Start by marking “Music for Landing Planes By: Poems” as Want to Read:
Music for Landing Planes By: Poems

Music for Landing Planes By: Poems

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In these edgy, elegant poems, Éireann Lorsung seeks balance in her world between the need for permanence and the heady seductiveness of the moment. Her intuitive knowledge of poetic form (line breaks, enjambment, repetition, punctuation) and her strong poetic voice channel some of the genre’s greats while remaining distinctive. From the prayer-like musicality of “All Throu ...more
Published February 21st 2007 by Milkweed Editions

To ask other readers questions about Music for Landing Planes By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music for Landing Planes By

Mia
Sep 09, 2010 Mia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I think I'd like to be friends with this woman.
Theghostis
Jun 05, 2008 Theghostis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to believe in the power of beauty in the world
Recommended to Theghostis by: http://theglassdoorknob.blogspot.com
Youth and poetry are usually synonymous in a negative way. But Eireann Lorsung is a young poet who writes about youth and makes you want to stay young and filled with feeling. Too few people allow themselves to feel these days. And a poet without feeling is a sad thing. This book provides hope that heart still exists in the world.
Black Elephants
This was a very satisfactory collection of poems by Eireann Lorsung. The collection reminded my of a musical montage. You know how the singer will be in an apartment in New York then step through a door and enter Paris? Something similar here but more poetic, quiet and aware of the common.

The work didn't blow me away. I walked away from it without much of a recollection of what I read. But while I was there, I enjoyed myself.

"Music for Landing Planes By

We drive Highway Q with no lights.

Millions
Kasey Jueds
It's a joy to find a new poet whose work you love: the best sort of unexpected gift. And I did love this book, whose author I hadn't heard of before. Beautiful, precise, often very tactile images and language; each poem takes surprising imaginative leaps but still maintains an emotional spine--something that's so important to me and which very non-linear poems often seem to lack. In other words, poems "like this" sometimes feel to me like a bunch of cool-but-random images just plonked down next ...more
Lisa
i am not a poetry person. really. i think this might be the only poetry book i have read from cover to cover.
the language, the humanity, the lyricalness of the prose is exactly what poetry should be in my mind. i am much looking forward to Ms. Lorsung's forthcoming book.
Heid E.
Nominated for a Minnesota Book Award. These poems are peaceful, slightly quirky. Sometimes they unravel a bit, but only to open the weave. A lovely first book!
A K
"i leave each room/and the room again is perfect"
& "how my name came to america" is the loveliest poem
Shannon
Aug 20, 2007 Shannon marked it as to-read
this is by the same press that er is doing a book cover for so I like it on spec.
Misha
[I want moar.]
Arnout Droesbeke
Arnout Droesbeke marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Vincent Cellucci
Vincent Cellucci is currently reading it
Nov 29, 2014
Renee
Renee added it
Nov 14, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Samira Trimas
Samira Trimas marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Michelle Bailat-Jones
Michelle Bailat-Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Sigrun Hodne
Sigrun Hodne marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Noreen
Noreen marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013