Start by marking “Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know” as Want to Read:
Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know

Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  8,404 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
The fairy tale is a poetic recording of the facts of life, an interpretation by the imagination of its hard conditions, an effort to reconcile the spirit which loves freedom and goodness and beauty with its harsh, bare and disappointing conditions. It is, in its earliest form, a spontaneous and instinctive endeavor to shape the facts of the world to meet the needs of the i ...more
Published (first published 1905)

John
Jul 15, 2011 John rated it liked it
Next time I hear anyone talk about how violent movies and video games are and how they are so bad for the kids, I am going to point them in the direction of this book. If I were to pick any book to have someone read in the hope that they would suffer from nightmares, it would be this one and this collection of stories. American Psycho didn't frighten or disturb me as much as this book did. Now, a reason for that could be because I've dabbled in the soliciting and subsequent murdering of prostitu ...more
Steven
Apr 24, 2010 Steven is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
There are 24 separate stories in this book. Here's where I am so far...

Chapter 1. ONE EYE, TWO EYES, THREE EYES: I like magic goats. Add some mutants, and I'm in heaven. Excellent.

Chapter 2. THE MAGIC MIRROR: This is better known as "Snow White." The key difference from the film? The protagonist is 7 years old. To me this makes the story so much better.

Chapter 3. THE ENCHANTED STAG: I liked it.

Chapter 4. HANSEL AND GRETHEL: The father is so much less likable than I remember from my youth. It app
Caroline
Dec 29, 2011 Caroline rated it liked it
I probably wouldn't have read this had it not been free for kindle. There're some favorites in here, but while I enjoy fairytails in general, I much prefer the unfiltered Grimm's. I mean, Cinderella's just not the same without some good ole toe carnage.
Jocelyn
May 25, 2012 Jocelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extended versions (full version?) of all the familiar childhood fairy tales like Aladdin & Alibaba, Hansel & Gretel etc, refreshing to read these again as an adult and realise how dark these tales actually are.
Megan
May 06, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All families kids 5+
Recommended to Megan by: Audible
I was looking for an audiblebook that would provide a lot of bang for the buck (11 hours 5 minutes for 1 credit). We've been reading several novelizations of fairy tales lately,(like "Half Upon A Time") and they make reference to fairy tales that my kids aren't familiar with (like Rose Red, or the man who slew 7 with one blow). So, we've been checking out physical fairy tale books as well as audio books about fairy tales to fill in the holes in our fairy tale education.
This compilation uses olde
Mars
Jan 11, 2012 Mars rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of old fairy tales, pulled from various sources.

I'll do them by author, since they're hard to classify all in one chunk.

Grimm's Fairy Tales
"The Magic Mirror", "Hansel and Grethel", etc
No plot, no character development, a few are hideously abridged (although I can't tell if this is just a particularly bad edition), they're written in a rather dull language, and quite honestly not enjoyable in the least.

1001 Nights
"Aladdin", "Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves", etc
These are actually not bad, but
Jeremy Herrera
Jan 24, 2014 Jeremy Herrera rated it really liked it
Not having really ever hearing the true fairy tales other than Disney or other modern children's story tailing, now I know the really tales. While the Disney spins of these tales are good and great moral values are taught to children, the actual fairy tales are much better and give a better lesson of moral values. They are more dark and in some cases violent than what we currently tell our children. Another great thing about this book is that it is more than just a few Grimm Fairy Tales but a fe ...more
Cecilia Ryan
In terms of retellings of fairytales that were perfectly fine before they were re-told, this is a book full of bad ones. I suspect some of them are just bad translations, but the prose is pretty awful in more than one place, and the stories are told awkwardly. Which is an unforgivable sin for a collection of fairytales, because the only thing that makes one different from another is the way they're written down.

I am disappointed by this book.
Dialma
Mar 12, 2015 Dialma rated it it was amazing
I had a similar book in Spanish growing up. I grew up knowing that fairy tales are dark and not always have a happy ending. But I love them! I love the morals they teach, and the fact that they teach us not to see life through pink colored glasses. And I love that my 9 year old twins can read them too, and that we can have discussions of the moral of the stories.
Lindsay
It was weird, some of these stories seemed sanitised (Cinderella for example), while others revelled in the tradition of gory fairy tales for children. Of course, we did have the perfect princesses and brave princes, but I did detect a note of sarcasm on occasion. Still, a nice read which took me back to my childhood.
J.R. Barker
Aug 13, 2012 J.R. Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
I think this should be called fairy tales every child should know once they've grown up.
Some of the stories may want vetting for younger children.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed this book I would stick to the modernised fairy tale versions.
It is fascinating to see where some of the stories stemmed from and how they have been altered.

Mary E. Daily
Dec 22, 2013 Mary E. Daily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remembered stories of my youth.

Yes, so many stories just as I remembered them, some I had never heard, and some different than I remembered. This is a great collection of fairy tales, saving the best for last!
sparkypink
Jul 12, 2012 sparkypink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Wow. These are not your Disney sugar coated fairy tales, although everyone does end up living happily ever after. Well, almost everyone. It was interesting to read them in their original forms, though.
Ulol Kimil
Sep 03, 2011 Ulol Kimil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's funny how the stories you "knew" via cinema/TV are quite so different from their real versions. Some are crud, some others more deep, some just have no happy ending, and nevertheless, almost everybody only knows the Disneysied happy versions. What a pity.
Kathy
Sep 18, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A very different take on the classic fairy tales.
Yi
Jan 03, 2012 Yi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very classical and easy to understand.
Natalie Gamble
Aug 27, 2013 Natalie Gamble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun collection of fairy tales, many that I had never heard of before. It was a very light read and kept me very entertained.
Jeffery Williams
Jan 04, 2014 Jeffery Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories are not quite the way I remember them. The language gets quite archaic sometimes. Still a nice set of fairy tales.
Ruth McGough
Mar 25, 2014 Ruth McGough rated it it was amazing
This is a good book.

I enjoyed reading these stories first, then to my children. My son enjoyed Beauty and the Beast best of all.
Nataly Robles
Jun 23, 2012 Nataly Robles rated it really liked it
The Light Princess was definitely my favorite story.
Carol
Jul 29, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
on my kindle!
Carol Ann
Yipes, and to think I enjoyed these as an impressionable child! What were the Brothers Grimm, and my beloved Walt Disney smoking?
Jazz
Nov 29, 2013 Jazz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read, full of stories that every child should know. Reading this reminded me of all day f the stories I used to and has reawakened my love of fairy tales
Brian Remmerde
Sep 23, 2012 Brian Remmerde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of orignal fairy tales!
Christina
Sep 20, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, most of these I had never actually read before so it was interesting.
Maki
I wouldn't say that these are essential fairy tales that every child should know. It's a fair collection though, from more well-known stories (Cinderella, Hanzel and Gretel, Jack and the Beanstalk) to more obscure stories (The Enchanted Stag, The Fair One with the Golden Locks).

There's a lot of artistic license taken with some of the stories, which is fine in some places. It added padding to otherwise plain stories. Ali Baba and Aladdin were well done in that regard. Some stories were given laye
Celeste Torres
Mar 26, 2017 Celeste Torres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is nice to read classic fairy tales and discover how different they are from the Disney ones. I read some tales with joy, others were boring. I do not know if this book is really intended for children, some tales have horror things, as of assassinations and blood.
Elisabeth Poe
May 04, 2017 Elisabeth Poe rated it really liked it
Interesting

There where stories I had read before but they were different and some stories I had never heard of. Over all I enjoyed the book.
Barbara Ann
Oct 01, 2014 Barbara Ann rated it really liked it
This collection of fairy tales consists of many from collections familiar to readers like Grimm, Arabian Knights, Hans Christian Andersen and Charles Perrault. Some are less familiar such as The Light Princess from George MacDonald.

There are no illustrations in the collection. Certainly some of these tales will inspire the reader to visualize many terrifying characters that might defy illustrations. In any case, I would not recommend them to young children because there is a great deal of violen
Toni Camilleri
Jul 13, 2012 Toni Camilleri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you already own a Kindle (be may it be the latest or the oldest), I am sure you could relate the first phase in every eBook purchasing especially with Amazon… To go shopping for free books first. If you’re not one of those, kudos to you for having unlimited funds! No, I’m not sour graping. I’m envious ok?

One of the first free ebooks I found is the Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know. Before anyone out there comments, I am not with child, I do not have a child, and there is no sane parent yet
Madison Mega-Mara...: Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know 1 2 Aug 20, 2013 04:48PM
  • American Fairy Tales
  • The Night Before Christmas and Other Popular Stories For Children
  • A Collection of Stories
  • The Golden Acorn
  • Myths and Legends of China
Hamilton Wright Mabie, A.M., L.H.D., LL.D. (1846–1916) was an American essayist, editor, critic, and lecturer.
More about Hamilton Wright Mabie...

“Then the maiden climbed into a tree, and, seating herself in the branches, began to knit.” 7 likes
“Fair queen, at home there is none like thee,
But over the mountains is Snow-white free,
With seven little dwarfs, who are strange to see;
A thousand times fairer than thou is she.

Queen, thou art not the fairest now;
Snow-white over the mountain's brow
A thousand times fairer is than thou.

Queen, thou art the fairest here,
But not when Snow-white is near;
Over the mountains still is she,
Fairer a thousand times than thee.”
4 likes