Start by marking “Vodka, Tears and Lenin's Angel: My Adventures in the Wild and Wooly Fsu (Former Soviet Union)” as Want to Read:

A reporter relates her impressions during her three-year stay in the disintegrating Soviet Union.
Published June 1st 1997 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vodka, Tears and Lenin's Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vodka, Tears and Lenin's Angel

Nicholas Beck
Post-perestroika Gorbachev and during Yeltsin's "reform" era, Jennifer Gould recounts her experiences in the frankly insane world of Russian politics. Your political ally status can be revoked at any time. Keeps you on your toes no doubt. Yeltsin's antics and foray into genocide (The Chechen war) lays the ground for hardliners and empire builders like Putin. The KGB and it's tentacles are inextricably intertwined with Russian society. She has a somewhat staccato style of writing and names and ...more
Myriam
Mar 01, 2009 Myriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of articles by Jennifer Gould, a Canadian journalist who spent many years in Russia in the 90s. We read about the famed mafia, about the poor, the street children, the insanely rich, Chechen fighters, etc. Not necessarily an accurate description of present-day Russia (things have changed since then!), but a very interesting description of Russia shortly after the collapse of communism. Gould has a great writing style. I couldn't put the book down!
grundoon
Jul 17, 2015 grundoon rated it really liked it
I began reading this at the start of a recent (first) trip to Moscow, and it turned out a fine choice, lending a layer of perspective to the entire experience. This is not so much autobiography or travelogue (the straight-forward narrative backgrounder bit is missed), but retelling of her socio-political reportage during the post-Soviet early '90s. It's fantastic and amazing reporting on its own, and made for a terrific, richly vivid baseline for this tourist.
Susan
Jul 19, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Vast travel by an American journalist living and working in Russia after the fall of Communism. This book was very informative and fascinating to read. I especially liked the personal experiences she had living in Moscow and her travels to remote places such as Kazakhstan. Good stuff.
Oct 02, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, possibly because I read it after exposure to Moscow, so some of the things she talks about I had visuals for and experience with. Also, I just like reading journalist accounts of behind-the-scenes, quotidian foo.
Antonia
Mar 01, 2014 Antonia rated it it was ok
The author's lack of language skills rendered many of her observations superficial. Always a sense of her on the outside looking in.
Bryan Hole
Bryan Hole rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Heather Miller
Heather Miller rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Paige
Paige rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2011
Jane Cornett
Jane Cornett rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Arnoldas Pautienius
Arnoldas Pautienius rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Maura
Maura rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Tracy Rose
Tracy Rose rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2016
Kristine
Kristine rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2012
Plukė Viktorija
Plukė Viktorija rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2007
Alison
Jan 30, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful look at post-Soviet Russia
Tegan J taylor
Tegan J taylor rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Rhi Myfanwy
Rhi Myfanwy rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Stacie
Stacie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2010
Paige
Paige rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2011
Wesley
Wesley rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Kathryn Buchanan
Kathryn Buchanan rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was ok
Apr 21, 2008
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Tristramn
Tristramn rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014