Start by marking “Dinosaur vs. the Potty” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur vs. the Potty

Dinosaur vs. the Potty (Dinosaur vs.)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  759 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Dinosaur doesn't need to use the potty. Even when he's making lemonade, running through the sprinkler, having a three-juice-box lunch, and splashing in rain puddles. See? He's doing his victory dance. Wait . . . that's not a victory dance, that looks like a POTTY DANCE! Run, Dinosaur, run! Dinosaur vs. the Potty, with humor that both toddlers and parents will enjoy, is a g ...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur vs. the Potty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur vs. the Potty

Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
25th out of 189 books — 76 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyBig Nate by Lincoln PeirceBig Nate Strikes Again by Lincoln PeirceI Funny by James Patterson
Favorite Books for Boys
99th out of 103 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Oct 19, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Dinosaur does not need to use the potty. He makes lemonade and wins! No need to use the potty. He splashes in the sprinkler and wins! No need for the potty. He drinks lots of juice and wins! No potty for him. He plays in the swimming pool and wins! No potty. He splashes in puddles and his victory dance becomes something else instead. Now the question is whether Dinosaur can make it to the potty in time!

A delight to read aloud, this book takes child humor and brings it to potty training. Leaving
Dolly
May 22, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
We are way beyond the potty training stage with our girls, so I'm not sure that they would like this book. Our girls are at the stage now where they might be offended that I picked out such a "babyish" book.

But I, on the other hand, couldn't wait to read this. We read Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and I thought it was pretty funny. This story was also very cute, and I'm sure children around the ages 2 to 4 will love it. The colors are bold and the story is one that would make any parent of a young child
Britt Leigh
Jun 20, 2010 Britt Leigh rated it it was amazing
Bob Shea's little dinosaur has already entered my group's lexicon and my heart. Though I usually despise bathroom humor, I found this portrait of your typical potty trainer as a hilarious and worthwhile addition to the canon.

The genius behind this and the other dinosaur book is Shea's on-the-spot portrayal of a preschooler. Our little dinosaur's impish grin takes us through the bright, vivid mixed media collage illustrations and through his summer-like day full of liquids. The flow of the repet
Marek
Dec 08, 2015 Marek rated it really liked it
This could either be a super annoying potty training book, which I'll admit, it kind of is for me, but here's the deal...it totally speaks to my super stubborn 2 year old. He already calls himself a "baby dragon," and he's one of the feistiest kids I know (the more you try to get him to potty train, the more he pushes back). This book totally speaks his language and he thinks it is hilarious. The best part? He's more open to potty training now than ever before.

Dinosaur vs. the Potty is full of
Melody
May 05, 2012 Melody rated it liked it
This was very cute! I was at Powell's with a friend today and she insisted I read it right then. The illustrations are punchy and bright, the plot is quite realistic, and I can see where it would be very helpful in the potty-training process. It made me giggle.
Finn Pennekamp
Feb 22, 2014 Finn Pennekamp rated it really liked it
Ali/Frazier, Bird/Magic... Dinosaur/Potty.

This one tells the story of a masochistic carnivore who, despite drinking juice box after juice box, an entire pitcher of lemonade, playing in a sprinkler and jumping through puddles, STILL refuses to use the potty.

And then, because even the best of us wilt under torture, he finally breaks and the potty wins.

The real problem is that, once you know the ending, you can't read back through the book without, every time Dad reads: "And he still doesn't need
Feb 21, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childlitshelf
I chose to read this book because I have never read it before and I found it in my library at home. I thought that this book was cute and although not totally wordless, you could still use it as a wordless book. The pictures tell the story pretty well. This book would be a good book to read to young children that are learning to potty train. It would help encourage them to use the bathroom instead of elsewhere. I'm not sure I would have it in my classroom library, but I would have it in my home ...more
Feb 12, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
As someone who works in early childhood education, I've learned that the best and most beneficial books for children's literacy and language development are those that they want to read again and again and again.

I read this book at least three times a day, sometimes to the same kid.

And of course the kids love this book. Loud noises! A dinosaur! Pee! It's got everything a toilet-learning toddler could want, and it's amusing for an adult to read too (which is a very important thing, given how many
Viri
Feb 15, 2012 Viri rated it liked it
Bob Shea created a fun and easy book that childrena could visually interpret and parents or older children can read by themselves. The book is about a dinosaur who does not want to go to the potty, instead he does many other activities involving the water, like making a lemonade, playing with the sprinkler, in the pool and drinking lots of juice. Near the end the dinosaur is doing the potty dance, because he needs to use the potty and has to run to make it on time.
Bob Shea was also the illustrat
Holly Crepps
Sep 18, 2012 Holly Crepps rated it really liked it
"Dinosaur vs. the Potty" is a helpful book for me to read from time to time, because my age group of kids are potty training. This book has bright illustrations that keep the children's attention throughout. They also enjoy it because they can relate to the dinosaur. As the dinosaur goes through his day with normal activities, he keeps saying he doesn't have to use the potty. He keeps winning. However, he finally reaches the point where he has to go and let the potty win. It is a simple story, b ...more
Stephanie Croaning
Jun 02, 2015 Stephanie Croaning rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
Very young children, and parents of children of all ages, will enjoy this humorous picture book. Dinosaur is amazing! He can make lemonade, run in the sprinkler, splash in puddles, and never needs to go potty...until he has to go RIGHT NOW! This book made me laugh remembering all the children I have known who wait until the very last minute to go.
Lily Nguyen
Oct 07, 2014 Lily Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A perfect book for any kid who denies needing to use the bathroom or forgets to use it during the day! Not only does it deliver the message in a fun energetic way it allows you to involve the whole class without having to single out those one or two or ten defiant potty users! Cute illustrations with a lot of roaring!
Margaret Samuels
Feb 21, 2016 Margaret Samuels rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
G 5yrs: "It was very great. It got 5 stars because at the ending, the potty won! And everybody else loses. The dinosaur learned you need to go potty if you need to. And he did the potty dance! that was very funny. I think that the next dinosaur book he should have to battle the potty."
Erin
Aug 06, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
Dinosaur does all sorts of things that involve liquids--making lemonade, playing in the sprinkler, drinking juice boxes... He conquers them all! But will he win against the potty?

Good for toddler storytimes.
Erma Talamante
May 20, 2014 Erma Talamante rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s
An awesome book where the dinosaur is an action hero taking on various challenges - and WINS!! But when Dinosaur goes toe-to-toe with a potty, will he retain his title? It's close, but you have to read it, yourself!
jacky
Mar 01, 2011 jacky rated it really liked it
So excited to read this when I saw it on the new shelf at the library. I read it quickly to myself since Natalie isn't yet versed in the potty. But this book is coming home with us when we start potty training. It was just as funny and adorable as the first one. As the book goes on, you start to squirm a little thinking that Dinosaur must have to pee. I liked how there was still roaring, as that was our favorite out loud part of the first book. My only concern with this book is kids might think ...more
Mar 03, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
This would be funny to read while potty training but my two year old loved that he could ROAR with the dinosaur. One of his new favorites
The Book Box
Jun 02, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
I love the Dinosaur books! The "ROAR!" is my favorite part. I liked this one because Dinosaur did a lot of things I like to do.
Lauren
Jul 19, 2014 Lauren rated it it was amazing
My daughter loves this book as part of her bedtime story canon. Loves to roar and is picking up on the use of the potty.
Luis Miguel Luna
Jun 26, 2014 Luis Miguel Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Roaring. My son couldn't help but also roar, which made reading the rest of the book tricky. I liked the book overall.
Lynn
Jan 02, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing
I read this aloud to co-workers (I work with books & found this one by itself in a box) & it was hilarious.
Rana Ansari
Oct 20, 2015 Rana Ansari rated it it was amazing
This is totally hilarious! Unlike other kiddie books, I never get tired of reading this to my three year old.
Amy
Aug 08, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This one was my nephew's library pick. There was a lot of roaring and running amok in this book, and I was really not loving reading this one aloud--it's tough to make authentic sounding dino roars on every page! :-) Then we got to the part where Dinosaur had to get to the potty now, and all four of us in the car (my sister, niece, nephew and I) started to crack up! That pre-schooler mad dash to the bathroom was wonderfully captured in this book! A great book for pre-schoolers who are reasonably ...more
Colleen
Mar 11, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is so cute! I bought this book as a gift for 2 friends with little boys!
Maggi Rohde
May 27, 2015 Maggi Rohde rated it liked it
Our favorite page was the sprinkler one. Dinosaur wins (our hearts) again!
Michael
Feb 25, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: the-kids-books
The potty always wins. One day my kids will realize that...
Kristen Jaques
Jul 01, 2015 Kristen Jaques rated it it was amazing
I love this dinosaur. And wish I had his bladder.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This one was fun to get for Little Miss, who happens to be having some, um, procrastination issues. It's very simple, but it's fun. My husband had to explain the "vs." to them the first time he read it.

Little Miss gave it a good review... "Perfecto! And I love it and I love it, love and love it... [What did you love?] When he does a victory dance but it's really a potty dance. When he's watering his pretend whale, because it's pink. I like the cover because the dinosaur is running to the potty.
Emma
  • I'm Not.
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • Jingle-Jingle
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.
More about Bob Shea...