Start by marking “Crossing Over” as Want to Read:
Crossing Over

Crossing Over (Soulvine Moor Chronicles #1)

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  66 reviews
"A debut that is ingenious, exciting, enthralling, and impossible to put down! A true original!"*
Roger Kilbourne has the ability to "cross over" into the land of the dead and speak with its residents. It is a startling gift, and not a pleasant one. Roger manages to escape his brutal uncle, and thinks his new job at the palace laundry will keep him safe; instead, there are
Published June 24th 2010 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Over

Debbie
I enjoyed the world that was built in this story but as for the story itself I thought it was just ok. I never came to like Roger. I know that he was raised in an abusive environment and that probably stunted his social growth but I found him him to be irritating and dislikable. As is typical of most YA books these days there is the love interest. After he escapes life with his abusive uncle he fixates on Lady Cecilia and falls in "love" with her. I imagine it's because she's the first beautiful ...more
Kimberly
Soooooo uneven. Parts of this were a solid two, but it soared at times to a four-star book.

A few things:
-I know the protagonist is a 14/15 year old male, but the constant references to his erection were jarring and out of place most of the time. One time he referred to it as he was unintentionally feeling up a mentally handicapped woman...very uncomfortable.
-The middle just dragged, but it picked up nicely at the end and was very exciting.
-I didn't buy the romance.
-It feels a lot like an unfinis
Rea
Full review can be found here.

The story starts by putting its best foot forward as we observe Roger, a slave to his uncle, being forced to cross over to the land of the dead in order to scam mourners out of their money. The author’s idea of this land where the dead exist is not at all what I was expecting and so much the better for it. The way that it’s described, it’s as though the dead are all waiting for something maybe? They sit and stare at nothing; they’re, for the most part, unresponsive
Kit
I snagged an ARC of this book (out in October) when I saw that it had a back jacket blurb from none other than Connie Willis, and I'm glad I did.

The first clue that Kendall is doing something new and different is the setting. I'm so used to the standard quasi-medieval fantasy world - motto: "all the pageantry, none of the dirt" - that when Kendall includes more believable details like disease and bad food, it's powerful.

The story follows a teenage boy with the ability to "cross over" into the la
Delaney Austin
This book isn’t a good one, but nor is it horrible. It is definitely creative and well-written--the setting is absolutely enticing and well thought-out, the drama is believable, and the author uses captivating descriptive language and lets the reader create a perfect image in their mind as to what’s going on, no matter how elegant or brutal. With Roger as the narrator, you are able to know how he feels towards every situation he becomes involved in. The dialogue is also unique--the characters s ...more
Natalia
Fantastyka to gatunek, który kocham całym sercem, ale o tym już nie raz Wam wspominałam i pewnie jeszcze nie raz to zrobię. Po co o tym wspominam? Abyście zrozumieli, z jakiego powodu sięgam po tego typu książki bez głębszego zastanowienia. Dlaczego w ich przypadku wystarcza mi po prostu sam blurb, no i może jeszcze klimatyczna okładka, aby porwać je z półki? Zacznę może jednak od samego początku…

Roger Kilbourne jest już prawie mężczyzną, jednak, co mu po tym skoro ciągle żyje w strachu przed sw
Adrian Chua
The book sorta screams "BUY ME!!" when you pick it up. I read the blurb and it caught my attention, it seemed dark, mysterious and enthralling.

I read it, and after being acquainted to Roger for half a book, I find him really shallow. There's supposedly some romance I guess, but it's mostly between a hormone enraged Roger fantasising about one day being able to be with Lady Cecilia. He had Maggie all the way and he couldn't see it up until the very damn end! Seriously Roger, open your eyes!

But b
April
The premise is interesting and has a lot of potential but far too dull for my tastes. Nothing 'stood out' at all and (referring to the erotic segments); I never got around to them, I lost interest so soon.

May try again at some point but it'll be placed very low on my to read list.
Just Me
Hmmm, not sure what I think about this one. It was captivatingly written. I picked it up because of the title, not knowing how the story would unfold. I may read another of her books, just to compare.
Hallie
Review up on Strange Horizons.

I disagree -- strongly -- with Connie Willis. Has the sky fallen yet?
Mollie
When I first read the summary, I thought this book had a lot of potential. It did not live up to my expectations.
Gertjan Van den broek
It most definitly was an OK book.
Some of the environments definitly had a quality to them , though at times some of them just seemed a bit too bland or obscure.
The protaganist was not to my liking and the story was also not that interesting, but the things that happen from time to time kept me going through the book, and I'm glad to have read it through.
The writing quality goes up and down, being very fun and exciting to read to "oh god please stop being such an idiot Roger".
It's not a hard book
Megan
****SPOILER ALERT****: Anna Kendall poses an interesting question and places her main character Roger into a quite a predicament from the start of this story. And while the concept is intriguing - a boy who can cross over to the land of the dead by inflicting pain on himself - Kendall's execution was a little lacking. I found it difficult to like Roger until about the last third of the book when he finally decided to take charge of his life and situation. Now, since he is only 14 at the story's ...more
Beth Kemp
This is a classic fantasy in some respects: vaguely medieval-type setting, magical elements, strong sense of a class divide. At the same time, none of these are exactly as expected: the 'land of the dead' is an original idea (as far as I can tell), and the society is matriarchal - the characters find it completely bizarre that in other societies men rule, as women clearly should be in charge as the givers of life. Roger's gift/curse/ability is a unique product of this unique world and is the mai ...more
Charlotte Phillips
This was a rather interesting and unique book that seemed to hold my attention form the very first word to the last one. the novel itself is based within a time period that I am not myself use to, its set in the olden times when kings and queens were actually very influential people and being on there good side was the most important thing. This though I felt was a wonderful element to the book itself because it meant that the imagination was widened out to consider all the differences that ther ...more
Karissa
I do wish I could say that I enjoyed this book, but really I didn't. It started out promising with young Roger being beat by his uncle in order to con hard working patrons out of their money. Roger crosses over to the world of the dead and speaks to whomever the patron wishes to hear from. But of course everyone in the world of the dead is catatonic so trying to speak to any of them is useless.
But his life changes when his uncle attempts to rope him into (I don't remember the term for this) amb
Netanella
Great concept with some execution issues. Roger Kilbourne can cross over from the living to the land of the dead. So of course his sadistic uncle beats the living daylights out of him routinely and uses the information Roger gains from the dead to sell to the living. Pretty world, ain't it? Oh, and Roger is only 14.

I expected the setting to be contemporary, but it's not, it's a fantasy set in a queendom that's embroiled in a civil war between the aging monarch Queen, let's call her Blue, who ref
Carter Davenport
"Darkness, Cold, Dirt choking my mouth, worms in my eyes, Earth imprisoning my flesh-less arms and legs". This is what Rodger from the book Crossing Over by Anna Kendall would think right before he would cross over to the country of the dead". That's seems really interesting and all, but with all the bad writing and very generic story line, it's not that great of a book.

The book starts off with with Rodger explaining the first time he ever crossed over to the country of the dead. Which if you di
Gillian Cohen
When I first heard about CROSSING OVER I was pretty intrigued about the book and made a crazy dash to my bookstore to pick a copy up.
Sadly it didn't stand up to the hype that I had created for myself, open reading the opening chapters I found myself falling a sleep and that for is a first. I haven't experienced a book up until CROSSING OVER where I had to fight to stay awake just to see if the story line might pick up. It was a tough couple of days.

Anna felt a need to randomly and unnecessarily
Mackenzie
Two Stars...only because I'm in a good mood from finally finishing this book,otherwise it would be only one.

If you're like me then you probably picked up this book because of its unique cover, which i will openly admit is still one of my favorites on my book shelf, and 'The Land of the Dead' just seemed too spooky and cool to pass up. Wrong. I was most excited to read Kendall's idea of 'the land beyond' only to discover that it was the most boring and depressing version of heaven/hell/limbo/what
Kim
I wanted to like "Crossing Over" more than I did. I had learned about this book at Norwest Con a few years ago when I attended a reading by Nancy Kress, aka Anna Kendall. Apparently, since the this is a young adult novel with subject matter very different from the science fiction that Nancy Kress usually writes, the publisher decided to have Nancy use a different pen name for "Crossing Over".

So, Nancy Kress read the first chapter of "Crossing Over" during the reading at Norwest Con and I liked i
Rosa
This review is also published at http://living-for-books.blogspot.com/

"The land of the dead is a dangerous place to be... and so is the land of the living"

Roger Kilbourne can cross over to the land of the dead... he just needs immense pain to do it. Of course inflicting the pain doesn't bother his uncle, Hartah, who takes advantage of Roger's "gift" whenever possible.

So when the promise of a better life comes along, Roger grabs it with both hands and hangs on. Roger's new life at the royal cour
Mathilde Kirkeby
Roger can cross over to the land of the dead, if he is subjected to pain. He is an orphan living with his aunt and uncle, and the abusive uncle uses Roger to rip off people that have lost a loved one.
Through various circumstances Roger escapes and comes to the main capital where the Queen discovers Roger's abilities and wants to use them for her own good.

Although the plot sounds captivating, I was left feeling disappointed. The book is not bad, but it's very uneven - just when it captivates you,
Katherine
Dannielle R
I was really interested in the concept of this book, however, I feel it fell short in a lot of ways. It was very repetitive in places and sometimes felt a little to predictable. The quality was very uneven as well, having some parts of the book being wonderful and exciting while others fell vastly short.

The characters weren't favorable either. I found the main character, Roger to be very whiny and shallow. Not something I expected from a teenage boy who's grown up with an abusive uncle and a gif
Morag Gray
Roger can cross over to the land of the dead and speak with them. His brutish uncle uses Roger's gift to rip off gullible women. A change in fortune and Roger ends up at Court, where the beautiful, is she/isn't she evil queen uses Roger's gift in an attempt to win a war. Just when things are at their worst for the queen Roger escapes, in pursuits of the beautiful, but immoral and stupid, Lady Cecilia, accompanied by the plain but clever and worthy kitchen maid, Maggie.
About two pages from the e
Martha Schwalbe
I like the idea of traveling into the Land of the Dead and returning. I like the idea of two queens, mother and daughter, in conflict over their lands. I like the idea of young men risking life and limb to save a lover. This book showed great promise. I read the first 100 pages in a few hours and then it all came tumbling down.
I was disappointed with the writing and the story. The writing caught me up, then left me hanging, wondering what happened to it. I do not know if the problem lay with the
Christine
Roger has a peculiar gift. When he experiences intense pain he escapes it by “crossing over” to the land of the dead. As a teenager he was forced by his uncle to use this gift to make money at local fairs. Through a tragic chain of events he ends up at royal court in the midst of a battle between the Queen and her successor. After the Queen’s murder Roger is drawn into the middle of the intrigue, using his gift to help the Queendom.

There is a lot intrigue, sci/fi fantasy, a taste of historical f
Monica
Im not quite sure how i feel about this book.On one hand i couldnt stop reading it but when i did finally finish it, it just seemed like it wasn't complete.I never truly understood the meaning of alot of the story,nor did the author offer complete closer.How was he able to cross over in the first place,what happend to his parents and more.Also i found the main caracter spineless and not somebody you really could like. Dont get me wrong i know he was hurt all the time and used and wasn't raised t ...more
Kaye
Mar 19, 2011 Kaye rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kaye by: Kathryn
Shelves: young-adult
Roger is a 14-15 year old boy who has the gift to cross over to the land of the dead. He lives in a kind of medieval land that always has Queens for rulers. With that set up I thought this would a lot more interesting than it was. Nothing much happens in the middle of the book. I only finished because I wanted to see what was the purpose of Roger's gift. The end did get more exciting but there were so many unanswered questions. I think my biggest problem was that I didn't like Roger very much an ...more
  • Do-Over
  • Man Gave Names to All the Animals
  • One Pup's Up
  • Rescue Bunnies
  • I'm Big!
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • Future Imperfect (Future Imperfect, #1)
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • Awakening (Lily Dale, #1)
  • Selkie Girl
  • Grace
  • The Space Between Trees
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Vintage Veronica
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • The Day I Killed James
  • Poison Ink
  • Dead Girl in Love (Dead Girl, #3)

Anna Kendall was born in Ireland and emigrated with her parents to the United States at the age of twelve. For several years she taught fourth grade. Anna lives in Seattle, where she plays a lot of chess. Crossing Over is her debut YA novel.
More about Anna Kendall...

Soulvine Moor Chronicles (3 books)
  • Dark Mist Rising
  • A Bright and Terrible Sword
Dark Mist Rising A Bright and Terrible Sword College Paperbuddy: The Quick, Friendly Guide to Writing Quality Research Papers Das Land hinter den Nebeln: Roman - [Buch der Seelen 2] (German Edition) Der Pfad der Seelen: Roman - [Buch der Seelen 1] (German Edition)