Start by marking “How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?” as Want to Read:
How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?

How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms? (How Do Dinosaurs...?)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,189 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The bestselling, award-winning team of Yolen and Teague present their second original dinosaur board book, a playful "how-to" tale about making a mess and then cleaning it up.

Come along for some BIG fun as your favorite dinosaurs learn to pick up and put away their toys. How do dinosaurs clean their rooms? With trash cans and dusters and brooms!
Now Jane Yolen's playful, re
Board Book, 12 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
317th out of 3,562 books — 5,305 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickWho's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward AlbeeAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerWhy Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie
Questions, Questions...
23rd out of 195 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay Balcar
Nov 04, 2011 Lindsay Balcar rated it really liked it
This picture book is intended for primary and possibly intermeadiate. It is a story told in rhyme about how these dinos could misbehave but how they don't and the proper way to act. The illustrations have different kinds of dinosaurs on each page and written underneath is the proper name of the dinosaur, I only wish pronunciation was in the back. This is a series of stories that teach kids manner and how to act in a fun way but by showing the bad behavior first, then how to properly behave. The ...more
Jason
Dec 25, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
I love the premise but think it could stand a bit more content. The plot was heart warming and the message was instructive but I wish they went into more cleaning detail. Overall 4 stars.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 24, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Jane Yolen and Mark Teague have collaborated on a number of these How Do Dinosaurs... books. They have the longer format books and some board books. How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms? is a board book. It is half the length of the longer books, How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?, for example.

Jane Yolen's humor works perfectly with Mark Teague's illustrations. These books remind me a bit of the old pamphlets and propaganda that came out of the WPA. Imagine an old school reel of "How to Clean Your
Melissa Namba
Mar 20, 2016 Melissa Namba rated it really liked it
Shelves: coplin, dnamba
A great book for preschool kids who may be reluctant to do their chores. It might be effective toread this book with them and then ask your own little dinosaur to clean his or her room. I have nephews who will love this.
Dolly
Dec 21, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, 2012
We've read a few of the books in the How Do
Dinosaurs..."
series by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague, but our girls have outgrown these books, so I read them at the library myself.

This is a fun book that explains, with a rhyming narrative, good and bad ways to clean a room. The book is entertaining and encourages children to put toys away.
Mar 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
great book that kids will enjoy
Missy
Jan 31, 2014 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Love these books for my boys.
Kate
Dec 03, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, fantasy
This is a great way to help little boys to clean up their room. The book goes through and shows the dinosaurs "cleaning" their rooms by putting toys under the bed and hiding dirty clothes. In the end the dinosaurs clean their room properly and make their parents very happy. This book is good for boys because it is a book about dinosaurs and the author puts the name of the dinosaurs within the story.
Neil Nicholson
This is a good book to for students to make text to text connections. At the begging of the story, the title question is posed. Throughout the story different dinosaurs are pictured cleaning up the right way and the wrong way, but the book ends on a good note I would recommend this book for prek through 1st grade, it seems like those students would relate to what the dinosaurs are going through.
Peter
May 14, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
One of James' favorites. The dinosaurs in this series are awsome, although I don't know that it has gotten either of my boys motivated about cleaning.

At least we all now know what a styrachiosaurus is--way cooler than its much-more-famous-but-not-as-cool predecessor Triceratops.

I really like the velociraptor who hides his PJs behind the bathroom door. Just right for such a sneaky beast!
Leann
Jun 27, 2011 Leann rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is the ONLY book my 14-month-old will sit through all the way. He loves the dinosaur illustrations and enjoys flipping the pages when I'm through. He was given this by our pediatrician at his 12-month check-up. I love that they give books to patients to encourage reading. I also look forward to using this when he's a little older to help him understand the cleaning process.
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Dinosaurs are messy sometimes, but they should learn to be tidy.

I thought this one was pretty funny, and also pretty instructive. It's always good to find a book about tidying things up, and there was some fun details in this one. These books are pretty brilliant about all the little props they include on each page, it gives The Boy so much to look at and point out.
Bee
Jul 12, 2011 Bee added it
This book tells the child things that they should not do when cleaning their rooms. This is a great book for home when teaching about chores or in a classroom when discussing clean-up. I remember when my mother would tell me to clean my room, and I would want to stuff everything in a place that was out of sight.
Sheniece
Mar 15, 2011 Sheniece rated it really liked it
Cleaning is a task that everyone will have to do at some point in time. The most important thing is to learn the proper way of cleaning. It would be a good idea to read this story to children before teaching them the procedures for cleaning in the class on the first day of school.
Jose Luis
Extraordinario libro para invitar a los pequeños a limpiar su cuarto. Teniendo a los dinosaurios como ejemplo el mensaje entre mejor que cualquier discurso o castigo. Estupendo para los más pequeños. Mis hijos, aún ya grandes, siguen re-leyéndolo con gusto de vez en cuando.
Kendall
This book follows the Yolen-Teague formula with clever rhymes and wonderful illustrations. Loved by dinosaur enthusiasts everywhere! A great book for those looking for an alternative to Numeroff's If You Give A....series.
Erin Nicole Eley
Mar 21, 2012 Erin Nicole Eley rated it really liked it
These books practically made my whole childhood! This is such a cute and fun book along with the others of the series. Just thinking about reading this book with my mom when I was five brings tears to my eyes!
R.L.
Aug 13, 2014 R.L. rated it it was amazing
Jane Yolen does in "How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms" what Jane does best, she tells a precious story in rhyme for little ones to learn a simple lesson. Here, it is about cleaning up. Thank you, Jane.
Amanda
Oct 09, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Another good one in this series, although Go to Bed was better. I don't think this one inspired as much compliance as that one did, but then going to bed has never been a problem while cleaning up...well.
Apr 26, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
My sister-in-law read this book to my nephew to inspire him to clean his room. He loved the dinosaur techniques and decided to clean the bathroom as well! These are great books to share with young children.
Christopher Sears
Oct 02, 2010 Christopher Sears rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: donated, childrens
My children really like this book. The rhyming is easy to read, except for "basket" and "ask it". It is short enough to read before bedtime. The illustrations are cleaver enough for the kids.
Ahmad Worthy
Jul 28, 2010 Ahmad Worthy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I like this book because it gives children a sense of cleaning up their room and where some of their toys are hiding at. This is a adventure type story that keeps little boys engaged.
Lacey
Sep 14, 2014 Lacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I hadn't read this one until I started my new job at the new preschool I work at now. Really fun sorry that makes the kids laugh and think hopefully about cleaning their own rooms.
Sandra
May 03, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
My 3 year old son loves these books. He can recite them on his own and loves to have us tell him what the dinosaur names are.
Kate B
Jun 12, 2015 Kate B rated it really liked it
Very popular when my children were small; looking at their bedrooms, I might have to start reading it to them again.
Deborah
Jul 07, 2009 Deborah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
All the How Do Dinosaurs...? books are really cute, funny, and have great illustrations. Makes a great gift.
Logan
Feb 12, 2008 Logan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Very cute series of books that are fun to look at and read. They get giggles out of the kids.
Marylou R.
Jul 11, 2012 Marylou R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atticus
My son is a dinosaur lover so having them serve as models for good behavior is a big help!
Skylar Burris
Jan 08, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute. Rhytmic. Both my daughter and I enjoy it. Now, if only it inspired her to clean up her room.
Squishy
Oct 20, 2010 Squishy rated it really liked it
I think it's funny because some of the dinosaurs hide dirty stuff.
  • Bear's New Friend
  • The Best Mouse Cookie
  • The Foolish Tortoise
  • Big Little
  • I Love It When You Smile
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

How Do Dinosaurs...? (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?