Start by marking “Ainshutain No Bōenkyō: Saishin Tenmongaku De Miru Mienai Uchū” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Ainshutain No Bōenkyō:...

Evalyn Gates

Ainshutain No Bōenkyō: Saishin Tenmongaku De Miru Mienai Uchū

Cutting-edge astrophysics that builds on Einstein's theories to find the unseen matter that fills the Universe.

Dark energy. Dark matter. These strange and invisible substances don't just sound mysterious: their unexpected appearance in the cosmic census is upending long-held notions about the nature of the Universe. Astronomers have long known that the Universe is expandin
437 pages
Published 2009 by Hayakawa Shobō

To ask other readers questions about Ainshutain No Bōenkyō, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ainshutain No Bōenkyō

Joe
Mar 25, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
As a doe-eyed graduate-level physics student, I have this terrible habit of reading books like Einstein's Telescope and falling completely in love with a very specific subfield of science. Then I'm all like, "Oh dip Evalyn Gates I could totally get into gravitational lensing to map dark matter halos around galaxies!" and then the next week I'm all like, "I love inflationary cosmology and am now a disciple of the anthropic principle see you soon Alex Vilenkin!"

I hope you weren't looking for a re
Pierre Menard
Sep 19, 2016 Pierre Menard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lens grinder (like Spinoza)
Questo saggio di Evalyn Gates, ricercatrice in astrofisica delle particelle e cosmologia, ora direttrice del Cleveland Museum of Natural History, è veramente un eccellente esempio di divulgazione scientifica di livello elevato. I temi affrontati sono le nuove frontiere della ricerca in astronomia e cosmologia raggiunte grazie al "telescopio" di Einstein, e la caccia ai due grandi interrogativi della materia oscura e dell'energia oscura.

Il libro prende l'avvio dalla constatazione che alla domanda
Joshua
Aug 13, 2009 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At this point in time, big science is stuck in the slow lane. The glut of new theories and discoveries in high energy physics, astrophysics and cosmology which marked the twentieth century has hit a wall of foam and is barely inching its way through. The trouble plagued Large Hadron Collider won't be up to full power until the middle of the decade putting a hold on the search for the Higgs boson. String theory seems to be going nowhere and fusion power is forever twenty years in the future.

There
Emily
Whew! It took me six weeks to get through this astrophysics book. I haven't picked up a physics book since high school and was hesitant to start reading this. While this book was interesting, the subject matter was intense and I found myself re-reading sections two or three times to ensure I comprehended the concepts. Evalyn Gates does an excellent job of explaining Einstein's theories and how they are harnessing those theories to explore dark matter and dark energy.

Donovan
Mar 02, 2015 Donovan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didnt-finish
I read a bunch of reviews lauding this is an accurate and approachable work on modern physics. Accurate, yes. But drier than a bagel toasted in Hell. I got about forty pages in. Any recommendations for good books on this subject would be appreciated.
Robert
Aug 21, 2011 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally good. lost sometimes. But clarified very odd new things
Bill Desjardins
Good treatment, but uses a little too frequently over-simplified analogies to scientific concepts.
David
Oct 14, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't kept up with recent work in astronomy (as I haven't) you'll will learn a great deal from this book. There has been a revolution in cosmology in the last ten years. Did you know that "ordinary" matter only makes up 5% of the universe? Did you know that astrophysicists are discovering that our understanding of the universe is far more limited than they thought only ten years ago? Did you know that the universe consists mostly of dark energy and nobody knows what it is? It's a very e ...more
Brie
The first title of this book really says it all, 'Einsteins Telescope' is definately the subject. The subtitle 'The Hunt for Dark Matter and Dark Energy in the Universe' is covered, but it is definately not the focus of this book.

Gates starts off with a brief overview of cosmology and physics, basically what you will need to know to continue reading. She then describes Einsteins telescope, which is gravitational lensing, and its many uses, some of which happen to be discovering the presence of d
Ryan Sanders
I thoroughly enjoyed sifting through the storied history on the search for dark matter and dark energy. She steers clear of some of the more technical aspects of gravitational lensing while managing to still convey the depth of the process. I would have liked more in the technical sense when it came to some of the descriptions involving physics but for the average reader this is a great starting point. My only critique is that the material in this book is slightly dated (not the difference betwe ...more
Daniel Shawen
Jun 06, 2014 Daniel Shawen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, and the first one I have read from Evalyn Gates.

I previously had no idea that the Hubble Space Telescope was being so heavily used in order to find gravitational lensing, or the specific technology (interferometry) being used to do this.

Evidently, this particular heavy use of HST was something of an afterthought. In retrospect, it probably would have been prudent to design instruments for this express purpose. If this technique can be used to find gravitational lensing so e
James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very clear and simple introduction to the idea of gravitational lenses and the uses to which they are being put in observational astronomy. One of the most important questions in astrophysics and cosmology today is the question of what the universe is made of; the dark matter and dark energy which seem to make up the vast majority of the mass of the universe (unless our understanding of gravity needs to be revised), about which we know virtually nothing. Gates explains very well in popular, no ...more
Joe
Sep 07, 2009 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most interesting book validating the use of space to create a magnifying glass into the past by useing the most prevelant matter in the universe, "DARK MATTER". The presence of dark matter is proved by its graviational effects on time and light and this book reminds us that nothing is impossible as we are just knocking at the door of the science of minor particles and the space-time continium.

Its worth the read and is written for the non scientist as other scientists have brought us up to da
Lorileinart
Apr 10, 2010 Lorileinart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent...kept me reading for 2 long nights.
Gates perfectly illustrates where we (mankind) now stand regarding our understanding of dark matter and dark energy. I could go on about that, but who's really going to care or understand? (if you DO, by all means, msg me!)
The unexpected strength of this book, however, is the author's ability to illuminate relativity in a very accessible way. Whatever your understanding of Einstein's theories, you will come away with a greater sense of what they mean
Jean-claude
Jul 24, 2009 Jean-claude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an engrossing overview of gravitational lensing and the associated physics of dark energy and dark matter. Often books like these gloss over theory but Gates does a fantastic job of presenting enough evidence in sufficient detail to make it interesting. The fact that we don't understand what makes up most of the universe is pretty humbling and thought provoking. It certainly made my trip to the west coast seem a lot shorter.
J. D.
May 19, 2009 J. D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a layman who drew some esthetic comfort from the Big-Bang/Expansion/Contraction/Big-Crunch cosmological model, I have read reports, in the last ten or fifteen years, of the discovery of expansion-acceleration with mixed feelings. However, if one has to receive bad news, it should be as expertly and concisely delivered as possible -- and the author, an experienced reasearcher, has filled that need admirably. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Synthetic Vox
Jul 23, 2013 Synthetic Vox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-not-owned
Very lucid writing of a difficult topic. However, as others have mentioned, not very much character in the writing. Some of the chapters seemed to be add-ons, particularly the black homes and planets piece and the dark energy piece. This is mostly a book about how gravitational lensing is used to understand space. It would have been nice to have more declarative summary statements at the beginning of chapters. Worth a read, but a little dry.
Sean
Jul 27, 2011 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Exceptionally dull reading. I mean sure, it's interesting to hear about the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy, but since no one's actually seen any of it, the book is all about methods scientists are and could be using to detect it. That is, if it actually exists. Which maybe it doesn't, or at least not in the way anyone thinks it does.
Jon
Mar 28, 2009 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good survey of what's going on these days in observational astronomy (gravitational lensing), and how it connects to the search for the nature of dark mater and dark energy. With tie-ins to cosmology, string theory, and all that pencil and paper stuff. The lensing phenomenon is a novel idea and could provide some answers to those bigger mysteries. Time will tell.
Steve
Jun 07, 2011 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a highly accessible and very well written account of the search for dark matter, dark energy, and some of the other current issues in physics today. The author explains difficult concepts in everyday terms without talking down to the reader, and makes the story of the discovery of gravitational lensing interesting.
Charles
Feb 13, 2011 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, kindle
Decent book that introduced me to a subject I'd not really read about before, but missing that certain spark the best books of this type have, conveying the author's excitement about the subject to the reader.
Darrick
Jun 17, 2009 Darrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was impressed with the author's ability to make this very complex research accessible to someone with very little cosmology background! I'd say I understood about 70% of the concepts. If you have any interest in space and our universe give this book a shot.
George
May 14, 2009 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, book
Non-Fiction.
Very interesting way to explain some of Einstein's theories applied to modern equipment. It is a pretty easy read with almost no math.
Kari
Aug 10, 2010 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't pay attention enough to really appreciate this book; my interest in astronomy has temporarily been distracted by sewing and family history. So maybe I'll have to try it again some time.
Richard
Feb 29, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good explanation of where the hunt for physics now lies. Bit hard to follow, but interesting all the same.
Eric Robinson
May 23, 2011 Eric Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics, cosmology
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I knew very little about gravitational lensing before I started this book, and now realize the HUGE impact that it's had on the world of cosmology. Fantastic read.
美麗 (Ben)
This book was awesome! I really learned a lot from it, and I got my dad to read it as well. (He agrees.) I would seriously recommend it.
Johnathan Ungricht
Mar 27, 2013 Johnathan Ungricht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Evelyn Gates is extraordinarily capable of making difficult concepts easier to understand. I definitely recommend this text to all people with astronomical curiosities.
Sydney
Sydney rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Allais Effect Explanation 1 2 Dec 15, 2013 06:45AM
  • Dark Cosmos: In Search of Our Universe's Missing Mass and Energy
  • The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity
  • Programming the Universe: A Quantum Computer Scientist Takes on the Cosmos
  • About Time: Cosmology and Culture at the Twilight of the Big Bang
  • The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos
  • The Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether, and the Unification of Forces
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
  • The Edge of Physics: A Journey to Earth's Extremes to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe
  • A Tear at the Edge of Creation: A Radical New Vision for Life in an Imperfect Universe
  • Before the Big Bang: The Prehistory of Our Universe
  • The Book of Universes: Exploring the Limits of the Cosmos
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • The Cosmic Perspective
  • The Life and Death of Planet Earth: How the New Science of Astrobiology Charts the Ultimate Fate of Our World
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • Faust in Copenhagen: A Struggle for the Soul of Physics
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus