Start by marking “The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding” as Want to Read:
The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding

The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  816 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The only way to stand out in today's -- and tomorrow's -- cluttered marketplace is to build your product or service into a brand. Think Nike, Starbuck's, Xerox, and Kleenex, and you're thinking brands in the biggest and most lucrative sense. In The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding, marketing guru Al Ries, together with Laura Ries, has put together the authoritative work on br ...more
Published (first published July 30th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding

Charlie Tembresa
Truth to tell, there isn’t really 22 laws but just 2 laws. The first law is to maintain uniqueness, remain focus with your message by being consistent, and don’t muddle your message by trying to become “everything” to everyone. The second law is that a 100% domination of the market is impossible because not everybody has the same need and thus wouldn’t equally appeal to your brand message and purchase your product. If you get 50% + 1 market share, be happy and move on and create another brand. T ...more
Stephen Cheng
It's fun reading in the sense that People magazine can be fun reading. If you're wondering how companies view their brands, it gives a good overview in an easily digestible style. Some of the conclusions can range from eye-rolling to simply laugh-out-loud in the sense that if all you have is a branding hammer, then everything looks like a branding nail. Similarly, some of the predictions in here were proven to be totally off, but that's the nature of predictions in general. I guess it'd be more ...more
Claire Ragin
I am very skeptical about calling these concepts "laws" rather than "ideas that are important to consider but are far from immutable". For instance, saying that Bud Light is not a brand, and that it weakens the Bud brand...without looking at the potential loss of market share if they didn't have a dog in a competitive new race. They would probably say that Apple's iPod and iTunes were bad ideas. They don't seem to consider aspects of business *other* than branding. And the internet section is so ...more
David Boctor
11 chapters of genius followed by 11 chapters of not genius

the first part of the book gives great insight into human psychology. if you're launching a new product or struggling with growth it's worth a read.
The following 11 chapters, however, reveal that the authors are not prescient. in my opinion, the authors fail to recognize the inevitable consequence of their prescribed strategy. namely, the inevitable fatigue that will occur from an excessive choice of brands. years have passed this book
Mark
As we are starting a new business I found this book to be very valuable to insure we defined our new company in the marketplace.
Chris
Mar 31, 2011 Chris rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marketing and advertising majors, Marketing exes, Entrepreneurs
If you ever wanted to know the rules that will help keep your company and product afloat then this is the book to read. The author, Al Ries, has written these laws for anyone in business, from entrepreneur to corporate exes, to follow and learn from.

The nice thing about the format of this book is that he gives nice examples of companies that have followed this law and companies that have not, and what those consequences are for each. If you ever wanted to know which is the best method for getti
Manda
"The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding" was primarily written by Laura Ries - Al Ries was a co-author on the book. I rank this book a solid 3-star book because the insights / examples provided far outweigh any concerns / problems I found with the book. This book caused me to look at advertising / marketing from a different perspective in my daily life.

I liked "The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding" for the following reasons:

It flat out states the importance of marketing & branding, which is importan
Loy Machedo
I remember reading The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing as a young man. And boy! was in absolute awe, aplomb and amazement for these two writers!
Their wisdom, their wit and their wonderful research was something I never ever forgot.
It was a book worthy of my respect for a life time to come.

Fast forward to the here and now.....

I spot this book at a leading book store.
I grab the book.
After all those childhood memories, I am prepared to devour this book as I know it will bless my soul that yearns for
Puja
I was introduced to this invaluable and concise book by Bill Anderson, professor at my alma mater (Emerson College, Boston), as a requisite for the Brand Management course I took. Long after I graduated, I found myself coming back to these pages to remind myself of the simple but effective laws prescribed in the book. I'm no longer working in marketing and business development, and the book is sitting in some cupboard, untouched for a long time. But I believe that understanding branding is impor ...more
Will Burns
I’ve read this book before in print format, but it’s one I come back to regularly. For anyone who wants to understand branding, either expert or not, this is a great resource. It break down the brand management principles concisely and provides a great way for people to understand why some brands succeed and why others fail. I will continue to revisit this through my career.
Mars
One of the worst branding/designs books I've read in a while. Repetitive to the point of being condescending, listing the same 5 brands and same 1 thesis statement (spoiler: keep your brand focused. That's it). I found myself disagreeing with a lot of their opinions and "proof" (implying causation with correlation), my favorite of which was their over-confident prediction that Amazon would tank if it proceeded to branch out from selling only books. Hello! Also not their fault, but terribly out o ...more
Victoria
Al Ries wrote THE book on positioning in the early 80s and changed marketing and the way marketers viewed their craft. For the new brand marketer, this book is a good introduction. For the seasoned marketer, a good refresher and a way to remember the most salient points.
Amanda
The laws are the same, but examples need to be refreshed. Many of the examples are repetitive, which makes distinguishing the laws somewhat challenging--distinct examples should be used for each law. And many of the examples are dated. The second half--The 22 Immutable Laws of Internet Branding--seem even more dated than the first half, perhaps because everything moves so fast with ecommerce. Additionally, the Internet laws are less punchy than the first half. The original 22 laws are each neatl ...more
Alexander
Good book! Few ideas are outdated and some brands are dead against author's expectations. But this also could teach you :-)

Преводът на български има някои глупави грешки като превод на супи Кемпбъл като сапун и описанията на супата като описания на сапун... За някои марки и продукти преводачът въобще не е знаел какво превежда.
Ebony
I was surprisingly interested in this little book. I read a dated version, but the principles of focusing on a singular idea when branding seemed so simple even though no one really followed it. The American impulse is to expand but the authors recommend a separate brand over expanding into uncharted territory. here are the gems:
own a word
be specific with that word choice
a brand is most golden when it's the first to do something
logos are best designed horizontally
competition (choice) increases d
Ayoola Stephen Efunkoya
The ideas in this masterpiece on branding are so fresh and highly applicable today even though the book was originally written about 15 years ago.

It's definitely on my to re-read list!
Tim Woods
Everything Al Ries produces is brilliant, and highly entertaining.
José Ruelas
Magnífico. Claro,digerible y con muchos ejemplos. Lo que casi todo libro debería tener.
Manit0u
Good but the examples are outdated.
Bassel
Only read the summary for it. and seems to be a good and solid book.
Ashley
I'd already read a lot of what was in this book from some of the other marketing books I've read recently. But if you're looking for a book to give you the basics, this would be a good book. The version I read included "The 11 Immutable Laws of Internet Branding" - I learned more there, although some of it is outdated. That's to be expected, given how quickly the Internet changes. Good book overall, though - lots of examples, easy to read, etc.
Rick Austin
Fascinating read about branding. Great real world examples and laws that are not necessarily obvious. Not sure you could call all of these laws immutable.

Wish there was an update since some of the internet examples are suspect - re: Yahoo being the number 1 search engine. Would love to know if they still hold to the Law of Divergence now that the Blackberry and iPhone have been so successful.
Cristián Morales
Branding part is timeless, it gives sound advice that seems applicable 12 years after written.

Regarding the Internet branding part, the authors not only do an analysis, but also try to do some projections about how the internet will behave in "the future". Trying to predict how something as dynamic as the internet will behave is just too bold, didn´t enjoy this part too much. Felt pretty stale.
Carrie
A good intro to branding for a neophyte like myself. Some of the internet branding laws are hilariously out of date though. For example, on the topic of the convergence of devices (i.e. a phone/ipod) the author says, "It will never happen. Technologies don't converge. They diverge. Yet the hype marches on." But otherwise a good primer.
Richard Stephenson
A quick, concise, and useful take on turning the nominal into the phenomenal. Sure, I can't do much with "be the 1st in a new category" so they lost a couple of points there. However, to be fair, this is a high level approach that dips down frequently to give some nitty-gritty take-aways.
mpingo
excellent book on branding. This is my first book on branding. I have ordered positioning by the same other. This 22 immutable... book will teach you what the heck is branding and major mistakes to avoid. If you are looking for how to brand your business, this is it. I recommend this book.
Jill
Interesting concepts but a lot of outdated and now incorrect examples. Lots of predictions that didn't come true based on their laws. However a good discussion of branding- just because a brand ended up working doesn't mean it was the easiest method to follow.
Marc Brodeur
If you have no background in branding, the ideas in here are very cool. Branding is inherently a "soft" science, but the ideas in here are short, sweet, and pretty solid.

It certainly made me open my mind to the big and complicated world of branding.
Steve
Fine work, but the Internet section is dated. Facing the success of some of the "never going to work" examples (Amazon selling more than books for a start) undermines this section.

Very similar to the Trout 22 laws and Touts most current.

Reka Wilson
Reading it for the second time and I had to realise that even after more than 5 years it still makes me think "God they are so right!". It is so easy to follow through and the examples given are spot on. I strongly recommend it :)
  • Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • The Brand Gap
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • OBD: Obsessive Branding Disorder: The Illusion of Business and the Business of Illusion
  • Ogilvy on Advertising
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • Cashvertising: How to Use More than 100 Secrets of Ad-agency Psychology to Make Big Money Selling Anything to Anyone
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Who am I?: 16 Basic Desires that Motivate Our Actions Define Our Personalities
Al Ries is a marketing professional and author. He is also the co-founder and chairman of the Atlanta-based consulting firm Ries & Ries with his partner and daughter, Laura Ries. Along with Jack Trout, Ries coined the term "positioning", as related to the field of marketing, and authored Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind, an industry standard on the subject.
Ries graduated from DePauw Unive
More about Al Ries...
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace Marketing Warfare The Fall of Advertising and the Rise of PR The Origin of Brands: How Product Evolution Creates Endless Possibilities for New Brands

“Futurist Faith Popcorn goes even further. By the year 2010, she predicts, 90 percent of all consumer products will be home-delivered. “They’ll put a refrigerator in your garage and bar code your kitchen. Every week they’ll restock your favorites, without your ever having to reorder. They’ll even pick up your dry cleaning, return your videotapes, whatever you need.” 0 likes