Start by marking “Kochanka śmierci” as Want to Read:
Kochanka śmierci

Kochanka śmierci (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #8)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,515 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
В Москве открывается клуб «Любовников Смерти» – сообщество, члены которого один за другим добровольно сводят счеты с жизнью. Участники клуба уверены, что земная жизнь – посланное им наказание. Но хотя мучение это временное, его нельзя прерывать самовольно, не увидев знак, поданный Смертью. Каждый из них с нетерпением ожидает этого знамения, а, встретив его, немедленно конч ...more
Published by Świat Książki (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Kochanka śmierci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kochanka śmierci

Nancy Oakes
In this the eighth installment of the Erast Fandorin series, the author changes his usual narrative style to tell this story via several different points of view. A young girl's journal, newspapers, the reports of an undercover agent, and even poetry all come together to weave a somewhat bizarre tale of a suicide club in Moscow. While suicide clubs are definitely not a new phenomenon in the rest of Europe, in Moscow they have been previously unheard of until now, at the dawn of the new century. ...more
Iris
Apr 23, 2016 Iris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
well, I don't really know what to say about it. It's my first time reading a book by this author, who is Russian, and therefore the book was translated into English. I believe that something was lost in translation. I found the story to be disjointed, the main character (Fandorin) to be vapid, and the interaction between characters to be flimsy. The story is told by several different characters; the only character to have any interaction to Fandorin is Columbine, a young peasant girl who moves t ...more
Pietro Coen
This is a bizarre story, told in 3rd person (by the author), via the diary of Marya Mironovna (or Masha, later on Columbine) and through the newspaper articles of Lavr Zhemailo at different points in the book. Masha - who has just turned 18 - decides to leave Irkutsk, her home town, for Moscow were she is keen to join a secret club of people who see suicide as a worthy act - a poetic act of beauty. She succeeds in this and meets lots of arty types who all recite their macabre poetry during their ...more
Peter Auber
Branko Jovanovski
Best in the series so far
Helen Cranberry
Jan 18, 2015 Helen Cranberry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Читала книгу, когда еще училась в институте, захотелось перечитать и это того стоило. Люблю Акунина. Интересно, легко, отвлекает от реальности и дает пищу для размышлений.
Erin
Feb 23, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia, detectives
I'll concur with the reviews I've seen on Goodreads about this one. It's not the best Fandorin novel. It may be the weakest I've read. But overall, I still love the series and the characters. I'm interested in how "He Lover of Death" (the next book and what seems like a companion piece) will play on this opinion once I've read that one.

I realized in this book that the reason I love the other books is because I love the narrators or supporting characters. I didn't really enjoy Columbine (Masha).
M M
Apr 26, 2013 M M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Akunin, as those who read or have heard of his Fandorin novels know, aims to write each volume in a particular genre of crime fiction. This one deals with decadence in turn-of-the-century Moscow. A suicide club has formed and it attracts aficionados from all rungs of society. Written in the multi-person perspective familiar from previous books, here we have the story as seen by a young girl arrived in Moscow from the provinces, a newspaper journalist investigating the club, and the police. Bohem ...more
Florita
This was my first venture into the world of Erast Fandorin. I chanced upon it in my local library and chose it entirely because of the vintage appeal of the cover, and because I'd never read any historical mystery/crime located in turn of the 20th century Russia.
I thought the subject was rather intriguing and very tongue-in-cheek: a suicide club investigated for murder! It took me a little while to read the book - I found the third person narrative a little bit tortured and was disappointed bec
Michinio Camorelli
გარემოებათა გამო ეს აღმოჩნდა სერიის პირველი წიგნი რომელიც წავიკითხე. შეიძლება ძალიანაც კარგია, როგორც #8, მაგრამ პირველისთვის აშკარად ვერ გამოდგა, ამიტომაც ჩემი შეფასება ვერ იქნება ობიექტური. მაგრამ მაინც - დეტექტიური კომპონენტი საკმაოდ მოიკოჭლებდა, თუმცა ზოგადი გარემო და კითხვის experience, კარგი იყო.

მოკლედ ჯობია კითხვა დაიწყოთ სერიის პირველი (Азазель) ან მეორე წიგნიდან (Турецкий Гамбит).
Katerina
I really like Erast Fandorin books and it has been a while I read any of this series, but this one left me a bit of a strange feeling. Erast is appearing under the surname Nameless and he is investigating privately and not from the side of the law. I have missed some books from before so that's probably the reason I am a bit lost, but it is still the same calm but secretive Erast. This time he is following the Lovers of Death, a secret community in Moscow who seem to worship Death and be involve ...more
Greg
Mar 11, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
In 1900 Moscow is abuzz with a rash of suicides, and rumours that a suicide club is in operation somewhere in the city. The Lovers of Death, a group of misfits under the charismatic leadership of a man named Prospero, meet weekly to discuss which of them will be the next to meet the long-desired embrace of death. Erast Fandorin joins the Lovers of Death in the guise of a Japanese prince and attempts to get to the bottom of it all.

The story is told from the points of view of two of the Lovers: Co
Colleen
Mar 02, 2016 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunnit
Ironically, She Lover of Death is one of the more upbeat of the Fandorin books and like Leviathan one in which he is seen entirely through other character's eyes. I liked the multiple narrarator and various voices device (newspaper columns, diaries, official reports) and while the villain was pretty obvious a fun book.
Kris McCracken
Feb 16, 2014 Kris McCracken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time Erast Fandorin infiltrates a suicide club that is operating in Moscow, with the premise that an unknown puppet master is manipulating a mixed bunch of romantic types who are affected by a kind of fin de siècle nihilism. It stretches credulity somewhat, but as always with Akunin, is well constructed and features some lovely writing.
Aleksandar Obradović
Po meni, daleko najgora knjiga iz ovog serijala. Pošto autor sa svakim novim nastavkom eksperimentiše i poigrava se podžanrovima krimića bilo je samo pitanje vremena kada će se desiti da mi se neki od tih eksperimenata ne dopadne.:)
Jenny Sparrow
Jan 14, 2015 Jenny Sparrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Я давно уже собираю коллекцию из книг о Фандорине, вот недавно прикупила ещё две недостающие книги, и решила перечитать. Первый раз читала лет 7-8 назад.

В "Любовнице смерти" речь идёт о расследовании серий самоубийств, которые охватили Москву на рубеже 19 и 20 веков. Ниточки привели к некоему тайному клубу, который именует себя "Любовниками Смерти" и чьи члены получают от Смерти тайные Знаки, повелевающие им убить себя...

Это не лучший роман о Фандорине, на мой взгляд. Здесь не так много напряжен
Antonio Buainain
Jul 16, 2014 Antonio Buainain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of história best cases, but the plot and the way the story is told make it quite worthwhile reading.
Alex
May 28, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прочитал на одном дыхании по следам статьи в "Новой Газете" о волне подростковых самоубийств.
Eugene Pustoshkin
Пока из прочитанных у Б. Акунина, пожалуй, лучшая. Мистика, ИСС, биоэнергетика упоминаются открытым образом и в связи с преступностью.
Georgia Carvalho
Interesting narrative style and premise, however, this was not my favorite Fandorin book.
Nancy K
Mar 05, 2010 Nancy K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and the other books have been wonderful, but this one is not on my list of recommended reading. The book's premise of a group of healthy young adults coming together to worship and commit suicide was just a bit too much. I am not familiar with any cases such as presented in the book - and my head says that after the first "death" the group would have broken up very quickly. Mr. Akunin and the translation by Adrew Bromfield is up to the usual excellent quality - but the plot wa ...more
Elina
Jan 03, 2016 Elina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erast-fandorin
This one has a slow start, but goodness how good it was in the end! The plot revolving around a suicide club is intriguing and works beautifully. Columbine has similarities to Varja in The Turkish Gambit, and I found them both annoying time to time. Otherwise the characters were excellent and well portrayed, and Erast Fandorin continues to be simply superb. I also liked Erast's passionate speech regarding the new century and technology - the hot subject for people during fin de siécle.
Darusha Wehm
This was the first Erast Fandorin novel I've read, and maybe it would have helped to read them in order. As it was, I wonder if the translation was off a little, as the word choices were often pretty strange. I could tell that the author was going for a 1900 feel to the language, but I don't think it came across well in translation. As for the plot - it was pretty thin.

Between the strange stylization and less than engaging story, I'll not be likely to try the other Akunin books.

Matt Frear
Not my favourite Fandorin tale (and in IMHO a clunky translation of the title from Russian). The plot revolves around a suicide club in fin-de-siècle Moscow. The story is told through a range of newspaper articles, diary entries and letters. But by the time the big finale arrived I just found myself thinking it was all rather silly. Will be interesting to see any overlap in He Lover of Death, the book covering the case Fandorin is investigating as the same time as this one.
Janellyn51
Jul 11, 2012 Janellyn51 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I thought I was done with old Erast Petrovich Fandorin, but now I see there are two more books after this....and I shall read them, why stop now?! I liked this one. Columbine bugged me somewhat...I guess at the time, when Spiritualism and all that stuff was big, having a suicide club wouldn't be that surprising. This book was told from her perspective, and Erast, he doesn't play a monumental role in this one, apart from figuring it all out in the end.
Jen
Jul 30, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, russian
Enjoyed this latest Fandorin novel, even though the actual plot had some holes in it. However, the characters and setting were interesting. Fandorin penetrates a Suicide Club called the Lovers of Death, when there is suspicion that members are being tricked into killing themselves. An intriguing blend of mysticism and the bizarre. As always, Fandorin is an interesting character.

Didn't like the title though ...
Darya Conmigo
Not the best akunin ever. The characters are rather shallow (even Fandorin, seriously), and the plot a bit too sensationalist for me. Still, as in any other Akunin's book, you can expect fine writing style, smart jokes and just a very special atmosphere of the Russia of the turn of the centuries that only he can create.
Anna
Dec 23, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Dzieją się w Moskwie dziwne rzeczy. Nasilają się samobójstwa młodych ludzi związanych z bohemą, a detektyw Fandorin w ukryciu musi przeniknąć do tajnego stowarzyszenia, które może mieć coś z tym wspólnego. Szczególnie, że chce ochronić dziewczynę z prowincji, która dopiero co została przyjęta do grupy.
Malcolm
This isn't Akunin's best Fadorin novel but they remain a fine series. The multiple voices works well as a writing form but the narrative tension emerges mainly from that rather than the story itself. The deus ex machina type thing with the angel statue was somewhere between silly and forced.
Denis
Nov 13, 2013 Denis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Необычная книга. Главный герой появляется лишь спустя треть книги, и по сути главным не является. Словами этого просто не описать, лучше прочесть и оценить самому.
Так же очень понравилась манера письма, именно в стиле 19 века. Очень красиво, иногда вычурно. Но читать было одно удовольствие!
  • Pelagia and the Black Monk (Sister Pelagia Mysteries, #2)
  • Легенды Невского Проспекта
  • Казус Кукоцкого
  • Дебют в Ехо (Лабиринты Ехо, #1.1-1.3)
  • Дама с собачкой. Повести и рассказы
  • Ночной дозор. Дневной дозор. Сумеречный дозор.
  • Sofia Petrovna
  • The Good Angel of Death
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili (see Grigory Chkhartishvili), born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he created Erast Pietrovich Fandorin.

B. Akunin refers to Mikhail Alexandr
More about Boris Akunin...

Erast Fandorin Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1)
  • The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3)
  • The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4)
  • Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)
  • Статский советник (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #6)
  • Коронация, или Последний из романов (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
  • Любовник смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #9)
  • Алмазная колесница (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #10)
  • Нефритовые четки (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #11)