Kochanka śmierci

Kochanka śmierci (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #8)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  930 ratings  ·  30 reviews
В Москве открывается клуб «Любовников Смерти» – сообщество, члены которого один за другим добровольно сводят счеты с жизнью. Участники клуба уверены, что земная жизнь – посланное им наказание. Но хотя мучение это временное, его нельзя прерывать самовольно, не увидев знак, поданный Смертью. Каждый из них с нетерпением ожидает этого знамения, а, встретив его, немедленно конч...more
Published by Świat Książki (first published May 1st 2012)

Nancy Oakes
In this the eighth installment of the Erast Fandorin series, the author changes his usual narrative style to tell this story via several different points of view. A young girl's journal, newspapers, the reports of an undercover agent, and even poetry all come together to weave a somewhat bizarre tale of a suicide club in Moscow. While suicide clubs are definitely not a new phenomenon in the rest of Europe, in Moscow they have been previously unheard of until now, at the dawn of the new century....more
Erin
I'll concur with the reviews I've seen on Goodreads about this one. It's not the best Fandorin novel. It may be the weakest I've read. But overall, I still love the series and the characters. I'm interested in how "He Lover of Death" (the next book and what seems like a companion piece) will play on this opinion once I've read that one.

I realized in this book that the reason I love the other books is because I love the narrators or supporting characters. I didn't really enjoy Columbine (Masha)....more
M M
Akunin, as those who read or have heard of his Fandorin novels know, aims to write each volume in a particular genre of crime fiction. This one deals with decadence in turn-of-the-century Moscow. A suicide club has formed and it attracts aficionados from all rungs of society. Written in the multi-person perspective familiar from previous books, here we have the story as seen by a young girl arrived in Moscow from the provinces, a newspaper journalist investigating the club, and the police. Bohem...more
Greg
In 1900 Moscow is abuzz with a rash of suicides, and rumours that a suicide club is in operation somewhere in the city. The Lovers of Death, a group of misfits under the charismatic leadership of a man named Prospero, meet weekly to discuss which of them will be the next to meet the long-desired embrace of death. Erast Fandorin joins the Lovers of Death in the guise of a Japanese prince and attempts to get to the bottom of it all.

The story is told from the points of view of two of the Lovers: Co...more
Kris McCracken
This time Erast Fandorin infiltrates a suicide club that is operating in Moscow, with the premise that an unknown puppet master is manipulating a mixed bunch of romantic types who are affected by a kind of fin de siècle nihilism. It stretches credulity somewhat, but as always with Akunin, is well constructed and features some lovely writing.
Antonio Buainain
Not one of história best cases, but the plot and the way the story is told make it quite worthwhile reading.
Eugene Pustoshkin
Пока из прочитанных у Б. Акунина, пожалуй, лучшая. Мистика, ИСС, биоэнергетика упоминаются открытым образом и в связи с преступностью.
Nancy K
I love this series and the other books have been wonderful, but this one is not on my list of recommended reading. The book's premise of a group of healthy young adults coming together to worship and commit suicide was just a bit too much. I am not familiar with any cases such as presented in the book - and my head says that after the first "death" the group would have broken up very quickly. Mr. Akunin and the translation by Adrew Bromfield is up to the usual excellent quality - but the plot wa...more
Darusha Wehm
This was the first Erast Fandorin novel I've read, and maybe it would have helped to read them in order. As it was, I wonder if the translation was off a little, as the word choices were often pretty strange. I could tell that the author was going for a 1900 feel to the language, but I don't think it came across well in translation. As for the plot - it was pretty thin.

Between the strange stylization and less than engaging story, I'll not be likely to try the other Akunin books.

Matt Frear
Not my favourite Fandorin tale (and in IMHO a clunky translation of the title from Russian). The plot revolves around a suicide club in fin-de-siècle Moscow. The story is told through a range of newspaper articles, diary entries and letters. But by the time the big finale arrived I just found myself thinking it was all rather silly. Will be interesting to see any overlap in He Lover of Death, the book covering the case Fandorin is investigating as the same time as this one.
Janellyn51
Well, I thought I was done with old Erast Petrovich Fandorin, but now I see there are two more books after this....and I shall read them, why stop now?! I liked this one. Columbine bugged me somewhat...I guess at the time, when Spiritualism and all that stuff was big, having a suicide club wouldn't be that surprising. This book was told from her perspective, and Erast, he doesn't play a monumental role in this one, apart from figuring it all out in the end.
Jen
Enjoyed this latest Fandorin novel, even though the actual plot had some holes in it. However, the characters and setting were interesting. Fandorin penetrates a Suicide Club called the Lovers of Death, when there is suspicion that members are being tricked into killing themselves. An intriguing blend of mysticism and the bizarre. As always, Fandorin is an interesting character.

Didn't like the title though ...
Darya Conmigo
Not the best akunin ever. The characters are rather shallow (even Fandorin, seriously), and the plot a bit too sensationalist for me. Still, as in any other Akunin's book, you can expect fine writing style, smart jokes and just a very special atmosphere of the Russia of the turn of the centuries that only he can create.
Anna
Dzieją się w Moskwie dziwne rzeczy. Nasilają się samobójstwa młodych ludzi związanych z bohemą, a detektyw Fandorin w ukryciu musi przeniknąć do tajnego stowarzyszenia, które może mieć coś z tym wspólnego. Szczególnie, że chce ochronić dziewczynę z prowincji, która dopiero co została przyjęta do grupy.
Malcolm
This isn't Akunin's best Fadorin novel but they remain a fine series. The multiple voices works well as a writing form but the narrative tension emerges mainly from that rather than the story itself. The deus ex machina type thing with the angel statue was somewhere between silly and forced.
Denis
Необычная книга. Главный герой появляется лишь спустя треть книги, и по сути главным не является. Словами этого просто не описать, лучше прочесть и оценить самому.
Так же очень понравилась манера письма, именно в стиле 19 века. Очень красиво, иногда вычурно. Но читать было одно удовольствие!
Mathieu
Paru en même temps ou presque que son jumeau "L'amant de la mort", je le trouve un peu plus faible... Néanmoins, tout l'intérêt repose dans le "cross over" des deux histoires qui n'apparaît qu'une fois les deux romans lus, que dis-je ? Dévorés !
SJ
An easy read with enough intrigue to keep you interested until the end. Not the best I've read for this genre but fare from the worst. The imagery is actually quite effective and I found myself able to see the scenes within my minds eye.
Mathieu
Un des tout meilleur de Boris Akounine ! J'ai adoré cet épisode des enquêtes de Fandorine !!!

Le cross-over entre ce volume et le précédent (sorti au même moment) le rend encore plus savoureux. Une très belle réussite.
Lauri
Dekadentlik krimka, kuidagi muudest Fandorini seiklustest jamam. Enesetapjate klubi saladused ei tundunud nii hoogsad kui mõned varasemad ja hilisemad Fandorini juhtumumised...
Leslie
I didn't (and still don't) know when the book was written. For some reason I think that may have influenced my expectations. Not a great read but the concept was interesting
Marlo
Didn't think I'd like this one at first. Stayed with it to the end and I'm glad I did. Not as good as the matching book "He Lover of Death" but still a good mystery.
Barbara Duvoisin
source: FT review (oct09) by john thornhill. not sure i'll really like this (detective novel by Akunin as his norm). check it out in bookstore first.
Ken
I enjoyed this book, though I am sure it is not for everyone(very Russian)
Some not half bad poetry in the book also. All about death mind you!!
Biblioworm
Возможно, мне просто надоел этот стиль, но скорее все-таки дело в том, что книга откровенно слабее прочих книг серии.
Lauren
Interesting, took me a bit to get past the odd phrasing, having been translated from Russian
Helen
Although I hated the main character, this book is amazing, interesting but deathly short.
Deanne
One of my favourite Fandorin books, not sure how to define this one though.
Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the earlier Fandorin books.
Dave
Yet another brilliant and original mystery. Live this series.
  • Казус Кукоцкого
  • Two Captains
  • Ночной дозор. Дневной дозор. Сумеречный дозор.
  • Похороните меня за плинтусом (Похороните меня за плинтусом, #1)
  • Урфин Джюс и его деревянные солдаты (Волшебник изумрудного города, #2)
  • Лабиринт Мёнина (Лабиринты Ехо, #8)
  • Sofia Petrovna
  • Понедельник начинается в субботу
  • Географ глобус пропил
  • Двенадцать стульев. Золотой теленок
  • The Yellow Arrow
  • Ruslan and Ludmila
  • Волкодав (Волкодав, #1)
  • Незнайка в Солнечном Городе
  • Алые паруса
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili, born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he created Erast Pietrovich Fandorin.

B. Akunin refers to Mikhail Alexandrovich Bakunin and Akuna, home...more
More about Boris Akunin...
The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1) Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3) The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2) The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4) Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)