Dinosaur vs. the Potty

Dinosaur vs. the Potty (Dinosaur vs.)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Dinosaur doesn't need to use the potty. Even when he's making lemonade, running through the sprinkler, having a three-juice-box lunch, and splashing in rain puddles. See? He's doing his victory dance. Wait . . . that's not a victory dance, that looks like a POTTY DANCE! Run, Dinosaur, run! Dinosaur vs. the Potty, with humor that both toddlers and parents will enjoy, is a g...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur vs. the Potty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur vs. the Potty

Turtle Wish by Murielle CyrFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHow I Became a Pirate by Melinda LongAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Boy Friendly Picture Books
15th out of 81 books — 47 voters
The Silly Potty Story by Vanessa RouseThe Silly Potty Story by Vanessa RouseHow to Potty Train Your Monster by Kelly DiPucchioBig Boy Potty by Mary    LeeOnce Upon a Potty by Alona Frankel
Best Kids Potty Training Book
8th out of 10 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Dinosaur does not need to use the potty. He makes lemonade and wins! No need to use the potty. He splashes in the sprinkler and wins! No need for the potty. He drinks lots of juice and wins! No potty for him. He plays in the swimming pool and wins! No potty. He splashes in puddles and his victory dance becomes something else instead. Now the question is whether Dinosaur can make it to the potty in time!

A delight to read aloud, this book takes child humor and brings it to potty training. Leaving...more
Dolly
May 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
We are way beyond the potty training stage with our girls, so I'm not sure that they would like this book. Our girls are at the stage now where they might be offended that I picked out such a "babyish" book.

But I, on the other hand, couldn't wait to read this. We read Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and I thought it was pretty funny. This story was also very cute, and I'm sure children around the ages 2 to 4 will love it. The colors are bold and the story is one that would make any parent of a young child...more
Britt Leigh
Bob Shea's little dinosaur has already entered my group's lexicon and my heart. Though I usually despise bathroom humor, I found this portrait of your typical potty trainer as a hilarious and worthwhile addition to the canon.

The genius behind this and the other dinosaur book is Shea's on-the-spot portrayal of a preschooler. Our little dinosaur's impish grin takes us through the bright, vivid mixed media collage illustrations and through his summer-like day full of liquids. The flow of the repet...more
Little Miss and the Legomeister
This one was fun to get for Little Miss, who happens to be having some, um, procrastination issues. It's very simple, but it's fun. My husband had to explain the "vs." to them the first time he read it.

Little Miss gave it a good review... "Perfecto! And I love it and I love it, love and love it... [What did you love?] When he does a victory dance but it's really a potty dance. When he's watering his pretend whale, because it's pink. I like the cover because the dinosaur is running to the potty....more
Melody
This was very cute! I was at Powell's with a friend today and she insisted I read it right then. The illustrations are punchy and bright, the plot is quite realistic, and I can see where it would be very helpful in the potty-training process. It made me giggle.
Finn Pennekamp
Ali/Frazier, Bird/Magic... Dinosaur/Potty.

This one tells the story of a masochistic carnivore who, despite drinking juice box after juice box, an entire pitcher of lemonade, playing in a sprinkler and jumping through puddles, STILL refuses to use the potty.

And then, because even the best of us wilt under torture, he finally breaks and the potty wins.

The real problem is that, once you know the ending, you can't read back through the book without, every time Dad reads: "And he still doesn't need...more
Viri
Bob Shea created a fun and easy book that childrena could visually interpret and parents or older children can read by themselves. The book is about a dinosaur who does not want to go to the potty, instead he does many other activities involving the water, like making a lemonade, playing with the sprinkler, in the pool and drinking lots of juice. Near the end the dinosaur is doing the potty dance, because he needs to use the potty and has to run to make it on time.
Bob Shea was also the illustrat...more
Holly Crepps
"Dinosaur vs. the Potty" is a helpful book for me to read from time to time, because my age group of kids are potty training. This book has bright illustrations that keep the children's attention throughout. They also enjoy it because they can relate to the dinosaur. As the dinosaur goes through his day with normal activities, he keeps saying he doesn't have to use the potty. He keeps winning. However, he finally reaches the point where he has to go and let the potty win. It is a simple story, b...more
Erin
Dinosaur does all sorts of things that involve liquids--making lemonade, playing in the sprinkler, drinking juice boxes... He conquers them all! But will he win against the potty?

Good for toddler storytimes.
E.  Talamante
An awesome book where the dinosaur is an action hero taking on various challenges - and WINS!! But when Dinosaur goes toe-to-toe with a potty, will he retain his title? It's close, but you have to read it, yourself!
jacky
So excited to read this when I saw it on the new shelf at the library. I read it quickly to myself since Natalie isn't yet versed in the potty. But this book is coming home with us when we start potty training. It was just as funny and adorable as the first one. As the book goes on, you start to squirm a little thinking that Dinosaur must have to pee. I liked how there was still roaring, as that was our favorite out loud part of the first book. My only concern with this book is kids might think...more
Amanda
This would be funny to read while potty training but my two year old loved that he could ROAR with the dinosaur. One of his new favorites
Lauren
My daughter loves this book as part of her bedtime story canon. Loves to roar and is picking up on the use of the potty.
Luis Miguel Luna
Lots of Roaring. My son couldn't help but also roar, which made reading the rest of the book tricky. I liked the book overall.
Amy
This one was my nephew's library pick. There was a lot of roaring and running amok in this book, and I was really not loving reading this one aloud--it's tough to make authentic sounding dino roars on every page! :-) Then we got to the part where Dinosaur had to get to the potty now, and all four of us in the car (my sister, niece, nephew and I) started to crack up! That pre-schooler mad dash to the bathroom was wonderfully captured in this book! A great book for pre-schoolers who are reasonably...more
Jessica
Very cute. Catches my children's attention and makes me laugh.
Candice
Aug 06, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A fun book to remind children what the potty is for. As with Dinosaur vs. Bedtime, this book features a little dinosaur who wins every challenge. Dinosaur vs. making lemonade - Dinosaur wins! Dinosaur vs. splashing in the sprinkler. Dinosaur wins! Soon Dinosaur is winning so much that he is doing a victory dance. Or is that a victory dance? Maybe it's a potty dance. Can Dinosaur get to the potty on time?
Beth Chandler
How could you resist this monumental theme, combining two major preschoolers' obsessions?? Dinosaur triumphs over everything s/he does, while resisting an ever-increasing need for the potty. Will Dinosaur get to the potty in time?

The illustrations are simple with implications of hugeness that make Dinosaur pop off the page.

Highly recommended for two-year-olds through four-year-olds whether engaged in potty battles or not.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This dinosaur book has great illustrations and a clever concept. Young kids love dinosaurs and roaring, so you really can't go wrong with reading this one to 2, 3, and 4 year olds. The text is sparse though, and the story is minimal, so not a great story time read.

I do love the bright colors and the repetition of the roar though. I did enjoy this book and my two year old daughter did as well.
Danielle
Dinosaur does not have to go to the bathroom. She can take down three juice boxes, lemonade, running through the sprinkler and puddle jumping, and still not have to go to the bathroom. This book captures that denial we all feel when we are having just too much fun to stop what we are doing and take care of business. Fantastic illustrations and text lead to a nail-biting finish...will dinosaur make it?
Mary
This is a funny book about a dinosaur who says that he doesn’t have to use the potty. He does all kinds of things that you’d think would make him need to use it, but they don’t. He finally needs to use it at the end of the book and barely makes it in time! It is a repetitive book, very zany, and good for kids especially because of the use of the word potty. Perfect for ECE.
Lori
Gave this book to my nephew- three years old. Funny and instructive! Nw we talk about how we don't want to be doing the "potty dance" like the dinosaur! You see the dinosaur NEVER says he has to go to the potty. He is always just fine . . .until he ISN"T and there is a big emergency. Hoping the book helps give my boy a nudge in the right direction!
Missy Kirtley
We've been struggling with potty training, and have read a LOT of potty training books lately. This one was recommended by a friend, and I didn't find it to be all that great. Maybe if we put my daughter ON the potty, and read the book... maybe it would be more likely to make her think about going pee pee. It was cute, but it's going back to the library.
Meadow
Dinosaur doesn't have to go! Roar, roar, roar!
Joanne
Offspring adore this book. They follow along with the roaring, and they shriek with delight when dinosaur does the potty dance.

And given that they are sometimes resistant to stopping what they are doing to go to the bathroom, I like being able to remind them of Dinosaur.
Melanie
A young dinosaur enjoys outdoor summer activities while not using the potty. He makes lemonade, splashes in the pool, eats a lunch with 3 juice boxes and plays with the hose. But the potty finally wins when all of the water activity catch up with the young dinosaur.
Jaima
The first time I read this aloud I got very tired of roaring. But since my three year old cannot get enough of Dinosaur, I read it enough times until I was seduced by this book's charm. It is a great read, full of laughs. But you have to be willing to do the voices.
The Library Lady
Okay, this will NOT help you potty train your reluctant child. But it is a wonderful portrayal of every child who, remind though you will remind them to use the potty, waits till the very last second. Add in that this is a dinosaur and you have a preschool winner.
Danielle
This book doesn't follow the logic of the other books in the series. You would think the only way the potty wins is if dino can't make it there in time but that is not the case. This one isn't as fun as Dinosaur vs. bedtime.
Cheryl
A cute story to read with very young children who are in the process of being potty trained. Dinosaur drinks a lot, and participates in lots of water related activities. He doesn't need to use the potty--or does he?
  • Brontorina
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Little Oink
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Birds
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
Dinosaur vs. Bedtime Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great I'm a Shark Dinosaur vs. the Library New Socks