husbands of wealthy women. She has found a niche and learned to make the most of t
Maqluba
Read this one for the romance rather than the mystery cuz it took me two minutes to figure it out and even if I had not figured to out it wasn't that fun. The romance on the other-hand was a lot of fun. He's a nerdy chemist who's blunt and has no time or need to pay attention to society rules and decorum. She's a tough investigator who just wants to solve the murder of her client and hire a bodyguard. She's also the only one in the world, it seems, that sees the man behind the glasses.. Even whe ...more
Cyn
Oct 21, 2008 Cyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like romance, and don't mind a bot of naughty!
Shelves: fiction
Here's another of those books I had to read for school. A "read a book you usually wouldn't" title, and this is one of those regency bodice-rippers that actually turned out to be a bit of fun. Here's why...
Charlotte is one of those poor Regency-era women whose parents died and her inheritance was squandered by her stepfather. However, Charlotte has made due by skipping the social scene and raising her younger sister by starting her own "dating service" of sorts- she investigates prospective suit
Tracy
I so love anything that Jayne Ann Krentz writes. I don't normally read historical romance but Quick has a way of writing it and I just couldn't put it down. Her writing is always so beautiful and it flows elegantly.

Charlotte and her sister, Ariel is left with nothing once their mother dies and their stepfather spends all of their inheritance. On one fateful night a stranger is brought into her home so that her sister can pay off the debt that her stepfather incurs from gambling. Charlotte uses h
Deepthy
Aug 23, 2011 Deepthy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like all of Amanda Quick's books, not for their plot however. Actually not even for the romance (though some of them are quite interesting!) I read them for their characters. They're refreshingly unique and odd. Okay, may be the word unique isn't the most accurate one to use... But it's like one of Nora Roberts books - You know how the plot is going to be and you KNOW it's going to be a happy ending. You can even predict the things about which the characters will pick a fight about -_- BUT. Th ...more
Bobbie O'keefe
Jan 22, 2012 Bobbie O'keefe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahh. Of all the pseudonyms of Jayne Ann Krentz, I enjoy the Amanda Quick novels the most. Her characters are so well developed that they just about walk off the page. Her depiction of early London and the Ton, and how impolite and hypocritical Polite Society actually was, rings true. I also enjoy the tidbits of information she passes along: i.e., "direction" was the term for address.

And I thoroughly enjoy the romantic liaisons: The heroine is most often inexperienced but she puts on a good show,
Maria
Charlotte Arkendale is an early private investigator who works solely for women. Baxter St. Ives is a chemist, somewhat rumpled and uncivil but very focused. They join forces to solve a murder, which catapults them into some wonderful escapades. The misdirection and misunderstandings between the two are delightful as they learn to work together and more. This one occurs in Regency England (I think, mainly because of the references to Byron, but that could happen later, too) but captures more of ...more
BuDom
Feb 10, 2010 BuDom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Amanda Quicks stories. Quick is really good at weaving actual traits of real people in to her characters. The plots and mysteries are easly solved, but the real joy is seeing how her characters choose to involve themselves in the farcas. The love stories always compell me because of the real life misunderstandings between males and females come into play. This type of confusion and misunderstanding can happen even for a married couple when both parties don't communicate well. All in all i ...more
Lavendersbluegreen
Another fav author... love all her stuff in all her incarnations. This is a great story. Imagine being a woman in a time where your rights, privileges, and even movements are proscribed by society. Then consider making your own way in the world while caring for a younger sibling by forming a business to investigate men for other women contemplating marriage. There is alchemy, a mystery, odd coincidence, and the chemistry of romance... sigh
ms bookjunkie
*happy sigh* These vintage AQs make me so happy. For me, they're full of good memories of reading and rereading them. I love their tone…Regency-ish, fun, happy, light, snappy, and heartwarming… with intelligent, independent heroines and strong, staid-ish heroes who can't resist them. *warm fuzzies*

(Please note, because the memories are so much a part of my reading experience, I don't know if I'd enjoy them as much if I read them for the first time today.)
Cynthia Pratt
Jan 26, 2017 Cynthia Pratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to take a break in my Amanda Quick readathon and it was a good thing. Once I came back to this book after 4 months off I devoured it and it was wonderful. Its great to read about older people who know something of the world and have strengths and weaknesses.
Lara
Oct 13, 2011 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-2012, 2017
Well, this book was entertaining, if somewhat more unrealistic than the others. I hadn't read it yet, and was pleased that some of the typical scenes that show up in the author's historicals were not present here. Or, they were modified in some way.
Anne
Mar 30, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-books
This is one book I read again and again. It's just classic Amanda Quick and I love the story and characters. Nothing new, nothing earth shattering, but as comfy as an old sweater. This is a fun place to start if you're new to her work. B+
Beverly Temporal
It started out at least a four. But, it kind of fell a little for me. But, I generally enjoy Amanda Quick aka Jane Anne Krentz mysteries. They don't get too ominous like JD. Robb. So overall, it was entertaining.

Amy
Jan 31, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've actually read this numerous times, but decided to borrow a copy through ILL from my local library and listen to it.
LibraryLass
One of my favourites by this author. Re-read no. 4

Original review: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Caz
Jul 09, 2013 Caz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, I think. More detailed review to follow at some point.
Lynne
May 28, 2014 Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I periodically reread this. I ADORE THESE CHARACTERS.
Shirlene
Charlotte Arkendale didn't know what had caused her to wake up. She and her sister, Ariel, were living with their stepfather, Winterbourne. It was late and she heard a noise in the hall. She listened carefully and overheard a conversation between her stepfather and someone else. She found an unloaded gun and listened carefully. It seemed that her stepfather owed this person a great deal of money and he was repaying the debt by allowing this person to rape her fourteen year-old sister. Charlotte ...more
Jan
Jul 14, 2017 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
After the murder of her step-father who had left them penniless, Charlotte Arkendale earns her living by investigating the history and character of ladies’ prospective beaux. Not every potential husband/liaison is honest about his history, prospects, and kinks.

When one of her clients is murdered, the investigative eye is turned on Charlotte. Perhaps she had something to do with Drusilla Heskett’s brutal death.

Drusilla’s friend, Lady Trengloss, is certain that Charlotte Arkendale killed her fri
Maike
Dec 08, 2016 Maike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad.

Well, the book is alright.
To me, I couldn't quite bond with the characters and found them a bit shallow.
Nevertheless the story is quite entertaining! Not a bad read but not a particularly good one either.
I felt that even the dialogue was a bit flat. The characters repeated themselves quite often.
And if I read one more "Bloody Hell".......
For those who care about this: There are a few sex scenes, they are descriptive but not very long.
Andrea
May 04, 2017 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read.
Amber
Jul 13, 2017 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
okay for Aayesha
Claudia Segal
Another good "listen" while weaving and sewing.
Jackie
Nov 12, 2016 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a very enjoyable romantic mystery. Light reading.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Affair (1997) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:21PM
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

“that were not the case. Unfortunately, there is” 0 likes