Start by marking “Sins of the Fathers” as Want to Read:
Sins of the Fathers

Sins of the Fathers

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Public defender Lindy Field puts her faith to the test and risks her reputation---and her life---when she defends a young man accused of a series of grisly murders. After all---he may just be innocent.
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Fathers

Keiki Hendrix
If you are looking for a fast paced, well developed legal drama, this is it. The writer keeps you guessing who the true villian is until the last few pages.

The story centers around Lindy Field, a young, spirited, Harley Davidson riding lawyer with a keen insights, deep compassion, and true grit and Darren DiCinny, the thirteen year old boy accused of murdering six innocent people in cold blood.

Lindy unwilling accepts this pro bono assignment representing Darren beginning with his reason of "God
C.J. Darlington
At first glance, Darren DiCinni is a normal, scrawny teenager - no longer a boy, not yet a man. But looks can be deceiving. This thirteen-year-old has just shot six people to death in cold blood. A slam dunk life-without-parole case? Not to Lindy Field, Darren's young and ambitious defense attorney.

Library Journal calls James Scott Bell "a master of legal suspense", and that's clearly evident in SINS OF THE FATHERS. With a keep-you-guessing plot, witty dialogue, and memorable three-dimensional c
Jacob Peled
I like the "Legal & Trial" genre. So I thought, here is another "Grisham" type of book. Problem was that it becomes kind of a religious book. It starts with a small trickle of mentioning God, and later on becomes a flood. I am not a religious person. I don't believe in God. Seems as if the author is trying to convince us otherwise. Why not stick to the trial story. Why bring God and church time and again. After 40% through the book, I gave up. There are so many other good books out there. Wh ...more
Linda
Darren, a 13-year-old boy, does the unthinkable--kills several students and Mr. Dorai at a baseball game. Darren is on trial for the killings, and is either unwilling or unable to help in his own defense. Lindy Field is Darren's defense attorney. She wants to plead insanity for her client. She had lost a previous case, which had ended her up in the hospital under emotional duress. She hadn't practiced law for a year. Judge Green recruits her, speaking of his faith in her abilities to handle this ...more
Victoria
This book was a compelling read that was hard to put down. James Scott Bell created realistic characters that you fell in love with. My favorite was Roxy, the main character's "assistant". She was funny and a good friend to Lindy throughout the struggles of the book. I have never read a book set around legal issues, and I wondered if it would be a bit dry. But this book was so suspensful. There were several points in the book that I literally shouted "What!!" because of the unexpected twists. I ...more
justablondemoment
Darren DiCinni walks onto a baseball field one day and open fires with a rifle onto a game in progress killing several. This story is about his defense by a lawyer committed to getting him the help he needs instead of crucifying him like everyone wants.

I finished this book but it was a struggle. It wasn't the story it was the writing. It was disjointed to me. There was to many lose threads and we all know what happens to lose threads.

I did find this in the Christian books and although, those t
Lori
This is a very touching story. What happens to a child's mind when a parent does horrible things. What the legal system wants to do. Great story.

Bev Spiller
got a bit tangled towards the end the plot im thinking although im not an avid reader of these type of books
Rachel
If You liked winner take all by T. Davis Bunn you will love this book it had a good story line and wasn't crazy obvious who the bad guy was I liked it
L
The author of "Sins of the Father" is a former trial lawyer, and does a fantastic job of weaving a courtroom drama that reminded me of a John Grisham novel without the grizzly details. Instead, there is a theme of redemption in the story of a thirteen year old who fires a rifle into a little league baseball game and is scheduled to be tried as an adult. The novel has a really surprising ending and although I can usually guess who the "bad guys" are, this one kept me guessing till the end. A real ...more
Jeni Enjaian
The problem with this book is that it's way too complicated for its own good. Even after reading the book twice, I still don't understand all the twists and especially the necessity of all those twists. For example, the whole subplot with the mother of one of the murdered boys felt extremely extraneous and on top of that wasn't even resolved satisfactorily. This one, for that reason, does not survive the "great, library purge of 2013."
Deb Brammer
This is an interesting legal situation where police want to put a killer behind bars so badly that they justify bending the rules. Lindy is a hurting, struggling lawyer who takes on a "hopeless case" because the killer is a hurting kid who needed unusual understanding and compassion.
This book is guaranteed to make you think and shows a strong Christian theme of forgiveness.
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
The justic system is a very complex one and many of us do not know what goes on behind closed doors. Excellent book, you wont be disappointed...twists along the way and dont want to spoil it for anyone, so start reading.....
Kristen Pruett
I enjoyed the first quarter of this book but then I started skimming which is a true sign that I am bored. I finished it because it was a quick read but nothing totally memorable. Luckily it was free on my kindle.
Julie
This was available as a free KINDLE edition. I've always been interested in trial/lawyer stories, and this was a good one. The book kept my attention throughout and the ending surprised me, which was nice.
Trish
Really enjoyed this book. I was wanting a little more details at the end, though. Overall, I thought it was a great story, well developed characters, and not obviously predictable.
Dawn Varney
This was an incredible book that I couldn't put down. The father was everything a good christian father should be! (once God got a hold of him)
Jana
Really enjoyed this book- A great legal suspense with unexpected twists and turns!
Amy
Great courtroom thriller. Couldn't put it down. Between 3 1/2 and 4 stars.
Hildy Peterson
Grade: C

Good story, worth reading. Nothing earth shattering or profound.
Trish Boese
This book is a good read, involving a child murderer plus issues.
Hollie
Liked not knowing until the very end how the case would turn out!
Edie rubinson
pretty good, courtroom drama
Jen
I love this author!
Cheree
Cheree marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Heidi Jennings
Heidi Jennings marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Deborah Markert Kolpak
Deborah Markert Kolpak marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
  • Booth's Sister
  • Off the Record
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • Exposure
  • The Real Enemy
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • The Great Divide
  • Dark to Mortal Eyes
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Sacrifice
  • Angels Flight (Shannon Saga #2)
  • Irreparable Harm
  • And Then There Were Two (Danielle Ross Mystery, #2)
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...
Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between Presumed Guilty

“...God created the world in six days. On the seventh day, he rested. On the eighth day, he started getting complaints. And it hasn't stopped since.” 57 likes