Start by marking “Deposition: Poems” as Want to Read:
Deposition: Poems

Deposition: Poems

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Poet Katie Ford's debut collection, Deposition,confronts God in a language as shifting and ecstatic as divine encounter

This comes out of folklore.
Invented because tenderness at times
must be written in. There was a woman.
There was a cross. But in fact
they have hung him too high
to be touched.
—from "A Woman Wipes the Face of Jesus"
Published November 1st 2002 by Graywolf Press

To ask other readers questions about Deposition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deposition

Abby
I like the probing and passionate search for divine answers that Ford is on in this book, but I agree with the previous reviewer about her lack of punctuation. It makes the eye move quickly over the page, but it is frustrating that this urgency, used consistently throughout the collection, never leads to anything. While I think this sensation is intentional (what better in a book about the frustrated search for truth than to feel frustrated reading it), I think in some places it felt alientating ...more
Katy
Breathless poetry, urgent and dense to the point of obscurity at times. I was saddened to find myself unable to relate to a good portion of the work. The mastery of language and sharp images were astonishing at times, but the actual meaning of a large portion of the poems was often lost on me (and I read A LOT of poetry, so this was frustrating).
Kent
At the time this book was published, Ford got a lot of media attention describing her growing up in what I think was some kind of Christian cult. This kind of information can be interesting, but also distracting. Especially in a book like this that doesn't seem as intent on identity poetics. However, when laying that biography over the arc of the book, it reveals an interesting weaving of biography and theology.
Richard
I find that religiously oriented poems rarely move me and, as a rule, these did not. More tellingly, though, all the poems in the book began to sound the same to me after a while; her syntactical experiments, while interesting to me intellectually, rarely get the language to sing, at least for me; and so they become repetitive, mere habit.
Rob
baffle and pierce.

"...If you knew anything about fire
you would know winter hardly matters.

And if you knew winter
you would know it
cannot be undone, only
pressed beneath the fields."
Ashley Green
I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan (Though this is probably because I didn't like the last breath poems, and there were quite a few of them). She is a very good writer, it is simply that her style is not one I enjoy.
Andrea
May 13, 2007 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
This is a really interesting collection. Very Biblical in theme and tone, but with some sass, which I like. If you like Jorie Graham, I bet you will like Katie Ford.
Jessa
Jessa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ross Holmes
Ross Holmes marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Pinalope Welch
Pinalope Welch marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Arielle Lipset
Arielle Lipset marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Carrie Chappell
Carrie Chappell marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Laurie Williams
Laurie Williams marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Brittany M.
Brittany M. marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2014
Kayla Helfrich
Kayla Helfrich marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Colosseum: Poems Blood Lyrics: Poems Second Thyme Around Poetry (Poetry, November 2012, Volume 201, Number 2) The Helen Burns Poetry Anthology: New Voices from the Academy of American Poets