Start by marking “Dead Hot Shot” as Want to Read:
Dead Hot Shot

Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery #9)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Ninth in the Loon Lake Mysteries

Murder never takes a holiday... or so Loon Lake learns one wintry Thanksgiving Day. Chief of Police Lew Ferris, short-handed thanks to an AWOL coroner, never even gets the turkey stuffed before the bodies start to surface. By the end of the day, credit card theft and dysfunctional families have so muddied the waters that not even expert tra

Published (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Hot Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Hot Shot

Elizabeth
Totally addicted to Victoria Houston books. All the characters are like old friends. Going to head to Loon Lake this summer!!!!!
Patricia
It’s Thanksgiving Eve and Nolan Reece is giving an engagement party for her daughter, Blue. Pleased with the party, she takes her nightly stroll down to the dock. Since Nolan has managed to blackmail her only child, a child she has hated since before her birth, into becoming engaged to a man she does not love, she is actually feeling exceptionally pleased with herself.

And being more than a little inebriated, she cannot react quickly to the sounds in the brush that shouldn’t be there. A hard blo
Patricia
Thanksgiving is a holiday for family and friends, relaxing after dinner, and just all around good food and fun. Chief of Police Lew Ferris plans for a peaceful Thanksgiving with Doc Osborne, retired dentist and part time deputy. Doc plans for an early dinner with his family and then a later a leisurely dinner with Lew and hopefully dessert in front of the fire and thoughts of future plans.

First, the death of a local resident intervenes. Nolan Reece is found dead down by her dock early on Thanksg
Kitty Tomlinson
Thanksgiving is ruined for Doc and the gang when a socialite is murdered during her daughter's engagement party. Good read.
Ann
Another light mystery set in the northwoods of Wisconsin.
Grey853
Lisa
Ms. Houston came to do an author chat in my hometown library. She was very nice, fun, and answered questions...even the obnoxious guy in the second rown who told her that, while her first books were sort of "rough," he could tell she'd improved a lot. Note to self: laugh and say thank you, even while turning red.

I forgot that I had already read this one, but I probably would have purchased it anyway.
sarg
Just finished "Dead Hot Shot" by Victoria Houston
Gave it 3 1/2 stars
This is a "Murder she Wrote ", kind of Murder mystery . The main character is a female police chief Named Lewellen in a small Minnesota resort town. Her sidekick is a retired dentist Named Osborne. A quick easy read with a simple plot, greed,jealousy ,murder.
Debra
This series has such wonderful characters and place sense. I don't understand why more folks don't read it. I neither fly fish nor know Wisconsin, yet I feel comfortable in her world. (Well, except for the murders...) On the other hand, a fisherman acquaintance of mine says that she has gotten it just right.
Chuck Heikkinen
A rich woman dies at her cabin in Loon Lake under suspicious circumstances. The police chief, Lew Ferris and her friend Doc Osborne sort it out.
Kathleen
While this is my introduction to this author, I discovered this is the ninth book in a series about Loon Lake in Wisconsin. I liked the maturity of the characters, the twists of the plot and the author's appreciation of a part of the country I know little about.
Susan
Part of the Loon Lake Mystery Series- this is my first read. Based in northwoods Wisconsin so insiders can chuckle at her jokes a bit more than those with no history in the area. Fairly good plot.
Alice
I am loving Houston's novels this summer. They make me feel like I'm home in northern Wisconsin even though I am not there this summer. A great escape and well written mystery!!
Jan
Loon Lake is a rich bite of larger than life characters, budding later in life relationships, and engaging puzzles to be solved. This installment was a good one.
Sue
V. Houston's newest Loon Lake (N. WI) mystery was perhaps her best. If you like N. WI, fishing, small town mysteries - this series is great!
Kel
Credit card theft and dysfunctional families lead the mysteries. It never seems to be warm in Loon Lake, but it's always interesting.
Hilde Henkel
Houston captures the eccentricities and attitudes of the Wisconsin I love. I don't even fish, but love the north world outlook!
Mary
I read this book for my book club. It is a quick read, but very simplistic...not much suspence or intrigue.
Julie
Another great mystery with the retired dentist and Sheriff Lew full of much love for fishing as well.
Kcduecker
I HAVE READ ALL HER LOON LAKE MYSTERIES AND LIKE THEM ALL. KEN IS EVEN READING THEM.
Jeffrey
not very compelling. nice that it takes place in northern wisconsin. ok story
Deanne
Fun to read because of locale. But sort of short sided in plot.
Patricia
The best Loon Lake Mystery yet and I've liked them all.
I really enjoy the Loon Lake Mysteries
Sheryl
I enjoy this series.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
  • Maiden Rock (Claire Watkins, #6)
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Murder Trims the Tree (A Gertie Johnson Christmas Novella)
  • The Beverly Malibu (Kate Delafield, #3)
  • El Gavilan
  • The Nail Knot (Fly Fishing Mysteries)
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • Thanksgiving
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Speak of the Devil
  • The Raven and the Nightingale (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #3)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • Threadbare (A Needlecraft Mystery,#15)
  • Yellow Medicine (Billy Lafitte, #1)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • Doubleback (Georgia Davis, #2)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER fourteenth in the series, will be published in June 2014 in hardcover, trade paperback and as an eBook from Tyrus Books. The mysteries are set in t ...more
More about Victoria Houston...
Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1) Dead Creek Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11) Dead Tease (A Loon Lake Mystery, #12) Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)