Start by marking “The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  65 reviews
From the sarcastic to the suggestive, here are quotation marks as we love them best, doing horrible damage to the English language. Who wouldn't have second thoughts about ordering the "hamburger" on the diner's menu? Would it be best to skip the "blowout" sale at the department store? What hidden price must be paid for something marked "free"? Assembled by the creator of ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Chronicle Books (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

PostSecret by Frank WarrenA Lifetime of Secrets by Frank WarrenPostSecret by Frank WarrenMy Secret by Frank WarrenPassive Aggressive Notes by Kerry Miller
Found, Submitted
18th out of 53 books — 29 voters
Alice in Tumblr-land by Tim ManleyHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshCake Wrecks by Jen YatesDamn You, Autocorrect! by Jillian MadisonSh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern
You've seen the blog. Now read the book!
6th out of 32 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Lavoie
I bought this book because I thought it would be funny to have in my classroom, and I figured I might find some examples that would make the kids not only laugh, but teach them. There were some times I was so hysterical reading the book and seeing the silly marks put that I had to put the book down or risk dropping it. I don't know if I was just in a silly mood from the heat of if it was genuinely that funny. I did enjoy it though, and I know some students will also think it funny. There are man ...more
Kricket
full disclosure- i grew up with the author of this book and i've been reading her blog for several years, so i already knew i'd "like" this "book." (sorry. i know. everyone's doing that.) anyway, the material here really isn't different from that on the blog, but it's fun to read in print. bethany's commentary made me laugh so hard that the other people in the break room made me pass the book around, and then we were all "dying."

only slightly related tangent:
i think the concept of blogs publish
oriana
Aug 14, 2010 oriana marked it as to-read
Aw, if only I still worked in a bookstore where I could "steal" books. Because I'd love to have this book in my bathroom, but it's not really very likely I would ever exchange money for that "privilege," you know?
Margie
So "good". I'm not sure which I like better - the photos or the snarky comments that accompany the photos.
Evan Ponstingle
The funniest book I have ever read. I have NEVER read through this without laughing!
Spoonbridge
Another book "iteration" of a humorous blog featuring "user" submitted material gathered from the wide weird "world." In this case, "unnecessary" quotation marks, which to me are a particularly funny brand of grammatical weirdness that pops up "frequently" in the wild on daily life. The placement of the "humble" quotation marks in an otherwise commonplace statement such as an ad for "handmade" candy (to give an example I saw personally just yesterday) can open up so much interpretation. Is it ac ...more
Julie
I almost wake up my husband while reading this book in bed. So many chuckles.
Shonna Froebel
This is one of those short, humorous books that have you chuckling as you read. As a lover of words, grammar and punctuation, I was naturally drawn to this one.
It includes photos of signs with quotation marks in, surprise surprise, unnecessary places. Keeley groups them into categories like "Work", "Restaurants", etc. and a short comment is included with each one.
It really does make you wonder what goes through people's heads when they are making these signs. It also reflects sadly on our educat
Nan
Apr 28, 2014 Nan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Lots of "fun" for punctuation nerds.
Katie Rowe
Love this book! Hilarious for teachers!
This book is "hilarious".
Amber
I'm always willing to read a book that makes fun of punctuation errors! This book was so funny, and is definitely worth reading if you are constantly wondering why people use quotation marks for emphasis. This is a coffee table type of book, great for a quick amusing glance. I found the humour hilarious and sardonic. This would be an excellent gift for an English teacher or someone with a particular pet peeve for misused quotation marks.
Rachel
Wondermous in entertainment value. Tragic in regards to reality.
Marzena
Do you know what blog posts tend to do? They tend to do dull books. Especially if the book repeats the posts.

I came for fun and what I got was a twichy eye and quiet whimpering of my inner grammarian. Remarks aside, do these photos really make you laugh? Cause I'd rather cry at these poor souls who didn't bother to pay attention at school. And then possibly I'd toss a book at them.
Mystry
Jun 13, 2014 Mystry rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grammar Police with a sense of humor
I found this book for a dollar at Half-Price Books. I noticed it was published by Chronicle Books, and as I love the quirky things they put out had to buy it. Definitely worth a dollar as it gave me quite a few good chuckles. Every page has a full-color picture along with a little blurb. Some of the places people have decided to use quotation marks... "yikes".
Halli
I'm always willing to read a book that makes fun of punctuation errors! This book was so funny, and is definitely worth reading if you are constantly wondering why people use quotation marks for emphasis. The signs alone would make for an entertaining read, but the author's comments are what make this book truly worthwhile. My cheeks still hurt from laughing!
Aubrey
The criteria for books like this is simple - provide a few laugh out loud moments with plenty of other smirks or snickers. This book failed in all accounts. It was enjoyable, but not something I would look at again unless there were no other options. The blog the book is based off of is a perfect example of what is in the book, with nothing expanded upon.
Cherie
I really enjoyed reading this book and I liked the author's sense of humor and how it was portrayed through the comments made about each image of "creative punctuation". I loved seeing this collation of incorrect use of quotation marks and how they could be interpreted.
Bill
Jul 05, 2013 Bill rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humour
This was LOL (literally) funny but more so in small doses. I find that with a lot of humour books I numb out if I read too much at one sitting. I thought Bethany's (and friends')comments were hilarious. I don't think I was aware of the blog but will try to visit it every once in awhile now.
Kristy McRae
A must-read for anyone who's a punctuation/grammar stickler (like me!)--very funny! I loved the author's humorous, tongue-in-cheek commentary, and that she has a website, where people can submit photos of signs/etc with strange quotation mark usage.
Brigid
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Oy, I've got tears from laughing so much! OK, that's from the first 1/3 of the book. From then on, it was only a few laughs and quite a few groans.
I'd only recommend the first third of the book.
Shari
Hilarious, but not worth the $17 price tag for a hardcover. Just "stand" in the store and "read" it for "free." If this sort of thing drives you nuts, you'll love it! When is the sequel, The Book of UNNECESSARY All Caps, coming out?
Mary
Jun 05, 2011 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Angelica
Clever, good for a few minutes of chuckling. Reminds me of the time a man selling fish in New Orleans got angry at me when I pointed out that advertising your fish as "fresh", complete with quotation marks, doesn't send a great message.
Cris
A few of the photos are funny, but most of the amusement factor comes from the sarcastic, even snarky commentary.

Not quite as funny as I was hoping, but still worth the reading. It's good for short bursts of reading.
Sandy
Hilarious. The cover picture still makes me giggle, remembering the commentary on it in the book. I've been following the "blog" for ages, and was glad to see the kindle version cheap. Super-quick read, and a good laugh.
Kelley Tackett
"Jesus" is coming.
Fresh Brown "Eggs"
I love these types of books. Seriously people, if you're not sure how to use quotation marks, don't use them. It just "pisses" me off. Ha.
Carrie
I was a bit put off by the explanations of why the quotes were unnecessary. That detracted from my enjoyment of the book. But it is puzzling why the quotation mark causes such confusion.
Shannon
Misused apostrophes bother me more than misused quotation marks, but I enjoy humor books about all kinds of English errors. This one brought a few chuckles.
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • I Judge You When You Use Poor Grammar: A Collection of Egregious Errors, Disconcerting Bloopers, and Other Linguistic Slip-Ups
  • I Lick My Cheese And Other Notes: From The Frontline Of Flatsharing
  • Regretsy: The World's Oddest, Most Ridiculous, and Most Disturbing Crafts
  • Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy
  • Signspotting: Absurd and Amusing Signs from Around the World
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • Sh*t My Kids Ruined: An A-Z Celebration of Kid-Destruction
  • Damn You, Autocorrect!: Awesomely Embarrassing Text Messages You Didn't Mean to Send
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World
  • P.S. I Hate it Here: Kids' Letters from Camp
  • Milk Eggs Vodka: Grocery Lists Lost and Found
  • Texts From Last Night: All the Texts That No One Remembers Sending
  • F My Life
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong