Start by marking “A Hole in Texas: A Novel” as Want to Read:
A Hole in Texas: A Novel

A Hole in Texas: A Novel

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  53 reviews
With this rollicking novel-hailed equally for its satiric bite, its lightly borne scientific savvy, and its tender compassion for foible-prone humanity-one of America's preeminent storytellers returns to fiction. Guy Carpenter is a regular guy, a family man, an obscure NASA scientist, when he is jolted out of his quiet life and summoned to the corridors of power in Washing ...more
Published April 13th 2004 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Hole in Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hole in Texas

Jan Rice
I'm trying to figure out when I read this. Published 2005, Goodreads says, but copyright 2004, per the book itself. I had the hardcover which I bought after I found it remaindered in a Daedalus catalog and noticed who the author was. I thought the book was not up to his earlier standards when he was younger, The Caine Mutiny, for goodness sake, and The Winds of War and War and Remembrance, which made a significant impression on me (both the books and the miniseries). Made sense, since he was in ...more
Gerald Kinro
Guy Carpenter, a 60-year-old physicist is married, the father of two, including a new baby and lives a quiet ordinary life. He once worked on the Superconducting Super Collider, a gigantic federally funded project in Texas aimed at finding the elusive Higgs bosun subatomic particle. Congress defunded the project leaving Carpenter out to dry and the Higgs bosun a mystery, leaving a large hole in Texas. Now Chinese scientists publish a work that claims to have discovered the Higgs bosun. Carpenter ...more
Jennifer H
S.E. White
Interesting story -- another Wouk plot about the intricacies and difficulties of a marriage in connection with larger national issues.

Thanks to this book, I laughed at a joke I wouldn't have understood before reading it:

A Higgs boson walks into a Catholic church. The priest tells him that no bosons are allowed. "How can you have Mass without me?" the boson exclaims.

J. Travis Moger
A Hole in Texas: A Novel by Herman Wouk**1/2

Though a reasonably entertaining read, Herman Wouk's A Hole in Texas was a disappointment. The premise was a good one: the Chinese discovery of the Higgs boson (aka “God particle”) sets off a political brouhaha in Washington, DC, involving an American scientist suspected of passing secrets to his former lover in China. The Higgs boson had been the goal of the never completed Superconducting Super Collider, which Congress cancelled in 1993. Now Communis
Stephen Gallup
I'd like to think that, if the project I've been working on these many years sees the light of day and achieves a life of its own, and if I then turn my hand to fiction, that the result would be something like this novel.

What I mean is that, as a tech writer, I've spent a lot of time conveying detailed info in a way that is no more dry and yawn-inducing than absolutely necessary, and A Hole in Texas is written by someone with a great deal of understanding of partical physics, in addition to well
Brigham
Hopefully when Herman Wouk passes, this book will be left off of his list of accomplishments. It's hard to believe that the 90 + year old meticulous author of The Hope, The Glory and Marjorie Morningstar could be so off about so many things.

As an announcement of the Chinese discovery of the Higgs Boson sets the nation in a whirl, a physicist named Guy Carpenter get's embroiled in a dull political plot with an ex movie star turned congresswoman. The book covers a lot of ground, discussing scienc
Maura
Sort of a political farce, mildly amusing; it feels a little bit dated by now, although it was only published in 2004. A certain amount of it has to do with the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) that was being built in Texas; construction halted in 1993 when the project was canceled.

The premise is that the Chinese have rocked the science world with their supposed discovery of the Higgs bosun, a particle that the SSC might have found had it been finished. Shades of Sputnik panic follow, with t
Jeff Landry
This 2004 novel is a dated satire, both in content and in Wouk's style. The sciencey stuff was ok, but the portrayal of the media hysteria surrounding a major event was tepid by today's standards. It felt like a satire with little humor or satire. And though there were strong, central female characters in the story, it still felt like they were considered lesser in the author's eyes on account on their gender
Jim
I picked this up off the bargain counter at a discount store. I bought it simply because of Herman Wouk, Having enjoyed the Caine Mutiny, The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance. This was very different. While there were no "laugh out loud" moments, it certainly had me smiling quite a bit. As it was written in 2004, there are some dated references in the novel but they really don't detract from the story. Wouk does his usual job of creating characters that seem real. He tells a story that is a ...more
Graham Storrs
The first Herman Wouk novel I've read. I finished it on the day it is expected that Europe's LHC team will announce that they have found the Higgs boson. So it's an odd coincidence that the subject of the book is the announcement that the Chinese have found the Higgs boson and the alarmist furore that hits the USA at this evidence that they are no longer world leaders in big science. Ironically, Wouk dismisses the European efforts as feeble and irrelevant - the race is between the US and China! ...more
Barbara ★
This is the first novel by Herman Wouk for me and I must say that I really liked it. When the Chinese beat the US to the Higgs boson, astrophysicist, Guy Carpenter gets caught up in the hoopla and has to appear before a congressional hearing on possible charges of a breach in national security. His relationship with the top Chinese scientist and his secret post office box, get him in water with his wife.

There's a lot going on and when the talk involves the superconduction super collider, it get
~mad
Never new herman Wouk wrote something so comical - good bok.

I recommend.
Kerry Kenney
Love what Science magazine has to say about this book "How wonderful to encounter a novel that presents a scientist as a popular and engaging principal character." (Jay M. Pasachoff) as an early and devoted groupie to the Professor on Gilligan's island and then married to my own dreamy science geeeky husband this book had me at hello. Plus, I love Herman Wouk. He's like a great sandwich on a Saturday with the whole cool afternoon stretching out in front of you and baseball on the radio. Makes me ...more
Paul Parsons
Not quite the epic work we're used to from Herman Wouk, but then The Winds of War, War and Remembrance, The Hope, and The Glory are hard to surpass. Light-hearted and almost comically, Wouk takes a shot at the inept Congress and irresponsible media of the U.S.A., bring us into the everyday lives of those who should be dealing with the big picture, but are incapable of rising above petty scandals and self-serving politics. I did learn about the Higgs boson and came away moderately entertained and ...more
Jenny
I'm not sure why this book was written. To make a farce about physics and Congress? To write about a man who is a brilliant but relatable physicist? To establish that politics has no place in science?

The problem is that I don't know much about physics so I was so focused on figuring out what a Higgs boson was that I probably missed the humor.

I enjoyed Myra and the dialogue was well-done - but the subject matter just missed the mark for me.
Michael
This was alright. About the closed down Super Collider project in Waxahatchie, Texas. This was similar to what is being finished now in Switzerland, a huge circular tunnel built to accelerate and smash atoms. It was killed by Congress and abandoned. Thus the "Hole in Texas". It is still there, 18 miles long! I vaguely remember this from high school. Anyway, the story was kind of lame, but the setting interested me.
Tom
This is about the Higgs boson. Don't know what it is? Neither do I, and I read the book. Doesn't matter. It's something to do with physics. The thing is, the story surrounding this is a real page turner. I didn't want it to end. A physicist, his wife, a former girlfriend from China, congressmen and women, a Siamese cat. and other assorted characters. I give it an A/A+.
Heidi
I have read and loved many books by Herman Wouk, but I wish he could have spared us this one. When you have such a great list of books to your credit, why keep writing when you obviously have lost interest in doing so? The characters were superficial, pale recycles of previous ones, and the plot was so forgetable it passed from my mind the minute I shut the book.
Sandra
Not only is this a really good novel, with interesting characters and plot, but it also teaches a little bit about particle physics and the Higgs boson, and a lot about how politics determine the outcome of so many things in life. I thought it was an amazing read from an author well into his 90s. I had forgotten what a great craftsman Herman Wouk is.
Frederick Bingham
The story of Guy Carpenter. He is a high energy physicist who worked on the Superconducting Super Collider. After it got terminated, he went to work for JPL in Pasadena on a space telescope. One day, a chinese team purports to find the Higgs Boson, the particle the SSC was supposed to find. This touches off a firestorm with Guy in the center of it.
Bonnie
I thoroughly enjoyed this fast paced political/scientific story. I hadn't read anything by Wouk in a long time. He can write about anything and make it interesting and understandable. The story and characters were so vivid I felt like I was watching a movie instead of reading a very good book. He's and inspiration to all of us readers and writers.
Penny
When reading this book, one must keep in mind"...Herman Wouk exercises his deep insight and considerable comic powers to give us a witty and keen satire about Washington, the media, and science, and what happens when these three great forces of American culture clash." Keep in mind satire...
Paul Campbell
All in all it was well written, and relatively entertaining. I can say I cared for the personality of Penny Carpenter the protagonist's wife. In fact I actively disliked her personality. It detracted from the main storyline. The remaining story was enjoyable, and the scenery well painted.
Melissa
a friend found this book at goodwill and gave it to me. it's not the most well written story and it doesn't have the most compelling storyline but it is interesting. and i love physics - even though i did terribly in physics class in high school.
Marty Greenwell
Not as good as the prime novels of Herman Wouk but certainly fun, which is not something I got out of the historical novels. Interesting how he wove politics, entertainment, science, etc. together, but this is the way it works.
Mark Stephenson
A very entertaining satire of Congress, Hollywood, nosy and malicious reporters,and dog-eat-dog Academia with a surprisingly clear explanation of particle physics thrown in for good measure. I loved the happy ending!
Jo Sansevero
A quick read, with a fun look at international politics and the interplay between countries. Not of the caliber of "Marjorie Morningstar" or "Winds of War" but a good read with very believable characters.
Teresa
A clever bit of science wrapped up in a trbue his brother. I don't know much more about the Higgs boson than before, but I appreciate just what happened down in Ellis County far more.
Melisa
I really enjoyed how this book wove together the themes of romantic intrigue, physics, and politics! I actually have a grasp on the superconducting super collider.
  • Cantor's Dilemma: A Novel
  • Empire State
  • Dark Spectre
  • Schopenhauer's Telescope: A Novel
  • The Shot
  • Day of Wrath
  • Tycoon
  • Coal River
  • Second Skin (Nicholas Linnear, #6)
  • A Firing Offense
  • The Prodigal Spy
  • Cold Plague
  • The Ancient Ship
  • And No Birds Sang
Herman Wouk is a bestselling, Pulitzer Prize-winning Jewish American author with a number of notable novels to his credit, including The Caine Mutiny, The Winds of War, and War and Remembrance.

Herman Wouk was born in New York City into a Jewish family that had emigrated from Russia. After a childhood and adolescence in the Bronx and a high school diploma from Townsend Harris High School, he earned
More about Herman Wouk...
The Winds of War (The Henry Family, #1) War and Remembrance (The Henry Family, #2) The Caine Mutiny Marjorie Morningstar Don't Stop the Carnival