Start by marking “Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life

Introduction to Buddhism: An Explanation of the Buddhist Way of Life

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
We all have the potential for self-transformation, and a limitless capacity for the growth of good qualities, but to fulfill this potential we need to know what to do along every stage of our spiritual journey. With this book, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso offers us step-by-step guidance on the meditation practices that will lead us to lasting inner peace and happiness. With extrao ...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 202 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Tharpa Publications (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Buddhism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Buddhism

Monica Casanova
Jan 27, 2014 Monica Casanova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful book to begin your journey in exploring Buddhism. The author has written a multitude of books on this aspect of spirituality. The most important detail about this book is that it does not push any beliefs onto the reader. It does not make claims that this is the only way and that you MUST follow this way. It's a very open and informative way to look at Buddhism. This book begins with a brief history on Buddha and his story. Much emphasis is placed on the fact that Buddha ...more
Gemma
Nov 16, 2014 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I enjoy learning about other cultures and religions but near the end of this book it became quite hard going for someone who isn't Buddhist or religious. Glad I read it though. My past idea of Buddhism is much different to the reality from reading this.
Jane
Mar 10, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much, it gave me a much better insight into who buddah was as well as their thoughts about what it means to be a buddhist. In this explanation of the Buddhists way I was able to understand past and future lives, along with receiving a clear idea about karma and clarity on meditation... which by the way is why I bought the book in the first place. During this read I learned about the path to enlightenment, thankfuly this also made sense to me.

This wonderful intoduction t
Mohita
Sep 03, 2013 Mohita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometime few months ago, i was intensely passionate about Buddhism, the reason: The wheel of karma, and meditation, I believed in both these arts.
My father is an avid fan of yoga and meditation, having done almost few forms of yoga and meditation such as Art of Living, a 10 day course of complete silence and solitary meditating , i went on to do the same thing and realized that all of those are a form of Buddhism, though I am not a Buddhist, I prefer following Buddhism, because of the peace it b
Tim
Apr 05, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This was an important book for me, because I eventually became a student and member of this tradition, the New Kadampa Tradition of Buddhism. The author of this is the founder of this organization, adn he is a Tibetan Buddhist monk who moved to England, split from the main Gelugpa tradition, and began his own. On first encountering this dharma, I was struck by its analysis of the endless struggle of ordinary human life, and this conformed with my views. It went deeper than other religious teachi ...more
Kunden Kelsang
Jan 26, 2015 Kunden Kelsang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is written very clearly and simply with examples and stories. It has a gentle tone and is very inspiring. It gives us the confidence to be the best person that we can be.
Kevin Tuttle

Good overview of "religious" Buddhism, Lamrim, and the New Kadampa tradtiion.
Jul 15, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great intro text. Told in simple, fable-like story form, so it's easy to follow. Some of the new vocabulary might be difficult to remember throughout the book, but overall, a great format for an intro text. The audio CD is read well and includes a few Very simple guided meditations at the end.
Ana
Started attending sessions at a Buddhist Center on 1.16.11 and after nit finding the book we are following (Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion & Wisdom by same author) I decided to pick this one up and give myself a crash course before my next session.

So far, (pg 85) I have mixed feelings although I am trying to absorb the good and what I understand clearly and can relate to. As for the things that I don't agree with or understand, I am making a note of them without further judgement.
Rowan Saker
Good book though not much of an 'introduction'.
Seems too in depth on some points and vague one others for someone who is at the beginning of finding out about Buddhism.

Would recommend another book instead for beginners.
Jacqueline
Jun 06, 2011 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A basic primer on Buddhism. An approachable, easy read... I've come to look forward to the few peaceful moments I spend with this before bed. The gentle and service-based nature of Buddhism (I'm not sure whether to call it a philosophy or religion) is what attracted me in the first place and the fundamental concepts as presented in this book seem straightforward. I was searching for a place to start to familiarize myself and wavered between other options before choosing this. I'll be looking for ...more
DJ Rolemodel (Randell)
12.9.10 - 1.13.11
Katie
Aug 31, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- Filled with lovely quotes
- Provides prayers

I really enjoyed learning about Buddhism. This was my first read about it and I felt that this is a brilliant book to start with.

The writing style is very easy to understand with little jargon.

This introductary book has wanted me to further my studies in Buddhism.
I will more than likely look into more of Kelsang's books.
Sarah Monro
Oct 10, 2012 Sarah Monro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent introduction to Buddhism for anyone who is curious about the religion.
It takes you through the key ideas and philosophies quite quickly and I admit I got lost about 3/4 of the way through. In the end I skim read the remaining chapter and appendices. The glossary is especially helpful and probably best read in small chunks so key ideas can be taken on-board and digested. This is a book I will probably re-read several times.
Trinity
I was looking for more explanation.
Peter
Jul 02, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having already read a basic book describing the structure and principles of Buddhism (Teach Yourself Buddhism), I was much more prepared for Introduction to Buddhism. In this work, Gyatso delves into the actual philosophy and lifestyle of Buddhism in a simple explanatory manner that is most accessible. It's an excellent introduction that may as it did me, cause you to reevaluate and chep change your path.
Andrea
Nov 22, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book presents Buddhism as a religion where you pray to Buddhas (yes, multiple) and risk being reincarnated as a hungry spirit if you so much as slap and kill a mosquito in anger. Kind of creepy. It is a rather misleading introduction to Buddhism in my humble opinion.
Tiffany
Feb 29, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is a very well written book on Buddhism. I work slowly at reading this so that I may fully understand this particular writer. My husband loves this writer and follows the path of this particular individual in his meditation practice.
Nm Boi
Dec 27, 2009 Nm Boi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
just started reading this....Hopefully can get it read by the 11th when school starts again. Just interested in the concepts of this religion. Peace can never be a bad thing to have in your heart and mind.
Arika
Nov 06, 2007 Arika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE
Great Book.
I have read it many times over, seems the more you read this book the more things you discover.
This is a book you should take your time with, sit and really think deeply...
Christopher Wood
This is a great short book if you just want to learn what Buddhism is all about. Not to in depth and it is not written with the intent of converting you. Interesting read.
Aelis
Jan 16, 2009 Aelis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book, particularly for anyone who is interested in learning about Buddhism but isn't quite sure where to start. :)
Jessica Palmer
Feb 20, 2010 Jessica Palmer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is enlightening, I read it before I go to bed and it kind of helps me feel a little bit more peaceful after a crazy day.
Becky
Feb 19, 2010 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book gave me a strange impression of Buddhism. I read other buddhist books that I liked a LOT better.
Paulette Ponte
Jul 15, 2014 Paulette Ponte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
somewhat complex but really a good introduction. I wish I could always practice what it preaches.
Jill
Jun 30, 2013 Jill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book from my aunt's center. Definatly one of the most peaceful places in LA.
Jason Navallo
Nov 18, 2014 Jason Navallo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that really "breaks-down" the religion nicely for anyone to understand!
Jul 23, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Nice introductory book to the new kadampa tradition but it only teases the palate.
Kylie Martin
Aug 12, 2011 Kylie Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
bought this to get an insight into buddhism. covers a lot but is very hard going to read
Joseph
Jun 13, 2012 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great place to start for those interested in Buddhism.
  • The Essential Dalai Lama: His Important Teachings
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand: A Concise Discourse on the Path to Enlightenment
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go: Reflections on the Teachings of Zen Master Lin Chi
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • No Time to Lose: A Timely Guide to the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • The Buddha and His Teachings
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully accomplished meditation master and internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, particularly know for the revival of the Kadampa school of Tibet.

From the age of eight Geshe-la studied extensively in the great monastic universities of Tibet and earned the title ‘Geshe’, which literally means ‘spiritual friend’. Under the guidance of his Spiritual Guide, Ky
More about Kelsang Gyatso...