Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?

How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms? (How Do Dinosaurs...?)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,851 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The bestselling, award-winning team of Yolen and Teague present their second original dinosaur board book, a playful "how-to" tale about making a mess and then cleaning it up.

Come along for some BIG fun as your favorite dinosaurs learn to pick up and put away their toys. How do dinosaurs clean their rooms? With trash cans and dusters and brooms!
Now Jane Yolen's playful, re
Board Book, 12 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
307th out of 3,145 books — 4,697 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickWho's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward AlbeeAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeWhy Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha ChristieAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Questions, Questions...
43rd out of 159 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay Balcar
This picture book is intended for primary and possibly intermeadiate. It is a story told in rhyme about how these dinos could misbehave but how they don't and the proper way to act. The illustrations have different kinds of dinosaurs on each page and written underneath is the proper name of the dinosaur, I only wish pronunciation was in the back. This is a series of stories that teach kids manner and how to act in a fun way but by showing the bad behavior first, then how to properly behave. The ...more
Jason
I love the premise but think it could stand a bit more content. The plot was heart warming and the message was instructive but I wish they went into more cleaning detail. Overall 4 stars.
Sarah Sammis
Jane Yolen and Mark Teague have collaborated on a number of these How Do Dinosaurs... books. They have the longer format books and some board books. How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms? is a board book. It is half the length of the longer books, How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?, for example.

Jane Yolen's humor works perfectly with Mark Teague's illustrations. These books remind me a bit of the old pamphlets and propaganda that came out of the WPA. Imagine an old school reel of "How to Clean Your
Dolly
Dec 21, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: 2012, childrens, rhyming
We've read a few of the books in the How Do
Dinosaurs..."
series by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague, but our girls have outgrown these books, so I read them at the library myself.

This is a fun book that explains, with a rhyming narrative, good and bad ways to clean a room. The book is entertaining and encourages children to put toys away.
Missy
Love these books for my boys.
Kate
This is a great way to help little boys to clean up their room. The book goes through and shows the dinosaurs "cleaning" their rooms by putting toys under the bed and hiding dirty clothes. In the end the dinosaurs clean their room properly and make their parents very happy. This book is good for boys because it is a book about dinosaurs and the author puts the name of the dinosaurs within the story.
Neil Nicholson
This is a good book to for students to make text to text connections. At the begging of the story, the title question is posed. Throughout the story different dinosaurs are pictured cleaning up the right way and the wrong way, but the book ends on a good note I would recommend this book for prek through 1st grade, it seems like those students would relate to what the dinosaurs are going through.
Peter
One of James' favorites. The dinosaurs in this series are awsome, although I don't know that it has gotten either of my boys motivated about cleaning.

At least we all now know what a styrachiosaurus is--way cooler than its much-more-famous-but-not-as-cool predecessor Triceratops.

I really like the velociraptor who hides his PJs behind the bathroom door. Just right for such a sneaky beast!
Leann
This is the ONLY book my 14-month-old will sit through all the way. He loves the dinosaur illustrations and enjoys flipping the pages when I'm through. He was given this by our pediatrician at his 12-month check-up. I love that they give books to patients to encourage reading. I also look forward to using this when he's a little older to help him understand the cleaning process.
Bee
Jul 12, 2011 Bee added it
This book tells the child things that they should not do when cleaning their rooms. This is a great book for home when teaching about chores or in a classroom when discussing clean-up. I remember when my mother would tell me to clean my room, and I would want to stuff everything in a place that was out of sight.
Sheniece
Cleaning is a task that everyone will have to do at some point in time. The most important thing is to learn the proper way of cleaning. It would be a good idea to read this story to children before teaching them the procedures for cleaning in the class on the first day of school.
Leandra Cate
What is it about the 'how do dinosaurs' books? Mostly the absurdity of the giant dinosaur with little human parents, itty bitty bed, teddy bear, etc? I dunno but baby loves them and I like them, too. Clever rhymes, funny illustrations. They are all good.
Kendall
This book follows the Yolen-Teague formula with clever rhymes and wonderful illustrations. Loved by dinosaur enthusiasts everywhere! A great book for those looking for an alternative to Numeroff's If You Give A....series.
Erin Nicole Eley
These books practically made my whole childhood! This is such a cute and fun book along with the others of the series. Just thinking about reading this book with my mom when I was five brings tears to my eyes!
R.L.
Jane Yolen does in "How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms" what Jane does best, she tells a precious story in rhyme for little ones to learn a simple lesson. Here, it is about cleaning up. Thank you, Jane.
Amanda
Another good one in this series, although Go to Bed was better. I don't think this one inspired as much compliance as that one did, but then going to bed has never been a problem while cleaning up...well.
My sister-in-law read this book to my nephew to inspire him to clean his room. He loved the dinosaur techniques and decided to clean the bathroom as well! These are great books to share with young children.
Christopher Sears
Oct 02, 2010 Christopher Sears rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens, donated
My children really like this book. The rhyming is easy to read, except for "basket" and "ask it". It is short enough to read before bedtime. The illustrations are cleaver enough for the kids.
Ahmad Worthy
I like this book because it gives children a sense of cleaning up their room and where some of their toys are hiding at. This is a adventure type story that keeps little boys engaged.
Lacey
I hadn't read this one until I started my new job at the new preschool I work at now. Really fun sorry that makes the kids laugh and think hopefully about cleaning their own rooms.
Sandra
My 3 year old son loves these books. He can recite them on his own and loves to have us tell him what the dinosaur names are.
Deborah
All the How Do Dinosaurs...? books are really cute, funny, and have great illustrations. Makes a great gift.
Logan
Very cute series of books that are fun to look at and read. They get giggles out of the kids.
Marylou R.
My son is a dinosaur lover so having them serve as models for good behavior is a big help!
Skylar Burris
Cute. Rhytmic. Both my daughter and I enjoy it. Now, if only it inspired her to clean up her room.
Squishy
I think it's funny because some of the dinosaurs hide dirty stuff.
Denise
Love this series...loving the rhyming that goes along with this...
Christen Griego
k-3
Dinosaurs
Also great to motivate children to clean their rooms :)
Kristen
I love this book, its great for little boys who love dinosaurs!
Amy
great for teaching children to help keep their rooms clean.
  • Bear's New Friend
  • Have You Seen My Cat?
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book
  • This is the House that Jack Built
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood