The Clan Corporate (The Merchant Princes, #3)

The Clan Corporate (The Merchant Princes #3)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  1,760 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Miriam Beckstein has gotten in touch with her roots and they have nearly strangled her. A young, hip, business journalist in Boston, she discovered (in The Family Trade ) that her family comes from an alternate reality, that she is very well-connected, and that her family is a lot too much like the mafia for comfort. In addition, starting with the fact that women are famil...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Clan Corporate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clan Corporate

Sueij
Dang, I wish I had let this series go after the second book.

So the first book introduces Miriam and Worlds One and Two (ours and the Clan's). The second book spends a huge amount of time bringing us into World Three and the missing branch of the Clan's family. But in book three (The Clan Corporate), World Three and the missing branch take about four pages. They're just gone. Stross spent an entire novel getting World Three up to speed, and they're just gone.

This novel is about how Miriam has bee...more
Christopher Sutch
Don't get me wrong; I'm a Charles Stross fan. A HUGE CS fan, actually. I haven't read everything he's ever written (yet), but everything I've read by him I've liked immensely... except for all the books in this series. The first two I was willing to believe that Tor had editorially screwed up beyond comprehension. But I don't think that can apply to this "novel." The scare quotes there pretty much sum up the problem: a novel is supposed to have a thing called a plot, where SOMETHING happens, whi...more
Andrew
Charles Stross's Merchant Princes series has its first less-than-stellar entry in "The Clan Corporate". I would have to say that my review here, though, is merely an indication of how much I've grown to love the series and its characters over the course of my frantic weeklong immersion in its first three books. After all, the reason I felt that this volume was less outstanding than the two that came before is because events of the story have caught up with our protagonist, Mirian Beckstein, and...more
Tal
Miriam Beckstein (American business journalist) found out in Book 1 of this series that her family comes from an alternate world. a family of world-walkers, who think disturbingly similarly to the Mafia.

Miriam, (now Countess Helge) tries to be a 21C modern woman, starting her own business and running her life as free from her manipulative and political family. however, for the Clan, women are for breeding and not much else.

the culture clash lands Miriam in plenty of trouble...and in our world, t...more
Liz Dehoff
These books keep managing to get worse. The first one had a fantastic concept that drew me in, but the execution made me wince: The writing is quite frankly terrible, and I'm sorry to say it keeps getting worse. I'm pretty sure there's a point in this book when the author randomly starts inserting the wrong character's name in a scene in which the named character could not possibly appear. The author gets the name right again ... three pages later. The editing, if there was any, is amateurish. I...more
Rebecca
It's just getting silly, at this point.
Nicolas
Dans ce troisième tome, on retrouve Miriam Beckstein avec sa famille de tarés dans son monde de tarés.
Et, curieusement, si les deux premiers tomes tentaient de mettre en place les moyens d'une science-fiction économique, ce troisième se concentre sur des intrigues politico-maritales que j'ai trouvé absolument sans intérêt. Mais je crois qu'il s'agit là d'un point de vue "masculiniste". En effet, ce tome se concentre sur les questions de place des sexes dans les différentes sociétés que peut trav...more
John
A further continuation of the series, this is not a stand alone book. More like part 1 of a section. of a series. I enjoyed it quite a bit but still have to find book 4 somewhere. sigh

Miriam makes a few mistakes and they come back to haunt her. She doesn't listen well and people take advantage. Big surprise.

Start with the earlier books first so you have some idea what's going on.
Liam Proven
Stross' "fantasy" hexalogy continues while deftly avoiding that-awkward-middle-book-sequence.

I was re-reading this - on the author's recommendation - before tackling the final three books. It's remarkably action-packed and while it is, perhaps, visibly more science-fictional than it is a traditional swords-and-sorcery fantasy, it does jab some insightful barbs into the hackneyed-by-design S&S subgenre: for instance, one major difficulty of infiltrating a parallel universe in which the Earth'...more
J.j. Metsavana
Tundub, et Vürstkaupmeeste sari on koos uue kujundusega ka uue sisu saanud. Hoopis tempokam on kui varasemad kaks teost, üks üsnagi igav liin on päris kõrvale jäetud ja samas tekitatud mõned uued. Ühesõnaga lugemine kulges ladusamalt kui kahe esimese puhul ja vahepeal kustumakippunud huvi puhuti uuesti lõkkele. Enam ei keskenduta niivõrd palju majanduspoliitika ajamisele ja poodlemisele kui varemalt. Tegelased seisavad nüüd märksa keerukamate ja suuremate probleemide ning konfliktide ees ja toim...more
Ryun
Crafted as an aside to his harder-edged, singularity-driven science fiction and as a throwback and homage to Roger Zelazny’s Amber books, Charles Stross’ Merchant Princes cycle is simply great reading.

The setup is this: A modern-day woman named Miriam finds out one day that she has the ability to steps across dimensions and is considered royalty in one such reality. This family has amassed great riches and power by carefully breeding children with said dimension-shifting ability, and they use th...more
Lisa
This is definitely the weakest of the first three books. I am also having a hard time with the plot. The heroine seems to have been transformed from a smart, somewhat impetuous, but hard hitting independent woman to a helpless wretch, and I see no hope in sight for either her redemption or the redemption of any character in the series. I am moving on to the next book, but the people and the world are becoming extremely unlikeable.
Beth
Very slow and uneventful compared to the first two books in the series.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/501940.html[return][return]Gosh. The best of the "Merchant Princes" series so far. Miriam Beckstein attempts to play the game by her own rules, but there are plenty of her relatives who have been playing it better for much longer... We see more of Miriam the former investigative journalist rather than the startup manager this time, and her ex-boyfriend turns up. Ends on a great cliff-hanger (unlike the first book). No economics lectures (unlike the second book). Can't...more
John
Frustrating! I really am enjoying this series, but this book was maddening! The first two stood reasonably well alone, and had satisfying stories that each had a beginning, middle, and end. But this one starts in the middle of things without providing lot of background for new readers, and ends with the cliffiest cliffhanger to ever cliff! Which was particularly annoying since I thought it the series was a _trilogy_, and hence was expecting a big finish :-(. So, to avoid my mistake, don't read t...more
Kalyn
So in this installment, Miriam is stuck. She created too many problems for those in power so they are now trying to control her and get her to at least follow their societal rules, even if she doesn't believe them. Her plans and hard work are destroyed rather (too) easily and she's forced by her own mother into the breeding lines of the family. Again, there doesn't seem to be any agency for the main characters but the actions of the story force them into certain paths. This was a weak addition t...more
Mathieu
I'm developing a love-hate relationship with this series... Every new installment brings a new twist, a whole new group of people with a different agenda, but it also doesn't mesh them together all that well. As if nothing could happen without going thru the heroine, and she is so busy feeling sorry for herself that she leaves them on hold most of the time.

The ending was a bit deus ex machina in this one, to boot.

sigh...

Alright, one more volume and I can move on to something else.
Märt
See raamat jäi ikka väga poolikuks. Aga mida tahta, kui kirjanik ise on öelnud, et kogu see sari on kirjutatud 3-ks raamatuks aga trükitehniliste probleemide tõttu 6-ks jaotatud.

Mis meeldis:
* Paar vägagi mõnusalt [i]blot twist[/i]-i oli
* Mõned uued karakterid olid mõnusalt välja joonistatud.
* Et kangelanna ei saagi alati kõik tehtud - lisab törtsu reaalsust.

Mis ei meeldinud:
*Kirjanik veetis palju aega uut lava ette seades. Kohati tundus, et see kestab ka veel üle poole raamatu peal.
Virgil Fuqua
Apr 28, 2009 Virgil Fuqua rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: very much so but mainly the series
Miriam is now being confine to her families world and not allowed to cross time travel. Then she gets involve with sticking her nose into secret family business. Her Uncle writes a death warrant her but suspends. She is to be married to the idiot son of the King.

This would tie the clan to the royal family. The old noblities are upset with this and the kings oldest son his heir does not like the idea. This in fact sparks the beginning of a civil war by the end of the book.
S. Ben
I have mixed feelings about this book. I continue to be satisfied with the world-building; this actually puts some thought into the economic and political consequences of parallel universes with restricted travel between them. Characterization is acceptable. The plot didn't grab, somehow, and there is no wrap-up or closure at the end, just a "and in the next chapter ... you'll have to buy the next book to find out!".

I probably will buy the next book, but not a new hardcover.
John
This book definitely suffered from mid-series blahs as the author attempts to integrate the first part of the series, Miriam's discovery of not just on parallel world but 2, with the new thread, that will probably permeate the remainder of the series - the US governments discovery of world walkers and their security "concerns" about said world walkers.

Hopefully book 4 will pick up steam again as I had to force myself through this simply based on faith in the author.
Pink
I found this book in the series first, and started reading it before realizing that there were two previous books. No matter though, as I got sucked right in and understood what was going on. Absolutely loved the idea of the World Walkers, and love the main character. When I went back and read the first two books, the experience had not been spoiled for me. I've read all 6 books in the series, and hope that Charles reneges on his promise and continues the series. Please????
Robyn Koshel
Very Unique series. Usually it is very difficult for a male author to write a good 3-dimentional female character but Stross pulls it off every time.If you like time-travel/alternative earths books- then you have to have a look at this series.
Philip Berghan-whyman
I was really disappointed by this book. I thought the Merchant Princes series had really possibilities, "riffing" as it did off the Princes in Amber idea. However this third book, which followed a fairly weak second book, simply didn't live up to it's potential. In all honesty, I found it quite boring and unimaginative. This surprised me, as Mr Stross is a fine author.
Can't like every book; I didn't like this one.
Mia
It's your standard mid-series bridging book, details and things are moving into place for the next book, and it shows. Lots of people complain at how slow this book is and lacking action, but I think part of that is that the life of a woman in the clan families' world is like that. So the reader gets to relate even more closely to the heroine, while having more information about what else is going down.
Marco
J'aime bien toute la série.

L'hypothèse de base me rappel la série de zelasky 'amber' ou autre. Mais un peu plus de modernisme dans certains concept et de l'humour subtil. Assez bien écrit avec un remonté dans mon intéret au troisième livre. CEci coincide probablement avec la vision au premier niveau d'un personnage male ou je me retrouve d'avantage que dans l'héroine principale (sic!)
Josh
The continuing saga of the "Family" who can travel between three different worlds. They can only carry whatever is on their person at the time of the transfer and so they take up smuggling of illegal goods. The family has its own rules and the main character is thrust into their world and constantly challenges and falls afoul of their world view. The book is ok, but nothing great.
Eric
This story just couldn't hold me past the first chapter. Maybe it was how the mixing of worlds occurred, but I just couldn't get into it. It might have been better if I could have started at book #1, but they weren't available at the BN bookstore when I bought this. Sadly, I've seen this too often with series: the earlier books aren't carried in the stores.
Joseph Teller
This book takes a darker turn than most of the first two, and brings the action up a notch, but with far too much character introspection and speculation/mental torture rather than story.

It also has far too much of a 9/11 influence on where things are going, something that annoys me in modern writing.
  • Pasquale's Angel
  • Conquistador
  • Designated Targets (Axis of Time, #2)
  • Resurrection Day
  • Effendi
  • Ha'penny (Small Change, #2)
  • Prince of Sparta (Falkenberg's Legion, Book 4)
  • The Betrayal (Cyteen, #1)
  • Chronospace
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • The Dance of Time (Belisarius, #6)
  • The Chasm Of Doom (Lone Wolf, #4)
  • Newton's Wake: A Space Opera
  • The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection
  • Nightflyers
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF...more
More about Charles Stross...
Accelerando The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1) Singularity Sky (Eschaton, #1) Halting State Glasshouse